PDA

View Full Version : I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!

???
04-15-2006, 09:48 AM
With people saying "oh look superhuman people boring"and "this film is so rubbish because iits sooooo unrealistic"
look right most of the thing they do are part of the game that preludes the film like the high jumping it was done on the game in some limit breaks.
also the comment "oh they seem to be taking an endless amout of damage from bullets and weapons" its just their HP levels ok that was also on the game.
if you watch this film and dont play the game then dont knock it because the film is meant to be the same world so they have to have their abilities otherwise the sequel is useless

Setzer Gabianni
04-15-2006, 01:10 PM
People probably forget that this is FINAL FANTASY, so almost anything can happen. Like Loz swinging Tifa around like a rag doll.

~Setzer Gabianni

???
04-15-2006, 01:36 PM
People probably forget that this is FINAL FANTASY, so almost anything can happen. Like Loz swinging Tifa around like a rag doll.

~Setzer Gabianni
exactly someone understands that this film is based on a game

Ishin Ookami
04-16-2006, 01:22 AM
By that logic, Super Mario Brothers is a great movie, as is tomb raider. Classics even.

Video games have their own logic, and exist upon it. The film industry has its own logic, and exists within certain constraints. You cant expect to make a film and not use the rules of cinema while you are directing it and still have it turn out to be a quality product.

Only Metal Gear Solid has ever really been able to bridge both mediums successfully. But a good portion of it's success relies on it's own tounge in cheek style whenever the video game elements meet the cinematic elements.

cloud20747
04-16-2006, 06:56 AM
With people saying "oh look superhuman people boring"and "this film is so rubbish because iits sooooo unrealistic"
look right most of the thing they do are part of the game that preludes the film like the high jumping it was done on the game in some limit breaks.
also the comment "oh they seem to be taking an endless amout of damage from bullets and weapons" its just their HP levels ok that was also on the game.
if you watch this film and dont play the game then dont knock it because the film is meant to be the same world so they have to have their abilities otherwise the sequel is useless
I agree but some people just want to believe what they want to believe. so let them be idiots on there own

Lychon
04-16-2006, 07:07 AM

~Setzer Gabianni

Or Rinoa being Ultimecia. It's Final Fantasy.

-LYCHON

darkchrono
04-27-2006, 12:40 AM
I don't have any problem with the battle sequences (as it takes place in another world so who knows what the laws of that world are.

But what I think really brings down this film and why in the end it would get no higher than a grade that is just above average is the poor character development for all the new characters (which the movie is pretty much based around) and all the choppy story sequences.

The various scenes do not flow very well together at all in Advent Children and when you look at all the new characters that Square added in for this movie it becomes painfully obvious that they are familiar with creating characters for 50 hour long video games and not 90 minute long movies.

All the new characters were very poorly put together. And it might not have been that big of a deal if they didn't put so much focus on them and instead focused in on the characters from the game that were already developed. But the downfall of this movie is the fact that they chose to put the focus of the story onto those poorly put together characters.

LunarWeaver
04-27-2006, 01:38 AM
I loved the action sequences, and think it syncs up pretty well with the universe of the games. To say the gravity-defying jumps is completely out of place and illogical but find characters like Red XIII, evil black water, the lifestream, and all that jazz perfectly normal as based in reality is a little...strange.

Everyone whined the first FF movie wasn't like the games at all... Now we have one that is just a CG version of a sequel compressed for time, and we're all whining about it.

This movie is just a bunch of people sitting around, thinking up what they think works and will be fun to watch, and then doing it. They aren't making the movie for any one person to love personally, and people seem to forget that...

Besides, I wonder how well your movie would have turned out if Square said "Make me an hour and a half sequel to Final Fantasy VII in movie form." What would you have done? Had a bunch of talking? Nope, everyone will hate you. Action? Nah, too unrealistic. Bring back Aeris? No that's asking for fanboy hate. Bring back Sephiroth? That's milking the villain. Have all the characters in it? Not enough time to properly develop them all, fanboys hate you for that one. Focus only on Cloud? Now everyone's ticked you didn't include the others more. New villains? People want to see Sephiroth... Loops and loops.

Square is a victim of its own popularity: It's become a thing elevated beyond what it actually is.

Don't analyze and either like it or hate it, just like all movies.

darkchrono
04-27-2006, 02:00 AM
What Square should do if they want to start making sequels to their games is make seuquels that are games instead of making sequels that are movies. Because Square has proven through Spirits Within and now Advent Children (though Advent Children is not as bad) is that they are just not very good at creating storylines and developing characters for shorter time frames than they are used to.

When you choose to make something in movie format you should do a good job in creating your story in movie format. And they did a very average job of that with Advent Children (and a very poor job with Spirits Within).

Don't acuse people of whining when they are just stating the obvious in that Square is just not very good in creating anything other than 50 hour long video games. Anybody can create fancy characters and backgrounds. But the true test of how good you are in creating 90-120 minute long shows is how good the storyline flows during that time and how interesting and developed its characters are that they made for that time frame. And in Square's case both times they tried to do it in that amount of time they failed.

Jack
04-27-2006, 02:02 AM

People are allowed to have their opinions. You talking about them this way makes you as bad as those who you are talking about. Accept their opinion, and ignore it (if needs be).

Also, film and game are different media too. The comparison to game is pointless because it is a different media, so it's best we accept it as a film alone. As such, problems arise because of the cross-over (people might say). As such, the people you are fed up of, have a valid point.

Relax.

Shiny
04-27-2006, 02:09 AM
I liked the movie although I thought it was odd that Cloud was shot in the eye and suddenly the blood wasn't there anymore...I was like :O_O: magical blood? Okay then. His eye wasn't even damaged! Also, no one ever seemed to use any potions when they got hurt which is something that is very Final Fantasy. Everything else was fine, because it was just fantasy, but I got a kick out that eye part.

LunarWeaver
04-27-2006, 04:13 AM
I liked the movie although I thought it was odd that Cloud was shot in the eye and suddenly the blood wasn't there anymore...I was like :O_O: magical blood? Okay then. His eye wasn't even damaged! Also, no one ever seemed to use any potions when they got hurt which is something that is very Final Fantasy. Everything else was fine, because it was just fantasy, but I got a kick out that eye part.

If someone had tossed a Potion I would have grinned like a silly circus Fanboy :p Like Victory Fanfare as Loz's ringtone... Yeah, I giggled *cough*

darkchrono
04-27-2006, 05:11 AM
Two interesting reviews that talk about the problems that this movie has.

http://www.hollywoodbitchslap.com/review.php?movie=14321&reviewer=392

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-1158983/reviews.php?critic=columns&sortby=default&page=1&rid=1444975

FaTaLfURy
05-18-2006, 03:16 PM
I think what needs to be done is for someone to write the whole plot down so that everyone can see it bec. ultimately most people seem to have forgotten WHY this movie was done, WHO it's really for and WHAT it's all about. If you've watched it about 10 times then I guess you'd really understand (I personally recommend the subtitled version 'coz I honestly think the dubbed one's farfetched and it sucks). If I had the time and the patience, I would definitely do it just to make you guys understand. Hmmm... maybe I will. ^_^

Anyway, about the thing with Square not good with doing movies, we all KNOW that. Games are really their forte. But hey, who said it isn't legal to do movies even if you're not good at it? Come on, admit it, most movies nowadays aren't really that great anyway. Not with the storyline, not with the effects, not even with the actors. At least in AC, you get to ogle those gorgeous bishies that ONLY Square can make. ^_^

And oh yeah, the most impt. thing? MONEY MATTERS. How much did Square get on this one???

Ja ne! ^_^

INFO: Cloud was not shot directly in his eye. If you watch the scene again(preferably in slow motion)you'll see that Yazoo's intent was to simply shoot the goggles off. And everyone knows that Yazoo's a marksman extraordinaire. Sorta like showing off for 'Nii-san". :tongue: And if you zoom in on Cloud's face, you'll see a trace of blood on the upper left corner of his brows and he will have a scar for the duration of the game. What I found amazing was when Sephiroth stabbed Cloud and there was no blood at all(well there was on Sephy's sword but none on Cloud ^_^)and when Cloud got shot and no blood gushed out of him. Guess we're bloodthirsty then aren't we? ^_^ Ja ne!

Please do not post more than once in a row. Use the edit/delete button found in every post if you wish to add something to your last post. Thank you. ~ Leeza

~SapphireStar~
05-18-2006, 03:49 PM

Totally agree and one of my fav bits :D

and when Cloud got shot and no blood gushed out of him
If your referring to the part where Yazoo shot him, he hit his glasses and left a mark. He wasnt actually shot, hence the reason there was no blood splatter, only a drip.

Perducci
05-18-2006, 03:58 PM
INFO: Cloud was not shot directly in his eye. If you watch the scene again(preferably in slow motion)you'll see that Yazoo's intent was to simply shoot the goggles off. And everyone knows that Yazoo's a marksman extraordinaire. Sorta like showing off for 'Nii-san". :tongue: And if you zoom in on Cloud's face, you'll see a trace of blood on the upper left corner of his brows and he will have a scar for the duration of the game. What I found amazing was when Sephiroth stabbed Cloud and there was no blood at all(well there was on Sephy's sword but none on Cloud ^_^)and when Cloud got shot and no blood gushed out of him. Guess we're bloodthirsty then aren't we? ^_^ Ja ne!

I think there wasn't much blood around for the same reason there wasn't any blood when Aeris died in FF7. Something about keeping it clean incase there were younger people watching the movie, or something.

crazybayman
05-18-2006, 04:19 PM
By that logic, Super Mario Brothers is a great movie, as is tomb raider. Classics even.

Video games have their own logic, and exist upon it. The film industry has its own logic, and exists within certain constraints. You cant expect to make a film and not use the rules of cinema while you are directing it and still have it turn out to be a quality product.

Only Metal Gear Solid has ever really been able to bridge both mediums successfully. But a good portion of it's success relies on it's own tounge in cheek style whenever the video game elements meet the cinematic elements.
Lord of the Rings is a movie that adheres to its own "rules of cinema". (Not every movie features Balrogs from the pits of Angmar (hell) spurting flames, with a old and gray man fighting it, falling through time and space........etc). Anyways, my point is, is that it had unreal elements in it, and all three LoTR movies were blockbuster.

Therefore, each movie has its own "rules". Such is the case with Final Fantasy, Advent Children. It wouldn't be final Fantasy, if it didn't have unreal jumps and action scenes. The basic laws of nature instilled in the game had to be adhered to in the movie (i.e. being able to take 1298270938472 bullets, and still having enough HP to whoop the enemy).

And the movie rocked. Not like Braveheart, or LoTR rocked, but it rocked for a movie made by a game developing company.

Leucant
05-18-2006, 05:59 PM
I honestly don't have one bad thing to say about the movie...I loved it because it was Final Fantasy. My only real problem is that I couldn't sit down with my friends or family and watch the movie because they would all be like 'WTF? This is what you've been doing in your room for 50 hours at a time??? You're so gay!' Let's face it there aren't alot of people out there that play FF...Yeah millions probably do but think of the billions that don't. That's why hollywood and critics bashed the movie...they just don't understand what all the fuss is about. For some of us, we grew up with these characters and some of us probably even instilled some of their values in ourselves (bravery, honesty, dressing up like a girl to save someone...well maybe not that one) The point is that these CG characters on the screen actually mean something to us, to everyone else its just crap.

LunarWeaver
05-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I honestly don't have one bad thing to say about the movie...I loved it because it was Final Fantasy. My only real problem is that I couldn't sit down with my friends or family and watch the movie because they would all be like 'WTF? This is what you've been doing in your room for 50 hours at a time??? You're so gay!' Let's face it there aren't alot of people out there that play FF...Yeah millions probably do but think of the billions that don't. That's why hollywood and critics bashed the movie...they just don't understand what all the fuss is about. For some of us, we grew up with these characters and some of us probably even instilled some of their values in ourselves (bravery, honesty, dressing up like a girl to save someone...well maybe not that one) The point is that these CG characters on the screen actually mean something to us, to everyone else its just crap.

You're right, I can't find any Final Fantasy fans either. There's only like, 2 of them.

I wonder why people thought Kadaj summoning a huge dragon from the sky was perfectly acceptable but Cloud jumping up and hitting it was completely unrealistic O_O

Anywho.. Yes this is a continuation of the story, anybody watching is expected to already know why the characters are they way they are... It's a sequel, not a new franchise.

I like the LotR reference, which nobody had a problem with. Frodo was the same wuss-ass at the end of all three just like at the beginning, no character development at all, Cloud had freakin more then him, so what's the problem >_>!
If you don't like it though, that's cool too, no biggie. It is what it is now... Don't watch it if it doesn't float your boat.

Ishin Ookami
05-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Lord of the Rings is a movie that adheres to its own "rules of cinema". (Not every movie features Balrogs from the pits of Angmar (hell) spurting flames, with a old and gray man fighting it, falling through time and space........etc). Anyways, my point is, is that it had unreal elements in it, and all three LoTR movies were blockbuster.

Therefore, each movie has its own "rules". Such is the case with Final Fantasy, Advent Children. It wouldn't be final Fantasy, if it didn't have unreal jumps and action scenes. The basic laws of nature instilled in the game had to be adhered to in the movie (i.e. being able to take 1298270938472 bullets, and still having enough HP to whoop the enemy).

But you forget, this is a movie, not a video game. They are two very different mediums with two very different rules of execution. In video games you expect items to pop out of nowhere when an enemy is defeated, that a character can leap unreal distances, that explosions will never touch your character so long as your careful and that a single item can rejeuvenate a character within seconds no matter how bad the damage is.

Advent Children is a movie, and one that has no rules whatsoever other then a childs made up mentality of whatever is convenient or strikes their fancy. Didn't you notice how tifa is quick enough to flip into a position to leap from a wall when she is thrown by loz, yet is inexplicably slow enough to stand there as Loz snickers and fires off his weapon into her midsection? though, to be fair, sephiroth fell prey to the same plot contrivance. He somehow blocks and parries clouds every slash, yet just floats there and lets himself be sliced six times. How does that make any sense whatsoever in a storytelling, or gaming context? Also notice how marlene is pissed at clouds selfishness then forgives him in the space of a few seconds for no reason whatsoever? And what was up with the sub-plot with the children, there had to be about a dozen ways to get cloud out to the forest without introducing a redundant and pointless sub-plot like "Kids eat up kadaj's excrement, turn momentarily into ninja zombies."

LOTR exists within it's own context, but abides by the cinematic and storytelling rules of it's context. Characters who are injured severely cannot fight. Characters who "Die" and not "fall into darkness" are dead. It sets up it's own rules, then plays by it and lets the story play out respectfully.

I like the LotR reference, which nobody had a problem with. Frodo was the same wuss-ass at the end of all three just like at the beginning, no character development at all, Cloud had freakin more then him, so what's the problem >_>!

No offence, but did you even SEE the LOTR films? Frodo goes from being a country bumpkin who dreams of having adventures like his uncle, to being turned into a puppet of a evil entity. He became every bit the ring junkie that bilbo was, and more so. So much so he identified with gollum when he saw what the ring had turned him into. He was so devastated and corrupted by the ring, that he could no longer remain in the shire and had to leave with gandalf and the elves to the undying lands. I'd call that a heckuvalot of character development.

LunarWeaver
05-18-2006, 09:01 PM
After the ring was taken away he was still a wuss-ass just like he always was. P.S. I love you Frodo, don't hold a grudge for me saying that o_O

^Marlene wasn't honestly mad at Cloud, she was guilt-tripping him to get over himself. Tifa lost against Loz in the end because he wasn't "super-speeding" before that, he was "playing" as he said. Sephy lost because he ignited a rage fueled by love (he was going to "take away" something precious to Cloud again), which is exactly why he lost in the game. He doesn't understand that Cloud wins because his motivation is beyond hate and grudges, and Sephy spends far too much taunting him for it. Kadaj was having his own personal reunion with the kiddies, because he's obsessed with doing whatever Seph did so mommy will love him, and he felt taking them over would help his attack on the planet... Plus, the kids keep the town folks away while they search for Jenova in Midgar.

Why do people say "movies are a different medium, so it's different." So you would have prefered they were normal people, like in the Spirits Within....The amount of complaining that would have spawned from Cloud being a normal guy would have been immense... Why make a movie that follows nothing the game established at all and follows a completely different set of world-laws, that would...not make sense. I think when Square lost 40 billion dollars trying that the first time, they probably decided characters should be able to do in the movie what they do in the game.

Shiny
05-18-2006, 09:49 PM
(I personally recommend the subtitled version 'coz I honestly think the dubbed one's farfetched and it sucks).

Yeah, all the voices (cept' Reno and Barret's) were better in the Japanese version. I squealed when I heard Vincent's though. :D

What I found amazing was when Sephiroth stabbed Cloud and there was no blood at all(well there was on Sephy's sword but none on Cloud ^_^)and when Cloud got shot and no blood gushed out of him. Guess we're bloodthirsty then aren't we? ^_^ Ja ne!

Haha, I forgot about that part. That scene was pretty odd...and the fact that Cloud can still pick up his oversized sword after being stabbed where he was stabbed is pretty odd.

kikimm
05-18-2006, 09:54 PM
YEAH (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=83857)