PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest: Like or loathe?

~SapphireStar~
04-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Ive got mixed feelings with this game. Yeah it looks pretty and the voice actings not bad, but I hate the boss battles. So frustrating because theres no save points near bosses and you can only save in churches in towns ... HUGE let down there IMO.

I dont understand why there are only save points in churches, its ridiculous and you cant save on the map or camp! And I hate the fact that when you die, half your gold is taken from you?! Gee thanks! Ive been playing for 2 hours and Ive been getting my characters up to level 7 in order to kill the first boss! WTF!?

Sorry, I was so exciting about playing this game and people have said its amazing and the best theyve played in years. How? How is it the best? Because so far, Ive only felt frustration with this game.

theundeadhero
04-15-2006, 08:55 PM
It's been that way since Dragon Warrior I. A little late to complain don't you think?

I have no problem with it.

~SapphireStar~
04-15-2006, 11:50 PM
A little late to complain don't you think?
Well I havent played the others.

Crossblades
04-16-2006, 12:09 AM
It's been that way since Dragon Warrior I. A little late to complain don't you think?

I have no problem with it.

Same here

Dignified Pauper
04-16-2006, 01:36 AM
love it

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-16-2006, 01:50 AM
I hate level grinding and gold farming, so I am not cool with Dragon Quest.

The Last Ancient
04-16-2006, 09:30 PM
Terrific characters, voice acting, presentation, and world that it pisses away in spectacular fashion.

Zeromus_X
04-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Terrific characters, voice acting, presentation, and world that it pisses away in spectacular fashion.

Nani? :cat:

Rengori
04-17-2006, 02:31 AM
I love it. LOVE :<3:.

DJZen
04-17-2006, 02:49 AM
I hate level grinding and gold farming, so I am not cool with Dragon Quest.RPGs in general

There's not a lot required, really. The most I've had to do so far in this game is go up 3 levels to beat an optional enemy. I'm not THAT far into the game yet, but it's definitely fun, and it has a cool story. Also, it has Jessica. Not my favorite part of the game, but a lot of people seem to be into her.

Zeromus_X
04-17-2006, 04:00 AM
Yeah, you don't have to be a leveling maniac. Maybe a few levels here and there, I don't know what everyone's complaining about. :cat:

crazybayman
04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Great game. Its only downfall is the levelling required.

And there is a lot of levelling required for this game. Compared to that of FF, anyways. Spending 2 hours straight just trying to advance a few levels, is too much, IMO.

However, when you do finally save up enough to buy that weapon or armor you've been penny pinching for, its that much more sweeter.

Still, the levelling required is far outweighed by all the good characteristics of the game, namely, the story, characters, battle system, graphics, voice acting, alchemy pot, etc.

DJZen
04-18-2006, 01:51 AM
And there is a lot of levelling required for this game. Compared to that of FF, anyways. Spending 2 hours straight just trying to advance a few levels, is too much, IMO.

2 hours? Look, here's what you do. You go to a place where the enemies give good exp, then just spam Yangus's Whistle.

-Red XIII-
04-18-2006, 01:54 AM
Sapphirestar is right. I hate the boss fight against Kalamahri, and the saving in churches? That's rediculous.

Rengori
04-18-2006, 02:01 AM
2 hours? Look, here's what you do. You go to a place where the enemies give good exp, then just spam Yangus's Whistle.
I love Yangus's whistle. :D

DJZen
04-18-2006, 02:03 AM
The church saving is a DQ tradition. It's been in there since DQII and they're obviously not going to change it now. Many RPGs have a similar system to this. I hardly see how this is a ridiculous system since you never really get set back all that much by it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-18-2006, 02:51 AM
"It's tradition" isn't a good reason to hold onto a cumbersome mechanic from the 8-bit era. But, after all, the foremost thing Dragon Quest has going for it is nostalgia. I wonder if Final Fantasy would be more popular in Japan if Square had preserved the "Ineffective" tradition.

Zeromus_X
04-18-2006, 05:59 AM
You can warp to any town and other locations you've been to before, it isn't cumbersome at all. There really isn't too much leveling up in DQVIII, contrary to what people keep complaining about. Or maybe these whippersnappers are just lazy...meh. :cat: There certainly isn't as much leveling as in the old DQ games.

And thankfully you don't find the Hero's best sword on the floor either. :cat:

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-18-2006, 06:26 AM
It's a decent game. Nostalgic and all that. Not the best RPG out there by far, but I enjoyed it and will probably go and beat it. Eventually.

crazybayman
04-18-2006, 12:06 PM
yes, but when your at that point in the game where your levelling up for the Dragovian Trials, and you're trying to fight metal slimes, metal king slimes and liquid metal slimes, 3 levels can take 2 hours.

Its ridiculous. The tediousness does take some of the enjoyment out of the game.

Or maybe these whippersnappers are just lazy...meh. :cat:
WOW U MST B LIEK A DRGN QUST 8 VETERAN WOW

:rolleyes2

"It's tradition" isn't a good reason to hold onto a cumbersome mechanic from the 8-bit era.
Yes. Being able to save on the world map (i.e. on that isolated mountain top near Rydon's Tower, for instance) would have made things much more enjoyable.

Despite the tediousness, I still really enjoyed the game. Although, I did postpone my quest at one point, due to the tediousness, and went back to FFVII, VIII and X.

~SapphireStar~
04-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Yes. Being able to save on the world map (i.e. on that isolated mountain top near Rydon's Tower, for instance) would have made things much more enjoyable.
I was expecting that cause Ive grown up on the FF series and I think the BoF series allows this also. So because I havent played a DQ game before I didnt know what to expect. But no save points before boss battles is frustrating.

theundeadhero
04-18-2006, 02:45 PM
At least if everyone dies after you spend two hours fighting your way to a boss they come back to life and you don't lose all the experience making the past two hours a waste of time, like in FF.

crazybayman
04-18-2006, 02:51 PM
At least if everyone dies after you spend two hours fighting your way to a boss they come back to life and you don't lose all the experience making the past two hours a waste of time, like in FF.
True. This is great when you fight Dhoulmagus, whoop him in his first form, and then get pwned by his second form.

Pauten
04-18-2006, 03:27 PM
I adore DQVIII, i've only played DQIII and DQ Monsters before and loved both of them as well.
I dont find it tedious at all. The bosses are great and a challenge for once.
Also while I hated the voice acting when I played the demo, I now love the voices. Square Enix did a great job with casting in my opinion. Besides just because its made (now anyway) by the same company, why does everyone compare DQVIII to Final Fantasy? There is no comparison, they are both different experiances on the whole.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-18-2006, 08:15 PM
They're the two best-selling RPG series in the world.

DJZen
04-21-2006, 09:20 AM
They're like Coke and Pepsi. Like Street Fighter and King of Fighters. Goku and Vegeta. Dragon Quest and Fi... Oh wait...

Anyway, the further I get in this game, the more I like it. It's a great RPG, I reccomend it, and I'm sure you can easily find a used copy of it at your local game store.

dirkdirden
04-22-2006, 06:13 AM
if you enjoy classic RPG's and not this new brand of RPG for kids with ADD that always have to have flashing lights and action action action then this game is for you.

I give it a 9 out of 10. The only reason I give it a 9 is becuase I would have like more special attacks and magic.

Zeromus_X
04-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Really? There are actually alot more abilities and spells in DQ than in most other DQ games, at least, it seems that way to me. :cat: (Although those multi-hitting abilities are still the most useful.)

~SapphireStar~
04-22-2006, 02:42 PM
if you enjoy classic RPG's and not this new brand of RPG for kids with ADD that always have to have flashing lights and action action action then this game is for you.
I do enjoy classic RPGs, Im just not use to not having as many save points around.

dirkdirden
04-23-2006, 05:40 AM
Really? There are actually alot more abilities and spells in DQ than in most other DQ games, at least, it seems that way to me. :cat: (Although those multi-hitting abilities are still the most useful.)

yeah there are more skills that all the other DQ's but I feel they could have add more, and I also think that they should have made more use of the alcamy pot. I used it a lot but I would have like to have been able to make more with it. and make more things that you can't buy in towns.

I have a feeling the next DQ will Blow all our minds away.

Rengori
04-23-2006, 05:42 AM
If there is another DQ.

Zeromus_X
04-23-2006, 05:58 AM
Oh, there will be. At least in Japan. :cat:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-23-2006, 07:35 AM
If there is another DQ.Comedy.

DJZen
04-24-2006, 09:00 AM
If they release Final Fantasy XII in the US.

Flying Mullet
04-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I love it. Then again I've always loved the DQ series. I'm one of the few that enjoyed DW VII it seems like. I really enjoyed the fact that playing DQ VIII feels like playing an interactive cartoon. :yellowkin

Zeromus_X
04-25-2006, 01:01 AM
Well..isn't that what most RPGs kinda are? :p But I see what you mean. :cat:

crazybayman
04-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Well..isn't that what most RPGs kinda are?
Not like DQVIII is.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
04-30-2006, 09:12 PM
I like Dragon Quest VIII but I wish that you could save the game on the world map...

valentine
05-01-2006, 03:48 AM
The entire Dragon Quest series is interesting in that it's both totally over rated, and at the same time, totally under rated

Zeromus_X
05-01-2006, 04:16 AM
The entire Dragon Quest series is interesting in that it's both totally over rated, and at the same time, totally under rated

Huh? If you mean it has a dedicated fanbase, but is also disliked by people that don't like it, then that could be said for many series. :cat:

Although it definitely isn't incredibly popular as it is in Japan.

valentine
05-01-2006, 04:30 AM

Huh? If you mean it has a dedicated fanbase, but is also disliked by people that don't like it, then that could be said for many series. :cat:

Although it definitely isn't incredibly popular as it is in Japan.

No, I mean outside of Japan, it is a very, verry under rated. Specifically in the U.S. While I know a lot of Final Fantasy fans, I don't personally know anyone who's a huge DQ fan. But, among the community of actual DQ fans, tehre are tons of really snobby people who act like Dragon Quest is the greatest thing in the entire world. If you even mention Final Fantasy they're like "you like Final Fantasy??? Final Fantasy sucks! Dragon Quest is waaaaaay better" Of course Final Fantasy has it's snobby fans as well, but that's not the point. Anyway, I'll admit I haven't played too many Dragon Quests but from what I've played they've been good, but not the pinnacle of gaming as people seem to make them out to be.

In that way, they are both under, and over rated

Zeromus_X
05-01-2006, 04:35 AM
Oh, well I guess that makes sense. Although I haven't met any DQ fans that act that way, so... Still, most DQ fans are those that played all the older Dragon Warrior games on the NES. I don't really think DQ is the pinnacle of gaming, that'd be pretty ridiculous. Though it most certainly is an important series when talking about the history of console RPGs. :cat:

As for it not being popular outside of Japan, well, it just isn't. It isn't really mainstream in the sense of Final Fantasy, it still sticks to its roots. (Which, as a good or bad thing, is up to the player.) It also hasn't been worldwide, to my knowledge. (Whereas FFVII and up were blasted upon the world, with remakes of the older games later.) Though not popular worldwide, it undoubtebly has a big fanbase, at least among the old school gamers that played the games before. And of course, its popularity within Japan is pretty self-explanatory. :P :cat:

FallenAngel411
05-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Well, I did go out and buy this game after all I heard about it. It's okay, I guess. The sparse save points didn't annoy me as much as the....lack of story. I mean, there is a story there, it's just kind of spread out like a thin layer of butter on bread....just vaguely sprinkled on top of the average gameplay to supply excuses to keep trudging around the place....I was a little addicted at first to the whole leveling up thing, but I need an engaging story with my RPG. Battle system alone doesn't cut it for me. So it will likely collect dust for a while until a day when I've beaten all my other games and have nothing else left to play.

DJZen
05-02-2006, 01:23 AM
Fallen Angel, how far in are you?

Zeromus_X
05-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Like most DQ games, the overall story is spread out between layers of delicious dungeon-crawling. (This probably turns off people from it.) Still, I think the modern DQ stories have come a long way from the older games, even if they share themes. :cat:

But yeah, if you've just started, then....:cat:

FallenAngel411
05-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Oh god, I haven't picked this game up in a while! :jess: I believe I was in some port town....it was after the jester guy attacked the church place and performed that heinous murder.....I wasn't just starting though, I had been playing for over 16 hours. (Most of it using Yangus's whistle and levelling up) It's not a bad game at all, the story just isn't sucking me in enough to sit and play, play, play, play....

But the characters are very distinct and memorable. This is one of the only RPGs to make me laugh hysterically at certain scenes.

Zeromus_X
05-02-2006, 02:04 AM
I have a feeling you'll like the story a whole lot after a certain point.

But that's good, the game is doing it's job. But you don't need to level up like a freak like some would have you believe.

On the other hand, that wacky DQII... :mad:

DJZen
05-02-2006, 04:39 AM
Yeah, the worst I've had to do is an hour and a half at Neos (which is entirely optional anyway and has Gold Golems) and only because I really really wanted to. I think I went there too early or something 'cause when I got to the next town (Baccarat) my weapons and armor were actually BETTER than what was available there.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-02-2006, 05:54 AM
There are two things that I didn't like about Dragon Quest VIII : #1 The story didn't focus on Jessica very much who was one of my favorite characters. And #2 There was a small love story in Dragon Quest VIII but I didn't like it because it was between the Main Character and Medea...And I don't like Medea I was hoping that it would be between the Main Character and Jessica.

Zeromus_X
05-02-2006, 06:18 AM
There are two things that I didn't like about Dragon Quest VIII : #1 The story didn't focus on Jessica very much who was one of my favorite characters. And #2 There was a small love story in Dragon Quest VIII but I didn't like it because it was between the Main Character and Medea...And I don't like Medea I was hoping that it would be between the Main Character and Jessica.

Jessica is technically the heir to one of the great sages, and Alistair is by blood. I'd say she's at least somewhat important. (All the main characters do have some motivation after all.)

And for 2; This is Dragon Quest. Hero always gets with the Princess. :cat: :)

theundeadhero
05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
In Dragon Quest II they were all related.

kiriu
05-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I loved the game, all the way through it. And though it was dissapointing to go into the Waterfall Cave at a low level and get the #&*@ kicked out of me, it was fun. The only points in the game where I really had to level up were before the first two boss fights, and right before Dhoulmagus.

Chimera Wings/Zoom make it easier to get to the churches, and I think it was a nice challenge to NOT have the abiltiy to save wherever you wanted. It makes the game harder, and in the end more enjoyable.

I really liked the game, the characters, the voices, the world, the artwork. Everything about it held my attention for the 89 hours it took me to beat it.

BizzerocitY
05-20-2006, 10:48 PM
lmao, after zoom you pretty much CAN save wherever you want. Just evac if in a cave, zoom to any town, find church, save. It's that easy. I don't save that much anyway, because I'm not worried about dying and losing the three levels I just gained, you know? When you die it doesn't piss you off, because it's like Pokemon. 1/2 your money down the drain (oh no?) and then you're solid.

kiriu
05-21-2006, 01:00 AM
What I always wondered is where the money goes. Do the monsters hoarde it, and buy themselves new clothes or what?

DJZen
05-22-2006, 01:28 AM
My theory is the monsters just steal your shoes. The church that revives you is kind enough to provide new shoes, but they always happen to cost exactly half of the money you have on you.

PontiusPilate
05-22-2006, 01:53 AM
I thought Dragon Quest VIII was great in all areas except one. And that one area just made the game 10x worse. Turn based battle suck. period. they take no strategy and are no fun. Why the hell would I want a game that moves and attacks for me when i can get a game where i can control where and when i attack. Turn based battles were alright, ON THE PS1. They are incredibly outdated.

crazybayman
05-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I thought Dragon Quest VIII was great in all areas except one. And that one area just made the game 10x worse. Turn based battle suck. period. they take no strategy and are no fun. Why the hell would I want a game that moves and attacks for me when i can get a game where i can control where and when i attack. Turn based battles were alright, ON THE PS1. They are incredibly outdated.
That's entirely your opinion.

I thought the battle system rocked. As do many others. Its part of what makes it part of the dragon quest series.

And I pray to god they bring turn based back to final fantasy some day.

Oh god, I haven't picked this game up in a while! :jess: I believe I was in some port town....it was after the jester guy attacked the church place and performed that heinous murder.....I wasn't just starting though, I had been playing for over 16 hours.
I found the game got better after that. The next continent is my favorite part of the game.

PontiusPilate
05-22-2006, 11:50 PM
Sorry, but square is never bringing back the turn based for more advanced gaming consoles. Even the remake of FF VII is going to have a new battle system. I'm sure the handhelds will probably have it though (like for DS or GBA) like FF III

Yuffie514
05-23-2006, 01:22 AM
I dont understand why there are only save points in churches, its ridiculous and you cant save on the map or camp! And I hate the fact that when you die, half your gold is taken from you?! Gee thanks! Ive been playing for 2 hours and Ive been getting my characters up to level 7 in order to kill the first boss! WTF!?

1) once you learn Zoom, you will be able to warp to most of the places you have previously been to.

2) you can repel weak monsters w/Holy Protection, which makes getting to a certain destination a lesser nuisance.

crazybayman
05-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Sorry, but square is never bringing back the turn based for more advanced gaming consoles. Even the remake of FF VII is going to have a new battle system. I'm sure the handhelds will probably have it though (like for DS or GBA) like FF III
holy #$%@ there's NO remake for FFVII. No announcement regarding that has been made yet. So how would you know what battle system they would use, even if they did release it? Only Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core have been announced. Jeepers, I just had to argue with a bunch of fanboys in the FFVII forum about this. :rolleyes2

And FFXIII looks to be atb....or something like that, from the trailers. So I guess we'll have to see on that one.

But anyways, back to Dragon Quest, Square did just release a game with a turn-based battle system in November, didn't they?

PontiusPilate
05-23-2006, 11:44 PM
holy #$%@ there's NO remake for FFVII. No announcement regarding that has been made yet. So how would you know what battle system they would use, even if they did release it? Only Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core have been announced. Jeepers, I just had to argue with a bunch of fanboys in the FFVII forum about this. :rolleyes2

And FFXIII looks to be atb....or something like that, from the trailers. So I guess we'll have to see on that one.

But anyways, back to Dragon Quest, Square did just release a game with a turn-based battle system in November, didn't they?

Ohhh yeah, they actually did say they were remaking FF VII and it was announced. They also announced that they were making th ebattle system more like FF XII

DJZen
05-24-2006, 01:09 AM
No they didn't.

PontiusPilate
05-24-2006, 01:10 AM
read in some magazine they did. Just repeating what i read. But i can tell u one thing, they are going to even if they haven't announced it yet. its like a given

DJZen
05-24-2006, 01:12 AM
Lies make baby jesus cry.

PontiusPilate
05-24-2006, 02:07 AM
luckily for me, i'm not religious so baby jesus doesnt have to cry, he doesn't even have to exist. (haha get it!) I did read it in a magazine though (think game informer or something of the sort i found at GameStop.) Just my name alone is a good comeback to your smartass remark.

crazybayman
05-24-2006, 03:19 PM
luckily for me, i'm not religious so baby jesus doesnt have to cry, he doesn't even have to exist. (haha get it!) I did read it in a magazine though (think game informer or something of the sort i found at GameStop.) Just my name alone is a good comeback to your smartass remark.
since when does something being written in a magazine mean its true?

It was just written to make people like you read it.

If a remake is coming, Square will announce it. Until you hear Square announce it, stop spreading this bull$#%!. When they began development of FFXII and FFXIII, they announced it. They released trailers and what not. However we've seen nothing of the sort for an FFVII remake. Except the PS3 tech demo, which is not even CLOSE to development for a game. Its just s sexy little CG they put together to show off the new console's capabilities.

I am officially sick and tired of arguing with fann00bs about the FFVII remake. Yes, I'd love to see one. But until Square announces it, certainly don't believe something written in a magazine just because some dork put it there to get people to buy the magazine and read it. God.

Nomura (or whoever it was) in an interview said he'd love to, but there are many other projects underway, such as FFXII, FFXIII, FFvsXIII, FFXIII Agito, FFVII Dirge of Cerberus, FFVII Crisis Core, not to mention all of the other non-Final Fantasy Square-Enix titles under development.

Anyways, this is way off topic. Lets get back to DQ.

PontiusPilate
05-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Don't bitch at me, i just said what i read. And im not a fanboy noob, so piss off. FF VII will be remade in my opinion, just because it would be a very profitable move on Squares part

Leeza
05-25-2006, 12:11 AM
PontiusPilate and crazybayman: I think the both of you need to take a chill pill and take a break. Do not take threads off-topic and then proceed to argue.

Rogue
06-02-2006, 05:41 AM
i hate dragon quest
lololololol i hope it dies lololololol

Rengori
06-02-2006, 06:06 AM
i hate dragon quest
Care to explain why?

goldraine
06-02-2006, 08:37 AM
I love Dragon Quest. It was my 2nd completed RPG. I even made a guide to DQVIII(albeit unfinished). I love the difficulty, I love the customization. I love everything about it. Not as much as FF and Star Ocean, but high up there.

Dreddz
06-05-2006, 06:53 PM
DQVIII is a good game, I prefer it over all the other DQ games apart from DQIII :cool:

Rogue
06-05-2006, 07:48 PM
i hate dragon quest
Care to explain why?
ill be glad to :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: I HATE ITthats why

tan
06-05-2006, 09:52 PM
If you mean Dragon Quest VIII (you don't specify to which one), yeah I loved it. I thought it was really boring until I got through the beginning, then it got really good.
Graphics- Okay, I mean, it didn't wow me or anything, but they I thought they were pretty good.
Voice Acting- I could've cared less, but I really liked the voice acting, even though it was a bit cheesy.
Plot- Though a little cliche, I thought the plot was acceptional, nothing really too cliche to make me not want to play this game.
Gameplay- I thought the battle system was done really well, and I really liked the fact that you could master a lot of abilities.
Music- The music was fine, but it got so repetitive after a while that I just started listening to my CD player while I played the game.
Overall- A really really good game that I invested over 80+ hours into, and it was worth it, I guess :D

As to the other Dragon Quests, I wouldn't know because I haven't played them.

Rengori
06-05-2006, 09:56 PM
i hate dragon quest
Care to explain why?
ill be glad to :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: I HATE ITthats why
Glad to see such a compelling argument against it.

tan
06-07-2006, 03:40 AM
i hate dragon quest
Care to explain why?
Glad to see such a compelling argument against it.

I know!

Anyways, I think the only reason one could not love this game is because they think it's too slow paced and everything is really boring or something. I did find it boring at some parts, but the boss battles and large world to explore made up for that.

ValiantKnight
06-17-2006, 02:52 AM
Personally really like the game.
Some of the newer RPGs just don't have the same feel.

Granted there are some things i'd live without in DQ8, and alot of them weren't in the original version.
Believe the original had a less flashy/simplier interface and equipment/item screen. It also ran smoother from what I hear.. but not sure. Why do we have to make everything flashy in the states?

1. the slightly bloated status screens and inventory screens.. They take a decent while to load and all that prettyness don't help me much. I understand it was a lot more "black and white" in the original Japanese version.

2. The happy go lucky attitude occasionally gets annoying and is slightly corny, but at other times it is a nice addition. There are some parts that I would personally edit out... but for the most part its good.

3. Loading. May just by my playstation2, but this game has a little lag going from screen to screen.. town to field, etc... /yearn for Nintendo and cartridges with 10x the speed of a CD/DVD.

4. Erm dont really have a 4.... oh.. drop rate of items ... double it :)

5. Saving. saving only at towns is fine, should be that way. Reading the Eula of a microsoft application before being able to save shouldnt be that way... less text... Save? Yes/no.

Yet even with these things I don't like.. I enjoy it, moreso than a lot of my FF collection... except FF1 :) Granted I still need to play 2, 4, and 5..... and finish X.

Basically it seems its got a few spots where it feels too "new age" and needs to be simpler... the flashy inventory screens and loading times. A few unneeded corny cutscenes... and anything else that slows it down. I wouldnt mind leveing and looking for rare drops a bit more if had a little smoother/faster battle system.. less like FFX, more like FF1.

151hrs, 98Hero/99Yangus/90Jessica/97Angelo
70hrs, 48Hero/49Yangus/47Jessica/48Angelo(mostly played by cousin.)

When I get done with leveling to 99 and 500 skills each person I guess it'll be time to head back to redo FF6(lost a save) or finish FFX(got bored)

DJZen
06-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Why do we have to make everything flashy in the states?

Because Square-Enix knows that trying to sell an RPG that's not Final Fantasy is financial suicide, and that people in the states whine when there isn't 50 hours of emo FMVs detailing the complicated and religious storyline in broken English. It's what I refer to as "It doesn't have Cloud in it" syndrome.

5. Saving. saving only at towns is fine, should be that way. Reading the Eula of a microsoft application before being able to save shouldnt be that way...

ROFLMAO!

~SapphireStar~
07-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Im currently level 21 and 18 hours in at the moment. I take back complaining about this game cause it has stopped me commiting suicide from boredom the last few days. And thank God I got the walkthrough, I wouldnt have been able to find half the items in the game without it! Plus Im sure I would be getting lost on alot of occasions.

The whole Evac and Zoom is amazing and such a joy to have, I was so happy when I learnt those 2 spells, makes traveling that much easier. Im close to getting the ship now also, which is ace. And my boyfriend and his friend have started their own file cause their saved FF8 data is damaged (so close to getting Ragnork as well! No justcie!) and they were bored.

LunarWeaver
07-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I personally like it, though I've only played some of VI and VIII and that's it. I think I made a whole thread pissing and moaning about VIII a while ago, I dunno I can't remember anything anymore, but I do actually love the game. If only they showed a turn order I can see, life would be much easier to me. Then again, not knowing sure does make some boss battles interesting. The Hero also kind of has a personality in VIII in my opinion, so keeping him silent just seems kind of 7 games outdated to me at this point, but it's not a deal breaker so whatever. Whistle for me Yangus! WHISTLE!

Crossblades
07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Although I've played DQ I, II, and III, I found them very enjoyable. I'm tempted to play DQ VIII, but I still have to finish other games I'm playing at the moment

i hate dragon quest

It's never gonna die as long fans of the series continue to buy it

ValiantKnight
07-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Dragon Quest has shipped some 33million units in Japan, and 1.4 million in the US. Final Fantasy Shipped some 28 million units in Japan and 14.8million in the US by comparison.

Serieswise that is :)
DQ won't be dying anytime soon.

DQ8 3.6 million in japan and 0.47 million in the US.
FFX 3.02 million in japan and 2.72 million in the US

vgcharts.org

Zeromus_X
07-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Yeah, it definitely won't die out in Japan for awhile. (If at all.) In the states it was never as popular...but than again, it'd be hard for it to be a household name like in Japan. xD

Is it doing well in Europe? Or has it been released yet?

ValiantKnight
07-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Other(Europe/Australia/anywhere else I guess) has 0.6million copies.
America has 0.47million copies.
Japan has 3.61million copies.

Only Dragon Quest VII(4.12million), the pokemon GB games, Super Mario Bros(6.81million), Super Mario Land(4.19million), and Tetris(4.24Million) have shipped more than 4million units to Japan(sold to retailers).

Basically Dragon Quest VII is the only non-handheld game to ship more than 4million copies, besides Super Mario Bros... in Japan.
And Dragon Quest VIII and III are right behind it above 3.5million
As well as FF VII and VIII.

bipper
07-04-2006, 09:44 PM

Bingo. That aside, if you get ded, you loose half gold, and get to try again - keeping all exp. So that is not bad. Adds a challenge. The game was rather bland to me - fun for a bit, but bland overall.

Because Square-Enix knows that trying to sell an RPG that's not Final Fantasy is financial suicide, and that people in the states whine when there isn't 50 hours of emo FMVs detailing the complicated and religious storyline in broken English. It's what I refer to as "It doesn't have Cloud in it" syndrome.
I lol'ed

Bipper

~SapphireStar~
07-09-2006, 02:45 PM
Is it doing well in Europe? Or has it been released yet?
Yeah it has, I have it. And my boyfriend hasnt seen any second hand ones come in yet and its been out for a good few months here. So its doing well considering none of the DQ series was released here.

Morridor
07-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime is coming out on September 19th in the U.S. I really can't wait for that installment in the handheld series. It's for the Nintendo DS and it's going to have Tank battles. It's going to be really fun. If you pre-order it, you also get a free Slime Keychain!

Danny

The Knights of the Round
08-15-2006, 08:38 PM
instead of complaining about the saving and the loss of money, you should see it as a different type of gameplay. also it just makes it more challenging and since it is different it may be a little more likeable then if it was just like other FF games or ect...

tidus_rox
08-17-2006, 01:27 AM
"It's tradition" isn't a good reason to hold onto a cumbersome mechanic from the 8-bit era. But, after all, the foremost thing Dragon Quest has going for it is nostalgia. I wonder if Final Fantasy would be more popular in Japan if Square had preserved the "Ineffective" tradition.
Final Fantasy isnt popualr in Japan?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2006, 01:43 AM
It's not nearly as popular as Dragon Quest. But nothing is, really.

Vivisteiner
08-22-2006, 10:48 PM
^^There is a federal law forcing DQ games to be released on weekends in Japan to prevent children bunking school etc. Final fantasy is still popular though.

I finished the game today + loved it. 9.5/10. I could get a little repetetive at times.

Goldenboko
08-22-2006, 10:51 PM

I'm a bit late responding to this quote but... I've seen the final boss be beaten at level 28... so they're are other ways to win then level grind (although that helps!)

DJZen
08-23-2006, 01:57 AM
Don't bother trying to explain it to him. Once Kishi makes up his mind on a matter there's no changing it. Though it's true, DQVIII requires very little levelling up. FFIV requires MUCH more.

Zeromus_X
08-23-2006, 02:01 AM
Yeah, there's not 'level grinding' or 'Gil farming' in DQVIII. If you have a brain, you can play the DQ games. Instead of mindlessly leveling up, think up a strategy.

Kain Strife
08-26-2006, 04:41 AM
I love Dragon Quest VIII. Being in the UK, this was the first DQ title ever released here (so it's basically just called Dragon Quest). Definately the suprise hit of the year for me, maybe even of this decade.

9.5/10