PDA

View Full Version : How Similiar is X-2 to X?

Carmilla
04-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey everyone.

I just beat Final Fantasy X for the first time and i enjoyed it immensely but i found the side quests to be way too hard and almost impossible to complete.

I gave up after hours on the butterfly, chocobo racing, and lightning dodging. :(
Not to mention trying to get 10 tonberrys.....

Anyways, how close is X-2 to X?
Are the side quests for the good items as tough and troublesome?
Is the sphere system the same?

I like the fact that theres only 3 characters instead of swapping useless characters, imo, like Kimhari and Rikku just so they can gain some AP...

Also, is there summoning in X-2 like in X?
The summons were by far my favorite part of part ten.
The fact that you could control them is beyond awesome. :choc2:

Ultima Shadow
04-15-2006, 11:07 PM
3 words: not at all.

It's pretty much a completely different game.

Mirage
04-15-2006, 11:30 PM
All your summons died in FFX, they won't be revived in X-2.
The sphere grid is replaced with a job system.

DeathKnight
04-15-2006, 11:38 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, RPGs are all 'bout the story, of course the fighting matters but it shouldn't rule what's special 'bout rpgs, and that's the strong storyline.

I love FFX-2 to death and if you though FFX's ending was too harsh on Yuna and you wanted it all to be resolved then get FFX-2 if you were satisfied with FFX's ending then don't. I personally love it. Here's a review from IGN which is better than anything these amateurs would tell you.

:tonberry:http://ps2.ign.com/articles/458/458474p1.html:tonberry:

Markus. D
04-15-2006, 11:49 PM
the only relation is the scenery, graphics engine, skill animations, and characters transfered over :)

Mirage
04-16-2006, 12:03 AM
I disapprove of being called an amateur by a person who has never ever conversed with me.
Gameplay, battling being included in that, is a very important aspect of RPGs for me. That aspect also happens to be the best part of FFx-2. No one in one's right mind would claim that FFX-2 had a deep story. Need I remind you that even if a "big gaming site" says something is good, that's still just the subjective opinion of the reviewer. Reviewers are humans, not machines. No human is completely objective.

Tavrobel
04-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Hey everyone.

I just beat Final Fantasy X for the first time and i enjoyed it immensely but i found the side quests to be way too hard and almost impossible to complete.

I gave up after hours on the butterfly, chocobo racing, and lightning dodging. :(
Not to mention trying to get 10 tonberrys.....

Anyways, how close is X-2 to X?
Are the side quests for the good items as tough and troublesome?
Is the sphere system the same?

I like the fact that theres only 3 characters instead of swapping useless characters, imo, like Kimhari and Rikku just so they can gain some AP...

Also, is there summoning in X-2 like in X?
The summons were by far my favorite part of part ten.
The fact that you could control them is beyond awesome. :choc2:

Hai2u
Sidequests require time and patience in FFX. Not so much in FFX-2, just luck, and some preparation. No more annoying monster catching.

No sphere grid, is replaced by a job system that lets you change in the middle of battle. Although both have to do with spheres.

Only three characters, no switching in or out, unless you get International, in which case, you can get most of the cast from FFX as playable (optional sidequest).

No summoning. No aeons. Well, for most of the game, there's no aeons, per se.

It's very different gameplay wise, especially the battle system is quick and not so thinking, which is ok, because once the get the Alchemist, the game has an ADQ == Alchemist Difficulty Quotient.
Take 100 and divide x*100 per Alchemist dressphere in inventory.

The storyline picks up where Eternal Calm picks up. While it picks up there, it is radically different. The atmosphere looks exactly the same, except in certain areas. If FFX == world under the oppression of religion (Japan in the past, except exchange religion with emperors), FFX-2 == modern Japan. The storyline in FFX-2 essentially leads nowhere, and the special ending isn't... well let's just say it leaves something be desired. However, the ending in FFX is not at all upbeat, unlike FFX-2.

Most battle animations and character animations are the same, except for a few. And unlike FFX, FFX-2 only has 11 major FMVs, all for purchase. FFX had 51, final movie cannot be purchased.

Of course, this is all opinion. One can only TELL you what is different and similar, and only you can decide whether or not it's the same. If you played the old FFs, as in before FFVII, you'll be rather alienated. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Venom
04-16-2006, 12:18 AM
X-2 is like X minus the fun.:)

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 12:21 AM
I disapprove of being called an amateur by a person who has never ever conversed with me.
Gameplay, battling being included in that, is a very important aspect of RPGs for me. That aspect also happens to be the best part of FFx-2. No one in one's right mind would claim that FFX-2 had a deep story. Need I remind you that even if a "big gaming site" says something is good, that's still just the subjective opinion of the reviewer. Reviewers are humans, not machines. No human is completely objective.

But UNLIKE you and me those reviewers have been reviewing for decades now and know what's good and what's not for the most part;) That's part of the reason they get SO MANY people to sing up with them and visit their site. You ask anybody and they'd tell you that IGN is one of the best when it comes to reviewing.

And if you don't want to be labeled as an amateur then fine, but it still kinda applies to you and ALL of us since we're not LICENSED REVIEWERS:tonberry:

Mirage
04-16-2006, 12:27 AM
I can bet you my left big toe none of the IGN reviewers went to game-reviewing-school.

Tavrobel
04-16-2006, 12:28 AM
I can bet you my left big toe none of the IGN reviewers went to game-reviewing-school.

There's a such thing?

Mirage
04-16-2006, 12:30 AM
No, that's my point. Anyone can become a game-reviewer at an online game site without any sort of qualifications. All you need is some examples of good reviews you've done in the past. There is no such thing as a "licensed reviewer". But sure, over time, the sites who has the most accurate reviewers naturally gain more respect points among gamers.

Zeromus_X
04-16-2006, 12:36 AM
But UNLIKE you and me those reviewers have been reviewing for decades now and know what's good and what's not for the most part That's part of the reason they get SO MANY people to sing up with them and visit their site. You ask anybody and they'd tell you that IGN is one of the best when it comes to reviewing.

And if you don't want to be labeled as an amateur then fine, but it still kinda applies to you and ALL of us since we're not LICENSED REVIEWERS

Lmao. :cat:

Anyway, it'd just be best if you played it and see what you think. But do know that it's story will not be like X's. It pales in comparison to X's story, and you can pretty much tell the whole game was made in a relatively short period of time (as far as game development goes.) It was just made to milk X's popularity in the first place, so not really a surprise. Well, they gotta make money somehow, huh? ;)

Now, where story shatters into a thousand pieces, gameplay is actually quite nice. It's ATB, unlike X's CTB, and there's a Job System of sorts. (Dress-Spheres.) And like Tavrobel said, you can switch jobs in battle. Actually, his whole post pretty much gives a good summary...:cat:

All I can think of for now. :cat:

Tavrobel
04-16-2006, 12:40 AM
No, that's my point. Anyone can become a game-reviewer at an online game site without any sort of qualifications. All you need is some examples of good reviews you've done in the past. There is no such thing as a "licensed reviewer". But sure, over time, the sites who has the most accurate reviewers naturally gain more respect points among gamers.

What kind of a person doesn't know that professional review skool is teh 1337ne55?
I was being sarcastic, and agreeing with you, but it's hard to show off on the internet. Inflection and all that stuff.

Mirage
04-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Yes, indeed.

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 12:52 AM
keep holding to your little beliefs

Eiko Guy
04-16-2006, 12:57 AM
1337ne55

what does that mean

Mirage
04-16-2006, 12:58 AM
Which level of elite a subject has reached.

Venom
04-16-2006, 02:14 AM
keep holding to your little beliefs

Sure enough, we will.

Mirage
04-16-2006, 03:50 AM
I haven't stated any beliefs. I have stated four facts and one opinion.

Ballistix Man
04-16-2006, 05:20 AM
Hold on the people at IGN are proffesionals? Thtas ludicris

farplaner
04-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Not to mention trying to get 10 tonberrys..... :choc2:

I'm the kind of guy who likes to do as much with the game as possible, and although the sigils you get from beating the side quests you mention aren't necessary to beat the game, if you are anything like me beating them will give you a "warm feeling inside."

The butterfly quest can be a big pain. If you run into any more than one red butterfly it is impossible to complete the catching in time. The only thing I can really suggest is to learn the pattern (which is always the same) and run as direct a line as you can between one blue butterfly to the next; cut as many corners as you can; treat it like a indy car race. This will give you a few extra fractions of a second :p .

Same with chocobo racing. Learn the patterns of balloons (there are only a few). There is one pattern that allows you to get something like six or seven balloons before you turn the first corner. You need to get (I'm prettty sure this is right) about fifteen balloons and be hit by no more than two birds. Try hitting the balloons from odd angles; this might give you a better chance at dodging those birds.

Finally, for the lightening dodge quest: there is a spot directly south of the first lightening tower with the save sphere (right outside the Guadosalam exit) where the lightening strikes in a regular pattern of twos Stand a couple of steps south of the tower. This is the pattern: a strike-- wait about 2 seconds, another strike-- wait about four seconds, repeat. This will allow you to get into a rhythm.

Soon enough you will have completed your sigil collection.

As far as tonberries go.....good luck! Although there are a "few" more encounters in the last right turn of the cavern where you go down a corridor, and it opens to a larger space with a chest. I hate those forking URNS!!

Markus. D
04-16-2006, 11:28 AM
I like to exploit the URN things for prizes.

Darth Cid
04-16-2006, 01:44 PM
X-2 is like X minus the fun.:)

Ballistix Man
04-16-2006, 02:18 PM
But UNLIKE you and me those reviewers have been reviewing for decades now and know what's good and what's not for the most part That's part of the reason they get SO MANY people to sing up with them and visit their site. You ask anybody and they'd tell you that IGN is one of the best when it comes to reviewing.

And if you don't want to be labeled as an amateur then fine, but it still kinda applies to you and ALL of us since we're not LICENSED REVIEWERS
Nobody knows what we like better than ourselves. And to continuosly bring up scores from one sight and act is if its the know all see all definitive answer is precosious.

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Nobody knows what we like better than ourselves. And to continuosly bring up scores from one sight and act is if its the know all see all definitive answer is precosious.

You can take it as you will, but I'd rather read FULL reviews than some biased sentences from people like you.

Ballistix Man
04-16-2006, 03:35 PM
From people like me. You mean someone who played the game expecting a decent plot and good charachters and was extremely dissapointed how the game ruined FFX. Yeah thats biased. GTFO

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 04:07 PM
There you go with your biased opinions. Look, the game wasn't made for YOU ok? People with no sense of what gaming's all about make me sick.

Ballistix Man
04-16-2006, 04:16 PM
You make me sick with ypour insescant babbling. Calling people biased when your own opinion itself is biased. Aslo the fuck are you talking about.
Look, the game wasn't made for YOU ok?Actually it is. Its made folr me and everyone else. I also have a feeling you dont know what gaming about. You make me sick.

DeathKnight
04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
damn right it was made for everyone else.

Also, you'd do great not copying my words.

Ballistix Man
04-16-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm finished here. I got my point across. And I'm done with arguing with you over this.

Carmilla
04-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the posts, especially Tavrobel, as that was informative.

Im like an hour into X-2 and boy are battles FAST.
I guess im too used to taking my time and thinking in X. :eek:

But so far its cool.
I like Yuna and Rikku. Paine isnt Lulu but she seems cool enough.

I hated Wakka and Kimahri so good riddance.

And i loved Tidus and Auron but theyre both 'dead' so it makes sense story wise.

Though i hate the fact that i have to relearn the entire Al Bhed language. Grr! :choc2:

Yliette
04-28-2006, 07:10 AM
It's surprisingly different except for Spira's geography. Kilika and some other areas have undergone drastic changes.

About the Al Bhed language, what's the use of reiterating the whole thing in X-2? Hadn't they preserved the previous collection in X? Besides that, 5 of the 6 members of Gullwings (Brother, Buddy, Shinra, Rikku and Paine) can speak and understand Al Bhed even without the magazines.

Jessweeee♪
04-28-2006, 10:37 PM
It is way different. waaaay different.
Well, the entire game is made up of sidequests, you do it all in missions (and you need 100% to get the full totally perfect ending. yes...so many endings...).

The story was pretty lame, though it was fun to play. And though the story sucked it, WAS happy-ish.

DeathKnight
04-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Not different at all, Most of the old characters are here, the story continues from where FFX ended. Yuna's quest is loud and clear and she follows what she feels in this game. She grows up and learns new things, and lastly she is there for Spira once more. Very emotional and fun story, many quests and things to do.

This game works you up, sometimes overwhelming but in the end you can't help but feel emotional 'bout it. Yuna does SO much just to see "him" again and that's respectable whether you like Tidus or not. It is very cool and I liked it.
:hourglas:

ScottNUMBERS
05-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Not different at all, Most of the old characters are here, the story continues from where FFX ended. Yuna's quest is loud and clear and she follows what she feels in this game. She grows up and learns new things, and lastly she is there for Spira once more. Very emotional and fun story, many quests and things to do.

This game works you up, sometimes overwhelming but in the end you can't help but feel emotional 'bout it. Yuna does SO much just to see "him" again and that's respectable whether you like Tidus or not. It is very cool and I liked it.
:hourglas:
My hypocritical sense is tingling.

Old Manus
05-01-2006, 01:51 PM
And you know what it means when his hypocrytical sense is tingling.

Shaun_lawless
05-02-2006, 03:03 AM
well ffx and ffx-2 are similiar to each other cause ffx-2 is the sequal DUH!! :p

eestlinc
05-02-2006, 07:05 AM
DeathKnight, stop insulting people. Everyone else has just as much right to their own opinion as you do to yours.

Shaun_lawless
05-02-2006, 03:53 PM
she right you know

BG-57
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
About the Al Bhed language, what's the use of reiterating the whole thing in X-2? Hadn't they preserved the previous collection in X? Besides that, 5 of the 6 members of Gullwings (Brother, Buddy, Shinra, Rikku and Paine) can speak and understand Al Bhed even without the magazines.

You could argue it was Tidus learning Al Bhed in FFX and it's Yuna learning it in FFX-2. But it does seem kind of silly. I'm surprised she didn't pick up at least a little from her mother, not to mention her uncle and cousin. But I guess it wouldn't have gone over well in Bevelle or Besaid.

morning_star
05-02-2006, 05:29 PM
i like the differences between them both. except one. i dont like the dresspheres. i like the idea of it but the way they did it, annoiyed me.

Dark Paladin
05-02-2006, 06:52 PM
FFX seems like a sad game compared to X-2.

X-2's much happier.

Jessweeee♪
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I did miss having so many characters, and it was totally pointless to have her learn Al Bhed.

DeathKnight
05-03-2006, 03:43 AM
I did miss having so many characters, and it was totally pointless to have her learn Al Bhed.

pointless??? If you actually played the game you'd see that there are ALOT of Al Bhed people to talk to and who also give you special items, tasks, or clues;)

FFX-2 is NOT a stand alone game. Like I said before, FFX/X-2 go together and if it turned out that all of Yuna's guardian found a life and something to do then it's ok, YRP worked out great and brought freshness into the series. I mean, what would be the point of having 6 characters trying to find Tidus:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

This game worked out great because it had a clear path, and Yuna stuck with it.

LunarWeaver
05-03-2006, 04:14 AM
I thought X-2 was rather enjoyable...Stacked up against many other RPGs out in the world it is still better then a lot. Pretty good for being made in 3 seconds :mog:

PontiusPilate
05-04-2006, 01:01 AM
I think X-2 and X have the fact that they both had terrible character designs in common

Leeza
05-04-2006, 04:49 PM
DeathKnight: I believe you have been asked before to repect the opinions of other people. Yours is not the only one.

EDIT: Everyone: Stay on topic.

Yliette
05-27-2006, 03:43 AM
But then again, hadn't they preserved the original copy of the Al Bhed magazines from FFX in order for YRP (or just Yuna alone since she's the only one who does not fully understand Al Bhed) to utilize in X-2?

i like the differences between them both. except one. i dont like the dresspheres. i like the idea of it but the way they did it, annoiyed me.
And I might agree with you in this one. This Dressphere system is one of the heaviest arguments that labeled FFX-2 as Final Fantasy for girls. It's like playing dress up with a bunch of Barbie dolls!

PontiusPilate
06-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Both games had probably the three most unlikeable characters in a game (Paine, Rikku, Yuna) except in x-2 they made them whores in skimpy clothing for all the little horny gamers out their