PDA

View Full Version : Performing on stage

Rye
04-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Do you get terrified to sing/perform/act in front on stage in front of a big audience? Can you do it at all? Or are you pretty comfortable with it?

I've sang a few times to an audience, solos for Chorus. I get nervous more before I perform than I am WHILE I'm doing it. I've just been invited to sing a full song at a recital in June. I was so nervous the last time I sang a solo for Chorus a few weeks ago because my bitch chorus teacher gave me the crap solo I didn't want at the last minute as a last resort, then tried to make me give it up because she hates me (I know she does. She's so mean to me and sabotages any attempt of me singing frequently) by telling me that I shouldn't singing because "I'd embarass myself." I'm kinda nervous, since I've never sang a full song to an audience before, but it's pretty exciting. Besides a senior in some high school, I'm the only older performer singing at the recital. It's pretty neat. :)

DarkLadyNyara
04-17-2006, 09:46 PM
My performance nerves tend to hit hardest after. I love performing though. I did academic Decathalon 3 years (which includes a prepared speech, an impromptu speech, and an interveiw), so I'm better at dealing with it. I also had to choreograph and perform a one minute dance for a final. Still can't beleive I survived that. And I've done choir, and band, which isn't that stessful, cause all the attention's not on you.

TheAbominatrix
04-17-2006, 09:46 PM
When I did plays and such in high school, it was very nervewracking beforehand, sitting and waiting for my cue. Usually there was a group of us screwing around back there so it was okay. Once on stage, things just flowed.

The only other times I'm on stage is when I go to punk shows and jump up there and get crazy, and I love it.

Crop
04-17-2006, 09:51 PM
I used to perform in a group called spotlight and it was pretty good, we did the play Bugsy Malone once and we had the pie guns and everything, it was awsome. Anyway I never got nervous once but now I dont do it anymore so I dont know if I wouldnt get nervous.

Faris
04-17-2006, 09:53 PM
No matter how many times I'm told I'm great at what I'll do on stage, I always get nervous. I always start shaky then wow everyone at the end. (It's worse when you're last to preform because you're nervous longer. First for obvious reasons though :p). Even if you're about to piss your pants from nerves, it's always nice to see people's face expressions when they go "Whoa :o"
Acting is always fun too.

Strider
04-17-2006, 09:56 PM
I haven't been onstage doing anything since high school, but I always got nervous no matter what. I always listened to Van Halen to calm myself down, and it worked like a charm.

Yuna-Lenne
04-17-2006, 10:35 PM
I hate performing, even to one person! Noooo! Drama infront of most of the school in 3 weeks! I'm going to be terrified! :( I wanted to quit drama over a year ago and switch to music for that reason. :tongue: The darn teacher wouldn't let me! >_>

Raistlin
04-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I'll get nervous on stage, but moreso right before I start than once I get into it. The last time I was on stage was for my senior play in high school. I didn't get nervous before or after I started - it was just that few minutes right before going on stage when I got really nervous. I just went over my lines in my head and tried to get in character, and that helped.

Dreddz
04-17-2006, 11:08 PM
I haven't been onstage doing anything since anything

Dignified Pauper
04-17-2006, 11:10 PM
I was known in highschool for my ability to sing and act. I haven't done it in college. However, I miss it tons and am determined to be in a show next academic year.

mooglebunni608
04-17-2006, 11:11 PM
I only get nervous when I'm doing something I want to do (funny skits and stuff) so I rarely do them

I don't get nervous during violin recitals and crap tho, because I hate that stuff and don't care if I do well or not.

Twisted Tinkerbell
04-17-2006, 11:22 PM
I only get nervous when I sing in front of people

Kirobaito
04-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Nope. There many things that I get nervous about, but performing isn't one of them.

Reine
04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Ive only "performed" once really, when I was like 5 or 6...it wasa huge perfomace with all my clasmates, so I wasnt really nervous

Other than that, ive only been on a stage getting certificates for my good work and crap, and I was only nervous because certain people from my class kept staring at me... :shifty:

oh yeah, class speechs....I was always terrified of them, and always refused to do it...although the one time I did, I failed miserably..I also had to recite poetry to the class in this contest thing, and I managed to get a perfect score, apparently the way I recited it was so....poetic? :D

loza
04-18-2006, 12:45 AM
just before i go onstage 2 do a performance i get so freaked out:eep: but when i'm up there if i think about the people in tha audince i screw it up but if i just do it it's no problem does that hapen to u Rye? :p

kikimm
04-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I'm less nervous when I'm actually up there as opposed to before or after I'm on stage. There's no time to think about being nervous or things like that when you're performing. But I haven't acted in a few years now! And I'll always get nervous when I give speehces. I hate speeches, especially ones you have to give in class, because no one really gives a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif.

lovehurts
04-18-2006, 12:58 AM
I havent acted in years, but I dont get nervous so much as I get passsionate and energrtic. I shake but its with want to be good and I strive on with passion to do the best that I can for a part...

Well I used to...I havent acted in a while.

fire_of_avalon
04-18-2006, 12:59 AM
I actually haven't been on stage in a long, long time. I might do some fun stuff this Saturday, but that all depends if I want to rehearse for twelve hours before hand. (Twenty four hour plays: written, produced, and acted in a single day) and then go on when I haven't acted properly since high school. Oh boy.

Luther X-Rated
04-18-2006, 02:39 AM
I remember I had to do a Jazz solo on my trumpet at a concert : I

I was really nervous, but I pulled through and did okay : )

marc
04-18-2006, 04:10 AM
I play bass.

nuthin to worry about.

Yuffie514
04-18-2006, 06:50 AM
yeah, i'm as shy as a cat on stage. i had choir and orchestra during middle school, so i had to perform on stage many times. luckily, i'm with the group and sometimes i get to hide in the middle...

VorpalCyberWolf
04-18-2006, 07:57 AM
I was a Choir/Drama/Guitar Kid in High School. I had a part in a couple plays and a role in a musical, as well as understudy for the lead. Sang with the Choir, Show Choir, Madrigal Troupe and an A Capella choir in town. I used to get terrified, but once I got dragged into choir for an audition, there wasn't anything left to lose anymore. ~ ^

I actually ended up getting really into it and Music is my minor now.

My University Chorus is actually going to have a show next week, we are doing The Gospel Mass by Robert Ray with Robert Ray as our guest conductor ^^.

NGU
04-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Nah I get nervous on stage but I live through it. I was in a band last year and was one of the lead singers I lived through it and I was only 13. this year I got a new band but we haven't started yet. The bands are and were for a comp at my high school (I'm an Aussie so we don't got that Middle school crap) we have to have at least one teacher in the band. (so you just pick the ones who are good at music) We came second last year and have 3 of the 5 winners from last year in the band.

Parker
04-18-2006, 09:32 AM
I get horribly nervous just in front of a class, shaking and everything. God knows what I'd be like in front of a hall of people.

Casey
04-18-2006, 09:56 AM
Im comfortable but you know you get so nervous! I remember in elementary my teacher used to say "Picture everyone naked! And in their underwear!" I did that and I was like ewwww and a feeling of disgust on my face. :laugh:

Meat Puppet
04-18-2006, 10:08 AM
If I get all my lines down I'm fine on stage in front of people. There have been times when I've been too lazy to learn the lines and try to get them all down minutes before showtime; that's when I get nervous. :spin:

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I used to do plays and stuff. I never got nervous before going on. I dunno. I can just clam them very well.

NGU
04-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Yeah I do get nervous but you get over it and its not so bad in front of hundreds of people just think of the song play or blank

Dark Paladin
04-18-2006, 11:45 AM
I've never performed in front of even one person, let alone a whole crowd. I know that if i even attempted to i'd mess up, have panic attack and look overall like a complete ass.

Shaun
04-18-2006, 12:43 PM
It depends what you mean. If it's just performing, no, I don't do that crap. If the topic of this could include speaking to a large group of people, well, no, I don't usually do that either. Even if I know I'm right, the majority of people don't, so I'd usually be outnumbered in a debate or something.

But no, I don't perform in any way and I don't intend to.

Rye
04-18-2006, 12:50 PM
just before i go onstage 2 do a performance i get so freaked out:eep: but when i'm up there if i think about the people in tha audince i screw it up but if i just do it it's no problem does that hapen to u Rye? :p

Yeah. The thing is, with me, as soon as I AM doing it, it's no problem. Especially if it's on stage with a giant audience with lots of lights because I can't even see them. It's just a giant blob that I'm performing to, which makes things easier. :)

smittenkitten
04-18-2006, 12:56 PM
I think its terrifying when you get on the stage yourself. I feel better if there is a light shining, so I can't see the audience, But if it's karoake and its with a bunch a friends be warned. You won't get the microphone back ;)

Cz
04-18-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't recall being especially nervous when I've performed on stage in the past, but that's because I've only been acting, and that sort of thing comes quite easily to me. If I were singing in front of an audience, I'm sure I'd be petrified, because I have no confidence in my singing voice at all.