PDA

View Full Version : Why did he start hating video games, all of a sudden?

Peter_20
04-18-2006, 07:52 PM
Alright, I've got a little brother, and he was always as interested in games as I am.
We used to play Perfect Dark and Super Smash Bros at night, and he was always eager for the next evening.
However, about two years ago, when he turned 15, he started sounding more and more like a typical parent: he started whining about games being "bad", and he sounded incredibly proud every time he stated that he "hadn't touched a video game for months", bla-bla-bla.
Now he's driving me insane, as well: he keeps on criticizing me every time I play a game ("video games... ha... ridiculous..."), and he's decided NOT to have any positive opinions about a video game at all.
A while ago I asked him, politely, how he liked the world map music from Final Fantasy 4 (the Celtic version!): "hey, bro, this is from FF4, how do you like it? :)", and he mumbled some stuff like "well, it's nothing you listen to in daily life, and that's not really any serious music, because it's from a video game; but I guess it's alright, or something".

What the hell has gotten to him?
I mean, not very long ago he practically worshipped games, and now he's ashamed of them? :confused:
Is it some desperate attempt to seem like a grown-up, or what?

Meat Puppet
04-18-2006, 07:57 PM
People change.

Craig
04-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I bet he's possessed by Jack Thompson.

Dreddz
04-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Kill Him.

Erdrick Holmes
04-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Kill Him.

ljkkjlcm9
04-18-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't know, I went through a point where games weren't as much fun for me either

THE jackel

edczxcvbnm
04-18-2006, 08:48 PM
He has a retarded view that games are for kids and not for adults. Tell him to go out and fuck a slut get a VD :D

KentaRawr!
04-18-2006, 08:57 PM
He has been posessed by Jack Thompson! REPENT! REPENT!

Jokes aside, I think it's just the people he has been around lately. As people see new people, they become the people they see.

Peter_20
04-18-2006, 09:17 PM
He has been posessed by Jack Thompson! REPENT! REPENT!

Jokes aside, I think it's just the people he has been around lately. As people see new people, they become the people they see.Well, I think it's pretty queer to start despising games, seeing as he loved them before.

I think his friends have convinced him that "video games are for immature kids", and he's kinda been brainwashed. :rolleyes2

edczxcvbnm
04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
I think his friends have convinced him that "video games are for immature kids", and he's kinda been brainwashed. :rolleyes2

Then he does not have a strong sense of self and is desperate to 'fit in'.

Tavrobel
04-18-2006, 09:29 PM
That's wierd. Most of my friends are real mature or complete sports-aholics, and many of them HATE video games. But whenever I bring it up, they don't really bother me about it. A good crack about something you like is always good for a laugh.

It's either that he's been brainwashed by people less mature than him, or it's that ALL of his friends like video games more than him, and he is trying to get out of a situation he thought he might have been good in. Inferiority complex, perhaps?

Or, he's is a typical teenager, and he's trying to find ways to NOT conform to what people think of him, or simply to do things for the sake of being different.

leon123
04-18-2006, 10:04 PM
WHAT!!! THATS F****N' CRAZY HOW COULD HE!!! BURN HIM AT STEAK!!!WTF!!!

Elite Lord Sigma
04-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Well, I think it's pretty queer to start despising games, seeing as he loved them before.

Not only could that statement be further from the truth, he also seems to either want to fit what his friends tell him, or he has low self-esteem.

dirkdirden
04-19-2006, 09:40 PM
more than likely he thinks he is too good for video games now that he is the BIG 15. He proably has a freind or two at school who don't like video games and he is just following the leader becuase he is weak.

People don't change that much. Its one thing to stop playing them, its another to think they are evil and bad all together. Someone or something is influenceing him, it will pass as soon as his influence is gone.

You are the Older brother right. Just kick his ass even time he says something or rolles his eyes, he'll get the piture soon enough.

crono_logical
04-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Show him some H-games and see what he thinks then :monster:

a nirvana fan
04-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Trust me, if he loved video games as much as you make out, he wont have gone off them completely, he's probably going through a phase where he thinks he needs to act older as he gets older but will probably soon realise he wont need to in order to get through life.

project X
04-19-2006, 10:43 PM
It happens. He might just be going through a phase because someone he looks up to/is friends with told him that video games suck. :greenie:

Madame Adequate
04-19-2006, 11:23 PM
WHAT!!! THATS F****N' CRAZY HOW COULD HE!!! BURN HIM AT STEAK!!!WTF!!!

This is the best post ever.

Neohart
04-20-2006, 05:45 AM
I Did the same thing for the first week when I turned 15. I changed from playing...more unrealistic games like Halo, Halo2, EQ etc. to playing more realistic games, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Ace Combat, Metal Gear. Don't get me wrong though I still enjoy a good game of VII or VIII. Just like it said earlier; People Change.

Gau Dude
04-20-2006, 06:01 AM
It's not madness, it's psychology. From my point of view, you can:

1. Start a whole freakin' psychology carreer, or
2. Kill him. with a sword. A shiny one. JUST LIKE IN VIDEO GAMES.

dirkdirden
04-20-2006, 06:05 AM
I Did the same thing for the first week when I turned 15. I changed from playing...more unrealistic games like Halo, Halo2, EQ etc. to playing more realistic games, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell, Ace Combat, Metal Gear. Don't get me wrong though I still enjoy a good game of VII or VIII. Just like it said earlier; People Change.

yeah people do change but not from One day likeing video games, and the next day thinking they are cause of all that is wrong with the world, and hateing everyone who plays them.

I can understaind not wanting to play video games anymore but why would he hate people who play video games as well, and why whould he hate everything about video games.

Gau Dude
04-20-2006, 06:10 AM
This is the best post ever.

By far.

lordblazer
04-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Alright, I've got a little brother, and he was always as interested in games as I am.
We used to play Perfect Dark and Super Smash Bros at night, and he was always eager for the next evening.
However, about two years ago, when he turned 15, he started sounding more and more like a typical parent: he started whining about games being "bad", and he sounded incredibly proud every time he stated that he "hadn't touched a video game for months", bla-bla-bla.
Now he's driving me insane, as well: he keeps on criticizing me every time I play a game ("video games... ha... ridiculous..."), and he's decided NOT to have any positive opinions about a video game at all.
A while ago I asked him, politely, how he liked the world map music from Final Fantasy 4 (the Celtic version!): "hey, bro, this is from FF4, how do you like it? :)", and he mumbled some stuff like "well, it's nothing you listen to in daily life, and that's not really any serious music, because it's from a video game; but I guess it's alright, or something".

What the hell has gotten to him?
I mean, not very long ago he practically worshipped games, and now he's ashamed of them? :confused:
Is it some desperate attempt to seem like a grown-up, or what?

Well parents today are now facing the fact that video games aren't for kids. Yet they still preach to teens and kids that if you want to be an adult thenyou need to stop playing video games. YEt the average age of a gamer today is 28 or was it 30? Anyway this is a clear contradiction due to the wide array of audiences that video games attract.
Video games are jsut something to play and have fun and have a little escape from everyday life. Most adult play video games. Tell your brother this. Tell him that in highschool and in school period you ar ebrainwashed to a lot of things. Like History. Man the history taught in the US is completely flawed. Now look at college. Companies like College Board and ACT who say that if you take there test it'll tell you if you're college material or not. They scare you. They overrate maturity. Your brother is a sap to believe him yet so many are because they feel that since that teacher or principal is an adult then maybe they're right.

Also yeah tell him not to be like me and jus tplay video games all day and not study. I mean I'm ranked 3rd in my class out of 50 but man lol if I studied more I could've been validvictoria.

But yeah Video games have no age barriers. MAturity is overrated in school. True maturity is just how you treat people, and talk to people. How a person acts, and reacts to certain situations. How a person can handle horrific situations. Thats true maturity.

The maturity taught in school is that you need to stop playing video games. You need to say yes sir no maam. You have to always look presentable and always be serious. THis is very unrealistic. You can't always have a professional act. Thats too dull.

Peter_20
04-20-2006, 02:20 PM
But yeah Video games have no age barriers. MAturity is overrated in school. True maturity is just how you treat people, and talk to people. How a person acts, and reacts to certain situations. How a person can handle horrific situations. Thats true maturity.I was moved by these lines.
Beautifully written! :)

Markus. D
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
;\.... maybe he is a sex god?

crazybayman
04-20-2006, 05:02 PM
omnislash his a$$!!

That'll learn 'im.

Hawkeye
04-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Show him some H-games and see what he thinks then :monster:
ahahahahahahahaha

Renmiri
04-20-2006, 07:42 PM
As a parent of 3 I gotta tell you I much prefer videogames to TV.

With videogames:
- I have NO commercials trying to brainwash my kids into buing all kinds of junk food and fashion toys.
- Rating WORKS: If I get a PG game it has no kid having a crush on another, no sexual situations, no cussing, etc.. You don't get THAT with nowadays cartoons
- It is not boring like Teletubbies and Boobah and other "safe" kids TV. My 7 year old and my 5 year old can't stand the only TV I would let them see. No wonder, it's plain RETARDED!!!
- It is interactive. They need to do stuff and conquer challenges instead of just being couch potatos
- I can play too. We do "missions" together and I "drive" the controls through the hardest parts. We have conquered Bevelle's cloister (FFX2) with my kids getting up to level 40 and I doing the rest, with them chiming in: Mom, use Darkness now, get gunner DS on, etc... To me, this is part of quality family time :) TV is not
- The right VG teaches self sacrifice, attention to detail, diligence, etc..
- Violence can also be controlled easier with VGs. A "mild violence" movie on TV has a lot more blood that the ZERO blood that is on the games I let my kids play.
- Teaches hand eye coordination and small motor skills, without having to fill my carpet and house with playdoh
- Teaches them a valuable technology for their age: computers

And the music is outstanding! I would have never gotten my kids to enjoy Opera and sacred music (like FFX and FFVIII hyms) if I let them watch spongebob, Jimmy Neutorn or even Dora, which is one of the few TV cartoons I let them watch.

PS: I think your little brother might be trying to prove (to you and your parents) that he is more grown up than YOU... Don't let him get to you. Mature people are not afraid saying they like what they like ;)

oddler
04-20-2006, 09:17 PM
- I have NO commercials trying to brainwash my kids into buing all kinds of junk food and fashion toys.
- Rating WORKS: If I get a PG game it has no kid having a crush on another, no sexual situations, no cussing, etc.. You don't get THAT with nowadays cartoons
- It is not boring like Teletubbies and Boobah and other "safe" kids TV. My 7 year old and my 5 year old can't stand the only TV I would let them see. No wonder, it's plain RETARDED!!!
- It is interactive. They need to do stuff and conquer challenges instead of just being couch potatos
- I can play too. We do "missions" together and I "drive" the controls through the hardest parts. We have conquered Bevelle's cloister (FFX2) with my kids getting up to level 40 and I doing the rest, with them chiming in: Mom, use Darkness now, get gunner DS on, etc... To me, this is part of quality family time :) TV is not
- Violence can also be controlled easier with VGs. A "mild violence" movie on TV has a lot more blood that the ZERO blood that is on the games I let my kids play.
- Teaches hand eye coordination and small motor skills, without having to fill my carpet and house with playdoh

Very nice. That's exactly how I see it.

Gau Dude
04-20-2006, 10:48 PM

Wow! I never thought about it that way. Still, no one is letting me get my own PS, so life still sucks.