PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your turn signal?

project X
04-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Supposedly Chicago is well known for people not using their turn signals. I always use mine, of course. :love:

But the other day I was driving along, minding my own business.. and suddenly, this red car speeds up, goes into my lane and then abruptly stops. You guessed it, no turn signal. They were so close to making me hit them. :mad2:

Discuss:
- Using turn signals.
- Stupid things people do on the road.
- Red cars.

TheAbominatrix
04-18-2006, 09:46 PM
I always always use my turn signals. It bothers me when people dont, especially when changing lanes.

What bothers me the most while driving is when people ride my ass, or follow other people too closely. It makes me very very nervous.

Meat Puppet
04-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Last time I didn't I had an accident. I've not not used it since.

mega_tonberry
I always always use my turn signals. It bothers me when people dont, especially when changing lanes.

What bothers me the most while driving is when people ride my ass, or follow other people too closely. It makes me very very nervous.

Zeldy
Im not psychic, how do I know which way your turning?

project X
04-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Im not psychic, how do I know which way your turning?
My thoughts exactly. :mad:

Druggelz
04-18-2006, 09:56 PM

Same here.

Raistlin
04-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I always use my turn signal. Always. I can be changing lanes with no cars within a mile of me, and I'd still use my turn signal unless I consciously thought not to.

Which makes this all the more ironic. I've been pulled over once in my life and I got a ticket for that one time. For failure to signal a lane change. What probably happened is that I just lazily pushed it down and then let it back up after just a click or two, and the cop (who was a car or so behind me) didn't see it. Either way, it's bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. But now it irritates the hell out of me to see people not using their turn signal, because they'll never get a ticket for it and I did even though I always do.

Yamaneko
04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
People who don't use turn signals should be lined up against a wall and shot, but first they should be sent out to signaling camps. The rest of us know that we are the superior automobile drivers.

project X
04-18-2006, 10:03 PM
People who don't use turn signals should be lined up against a wall and shot, but first they should be sent out to signaling camps. The rest of us know that we are the superior automobile drivers.
I didn't think anyone else felt as strongly about this as I do. :)

Agent Proto
04-18-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't like it when drivers don't use their turn signal. I usually do use it. And like others, I hate it when someone is driving up close behind me. I would also like to add that it annoys me when people leave their turn signal on, this always leaves the impression that they're going to turn/switch lanes any second when in fact they probably already did switch lanes and forgot to turn off the signal. >_<

Leeza
04-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Exactly.

I find the majority of the people who ignore using their signals and park where ever they wish, etc. and think that they own the road are men with huge trucks. At least in my part of the world.

Shoeberto
04-18-2006, 10:05 PM
There's only one time when I turn without a signal, and it's at one part of my morning commute where I just have gotten into the habit of not doing it - I turn into a left-turn lane at a three-way stoplight, and I dunno, I just have this habit of not using it.

Otherwise, it's one of my biggest petpeeves to see people not using it. I hate driving behind someone, seeing that they're driving unreasonably slow, and then see them pull into the oncoming traffic lane to make a left-hand turn (another annoyance. I can't believe people actually do this - driving in the oncoming lane for a turn. It's stupid).

Yamaneko
04-18-2006, 10:06 PM
I find the majority of the people who ignore using their signals and park where ever they wish, etc. and think that they own the road are men with huge trucks. At least in my part of the world.
I guess you've never encountered the soccer moms over here. :D

Raistlin
04-18-2006, 10:12 PM
I guess you've never encountered the soccer moms over here. :D
Leeza could be just like that, so we should be careful about those comments. :D

Leeza
04-18-2006, 11:20 PM
My daughter has never liked soccer and although I do drive a mini-van type vehicle at the moment (not by choice), I am not now nor have I ever been a soccer mom. :)

bipper
04-18-2006, 11:25 PM
I always use my turn signal. Always. I can be changing lanes with no cars within a mile of me, and I'd still use my turn signal unless I consciously thought not to.

Which makes this all the more ironic. I've been pulled over once in my life and I got a ticket for that one time. For failure to signal a lane change. What probably happened is that I just lazily pushed it down and then let it back up after just a click or two, and the cop (who was a car or so behind me) didn't see it. Either way, it's bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. But now it irritates the hell out of me to see people not using their turn signal, because they'll never get a ticket for it and I did even though I always do.

This post works for me as well, save for I did not get a ticket - for some reason. I am just THAT goe.

My daughter has never liked soccer and although I do drive a mini-van type vehicle at the moment (not by choice), I am not now nor have I ever been a soccer mom. :)

Denial :) That is why I drive station wageons - SO much cooler! :P
Bipper

Levian
04-18-2006, 11:25 PM
We don't have turn signals in Norway. We honk once for left and twice for right. a few foreign cars use signals though.

RSL
04-18-2006, 11:27 PM
Here where I live there's this one T intersection at a major highway that is always busy. I can't remember how many times I've been trying to make a left onto the highway, waiting for one car coming from the left, only to have that car turn onto the road I am and turn their signal on as they begin the turn. It drives me nuts. Usually I'm in a work truck with our company name on the side so I can't flip them the bird. Otherwise I would.

So that leads me to another pet peeve. Not only do I hate it when people don't use their turn signal, I also hate it when they turn it on as they begin turning. Once you have begun to turn there is no longer any point to it anyway.

Cz
04-18-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm still learning to drive at the moment, so I'd get yelled at if I didn't use my signal. I'll definitely make sure to use it once I have my licence, though. It's really irritating (not to mention dangerous) when other people turn or change lanes when you're not expecting them to.

Miriel
04-18-2006, 11:31 PM
I use them when I need to.

I don't think I should be lined up against a wall and shot for not using turn signals when changing lanes on an empty freeway at 2 in the morning. >_>

Dr Unne
04-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Yes, I use mine. I used to work until midnight and I'd use my turn signal after leaving work at 12:30 in a remote parking lot with no one else around.

No one who doesn't use their turn signals is going to post in this thread because everyone will (rightly) ridicule them.

RSL
04-18-2006, 11:36 PM
I use them when I need to.

I don't think I should be lined up against a wall and shot for not using turn signals when changing lanes on an empty freeway at 2 in the morning. >_>

I agree with you, but it's just habit for me to use it even then! I don't even think about it. It's like blinking or breathing for me.

DeShanai
04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
I do, if need be of course. But out here in the Boonies, I dont usually. No need if there ain't anyone for miles behind you.

Yamaneko
04-18-2006, 11:51 PM
It should be done at all times even at 2am in a remote location because you never know, there could be an idiot behind that doesn't have his/her lights on. Everyone should get in the habit. After a while it becomes hardwired into your brain. Besides, the lever is like three inches away from the steering wheel. Come on!

DeShanai
04-18-2006, 11:53 PM
I agree whole-heartedly...however, no one lives out here and my parents are home before I am.
Now, when I'm in town/city limits I DO use my signals constantly...but not when Im in our drive way...and I dont usually drive after 10pm...

Samuraid
04-18-2006, 11:59 PM
I use turn signals just about all the time, unless I'm already in a left turn lane and its completely obvious I'll be turning.

rubah
04-19-2006, 12:59 AM
I use turn signals except turning onto the deadend road that comes off of mine (also dead end) and turning off of my road.

It's so irritating when people signal to turn onto or off of subdeadend road, because I'm used to thinking 'lol there's five houses down that way' but now they've built like four new houses right next to one another and there's out of staters living there and they seem to think they live in a suburbs and not in the middle of rural Arkansas where the county has to pay for the roads but still doesnt but the rest of it is under state maintenance.

That just proves they don't belong there.

(I signal to turn onto my road, but that's because you're going up around a blind curve levelling off ontop of a mountain and there's cars coming towards you. If you're turning off of it, you usually keep pulled in to the side and it's obvious you're about to turn. Else you'd be out further in the road going straight. (lol three way intersection)

nik0tine
04-19-2006, 01:06 AM
I almost always use my turn signal.

I always look behind me when I turn though, even if no one is on the road.

DMKA
04-19-2006, 01:10 AM
I always use them, like you're supposed to. I hate when people don't use them, because I don't see what's so fucking hard about using them for those people who don't, and I'd like to know how they expect me to magically know which way they're going to go next.

Leucant
04-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Lately for some reason i've been out at three a.m. every day this week and i never turn my signal on. Simply because there is no one else out. Its not a big deal and im not going to get side swiped by some car that magically came out of nowhere. I'll sometimes not use it at four-way stops as well if i pull up to the sign first. Its my turn to go and i can go whichever damn way i want and i dont have to tell the guy to my left jack. He's supposed to wait until I'm out of the intersection to go ne ways.

Now having said that, if he decides to go cause he thinks im going straight and he rails into the side of me, then i will get out, beat the hell out of him, and then take my ticket for improper signaling...and probably for beating the crap out of some random guy. Oh well...you win some you lose some

Kirobaito
04-19-2006, 01:12 AM
I use it when there are other cars on the road. If there aren't any, then I wouldn't be signaling to anyone and don't see the point. When there is another car on the road, I do.

I also can't stand it when the front person in the right lane makes the cars behind him or her wait for the green light because that person is going straight.

Odaisé Gaelach
04-19-2006, 01:16 AM
I don't use them, because I'm afraid that the blinking lights will irritate the dog in the car behind me. And it's not a good idea to make a dog angry, especially one that drives.

And also because I can't drive.

Hawkeye
04-19-2006, 01:21 AM
I use my turn signal all the time. What pisses me off is when other people leave their turn signals on, but they don't fucking turn. You get big semi-trucks that will do this /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif and you don't know whether to speed up ahead or to slow down for his stupid ass. That pisses me off the most.

Also, ignorant people who go 60 down a 45 street and don't use their turn signals. You're already breaking one law, and the turn signal ain't gonna kill you.

crono_logical
04-19-2006, 01:28 AM
I use it when there are other cars on the road. If there aren't any, then I wouldn't be signaling to anyone and don't see the point. When there is another car on the road, I do.That's roughly what I do, though I take pedestrians into account too, so it's only very quiet/empty areas and backstreets or in private areas such as in a depot that I sometimes don't bother :p

The other time I don't use where I see other people use it is when in a filter lane which is supposed to only be turning - I don't see the point in using it in this case because you shouldn't be in that lane otherwise if you're going another direction :p

Kirobaito
04-19-2006, 01:29 AM
That's roughly what I do, though I take pedestrians into account too, so it's only very quiet/empty areas and backstreets or in private areas such as in a depot that I sometimes don't bother :p

The other time I don't use where I see other people use it is when in a filter lane which is supposed to only be turning - I don't see the point in using it in this case because you shouldn't be in that lane otherwise if you're going another direction :p

Good point. I don't do it there, either.

Reles
04-19-2006, 02:54 AM
I use it always, unless if there's no one around.

Having someone follow closely behind you is just extremely fun for me. It's just awfully entertaining to see what they do when you drive even slower on purpose just to irritate them.

I do hate those cars that go way under the speed limit and you try to pass them and they get all OMG YOU'RE TRYING TO PASS ME-ish and so they speed up so that you can't pass them and then you get behind them and they slow down again.

What pisses me off is when other people leave their turn signals on, but they don't smurfing turn.

I almost got into a wreck this way, where I thought a car was going to turn right because of his blinker and so since he looked like he was slowing down I was going to go ahead and make my left turn, and nope! He kept going straight so I had to slam on my breaks.

I'm a very angry driver too, I hate stupid drivers, mainly because it can be life threatening, and I'd kind of like to continue living. This is the only thing that makes me very angry, weird.

Shlup
04-19-2006, 06:10 AM
I do use my turn signal. Sometimes I don't when there's literally no one around, but other than that I always use them.

VorpalCyberWolf
04-19-2006, 06:17 AM
Well I used to. Meaning when I used to drive. I still would if I had a car though.

escobert
04-19-2006, 06:50 AM

Behold the Void
04-19-2006, 07:11 AM
I like to not get hit, so I try to use it.

Miriel
04-19-2006, 07:37 AM
Oh yeah, and I think that when you're in a left turn lane and the cars in front and behind you are clicking their left turn signal, it's pretty redundant for me to turn mine on as well. The clicking bugs me.

fantasyjunkie
04-19-2006, 05:51 PM
A ticket going up to $300 or so? DAMN STRAIGHT I USE MY TURN SIGNAL! :D

Mo-Nercy
04-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Red cars are nice. It's like...a FAST colour. xD

Pike
04-22-2006, 04:55 PM
I use my turn signal. Always. It's habit.

This one time my blinkers didn't seem to work, I don't know why, it was only that one drive home from school, but man. I was so paranoid. XD

rubah
04-22-2006, 06:03 PM
That's roughly what I do, though I take pedestrians into account too, so it's only very quiet/empty areas and backstreets or in private areas such as in a depot that I sometimes don't bother :p

What's a pedestrian.