PDA

View Full Version : Terranigma - A SNES classic!

Gau Dude
04-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Does anybody here remember me? Well, please don't. I was a total headeche.

---

"Terranigma", the 3rd and last part of "Heaven & Earth Trilogy", couldn't make it to the USA. Why?..
No doubt about it. It was a piece of religious material.
Read, for example, this text, taken from "RPG Classics":

"Ark. He's the hero of the game, and although a bit mischievous, he's a good bloke. But what is the connection here ? We all know about the tale of Noah's ark, but does that have anything in common with our red-headed hero ? Maybe. Noah's ark was famous for surviving a huge change in terrain, which is applicable in the game. The ark was also known best for carrying the animals. Ark, in the game saves the animal kingdom and can even talk with them for half the game. An Ark is another name given to a chest or a box. The most famous would be the 'Ark of the Covenant', and the 'Ark of the Testimoney'. It is a wooden coffer containing tables of Jewish law. Not that you really care, I suppose. It is from here that we derive this joke, one of such ludicrous poor quality, that it might stop you from reading the rest of this file. Here it is: "Did you hear about the film where Ark was stuck in Zue, and didn't know where to go next ?" "Yeah - Raiders of the Lost Ark." Groan. I don't know who made it up, but they deserve a good shoeing. Anyhoo, you can make up your own mind as to whether or not you believe this, but Noah's Ark played a big part in the resurrection of the Earth, animals and human population, just like the hero Ark did. It's up to you to decide...".

So, what do you think?
Religion, or RPG?
...This...

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/sistine/7-Noah.jpg

...Or this?

[http://schueler.brgkepler.at/kgriebaum/chicken-online/ark_fighting.jpg

After finishing the trilogy, I find it hard to believe that it was really a religious tale. If there was any connection, I believe it was a joke. And you?

theundeadhero
04-19-2006, 02:50 AM
What?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-19-2006, 02:55 AM
I doubt that Terranigma was denied American release on account of that, since its religious implications weren't any more ornate than those of, say, Actraiser. Sadly, it was more likely due to something as mundane as scheduling conflicts; Nintendo could be very odd about their promotional priorities back in '95.

For example, we know from emulation that Star Fox 2 was one hundred percent complete, a worthy sequel to a hit game, and a stellar game in its own right. But it was never released anywhere because Nintendo decided it would be more worthwhile to devote that effort to advertising the upcoming N64 that much more. Similarly, the original Mother was completely translated and even had gameplay touch-ups such as a run button for an American release (http://www.lostlevels.org/200407/200407-earthbound.shtml), but it was kept under wraps and knocked around in marketing schedules from 1990 until 1994, when it was finally cancelled.

a nirvana fan
04-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Havent played the game...*rushes to download ROM*:D

Dreddz
04-23-2006, 07:06 PM
Illusion of Gaia is better ;)

Gau Dude
04-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Illusion of Gaia is better ;)

*May contain spoilers*

They are preety much the same.
Terranigma is quite better, but then again it's FULL of plotholes. And the whole Yomi thing.. Wel.. It sucks. I mean, just because of him you have to save the WHOLE FREAKIN' WORLD. And the twist about him is much worse. Comeon, so he was evil, so what? If he tries to kill the hero you don't invent a "good" copy of him that was just waiting at the other side of the room, for crying out loud! And the elder-Dark Gaia thing, well.. I knew it all along. You have to be blind AND autist to don't see it. Also Beruga has he's own religious refferences, BADLY.
So if you consider that (Seems like there's much to consider, but it isn't), "Illusion of Gaia" and "Terranigma" preety much compare.
Now SoulBlazer - THAT sucks.

DJZen
04-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Soul Blazer was skraight pimpin', don't be hatin'!

NeoCracker
04-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Illusions of Gaia was easily the best, and yes, soulblazer sucked. Terrinigma was an mediocer game, but still worth playing. I enjoyed it.

DJZen
04-24-2006, 08:59 AM
You trippin' dawg.

Gau Dude
04-27-2006, 03:04 AM
If you ask me, Illusion of Gaia had a good story with a bad developing. Yeah, that would describe it.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I beat Terranigma in Japanese (using a ROM of the game that came out in Europe to help me translate, and see how funny and dumb the name changes were). It's pretty good. There are some cheesy parts, but the story was good overall, and the gameplay is also good. I liked it. The ending is beautiful and sad.

Ralph
05-27-2006, 02:01 PM
ugh, am I the ONLY ONE ON EARTH to dislike Illusion Of Gaia, while LOVING Soulblazer and Terranigma?

And I loved the part in Terranigma where you had to revive the world and could talk to animals... that is, AFTER the Ra Tree. Which is the worst part of the game. Sylvain Castle rocked, on the other hand.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, those paintings in there were freaky, and other stuff like the ending. I was like, "OMG, I'm not playing on my PS1, am I? No, this is definitely your Super NES. Wow." And then I got Tales of Phantasia. "Yume wa owaranai!" at which point I was like, "man, we had no idea what the Super NES could do in this country."

I should get Soulblazer and Illusion of Gaia. In Japanese or English or both? I haven't decided yet.

Moon Rabbits
05-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Was Illusion of Gaia that terrible game where you played as the kid with the red stick, brown hair and blue clothes? And there were the Aztec's with their slender fingers (that were skeletal >.>)

EDIT: Upon Googlation, it is. I hated that game. If I remember right I've played a Terranigma rom, which I didn't mind.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Interesting trivia about Terranigma compared with Tenchi Souzou.

Tenchi Souzou: Scandanavia
Terranigma: Scandia

Tenchi Souzou: Crystalholm and Stockholm
Terranigma: Crysta and Storkholm

Another thing I noticed when I was playing both versions at the same time, the guy who quizes you in the Quintet Bldg disappears in Terranigma, so on my console playing Tenchi Souzou, I had to be quised like 10 questions in Japanese w/o access to a translation, and it was very hard. All I could read mostly was the names of games, but that helped me remember which answer to pick, and after a half hour I won myself a Primeblue, which I just remember was changed to something silly like Magirock.

Ralph
05-28-2006, 01:59 PM
!!!! The questions! The questions of which I heard a lot about but never really saw them!

Do you remember some?

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Well, this is by memory, but

Is Actraiser an RPG? Answer, no.
Actraiser 2 wa . . .
...Gaia...
Soul Blazer. . .

They just ask you about their games; there's also some with the word Quintet in them.

Ralph
05-31-2006, 03:48 PM
Wait... Quintet made Actraiser too?
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW! THAT SINGLE LINE EXPLAINED THE FACT THAT THE LIFE BARS IN ACTRAISER AND SOULBLAZER\ACTRAISER 2 AND ILLUSION OF GAIA ARE IDENTICAL!!

asukaevaunit02
06-20-2006, 02:17 AM
sounds like a good game, are they all linked like in a series or something? if they are what order should i play them in?

Ralph
06-24-2006, 03:53 PM
They're all made by Quintet. And part 2 has some small references to part 1, and part 3 has tiny references to 2.
The correct order is:
SoulBlazer
Illusion Of Gaia\Time
Terranigma.

asukaevaunit02
06-28-2006, 05:15 AM
They're all made by Quintet. And part 2 has some small references to part 1, and part 3 has tiny references to 2.
The correct order is:
SoulBlazer
Illusion Of Gaia\Time
Terranigma.

thanks for that ill get them and start playing them