PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Disney film after Lion King in the 1990s

Heartless Soul
04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Or the ''downfall'' era, as so many people that hate it call it. I'm talking about after Lion King but before Emperor's New Grove. So, the choices would be Pocahontas, The Hunback of Notre Dome, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan and Fantasia 2000. I liked all the movies after Lion King, but Hercules and Mulan appealed to me the most.

Shiny
04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Lion King happens to be my favorite animated movie of all time. And my favorite play too! So this is a hard choice, but I'm going to go with Mulan.

Ballistix Man
04-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Hercules.
Hades owned.

Kirobaito
04-19-2006, 09:58 PM
1. Pocahontas
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. Hercules
4. Mulan
5. Tarzan
6. Fantasia 2000 (I hate Fantasia with a passion)

I made this list before realizing the order they went in. Not a good trend, I don't think.

Strider
04-19-2006, 10:04 PM
The Hunchback of Notre Dame has always been one of my favorites because it was surprisingly dark for a kid's movie. I approved.

DMKA
04-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Mulan.

Meat Puppet
04-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Probably Mulan. She's hot.

Rye
04-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Mulan, fo sho'. :D

Black Angel
04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
I loved Mulan.

DarkLadyNyara
04-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Mulan.

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
04-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Tarzan. Dunno why but I loved that movie :p

DudeSon2004
04-20-2006, 02:09 AM
Hercules I liked.

Shoden
04-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Hercules was good.

FallenAngel411
04-20-2006, 02:16 AM
Mulan is still one of my fave Disney movies.

Madame Adequate
04-20-2006, 03:19 AM
Hercules and Mulan are both awesome. Pocahontas wasn't too bad, either. The Lion King and The Emperor's New Groove > everything though.

Except Tron.

friedpork
04-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Mulan is definetly the best out of those six.

Miriel
04-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Mulan.

Azure Chrysanthemum
04-20-2006, 06:23 AM
I loved the music for both Tarzan and the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and I thought both were pretty solid movies.

I also loved the music for Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmaron, which I think needs to be on that list. I'm pretty sure it's Disney.

Was never really that fond of Pocahontas, so it's low on the list.

Fantasia I need to see before I pass judgement on.

Hades is probably one of the best Disney characters ever, so Hercules gets major points for that.

Mulan was pretty solid but didn't really catch my attention.

Yeah. There.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Mulan. I still begrudge Disney for their horrendous rendition of Greek Mythology. I mean Hera actually liking Heracles? *laughs at idea*

Spiffing Cheese
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Mulan and Pocahontas were both godly. I watched Pocahontas six times in one day when I was little, and Mulan was my favourite film were a good few years. :D Tarzan was pretty good, too, but I saw it when I was older so I think that's why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Marshall Banana
04-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Impossible to choose!
Hmmm. Pocahontas, maybe? I was pretty crazy about it when I was younger and still am, I guess. I love Tarzan, though. And Hercules. And Mulan. So hard. ;_;

Mo-Nercy
04-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Mulan <3

Heartless Soul
04-20-2006, 03:08 PM
I still begrudge Disney for their horrendous rendition of Greek Mythology. I mean Hera actually liking Heracles? *laughs at idea*
I think you mean Meg. Disney would never support incest in their movies. But then again, Hera never liked Heracles in Greek Mythology. Mulan technically isn't close the original legend and some Chinese begrudge Disney for that. Go figure.

Hades is teh roxrz and Meg is a VERY different Disney heroine. She's one of the fiew heroines who isn't looking love, but can't help but do so and who was willing to ''die'' to save a loved one. You gotta love the sarcasm too!

''You know how men are. They think ''No'' means ''Yes'' and ''Get lost'' means ''Take me I'm yours'' with a smile at Hercules and then telling him to ask Phil what she means because HE knows.

04-20-2006, 03:57 PM
No I meant Hera. Megara was Heracle's first wife who he mudered, along with his children, when Hera made him go insane.

Okay, I do admit I found the movie amusing, though there was some portrayals that were far from right.

I Took the Red Pill
04-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Not sure if it was in the 90's, but I watched Fox and the Hound alot.

DarkLadyNyara
04-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Not that it's a bad movie, but I knew a little to much about Greek Mythology to have enjoyed Hurcules. :rolleyes2 Hera was not his mother, and she hated him. And Hades wasn't the bad guy. But it's a cute movie for the kids.

Heartless Soul
04-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Not that it's a bad movie, but I knew a little to much about Greek Mythology to have enjoyed Hurcules. :rolleyes2 Hera was not his mother, and she hated him. And Hades wasn't the bad guy. But it's a cute movie for the kids.
Does that make me a kid?

:(

Seriously, Mulan isn't that close to the original legend/tale, yet, it's considered a classic. Hercules has humour little kids wouldn't understand IMHO. It's same with Emperor's New Groove. I always thought Hera was never Hercules' mom because of her hate for him and the fact Zeus had a habit of ''cheating'' on his wife with various goddesses/humans/things/etc.... Zeus even had a gay lover too. It's true it's not like the actual mythological stories, but THEY'RE not real. Also, there many versions of what happend. None which tell what exactly happend. You could say Disney made their own. One for a suitable audience, not just kids though.

:)

Jack
04-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Hercules. It's actually my favourite Disney film EVER.

I still fancy Meg, even after all these years. :love:
There are other awesome reasons why I love this film but right now, it's all about the Meg.
I would marry her, but apparently Disney animators have got a bit shoddy in the recent years so won't draw the wedding scene.

My girlfriend is a lot like her

SammieBabe
04-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Of the ones on your list, Fantasia 2000 is my favorite. I had a hard time enjoying some of the others due to having known the stories....

04-21-2006, 01:43 AM
Does that make me a kid?

:(

Seriously, Mulan isn't that close to the original legend/tale, yet, it's considered a classic. Hercules has humour little kids wouldn't understand IMHO. It's same with Emperor's New Groove. I always thought Hera was never Hercules' mom because of her hate for him and the fact Zeus had a habit of ''cheating'' on his wife with various goddesses/humans/things/etc.... Zeus even had a gay lover too. It's true it's not like the actual mythological stories, but THEY'RE not real. Also, there many versions of what happend. None which tell what exactly happend. You could say Disney made their own. One for a suitable audience, not just kids though.

Yes, Zeus did have a gay lover. Why do you think Ganymede is the his personal cupbearer? Yes, Alcmene is his real and mortal mother. I know I am nit-picking, but that is just because I love Greek Mythology. Also to note there is a general consensus between Classicist to what the basic myth entails; it is only minor details that change from the varying sources, yet each difference holds significance (e.g. Eros born from Chaos versus Eros born from Aphrodite)

Surely if I had the same passion for Chinese Mythology I was also be infuriated about the protrayal of Mulan. I guess ignorance is bliss.

BTW not related but there is no proof that Zeus is real or not. Zeus was worshipped once upon a time. So people did believe in the myths or at least the gods.

Gau Dude
04-21-2006, 01:49 AM
How can you not hate it?

Still, "Treasure Planet". It was the only good movie of that era, which was a total failure because of the movie that came by that time ("The Jungle Book 2"?? Give me a break!).

Also, There are three more movies I liked, but I watched them so long ago that I can't really say they were that good:

1. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (They made a sequel *sob*... A SEQUEL!!).
2. Fantasia 2000 (I remember being such a kiddo and watching this film, all alone in the cinema [The first movie I saw by myself!]... Man, what a day.), how amusing it was.
3. Tarzan (Hey, it is good!).

look_out_below
04-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Yeah Hercules was one of my favorites from that time, but your list is missing a lot of Disney movies that fit in that time period. Some of the others of that time that i liked were The Santa Clause (best christmas movie ever), Toy Story, Flubber, A Bug's Life, and Dinosaur (i love this movie).

rubah
04-21-2006, 02:42 AM
I was going to say 'lion king is one of the first movies I remember knowing about before it came out!'

then I realized that all the disney movies I've liked we had before then.

Well 'ing.

Zeromus_X
04-21-2006, 02:45 AM
I dunno...most Disney movies are pretty good. I just can't stand this 'direct-to-video-sequel' rubbish that pops up every now and again, ugh. :eep: :cat:

Heartless Soul
04-21-2006, 03:15 PM
BTW not related but there is no proof that Zeus is real or not. Zeus was worshipped once upon a time. So people did believe in the myths or at least the gods.
Ummmm.... I know that, and so weren't other Gods. I DO know, however, Greek Mythology, as well as Roman, played a role for the creation of manga series that involved Japanese school girls fighting evil and for love and justice in short, sailor mini-skirts. BUT THAT'S a different story.

:p

To other poster: True, I fogot some movies, but I'm only counting animated ones. Bug's Life doesn't count either.

04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Ummmm.... I know that, and so weren't other Gods. I DO know, however, Greek Mythology and was a Roman, played a role for the creation of manga series that involved Japanese school girls fighting evil and for love and justice in short, sailor mini-skirts. BUT THAT'S a different story.

:p

Alas, my Achilles' heel! There is one tiny mistake, I forget if it was intentional or not, in Sailor Moon regarding Greek/Roman Myth, but now is not the time nor the place to discuss it.

Zeromus_X
04-22-2006, 04:40 AM
I've been thinking about it, and I'd say that Hunchback of Notre Dame was a very good film. And was actually pretty dark for a Disney film :cat:

Rengori
04-22-2006, 05:33 AM
I'd say Finding Nemo or The Incredibles, but my school showed those to us at the end of the year far more times than what was nesicary. Mulan was pretty good.

Marshall Banana
04-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Not sure if it was in the 90's, but I watched Fox and the Hound alot.
That movie is great. I love it. <3
It was made in the 80s, though, I think.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame never ever appealed to me, so I've never ever seen it. X3

Dark Angel From Heaven
04-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Or the ''downfall'' era, as so many people that hate it call it. I'm talking about after Lion King but before Emperor's New Grove. So, the choices would be Pocahontas, The Hunback of Notre Dome, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan and Fantasia 2000. I liked all the movies after Lion King, but Hercules and Mulan appealed to me the most.
i wasent a big fan of the first lion king, but the 2nd i liked. Hercules i liked and Mulan, Tarzan and Fantasia,Emperor's New Grove,The Hunback of Notre Dome....lol Pocahontas and Pocahontas 2.i seen a lot

~SapphireStar~
04-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Lilo & Stitch and Hercules! Both had amazing OSTs and character voices. Love them both!

Ishin Ookami
04-24-2006, 02:54 AM
Hercules. It just had a great overall story, some interesting character development, some very cool battles with interesting animated effects, I thought it was almost as strong as Lion King.

Everything else I hated. I thought Tarzan was way too predictable. I forsaw every plot twist and character arc about thirty minutes before it happened. A film that cliche doesnt really have much entertainment value.