PDA

View Full Version : This Invites Curiosity...

Laugh at face of Danger
04-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Seifer

i like to pronounce it as basically "safer", however, on closer inspection of languages, should it be pronounced "cypher"?

For exmaple, in German, you use the second vowl in an ei or ie pair so they would pronounce it cypher for sure! and i just have to be random and called him safer.

Thoughts?

Blackmageboi
04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
see-fer don't know why i pronounce it like that though.

IceAngel
04-19-2006, 10:53 PM
I've always pronounced it as cypher. I have no idea why. Might be because I'm British :D .I think it could be 'see-fer' though because its kind of like that rule "i before e except after c' like in the word receive.

crazybayman
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
I think it could be 'see-fer' though because its kind of like that rule "i before e except after c' like in the word receive.
Exactly. 'See-fer'. That's how I pronounce it, too.

Although, if it were pronounced the way a German would, it would probably be Cypher.

Skyblade
04-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Exactly. 'See-fer'. That's how I pronounce it, too.

Although, if it were pronounced the way a German would, it would probably be Cypher.

If it was spelled See-fer, I might pronounce it that way. But the way it's spelled, it should be pronounced identical to cipher.

And, since the pronunciation supplied in KHII agrees with that, I know I'm right.

*~Angel Wing~*
04-21-2006, 01:39 AM
And, since the pronunciation supplied in KHII agrees with that, I know I'm right.
But Kingdom Hearts isn't a reliable source for the correct pronunciations. They say "Tee-dus" in the 1st game and "Ty-dus" in the 2nd game. Watch, they'll probably pronounce it "See-fer" in the 3rd game. :rolleyes2 I have always pronounced it as "See-fer" and I think it's the correct way to say his name, and nobody can change my mind!!! :nonono: :D

rubah
04-21-2006, 02:50 AM
That's because 'tee-dus' is a horrible mistake as 'Tye-dus' is clearly already a real name.

cypher ftw.

Zeromus_X
04-21-2006, 02:52 AM
'Cypher' is the proper pronunciation. :cat:

Ballistix Man
04-21-2006, 02:52 AM
cypher cus I'm not wrong when it comes to these things.

*~Angel Wing~*
04-21-2006, 02:56 AM
That's because 'tee-dus' is a horrible mistake as 'Tye-dus' is clearly already a real name.

cypher ftw.
I've always said "Tee-dus" but let's not get into that. There's already a thread about that in the FFX forum. :D And I still say "See-fer"!!! :smash:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Everything is spelled phonetically in Japanese, so there's little if any room for ambiguity when it comes to pronounciation. And according to the kana used to spell Seifer, it's pronounced like cipher.

black orb
04-21-2006, 09:07 AM
>>> Its Say-pher for me..

boys from the dwarf
04-21-2006, 10:55 AM
see-fer.

crazybayman
04-21-2006, 12:01 PM
If it was spelled See-fer, I might pronounce it that way. But the way it's spelled, it should be pronounced identical to cipher.

That's more like German. In the english language, "ei" is pronounced 'ee' as in the old "i before e, except in receive" rule.

meh, call it what you want. I'm not about to change the way I pronounce it in my head because of the way a character on KH pronounces it. Who says the programmers' and creators' english is perfect? :p

martin
04-21-2006, 12:57 PM
i still haven't got over the fact that it's Choke-a-bo and not chock-a-bo! so i'll stick with See-fer.

Mirage
04-21-2006, 01:03 PM
I pronounce it cypher. I don't think any north european would pronounce it in a different way.

Branwen
04-21-2006, 05:49 PM
I've always pronounced it as sy-fer. No idea why. The same reason i guess as why i say ty-dus instead of tee-dus.....Meh. Who cares anyway. Say it how you wanna say it.

Sergeant Hartman
04-21-2006, 07:35 PM
>>> Its Say-pher for me..
I'm with black orb on this one.

*~Angel Wing~*
04-21-2006, 08:42 PM
meh, call it what you want. I'm not about to change the way I pronounce it in my head because of the way a character on KH pronounces it. Who says the programmers' and creators' english is perfect? :p

:up: YOU TELL 'EM!!! :up:
It's "See-fer", so everyone else shut up. :D

IceAngel
04-21-2006, 09:06 PM
lol, well ive decided that could maybe thats why they decided to do voices later on in the game series. That you can call or pronounce them anyway you want ! :D

Moon Rabbits
04-22-2006, 04:41 AM
Everything is spelled phonetically in Japanese, so there's little if any room for ambiguity when it comes to pronounciation. And according to the kana used to spell Seifer, it's pronounced like cipher.

Cypher/cipher for me.

As little as I know/care to know about the Japanese language, wouldn't Tidus indeed be pronounced /tee-dus/? Wasn't his name originally Tiida or something...? As far as I know i makes an 'ee' sound in Japanese so...Tee-dus is my guess, perhaps Tie-dus would be romanization?

Then again, this isn't about Tidus' name...

So yes, I say Cypher/cipher (s'far as I know those'd sound the same)

Zeromus_X
04-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Seifer->'Cyfer', "Saifaa"

Tida-> 'Teeda', "Tiida"

Like Kishi said, it isn't that hard to find the pronunciation on these words, since Japanese is all phonetic and all.

zbonks
04-22-2006, 05:28 AM
I say cypher because of the way the i and e are arranged. If "seifer" was spelled like Siefer, then it would be pronounced See-fer, but it is arranged like Seifer, so it is cypher

rubah
04-22-2006, 06:18 PM
That's more like German. In the english language, "ei" is pronounced 'ee' as in the old "i before e, except in receive" rule.

seismograph is an english word. and it's not 'seesmograf'

Jessweeee♪
04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Yes, I don't find KH a reliable source to find how to pronounce character names since selphie said "ty-dus" (though personally i do think its tee-dus...wish it were tydus)
anywho...i've always said cypher.

crazybayman
04-25-2006, 12:10 PM
seismograph is an english word. and it's not 'seesmograf'
True.
But as I said earlier, you also have receive, pronounced 're-ceeve', and not 're-cyve'

So there are arguments to both pronounciations.

As well, my girlfriend has a professor with the last name Seifert. Pronounced See-fert.

The first time she mentioned Dr. Seifert in conversation, I was like "OMG U TTLY HV A FF CHARACTER AS A PROF OMG LOL WTF?!?!?!"

Jessweeee♪
04-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I BEFORE E EXCEPT AFTER C!!!
what?

please...don't turn this into the ty-dus vs. teedus thread...that thing is a nightmare!

Rinoa2005
04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
All my friends here in Venezuela pronounce it ....Say-Fur.

Captain Maxx Power
04-25-2006, 11:27 PM
I pronounce it the same way I would Cipher, namely "Si-fer".