PDA

View Full Version : I am a Ninjutsu Warrior

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
04-20-2006, 05:42 AM
or I will be, someday. Right now I just have the potential. I am already known as the crippled midget ninja at school, even though my crippleage is only because I gashed my knees and 5 stitches from my favorite pair of shoes(my heelys). Oh, and Im not a midget. I am 5ft 2 1/2 inches.

But back to the point. I am going to become a ninja. There is a Bujinkan Taijutsu dojo in the next city over and I plan to go there once I can drive, am healed, and have the money.

All this because NINJAS ARE BETTER THAN ALL ELSE...............

stupid samurai's

Rase
04-20-2006, 05:45 AM
I am a Subway Ninja. :cool:

04-20-2006, 05:57 AM
Oh, I just realized that I didn't give this thread a topic. So here it is. I happen to know that a number of you have martial arts experience. Do you have any advice for me before I do go to this dojo? Oh, and what martial art forms do you study?

Casey
04-20-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm currently studying Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, partly because I was inspired by UFC champion Royce Gracie.

Miriel
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Unagi! Danger! DANGER!

Gullick
04-20-2006, 01:40 PM
im studying some Kung fu style that no one seems to have heard anywhere in the world :'( and im hoping to learn Bruce Lee's style 'Jeet Kune Do' as soon as i can drive. The biggest advice i can give you is to not limit yourself to Ninjitsu, when you study a martial art for the first time you tend to think 'yeah, this is the best martil art in the world and i can beat anyone with it'. If you get into that state of mind, you will accept everything your sensai tells you and you won't think for yourself. But if you explore other martial arts you will begin to see the flaws in your own. The biggest example (im not putting down Karate or Kung Fu in anyway, there are flaws in every style) is the classical way of putting your fist at your hip when you punch. this opens your entire body for an attack by your opponent. your Sensai will either tell you that, this is to gain power in your punch or (as my Sifu tells me) it is to ready yourself to deliver the next punch. First, it has been scientificly proven that punches thrown like a boxer, hand near the chest and turning your hip into the punch, will generate more destructive power than the classical punch and secondly if you ever try to throw combinations while using the 'hand on the hip' method, you'll notice your self being slow and open.
basically im just telling you to research into other styles: Tae kwon do, ju jitsu, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling etc. and overall find out what works for you.

04-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks Gullick. I will definitely take your advice. Every season I do collegiate wrestling at my school. I have done a little freestyle and a little greco-roman, but not enough. I was going to go into a freestyle program just after the season, but it didn't open this year, so I couldn't. I was thinking about taking tae kwon do, but I never got around to it.

So, should I take another while taking ninjutsu, or after I have already learned some?

Gullick
04-20-2006, 02:27 PM
it may be best to just take Ninjitsu but just study the concepts of other martial arts in your own time and find a mate to practice with. You may actually see that all martial arts are basically the same, theres only so many types of kicks and punches you can actually do, but some arts do have their own unique(ish) techniques. As you study more and more you'll start to see what can and cant use in a real fight. For example, although spinning kicks look good and can produce a lot of power, you are telling the opponent what you are doing before you actually do it and therefore he can counter. one of the best tools i've seen is the 'straight blast' and 'hand trapping' from wing chun kung fu, ill try to get you a link from a site to show you what it is.

Wing chun version of chi sou (which is related to hand trapping): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6yCVL31XEY

Jeet Kune Do version of hand trapping (you could use this against a boxer btw):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE-sS4Q79pc&search=jeet%20kune%20do

Jeet Kune Do straight Blast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_ckAlB7uA&search=jeet%20kune%20do

soz i still cant find a decent straight blast video for WC. Just picture the JKD version with no elbows or backfists, best way to kinda picture it is ti imagine how you used to pretend you were a train when you were little, you arms moving in circles at you sides. now do it so that your arms are in the opposite place to eachother, so that when one arm is at the top of its circle your other arm is at the bottom, no bring oyur arms so that they are in front of you and close you hands to make fists but keep that circilaur motion with your arms. some people run forward with this but others just move forward slowly. this technique is meant to help you 'blast' your way out of a corner and not giving him time to counter. if the person doesnt block and move back then his face is going to in bits. btw PM sometime, im still kinda a newbie at martial arts so it would be good to share what we know.

-Gull-

Lindy
04-20-2006, 02:33 PM
No, you're not a ninja, you never will be.

Take the T-shirt off your head, put down the frisbee, you can't eat it.

Rase
04-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Wait, why would he eat a frisbee if he's a ninja?

project X
04-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Frisbee = ninja star? :greenie:

Lindy
04-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Read up on internet ninja lore.

Levian
04-20-2006, 07:07 PM
If all else fails, I guess you could learn Japanese from watching anime, then go to Japan and help Square-Enix develop games.

boris no no
04-20-2006, 07:11 PM
If all else fails, I guess you could learn Japanese from watching anime, then go to Japan and help Square-Enix develop games.
Levian posts are love :heart:

I am studying the art of sitting down in front of a computer
It is an ancient art, with many follows. They that follow it go by the name of....nerd

Dolentrean
04-21-2006, 02:04 AM
If you are going into martal arts make sure the school is not a "fast-food" martal arts school. There is a differance in school quality. That is one of the resons I chose the martal arts school I am in.

It takes determination and it would also help if you enjoy it... Go figure.

If you want to be a ninja, you can just go to askaninja.com and see if he can awnser any of your questions. ^^

black orb
04-21-2006, 02:37 AM
>>> The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Ballistix Man
04-21-2006, 02:43 AM
Way I see it is this grab a gun a beer bottle and a stick. Raise hell and get to stickin.
Yee Haw!

Zeromus_X
04-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Most ninjas were really gardeners...so...well, definitely not as glorified as they seem to be, at any rate. :cat:

Although modern 'ninjutsu' is a form of martial arts...I'd guess. :cat:

Ballistix Man
04-21-2006, 02:50 AM
Ninjutsu. They actually teach that to people. Wow. I thought this friend was a joke. I mean imagine all the lurers who just played FF4 who are gonna try to become ninja prince's now.

Zeromus_X
04-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Ninjutsu isn't all the wacky superpowers from fiction, it's just a form of martial arts.

In the modern world the word ninjutsu usually refers to a certain system (Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu) of self defense, and its offshoots. It is true that ninjutsu has a long and myth-filled history, but today almost anyone is allowed to practice modern ninjutsu. As one makes progress in ninjutsu the system gets more sophisticated, and one might realize that the system contains more than fighting skills. To avoid misunderstandings, "ninjutsu" should just refer to a specific branch of Japanese martial arts, unless it is being used in a historical sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninjutsu

Ballistix Man
04-21-2006, 02:57 AM
Still imagine all the dissapointed lurkers who just read that.

dirkdirden
04-21-2006, 07:41 AM
beeing a ninja isn't all its cracked out to be. Yeah I get to kill people every now and then but who doesn't.

ShadowNINku
04-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Ninja's are awesome but studying

Wrestling,

Muay Thai,

Boxing,

Brazilain Jiu Jitsu, or

Judo ,

Kyokushinkai Karate

would make you a better fighter since they actually **spar**, I was a "yellowbelt Ninja" as a kid, I still love the whole NINJA thing (tenchu!!!) but now I realize that it was good as far as spiritualtity but not to kick ass
:tonberry:

ShadowNINku
04-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Real Straight Blast Gym meaning and training videos-> from the founder himself Matt Thorton

On what is "WRONG" with traditional martial arts-> May offend some
http://www.roninathletics.com/video/sbg2.wmv

UK seminars->http://www.roninathletics.com/video/sbgi_seminartour.wmv

http://www.roninathletics.com/video/mattseminar.wmv

04-21-2006, 11:52 PM
I never said I wanted to learn it for fighting. I want to learn it because learning martial arts is a very good way of disciplining yourself. It gives me something to focus myself on.

Ultima Shadow
04-22-2006, 01:27 AM
I know how to kill people with spoons. :greenie:

Rengori
04-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Don't be a jerkass, dumbass, smartass, or anything else with the word ass except kickass and badass, and expeect pain. Lots of pain. Not emotional pain, physical pain.

Odaisé Gaelach
04-22-2006, 03:30 AM
Don't get discouraged! It takes a long time to learn a martial art, so don't expect it to happen overnight... just listen to your sensei (and they might not be as tightly wound as you first think).

And have fun! I train in Aikido (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido), and one of the main rules set down by its founder Morihei Ueshiba is, "Always practice Aikido in a joyful and vibrant manner."

Peegee
04-22-2006, 03:32 AM
Ninjas flip out all the time and BREAKDANCE TO POLKA BEATS

I have the greatest idea for a movie: Breakdancing Ninjas.

10/10

Dolentrean
04-22-2006, 03:38 AM
On topic: If you really want to go far in the martal arts (a good martal arts style) dedicate yourself to it. I have been in martal arts for 4 years now and only on my third belt. in a bad martal arts style 4 years can get you a black belt. stick with it and never take the easy path.

Off topic: the is and.

Itsunari 2000
04-23-2006, 02:05 AM

10/10

Firstly, grow up.

Secondly, your idea sucks. STV pap, period.

ShadowNINku
04-23-2006, 05:50 AM
In an art such as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu , you are already an advanced practioner at purple belt and can have your own academy and there are still the Brown and Black Belt to come after that , Most never touch Brown or Black EVER

Shoden
04-23-2006, 12:05 PM
But to breakdance you need the groove, do ninjas have the groove? or do they have to be some sort of hybrid gangster ninja?

KoShiatar
04-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Levian posts are love :heart:

I am studying the art of sitting down in front of a computer
It is an ancient art, with many follows. They that follow it go by the name of....nerd

An art of which I am an undiscussed master.

ShadowNINku
04-26-2006, 03:29 AM
But to breakdance you need the groove, do ninjas have the groove? or do they have to be some sort of hybrid gangster ninja?

No doubt that's why you cross train it with capoeira which is even better than breakdancing when the Ninja feels the need to be social

Captain Maxx Power
04-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Why be a Ninja when you can be a Pirate? All that'll happen is all the Pirate kids will laugh at you for being a Ninja and then promptly whack you senseless. Make the right choice : choose Pirate.

Markus. D
04-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I am still a talented Zatsumi Uchiwa black belt.

Ballistix Man
04-27-2006, 01:31 AM

10/10

Firstly, grow up.

Secondly, your idea sucks. STV pap, period.
Dont throw stones at glass houses.

04-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Why be a Ninja when you can be a Pirate? All that'll happen is all the Pirate kids will laugh at you for being a Ninja and then promptly whack you senseless. Make the right choice : choose Pirate.
Cause pirates suck. Anyway, no pirate could catch this ninja.

No doubt that's why you cross train it with capoeira which is even better than breakdancing when the Ninja feels the need to be social
Actually, I was thinking of going for wushu instead of capoeira, I don't think there is a capoeira dojo/school whatever around here.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
04-27-2006, 01:19 PM
my favorite pair of shoes(my heelys)

WOW!!! I LOVE HEELYS!!!!! I can't afford to replace mine at the moment though... shame... they where fun... they confused the chavs...hehe...

Monster Hunt
04-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Ninjustu? I only specialize in attacking with remote controls!

Maybe I should study it a bit... after all it does originate from my background...

Shaun
04-27-2006, 02:28 PM
or I will be, someday. Right now I just have the potential. I am already known as the crippled midget ninja at school, even though my crippleage is only because I gashed my knees and 5 stitches from my favorite pair of shoes(my heelys). Oh, and Im not a midget. I am 5ft 2 1/2 inches.

But back to the point. I am going to become a ninja. There is a Bujinkan Taijutsu dojo in the next city over and I plan to go there once I can drive, am healed, and have the money.

All this because NINJAS ARE BETTER THAN ALL ELSE...............

stupid samurai's

Do you actually know anything about Japanese culture? ^^

gyaku_zuki
04-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I study Seidokan-style Karate, its great. In fact, my nick means "Reverse Punch".
Our (main) sensei has 30+ years experience and is a 6th Dan (level of black belt). We also have other black belts at our club including a 3rd Dan who also has a Ju-Jitsu black belt. So, as a result, we explore other moves and techniques from other martial arts and other styles.

04-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Do you actually know anything about Japanese culture? ^^
Just because I'm immature does not mean I'm ignorant.

fantasyjunkie
04-28-2006, 06:18 AM
im studying some Kung fu style that no one seems to have heard anywhere in the world :'( and im hoping to learn Bruce Lee's style 'Jeet Kune Do' as soon as i can drive. The biggest advice i can give you is to not limit yourself to Ninjitsu, when you study a martial art for the first time you tend to think 'yeah, this is the best martil art in the world and i can beat anyone with it'. If you get into that state of mind, you will accept everything your sensai tells you and you won't think for yourself. But if you explore other martial arts you will begin to see the flaws in your own. The biggest example (im not putting down Karate or Kung Fu in anyway, there are flaws in every style) is the classical way of putting your fist at your hip when you punch. this opens your entire body for an attack by your opponent. your Sensai will either tell you that, this is to gain power in your punch or (as my Sifu tells me) it is to ready yourself to deliver the next punch. First, it has been scientificly proven that punches thrown like a boxer, hand near the chest and turning your hip into the punch, will generate more destructive power than the classical punch and secondly if you ever try to throw combinations while using the 'hand on the hip' method, you'll notice your self being slow and open.
basically im just telling you to research into other styles: Tae kwon do, ju jitsu, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling etc. and overall find out what works for you.

I agree with this post 100% I'm 39 years old and have been training for 20 years as of last month. Took 3 years of Shotokan Karate before deciding it wasn't my thing, than took 5 years of Tae Kwon do before leaving that for kenpo in 1995 until now. It is true that every style has it's weaknesses and it is advantageous(I have no idea if I spelled that right lol) to broaden your horizons. Gullick is right when he says do what works for you! :)

Devourment
04-28-2006, 09:36 AM
When I'm 22 I'm going to be learning Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun & Nunchaku. Preferably not all at the same time though. I'll probably end up doing one for about 10 years & then the next. Reason I'm waiting 'til I'm 22 is because my body will be fully grown then.

Although I do teach myself Nunchaku now, & I know it's dangerous & you're not really meant to, I've got by quite good without having any bruises on my ribs. I haven't used them for ages though..

Jess
04-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I used to do Karate till I was about 10 and then I did kickboxing for a year or so. I'm not a ninja. :( :( :(

04-29-2006, 01:43 AM
I think I mentioned earlier that I would like to take wushu aswell. If the taijustsu doesn't work out for me then I figure I will find something new.

I emailed the runner of the dojo. He told me that only people of a certain level may actually spar at the dojo. Evidentaly real combat would end in the death of somebody.

Odaisé Gaelach
04-29-2006, 05:40 AM
I emailed the runner of the dojo. He told me that only people of a certain level may actually spar at the dojo. Evidentaly real combat would end in the death of somebody.

Well you didn't expect it to be pretty, did you? :)

Zeromus_X
04-29-2006, 05:45 AM
*take in mind I have virtually no knowledge of martial arts*

Wouldn't it be better to just start off small? I dunno, but it seems to me like this dojo is pretty high-class or something. Well, I don't know anything on this subject anyway, so meh. :cat:

ShadowNINku
04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
My school does not advertise itself on how long it's sensei/guru/sifu/or master have been teaching because that only brings about a conformist perspective to the ARTS which is what it is and ART which has no boundaries but with certain rules still implemented

He told me that only people of a certain level may actually spar at the dojo. Evidentaly real combat would end in the death of somebody.

That is total busll/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, you have to spar or train with a slightly resisting partner at the beggining no matter what.... or you won't pick up on timing or get real practice and will be practicing dead patterns for a while losing your time

Now, if what this guy is talking about all out sparring, (which is good usually meant for competitive practitioners) then hell no you don't belong there but every class should have a play/sparring section in order to try out your techniques and LEARN

There are different levels to sparring

Do Judo guys spar from the beggining or as white belts....YES
Do Wrestlers spar within 2 weeks of learning....YES

that is why these COMPETITIVE arts in which people can actually test themselves through competition are poractical and work

Kyokushin Kai Karate spar, maybe not even %50 at the start but they SURE DO after a couple months...this is a reason why out of all the KARATE styles Kyokushinkai is respected because they do more than KATAS and REVERSE PUNCHES therefore sparring and being more effective

Even Capoeira which is not the most practical for fighting spar , this spar is the Roda in which the practitioners PLAY the game

watch this video on sparring and playing the game->http://www.roninathletics.com/video/sbg2.wmv

GhandiOwnsYou
05-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Your posts should be black. True Ninja's wear black. You poser.

05-04-2006, 02:28 AM
I know, taijutsu is not a combative sport. It is about killing. The dead patterns are meant to be met with little to no resistance. This is why the sparring is low key. Maybe sparring is not the right word, but I can't think of a better one.

And yeah, I expected it, I just didn't fully realize what it was I was expecting. Oh, yeah, I got my ninja costume in the mail today. I'm wearing it right now. It is awesome.

05-04-2006, 02:32 AM
I know, taijutsu is not a combative sport. It is about killing. The dead patterns are meant to be met with little to no resistance. This is why the sparring is low key. Maybe sparring is not the right word, but I can't think of a better one.

And yeah, I expected it, I just didn't fully realize what it was I was expecting. Oh, yeah, I got my ninja costume in the mail today. I'm wearing it right now. It is awesome.

EDIT:
Your posts should be black. True Ninja's wear black. You poser.
Wearing and writing are different things.