PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Speeds

Rostum
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
Okay, I've got this huge problem... Let me get your guys up to date.

First of all, I run a Netcomm NB1300PLUS4 ADSL modem, which has a bridged connection to a Netgear WG614 v2. I called Netgear technical support to help me set up these right, so that's all fine... And I called up my ISP (Netspace Australia), and did a speed test from my ADSL modem to their servers (could download a 10mb at 150-170kb/sec), and that's all fine.

I also have a D-Link on my desktop computer that connects the the wireless -- and it's been working perfectly so far.

They don't seem to find any problems with my connection whatsoever. And I'm positive it's not the way I've set everything up, especially since I've been using it for a year with no problems until now -- and that I've called Netgear tech support to help me re-set it up.

I'm getting extremely bad connection speed to anywhere on the internet except Netspace's servers and the D-Link website. And I have no idea why, neither do I think my ISP has any idea (they actually said they don't support wireless, but I don't think it has anything to do with the wireless at all).

Anyone have any ideas why I am downloading at 150kb/sec or so from my ISP's servers, but only 2-5kb/sec from EVERYWHERE on the internet? I'm talking downloading MSN Messenger, Adaware, Windows Updates from Microsfot, anything and everything really.

Please please help, it's been really annoying. ,_,

Samuraid
04-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Wireless infrastructure can sometimes be unreliable, especially if someone else nearby is using wireless on a similar channel. You should try connecting directly to the netgear with an ethernet cable instead of wireless and seeing if that makes any difference.

Rostum
04-20-2006, 10:56 PM
You see I tried that, and nothing happened. Not even a connection. But just before I managed to download an upgrade for the ethernet port in my computer from the Windows Update site. So I can try that...

And I had been using it for 2 weeks prior to this speed drop, and it had been fine? =(

Samuraid
04-21-2006, 08:21 AM
That's very strange. A wired connection on a properly configured router should always offer better performance than wireless. (barring rare problems with the network cable or strange EM interference)

Is there any way you could upgrade your netgear router to the latest firmware version?

Rostum
04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I tried to upgrade the firmware but it said that it was unable to do it for one reason or another.

It's starting to go a bit faster today, but my father's bringing over a new spare router that he has, and we're going to try that out.

Edit: Okay, I tried the new router and windows update installed a new ethernet connection driver into my computer. So I'm connecting the modem straight from the computer via ethernet cable.

This makes it extremely fast, but now there's another problem which leads me to believe I need a new wireless router.

I have my wireless connected into one of the LAN ports on my modem -- but for some reason the laptops we have can connect but have "Limited or no connectivity".

Now, on my computer, the wireless is still active, and it doesn't give that message, and I actually have the connections bridged (I highlighted both in the Network Connections folder, and bridged them). So I'm not sure if that is doing anything -- I can't even access the wireless routers settings through my browser anymore.

How do I fix it so that I can access through the laptops?

Samuraid
04-22-2006, 12:39 AM
I'm a little confused as to how you have everything set up currently.

Optimally, it should be like this:

The LAN/Ethernet port on the modem should be connected to the WAN port on the router. Any non-wireless computers should be connected to the normal LAN ethernet ports on the router. Any wireless computers should be connected through wireless using the correct settings.

If things are not working in that fashion, power everything down. Then connect the power to the modem and wait until it's completely ready. Then connect power to the router and wait until it's completely ready. Then, turn on one of the computers (preferably one that is connected directly to the router with a cable). See if you can open the router's control page in your browser and if you can get an internet connection.

After all is working thus far, try connecting with a wireless laptop.

Rostum
04-22-2006, 09:15 AM
Okay, I found out the settings my ISP told me to put into the modem, were wrong. I changed it back to PPPoE instead of the fully bridged settings it had.

Also, I found out that the cable connecting into the wireless, was connecting into the wrong port, and I had to connect it into the actual numbered ports.

So it's all working fine, all of a sudden. Though thank you for your help. =) I think it was the way I had it all connected, and some of the settings in the modem that the ISP wouldn't tell me if they were correct or not.

How it's connected now:

My Computer > Ethernet port & Cable > ADSL Netcomm modem LAN port 1.

Wireless Netgear router > Port 1 ethernet & Cable > LAN port 2 on the ADSL modem.

So that works.

Samuraid
04-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Glad you got it worked out. :)