PDA

View Full Version : An EoFF Timeline - Classic members, please help!

White Raven
04-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Since my return of regular posting here a couple weeks ago, this place feels a lot different from what I remember. I think it's the low concentration of 'quality' threads and the flood of non-serious members.

Although it just might be me. :P

Anywho, I would like to create a timeline of EoFF's existance, and create era's of existance. Like split the timeline into distinct sections when the forum was significantly different from other times (certain users not around anymore, new concepts, etc...).

So this is where all the 'older' members need to help me. Any input would be appreciated.

:)

Rye
04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
I joined in 2002, so I can help from about then on. :)

I think for each year in the timeline, you should document which admins/CKs were there. Because we have a ton of new CKs now, so many of the old ones are gone/retired. Just a thought. Also, maybe include what forums were there that aren't here now, like the Homework forum, etc? :) I can only think of little details at the moment.

Raistlin
04-20-2006, 03:38 PM
Dec, 1999: the beginning (EzBoard)

I don't remember exact dates for anything else. :( But sometime early in '00, EoFF got the name EoFF. And soon after that the website went up. And then in the spring/summer of '00, EoFF moved to a UBB. Someone else will have to provide more precise dates.

White Raven
04-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks Rye for th input. Now that I had time to ponder aboot it, I think I'll do it by year, perhaps like so:
DEC 1999 - The Creation of the EzBoard
JUN 2001 - Member(s) to join: Raven
DEC 2002 - Member(s) to join: Rye

Or something like that.

**edits** It'll probably be better if I add months... too be more acurate and such.

Loony BoB
04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Check the Wiki for a head-start.

White Raven
04-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Check the Wiki for a head-start.

*looks at it*

:eek:

Didn't know such a cool thing existed, thanks BoB, that'll keep me busy as I procrastinate for my philosophy exam.

edczxcvbnm
04-20-2006, 03:59 PM
*looks at registration date*

I am so raw that I started posting before the board was even created.

I registered in October 2000.

Levian
04-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Please don't include when members joined. Nobody cares.

Raistlin
04-20-2006, 04:55 PM
I agree with Levian. But if you're going to include members, at least just include the bigger names (Dr Unne and BOU - December, '99; Bleys - early '00; etc).

DK
04-20-2006, 05:05 PM
This thread is really helping that "low quality thread" problem. :up:

escobert
04-20-2006, 05:05 PM
and Bert June 2000 ;). But srsly, good idea! I can help with whatever since I've beena round forever.

DeathKnight
04-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Well you can add that I'm one of the new GREATS of the new era:meditate:

Yamaneko
04-20-2006, 06:32 PM
Dec. 1999 - March 2001: The Dark Ages; bunch of crap happened that no one cares about; the board was reset about ten times.

vB2, Golden Age (March 2001 - early 2003): Good members; good (spam) threads; Unne and Bleys were admin.

vB2-vB3, Age where things start sucking again (mid 2003-present): Feedback forum is corrupted by newbies; bad (spam) threads; :tonberry: .

Old Manus
04-20-2006, 06:48 PM
Please don't include when members joined. Nobody cares.

boris no no
04-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Dec. 1999 - March 2001: The Dark Ages; bunch of crap happened that no one cares about; the board was reset about ten times.

vB2, Golden Age (March 2001 - early 2003): Good members; good (spam) threads; Unne and Bleys were admin.

vB2-vB3, Age where things start sucking again (mid 2003-present): Feedback forum is corrupted by newbies; bad (spam) threads; :tonberry: .
I joined diring the sucking phase ;____; (that sounds worse then it should x__X)
April 2005 - First EoFF UK meet up in Birmingham :D

Levian
04-20-2006, 07:34 PM
2000-2005 - EoFF Glory days.
2005-present - EoFF starts to suck because people get all nostalgic about the past and decides that the present sucks and announces that over and over again. Then they go all grumpy and lose their sense of humour, making EoFF suck.

Saying EoFF sucks ain't gonna fix her up, boys. You're only making it worse, dragging other people on the whine train. Seriously, We've had lots of fun since 2003. April Fools, HOOTERS, kirk81, long BOU threads that I've never read and The Power of Cheese to mention a few. skim through the archive for some more. Other than that, we have a nice set of comedians always ready to brighten your day. I've always found something to laugh at in here, not these last weeks though. :p

Psychotic
04-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Oh Lev, don't take their bait. No-one actually pays attention to the likes of Yamaneko, you know.

Yamaneko
04-20-2006, 09:19 PM
I'll just be over there in the corner cutting my wrists remembering how cool this place used to be. :cry:

eestlinc
04-20-2006, 09:25 PM
please note that June 2001 was the big important month in EoFF history when Yams, Del Murder, Leeza, and I all joined.

also, remember October 2001 was the first ever Brucktoberfest as inaugurated by eestlinc and Del Snizz.

Burtsplurt
04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Yep, you can put the dates of all the meet-ups, which may or may not be in the photo album/ archive.

Oh, and the start and end of The Daily Grind, Feedback and that world events forum. Not that I know when any of this stuff happened, but happy hunting!

please note that June 2001 was the big important month in EoFF history when Yams, Del Murder, Leeza, and I all joined.

Er, Yams and Leeza didn't...

Yamaneko
04-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Leeza and I joined in August.

eestlinc
04-20-2006, 09:47 PM
whatever, it's a 90 day long June. It was that important.

Raistlin
04-20-2006, 09:48 PM
April, 2006 - eestlinc started going senile.

black orb
04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
>>> Nothing to do with members but, I wonder when the avatar system started to change..
In 2000 and maybe before that everyone has some fixed avatars according to their post count..
I just can remember a couple of them, the "Noob" avatar (Loony BoB`s) and the "Prince" avatar, I think it was a Crown..

anyways, I miss those avatars..

Raistlin
04-20-2006, 09:55 PM
>>> Nothing to do with members but, I wonder when the avatar system started to change..
In 2000 and maybe before that everyone has some fixed avatars according to thier post count..
I just can remember a couple of them, the "Noob" avatar (Loony BoB`s) and the "Prince" avatar, I think it was a Crown..
... what?

eestlinc
04-20-2006, 09:56 PM
we used to have a rank-based avatar system, way long ago.

black orb
04-20-2006, 09:56 PM
>>> You cant even remember that?

Edit- those avatars are lost right?..

Old Manus
04-20-2006, 10:03 PM
I remember it well.

Yamaneko
I don't think we had the rank-based avatars by the time I joined. I know the post counts lasted until summer '02, though.

DK
You're such a noob, Raisin.

Raistlin
04-20-2006, 10:09 PM
That must've been during one of my absences, because we had no rank-based system when I was around and none when I came back (though mayhap I was allowed a custom avatar when I came back, so I just don't remember).

Dignified Pauper
04-20-2006, 10:16 PM
November 2005 - EoFF Post, runs for one successful issue

January 2006 - EoFF Post, runs for zero successful issues. Later renamed EoFF Post-poned in late February.

Old Manus
04-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Oct 2004 - Marick registers, the age of failed projects begins

Levian
04-20-2006, 10:47 PM
I'll just be over there in the corner cutting my wrists remembering how cool this place used to be. :cry:

Don't forget the glasses. (http://images.emoglasses.org/NewGlassesSmall.jpg) ;)

rubah
04-20-2006, 11:57 PM
April 7-10 2006 Weekend of Smex.

Shoeberto
04-21-2006, 12:04 AM
June 24 - July 9, 2006: Weekend of Smex Ep. II: The Weekend That Went On for Two Weeks

Raistlin
04-21-2006, 12:23 AM
Get a room. :mad2:

Dr Unne
04-21-2006, 12:24 AM
2000-2005 - EoFF Glory days.
2005-present - EoFF starts to suck because people get all nostalgic about the past and decides that the present sucks and announces that over and over again. Then they go all grumpy and lose their sense of humour, making EoFF suck.

People have been nostalgic since 2000. At this point people are nostalgic about the nostalgia. The nostalgia used to be much better back then you know. You don't see nostalgia like that these days.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Things are so much different now than when I left. People are arguing about pointless CRAP, other people have 1000 posts in less than a week, and a billion threads about who's a newbie and who isn't pop up every couple seconds. Even before I left though, things were going downhill quick. More than that, though, the atmosphere here is different. I used to feel happy here, and comfortable. Now I almost feel unwelcome. Or at least, I feel seperate from it all. I feel like I don't belong.

Do any of you remember the way EoFF USED to be? When we were an EZBoard, or a UBB even? When it was still just a couple people, when we were still small? The thing that made this place great was how FRIENDLY it was, and the great people we had. Notice I say WAS. I hardly recognize the place any more. I'm sad to say that pretty much the only reason I come here any more is on the off chance that I'll get to talk with one of the "old-timers" (for lack of a better word), or that, by some freak accident, some intelligent conversation will take place. I am really sad about this. I don't know what if anything we can do about it either. Or even if we should. Probably not. Things change, and nothing can be like you want it to, usually. But I am sad to lose this place, or rather, sad to lose the EoFF I remember. I don't even know if anything is even left of the old EoFF. Maybe I'm just wrong about this whole thing. But I don't think so.Posted on October 27, 2000.

XxSephirothxX
04-21-2006, 12:41 AM
April 1st, 2005 was the most memorable day since I've been a member. I don't know if anything will ever top that.

Raistlin
04-21-2006, 12:44 AM
April 1st, 2005 was the most memorable day since I've been a member. I don't know if anything will ever top that.
:(

EoFF started going downhill the day after I was off staff.

XxSephirothxX
04-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Even if it wasn't the "greatest" moment of EoFF or in the so-called Glory Days, it packed some serious shock power. Virtually every member who was around at that time probably had "Holy /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif" running through their mind all day.:p

Shoden
04-21-2006, 12:56 AM
you can't forget the CrashNUMBERS age and the PiP age, or else their fan brigades will have your heads and put them on a pike, marching around in their deranged fangirl/fanboy rituals! The sheer thought scares the hell out of me.

Trumpet Thief
04-21-2006, 01:02 AM
chaos: If you want to know anything about Eizon....

Rubedo: You know who to call! ;)

Momiji
04-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah, don't forget to add Crash's banning on the timeline. He's an EoFF legend. :D

rubah
04-21-2006, 02:03 AM
and pip isn't~

Jack
04-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Recent reason why this place doesn't suck:
-April 1st 2005- April Fools Day (The aftermath WAS funnier IMO)
-April 2005- EoFF UK Meet-Up I
-July 2005- EoFF Uk Meet-Up II
-April 2006- EoFF UK Meet-Up III
--
Seriously, don't do the member joining thing. That'll take too much time and drive you up the wall. Try to stick to huge events in EoFF history. Like Meet-Ups or the really smurfin' Board action.

Like that time when Rainecloud was trout-slapped by every member here. That was GOOD.

Ki Ki
04-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Reading this thread makes me sad!
EoFF has changed, but like Levian said, it's not like everything changed for the worse because that's how everyone's making it sound! >:

Old Manus
04-21-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't get why people are saying crash's banning was a legendary event - from what I can remember, nobody seemed to care.

In other words, I didn't.

Meat Puppet
04-21-2006, 11:16 AM
If crash is an EoFF legend then everyone here is an EoFF legend.

boris no no
04-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't get why people are saying crash's banning was a legendary event - from what I can remember, nobody seemed to care.

In other words, I didn't.
Yeah, and PiPs just a phase people went through.
Although when crasheNUMBERS came into #eoff the one day I was opped xD So I kicked his bum lots :cool: Maybe not a good day for others but it made me feel good ;)

Loony BoB
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM
There are extremely few bannings at EoFF that I would ever really call significant. People get banned all the time. I would say the most significant bannings were probably The Model Citizen and Linus. But even then, they hardly made an impact on the board when they happened. No ban ever has. People get fussed for a short time and that's about it.

That post by Unne that Kishi quoted was pretty amusing.

I don't think this thread is about change, it's just about what happened. If you're going to put 'ages' in there, it should only be about truly major changes to how EoFF is - not on a social scale but on more factual things. I would go with ezBoard, UBB, vB2 and vB3. If not that, then ezBoard, UBB, Forums-Only (pre-Site Staff), Site Revival (from the time Site Staff came about to the time that EoFF changed it's style) and then finally Revamp (from the time that Rinoabella's style, EoFF 2005, was first set up on the frontsite to present day). In fact the latter 'ages' sound good.

As for major events...

-Forums Creation
-First New Admin
-First Banned Member (not because the member was significant so much as because it was the first time it ever happened)
-Frontsite Creation
-Chatroom Creation
-Major Forum Upgrades (ezBoard, UBB, vB2, vB3, vB3.5)
-Chatroom Server Changes (changing between irc.eyesonff.net, BeyondIRC, FFChat, and irc.eyesonff.com)
-That time when Phoenix hosted us
-Site Staff creation
-Moving away from free hosting
-The ranks thing

The addition of...
The title of 'Cid's Knights' (if it wasn't there on day one).
Custom Titles for 8-month-members.
Custom Avatars for everyone.
Usernotes
Arcade (and the later removal)
The new FanArt section
Various forums (and their removals, in some cases)
Recognized Members

I can't believe Raistlin didn't know about the ranks thing. That also means he doesn't know why I use this avatar or why I call myself the Eternal Newbie. Master of Past and Present, my arse!

bipper
04-21-2006, 12:29 PM
It got a helluva alot better after I joined... ADMIT IT! :tonberry:

fire_of_avalon
04-21-2006, 02:35 PM
This thread makes me laugh a whole lot.

DeathKnight
04-21-2006, 03:03 PM
Get a room. :mad2:
:chuckle: :up:

I know!

Raistlin
04-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Going down Daniel's list for the older stuff:

The Cid's Knights title came a few weeks after the EzBoard started up. We were all regular forum mods before then and then we got the title and all became supermods.

The first banned member that I remember is Tonberry, who afterwards threatened to sue Sean if he wasn't unbanned. Of course, that could just be because he was highly amusing (he also called Umy a "fat version of Fred Savage"). Definitely the first significant banned member, anyway. :p

The EzBoard had custom avatars for everyone. That changed somewhere around the first vB, I guess, when I was hardly ever around.

The first new admin was Quigoni way back in the EzBoard (I used to think it was Unnsey, but he assures me that Quigoni came first). She lasted a month or so. Then Unne was "temp-adminned" for a week (aka "year").

I actually know when Recognized Members started, 'cause I still have the PM somewhere. :D February 21, 2002. Or at least, that's when the staff sent the congratulatory PMs out.

The fronsite happened sometime in the spring of '00 (maybe late winter). I don't remember the exact date. Sean might remember.

Shauna
04-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Well you can add that I'm one of the new GREATS of the new era:meditate:

Was I the only one to laugh at this? :D

Anyway! I can't really help here. I've only been here for a year! :D

Elite Lord Sigma
04-21-2006, 08:36 PM
I could help from October 2005 to the present.

Dignified Pauper
04-21-2006, 08:41 PM
When Psy was made a Cid's Knight, EoFF had become the paragon of internet forums.

Oh, I think this forum went drastically downhill when Final Fantasy was introduced to it.

Elite Lord Sigma
04-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Also, adding in the meet-ups would probably also help substantially.

Caspian
04-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Spam.

Jack
04-22-2006, 01:59 AM
I consider the banning of Baloki very important.