PDA

View Full Version : Hero Spirits - Oh mah GAWD a new version! Sept 07! Play!?

oddler
04-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Edit: Chapters 1 and 2, the latest demo version, can be downloaded from my latest post here. Get moving.

For anyone that is not aware (and interested...), I'm currently in the process of creating a new Fantasy RPG called Hero Spirits. Any and all updates concerning this (completely solo) project will be posted in this thread. As for now, I'll just post some minor details and progress so far. Ready, update!

Installment will boast:

50+ hours of gameplay
Plenty of sidequests based on a "Fame" system
Huge area maps
Large cast of villains and helpful NPC's
900+ equippable items
Lengthy list of techniques/spells
Completely original world and storyline

Here is part of what I have created so far:

1 of 8 "Cities" (Lorna)
5 of 71 area maps (Orchard, Hill, Forest, Temple, Valley)
1 complete sidequest (Brew)

Total Progress: 4% :cry:

Also, a demo version should be available by August 2006. This will be about 10 hours long with a good look into the storyline and sidequests.

The full release is expected to be completed by July 2007. Argh.
Updates will be posted weekly-ish.

Edit: Demo is available for download here... http://www.freewebs.com/raseaudio/Hero_Spirits_Demo.zip

Edit again: The demo game up to the end of the second 'chapter' should be ready by September 15th. Far, far beyond the first time I set but better than nothing.

Old Manus
04-20-2006, 10:44 PM
I'll buy you a drink when you give up.

Shoeberto
04-20-2006, 10:47 PM
These sorts of things go in General Gaming :)

oddler
04-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Ok. Just finished the introduction sequence which took some major time. Didn't get a whole lot done because of that. Oh, well...

Skills 65 / 900
Items 437 / 1000
Monsters 35 / 500
Areas 6 / 79
Sidequests 2 / 64

Total Progress: 13.72 % :(

Next up is adding the first important NPC's and finishing up the missing sidequests and dialogue from the first town. So far, I'm up to 3 hours gameplay. Woot! Things should go a little quicker this week since I won't have a massive event to work through.

oddler
05-04-2006, 03:51 AM
I've had a little redirection as far as creating the game goes. I'm now focusing mainly on the "system" sections such as items and statistics, monsters, and developing battle areas and cities. Hopefully this will speed things along and I will go back and fill in the storyline events afterward. Next undertaking is choosing BGMs. Also, I'll be out of town so this next week may be less productive than normal. Anyway...

Skills 81 / 900
Items 457 / 1000
Enemies 43 / 500
Areas 7 / 79
Sidequests 2 / 64

Total Progress: 15.06% :(

I've played through what I have and going straight through I have almost 5 hours of gameplay. Excitement.

oddler
05-11-2006, 05:02 AM
Yeah, so... Not much new here. Got all BGMs set and the second "city" is almost finished. Like I said, I didn't have a lot of time this week. Oh, well...

Skills 81 / 900
Items 457 / 1000
Enemies 42 / 500 (oops)
Areas 7 / 79
Sidequests 2 / 64

Total Progress: 15.02% :(

On a good note, if things run smoothly I should have the demo version finished before August like originally planned.

oddler
05-18-2006, 04:07 AM
This week was better than last but still not exactly as good as I was expecting. I completed the creation of the second "city" and added quite a few sidequests, too.

Skills 90 / 900
Items 466 / 1000
Enemies 42 / 500
Areas 8 / 79
Sidequests 6 / 64

Total Progress: 16.90% :(

Finally, since I have that "city" done, I'll be able to move things along better. Only a few more places to create and I'll be able to go back and put the events in for the demo version.

oddler
05-25-2006, 04:22 AM
OK... Lots added in this one. I finished maps for the new areas, made a ton of weapon and armor additions, and whipped up a host of new enemies. I love the feeling of things getting done. HA!

Skills 99 / 900
Items 477 / 1000
Enemies 55 / 500
Areas 9 / 79
Sidequests 6 / 64

Total Progress: 18.09% :(

I'll be out of town again this weekend. Time to resume slow-going I guess. Meh.

KentaRawr!
05-25-2006, 05:01 AM
o_o This is like, the weekly bump.

I hope you finish the game. Think you might be able to provide us with a picture or something? It sounds pretty cool. What tools are you using to make it? Are you the only one doing level design, character design, music writing, etc? Or is there a team working on it? Tell me!

oddler
05-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Think you might be able to provide us with a picture or something? What tools are you using to make it? Are you the only one doing level design, character design, music writing, etc? Or is there a team working on it? Tell me!

I'm using RPG Maker XP since that's really the only thing I have, not to mention the only RPG making series of which I've ever heard. And yes, I am the only person working on this project. No one is helping me do any kind of map/character/story development. It will be original... as original as I can make it anyway. By that, I mean that all graphics and music, etc. will be purely default settings already usable in RPG Maker XP. I'm not doing any sprite creation, using any altered tilesets, or composing original music. Sorry... I would very much like to put some pictures or screenshots on here but I don't have any clue how to do that. I'm sort of illiterate in that area of the internet so if you could help me out I would appreciate it.

Rase
05-26-2006, 04:37 AM
Sorry... I would very much like to put some pictures or screenshots on here but I don't have any clue how to do that. I'm sort of illiterate in that area of the internet so if you could help me out I would appreciate it.

To get a screen shot of whatever's on your screen at any time, just hit the "Print Screen" key on your keyboard, open up Microsoft Paint, and press Ctrl + V. Save as a .JPG and attach it to your post here. :)

oddler
05-26-2006, 04:05 PM

I hope that works. Haha... Thanks, Rase.

KentaRawr!
05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Hmm... it didn't seem to work. Remember to click the "Manage Attachments" button which is near the bottom of the posting page while making a post. :O

oddler
05-28-2006, 11:43 PM

oddler
06-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Same stuff, same stuff. Every session, getting closer to the demo. Patience is a virtue I suppose.

Skills 99 / 900
Items 479 / 1000
Enemies 56 / 500
Areas 10 / 79
Sidequests 6 / 64

Total Progress: 18.43% :(

One more area down, tons to go... I'm waking up early tomorrow to put in a little more time on the project. Hopefully, I'll get another map and all the items and enemies for that one done then. Til' next week! :)

oddler
06-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Sorry I didn't update on schedule but my ISP server's been acting stupid the past two days. Blah. I'm now working through the last two areas of the demo version and I plan to have them done in the next week or two. After that it's just story, story, story, and I have a playable demo. Can't wait.

Skills 113 / 900
Items 497 / 1000
Enemies 65 / 500
Areas 10 / 79
Sidequests 6 / 64

Total Progress: 19.46% :(

And here are a couple more screenshots.

oddler
06-15-2006, 05:29 AM
Oh yes. I'm nearing completion of the demo game for Hero Spirits now. All that's left is putting the finishing touches on the third and final "city" of the demo and adding story elements and events. All "dungeon" areas are complete and all the necessary items have been created. Monster encounters and difficulties have been tweaked, also. I should be ready to launch it the first week of July. Joy!

Skills 138 / 900
Items 509 / 1000
Enemies 74 / 500
Areas 12 / 79
Sidequests 6 / 64

Total Progress: 21.12% :)

More screenshots.

Psychotic
06-15-2006, 05:39 AM
It's looking promising. Keep up the good work, oddler, and I'll be sure to play that demo when it's released. (Ask Rase on how true I am to my word with that sort of thing :p)

oddler
06-15-2006, 06:30 AM
It's looking promising. Keep up the good work, oddler, and I'll be sure to play that demo when it's released. (Ask Rase on how true I am to my word with that sort of thing :p)

Thanks for the motivation. Yeah, I've played his, too. I hope he releases an updated version soon. ;)

oddler
06-22-2006, 04:19 AM
Well, within the matter of a day after the last post, I finished both the areas that I was missing and completed the final "city" of the demo. All enemies, skills, and the like should be set in stone but now comes the task of trying to insert the storyline into the frame of the game.

Skills 138 / 900
Items 510 / 1000
Enemies 74 / 500
Areas 13 / 79
Sidequests 6 / 64

Total Progress: 21.39% :)

I'm also in the middle of adding some more sidequests to the demo. After playing through the game myself, I have found that it takes approximately 9 hours to find every item and complete the entire demo version along with the current sidequests. So, more screenshots.

oddler
06-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Well, this week was utterly unproductive. All townspeople have been added but no major events were knocked out. I consider that a bad thing since there are about 30 that I need to go through. Sorry for my bumness.

Storyline Events 0 / 30

Argh to say the least...

Emerald weapon
06-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Keep at it oddler this rpg looks really good!i cant wait to play it

oddler
07-05-2006, 07:11 PM
This week was a well-needed boost of confidence I might say. I'm almost finished with the story from the first "city" and I have barely worked on the game all week. That said, it looks hopeful to have the finished demo ready by about next week or the week after. The anticipation is killing me and I'll be slaving over this thing this upcoming week.

Storyline Events 5 / 30

I'll post some screenshots of the events I've added after I get off work.

Captain Maxx Power
07-05-2006, 09:48 PM

oddler
07-06-2006, 06:17 AM

Ye all of little faith... and stuff.

As previously stated, screenshots.

oddler
07-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Nothing much to say here. I'll just add some more screenshots and try to get this finished by next week.

Storyline Events 14 / 31

Rengori
07-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Looks promising.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
07-13-2006, 12:03 AM
Sounds like itīs going somewhere i want to give it a go when you finish...
Itīs not a supposed to be game like the one a certain person is dreaming about:rolleyes2

oddler
07-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Looks promising.

Truth. It will be as I promised. ;)

Sounds like itīs going somewhere i want to give it a go when you finish...

Well how about I just give you guys a little bit about where it's going. This is sort of a basic storyline for the game:

Four young adventurers are brought to an island by unknown means. Through their journey, they find that the island to which they are brought is an extremely important place. The king of the island dies and another person takes the throne by force, causing disruption throughout the land. A struggle begins between those who remain loyal to the king and those who back the successor of the throne. These four adventurers agree to help the citizens of the many towns on the island and become entangled in a full-scale war. But beneath the surface of the war something else stirs. Plans are made and actions are taken to bring a cataclysmic presence back to the land. Through their journey, the four that were brought to the island will discover who brought them there, why they were brought, and what lies inside of them that will make them heroes.

So there's a peek into the good stuff. When this is finally finished and the trial is put up for downloads, I hope everyone that plays it thoroughly enjoys it.

oddler
07-19-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm currently finishing up the second town's events and adding a couple interesting side stories as I go. In the end, these should give you a better idea of what's happening in the demo. The town was the hardest part... :mad: Here are some more screenshots, also. Within the next week, this WILL be done. :D (Somebody cross my fingers for me...)

Storyline Events 20/33

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
07-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Will you use Eoff members names or use names you thought to yourself?
How many playable characters can there be?

oddler
07-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Will you use Eoff members names or use names you thought to yourself?
How many playable characters can there be?

All names are original and it is pure coincidence if they have been used beforehand. No EoFF influences have yet been put into the game but I have a strong feeling that eventually they will be. They will probably not be names for characters or plot-changing substances but more like hidden weapons/techniques/NPCs. By the way, a special thanks goes out to everyone from these forums that has supported this in any way. :love:

As for now there are only four playable characters. I do plan, however, to add more throughout the game but they will not be major characters and the player's party will continually revert to these main four. Only the first four will be playable in the demo version.

KoShiatar
07-26-2006, 09:50 AM
It looks really nice, and I like the dualogues. Maybe you should consider gettin some custom sprites made from somewhere for the main characters....

oddler
07-26-2006, 01:28 PM
It looks really nice, and I like the dualogues. Maybe you should consider gettin some custom sprites made from somewhere for the main characters....

Thanks for the support and the compliment. I thought long about what I was going to do for the game and didn't really decide until I had already started on a lot of it. Now that I have so much done, I really don't see myself going back and inserting new graphics for characters or other items. Plus, this project is taking long enough without adding anything extra as far as graphics, music, and what-have-you. I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

oddler
07-26-2006, 04:17 PM
GRRR... I only missed it by a few events. Still putting the finishing touches on the last couple storyline details. By next Wednesday, I should have a link posted for the download of the trial version. Here's a couple more screenshots of what I got completed this week.

Storyline Events 30 / 35

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
07-26-2006, 05:00 PM
It seems to be going rather well;)

Angi-Kaiser
07-26-2006, 05:09 PM
This looks really interesting. Good luck!

oddler
07-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the support.

Here are a few characters that will be critical to the developement of the storyline:

Tevyn, Aerilus, Fia, Liti - The four adventurers brought to a mysterious island
Grianne - Supposed "guide" of the four adventurers with a hidden past
Olvus - A venerable sage who holds the truth to what's happening on the island.
Lotte - A wizard of Uruli that takes commands from a Master named Nelu. Works against the adventurers.
Kyramea - The newly appointed leader of the kingdom. Reforms the government to become an empire.
Vokai - Right hand man of Kyramea's special forces.
Arlyn - A man fleeing the hands of the empire. Also heads up a resistance movement against the new empress.

KoShiatar
07-27-2006, 02:35 AM

Thanks for the support and the compliment. I thought long about what I was going to do for the game and didn't really decide until I had already started on a lot of it. Now that I have so much done, I really don't see myself going back and inserting new graphics for characters or other items. Plus, this project is taking long enough without adding anything extra as far as graphics, music, and what-have-you. I'm sorry if that disappoints you.

No problem. But I think that if you wanted to change a sprite, from what I remember about RPG Maker, you would just have to change it with another with the same name in the game graphics folder, right? Anyway, it was just to know.

oddler
08-03-2006, 04:53 AM
Can you say "finally?"

The demo version of Hero Spirits is complete and will be up in a few days at most. I'm waiting on my supportive pal Rase to get back in town so he can make it ready for downloading. Three cheers for him! I must say that this is extremely exciting and I can't wait to hear back from everyone who plays the game. Be sure to leave your comments, suggestions, criticisms, jokes, praises, and insults in this thread and let me know what you think when it gets up and ready.

Total available gameplay time is at least nine hours or so, depending on how many sidequests you do and so forth. The storyline will give you a good outlook on the main characters and the plot path. Yes, some of it will most likely be considered cliche but I am very proud of the outcome of this project. I strongly suggest that you try it out and tell others if you find it enjoyable. Thanks to anyone who has checked up on this and been patient for the past five months. :D

I'll update again as soon as I get word that the file is downloadable. Peace.

KoShiatar
08-03-2006, 05:02 PM
When the demo version comes, I'll take a look at it.

KentaRawr!
08-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Yay! Demo! :D

Shauna
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
This looks interesting! I hope you get the demo out soon! =D

oddler
08-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Attention:

Here is the link to download the demo.

http://www.freewebs.com/raseaudio/Hero_Spirits_Demo.zip

In order to download it properly, you may have to right click on it and save target as...

Let me know what you guys think.

Old Manus
08-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Woah, I was looking forward to buying you that drink.

KoShiatar
08-06-2006, 02:36 PM
For some reason, I keep on downloading a corrupted file. Please fix this, I'm looking forward to play your game.

Edit: I solved the issue by downloading the file with ExploDer.

Second edit: I cannot download RPG Maker XP to play this...bandwith limit exceeded.. é_č

oddler
08-07-2006, 04:03 AM
Download RPG Maker Postality Knights Edition Enhanced here. (http://www.crankeye.com/files/RPG%20Maker%20XP%20v1.01%20-%20Postality%20Knights%20Edition%20v2.0%20ENHANCED.zip)

Try downloading the RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition Enhanced from the link above to play the demo. Also, here is the list of steps from downloading to playing that you'll need to follow:

1. Download the files and extract them using WinZip.
2. Install Rpg Maker XP Postality Knights Edition Enhanced
3. Cut/Copy the Hero Spirits folder from wherever you put it.
4. Go to your C: Drive and click Games.
5. Click the only folder in there.
6. Click the Games folder.
7. Paste the Hero Spirits folder in the Games folder.
8. Open the folder and click the Game icon.

Let me know if you're still having trouble after using these guidelines. :)

Rengori
08-07-2006, 04:11 AM
Bandwidth's exceeded, unable to download.

Rase
08-07-2006, 06:45 AM
Well, since it's mainly my fault for the false jump on this thing (I didn't notice Freewebs' pathetic bandwidth), I decided I may as well post a useable link. So, here (http://sparelimited.com/rase/Hero_Spirits_Demo.zip) it is. Thanks goes to Azar for agreeing to host this also, and congrats go to oddler for going through with this. :)

oddler
08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Rase, again, you are the man. Thank you for all the help you've dished out and thanks to Azar, also.

Please post if anyone is still having problems getting any of the files to download or run properly.

Rengori
08-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Wow, that's really cool.

KoShiatar
08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I suppose I'l have to wait to play it until I can grab a copy of RPG Maker.

oddler
08-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't think you actually need a copy of RPG Maker to play the game. You should be able to use Postality Knights as a player for it. If you can't download that from the links above, then we'll have to try something else. Don't give up so soon. I'm looking into this.

Shauna
08-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Dude, this seems to be awesome so far! =D

oddler
08-08-2006, 12:35 AM
I'm glad that those of you that can play it are enjoying it. How far have you advanced so far? What things are good and what things are lacking? Is the dialogue up to par? Are the battles balanced well enough? Any kind of feedback will help so bring it on.

Rase
08-08-2006, 04:56 AM
For those who need the RPG Maker XP Postality Knights version, try this (http://sparelimited.com/rase/RPG%20Maker%20XP%20v1.01%20-%20Postality%20Knights%20Edition%20v2.0%20ENHANCED.zip).

oddler
08-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Rase to the rescue! Thanks again for all the never-ending help, man. Now that we have working links for both the game file and the player, anyone should be able to download them.

Does anyone have any thoughts yet? Are the characters and their interactions enjoyable? Any comments on character developement? Thoughts on villains or side NPCs? Sidequest feedback? Etc. Etc. Etc.

KoShiatar
08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
Rase saved my life. <3
Well, not really, but you know what I mean.

oddler
08-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Onward! More areas have been added to the game including the River and Cove maps. Respective enemies and equipment additions will also be created soon. The ending event from the demo version has been edited for use in the final version of the game. Also, new high-profile sidequests have been added to unveil more information regarding specific parts of the storyline. Just because I finish a demo doesn't mean that I stop working... :D

If anyone has started playing the demo, leave some suggestions or critiques here. I need some information regarding the playability of the game so I can make changes if necessary. No one likes a game with umpteen flaws.

I'll add some screenshots and things in a bit.

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
08-10-2006, 06:12 PM
I have just one question you see i dowloaded Postality knights edition and started messing with it just for pure fun and i want to know how you can edit a character because he was creating characters and stuff but i donīt know how to create their image:( Can you tell me how you did it Oddler?

Cloudstrife4003
08-10-2006, 11:33 PM
I can't get it to work..it says RSLd221234 could not be found...what does that mean?

oddler
08-11-2006, 12:43 AM
"I have just one question you see i dowloaded Postality knights edition and started messing with it just for pure fun and i want to know how you can edit a character because he was creating characters and stuff but i donīt know how to create their image Can you tell me how you did it Oddler?"

I'm not sure if you can use RPG Maker Postality Knights Edition to actually do any editing. As far as I know, it's only a player for RPG Maker XP games. Just to make this clear, I am by no means an expert with this program as I just recently started using it about six months ago. I'm probably not the best person to ask about this. :p If, indeed, you can edit using the Postality Knights Edition, all you do is click on Database, click on the Actors tab at the top, and everything from there should be pretty intuitive.

Also, I'm not sure what that error message means. Let me look into that one and see what I can find.

Rase
08-11-2006, 01:52 AM
I can't get it to work..it says RSLd221234 could not be found...what does that mean?
Would it be possible for you to get a screenshot of said error message?

Cloudstrife4003
08-11-2006, 01:53 AM
Would it be possible for you to get a screenshot of said error message?
How do u do that?

Rase
08-11-2006, 02:00 AM
When the error message pops up, press the Print Screen key (to the right of the F12 key). Open up Paint and go Edit > Paste. Save this file as a .jpg. When you post a reply in this thread, click Add Reply rather then using the Quick Reply box, then scroll down. There should be a button that says "Manage Attachments". "Browse" for the file, then click it and click "Upload". It should attach to your post. :)

Cloudstrife4003
08-11-2006, 02:09 AM
It won't let me do that...it shows a black screen and then it says the error message...I dunno what happend...I followed all the steps too....

Sylvie
08-11-2006, 02:21 AM
Why would you need a printer?

Cloudstrife4003
08-11-2006, 02:31 AM
When i copy and paste the hero spirits folder in the game folder,do i just combine it with rpgmaker? or do u just leave it in the games folder? and which icon do i click if i am right? the rpg maker one or the hero spirits one?

Rase
08-11-2006, 03:20 AM
Since I'm lazy, I'll Copy & Paste the relevant steps I included for my RPG. Anywhere it says EoFF v2.0 or v2.1, just pretend it says "Hero Spirits Demo". :)

Steps:
NOTE: The screens shown here were from EoFF v2.0. Everything is the same now, just the folder will be EoFF v2.1, and so on.
3. Cut/Copy the EoFF v2.1 folder from wherever you put it.
4. Go to your C: Drive (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/RyanStage/RPG%20Maker/1.jpg) and click Games.
5. Click the only folder in there (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/RyanStage/RPG%20Maker/2.jpg).
6. Click the Games folder (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/RyanStage/RPG%20Maker/3.jpg).
7. Paste the EoFF v2.1 folder in the Games folder, like so (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/RyanStage/RPG%20Maker/4.jpg).
8. Open the folder and click the Game icon (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/RyanStage/RPG%20Maker/5.jpg).

Also, could you do a system search of your C: drive for "RGSS102E.dll" and let me know what you come up with?

Cloudstrife4003
08-11-2006, 03:33 AM
AIYYAAA!!! still says the error message...

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Just one question Oddler in this version there are a list of character images from which you can choose right?How did you change the fighter 1 image with another fighters image?And i canīt seem to add civilians to the map do i have to add them somewhere else?

oddler
08-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Just one question Oddler in this version there are a list of character images from which you can choose right?How did you change the fighter 1 image with another fighters image?And i canīt seem to add civilians to the map do i have to add them somewhere else?

Yes, there is a preset list of graphics used for all events, characters or not. Changing the actor (player) graphic is done on the Actors tab in the Database. Adding civilian graphics is done by adding events to the event layer on each map. Add an event then change that event's graphic by editing the event. Hope this helps.

Skills 141 / 900
Items 530 / 1000
Monsters 84 / 500
Areas 14 / 79
Sidequests 9 / 64

Total Progress: 23.45% :)

And here are a few more images as promised:

MageLuingil
08-11-2006, 05:14 PM
This is looking great so far. I'll be sure to play your demo when I get some free time and let you know what I think. Good job on all your work so far. :)

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
08-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the help Oddler iīm currently trying to create events:D

Rengori
08-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I take it you're making the skill animations yourself?

oddler
08-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Only very few of the animations am I making myself. Also, of the ones I am making, they are mostly two pre-existing animations merged. :) No, Ren my friend, I'm not as skilled as some. :p

Cloudstrife4003
08-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Are you gonna make a fullscreen mode?

Rengori
08-11-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can toggle that with F4.

KoShiatar
08-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Alt+enter will toggle Fullscreen mode. But I prefer it in windowed mode because you can see the actual pixels.

oddler
08-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Alt+enter will toggle Fullscreen mode. But I prefer it in windowed mode because you can see the actual pixels.

My sentiments exactly.

So how's the testing going? Any complaints? :p

Cloudstrife4003
08-12-2006, 11:54 PM
I got it to work!! it's awesome...Though..it's hard to lvl up..

oddler
08-13-2006, 04:38 AM

I'm glad you got the file to work.

As for the leveling, it was meant to be slightly difficult for the following reasons:

1) It doesn't follow the typical level curve like most games where you gain a ton of levels in the beginning and then start slowing down later. You will spend roughly the same amount of time leveling in the beginning as you do in the middle and the end.
2) It makes becoming overpowered early in the game less likely. I feel there should always be a challenge to the game and being able to beat the final boss less than halfway through the adventure seems a little boring to me.
3) If you take advantage of the extras in the game like sidequests and searching the maps for treasures, most of your level grinding will be done as a result of those. Leveling is more of a byproduct of unraveling the storyline and the secrets of the game.

Cloudstrife4003
08-13-2006, 02:48 PM

I'm glad you got the file to work.

As for the leveling, it was meant to be slightly difficult for the following reasons:

1) It doesn't follow the typical level curve like most games where you gain a ton of levels in the beginning and then start slowing down later. You will spend roughly the same amount of time leveling in the beginning as you do in the middle and the end.
2) It makes becoming overpowered early in the game less likely. I feel there should always be a challenge to the game and being able to beat the final boss less than halfway through the adventure seems a little boring to me.
3) If you take advantage of the extras in the game like sidequests and searching the maps for treasures, most of your level grinding will be done as a result of those. Leveling is more of a byproduct of unraveling the storyline and the secrets of the game.

HM.Cool...Maybe once u r done with it u can...sell it? to people?

oddler
08-13-2006, 04:34 PM
I don't think that's likely. I would rather do this for enjoyment than for profit. Also, it's a very realistic scenario that someone out there may download the game and alter it to their own liking. That doesn't hurt my feelings at all. At least they're using my ideas. :)

Cloudstrife4003
08-13-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't think that's likely. I would rather do this for enjoyment than for profit. Also, it's a very realistic scenario that someone out there may download the game and alter it to their own liking. That doesn't hurt my feelings at all. At least they're using my ideas. :)
Hmmm...I love the game...I'm at where u have to go to the kobold's base...So far only one of my characters have died...anyway..I love the game..I wanna play the full version once it is done^_^:D

KoShiatar
08-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Yes, I only tried a small part of it so far, but it looks all right. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

oddler
08-14-2006, 04:09 AM
Hmmm...I love the game...I'm at where u have to go to the kobold's base...So far only one of my characters have died...anyway..I love the game..I wanna play the full version once it is done^_^:D

Thank you. Don't get discouraged if you don't get past that part on the first try. Through my many test runs, I've found that the boss of Rhodys Hill is probably the hardest part in the demo. ;) As for the full version... It'll be a long time in the making. :cry:

Yes, I only tried a small part of it so far, but it looks all right. I'll let you know if I have any problems.

Awesome. Any details specifically that you like or don't like? Thanks for the feedback, too. :up:

Cloudstrife4003
08-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Thank you. Don't get discouraged if you don't get past that part on the first try. Through my many test runs, I've found that the boss of Rhodys Hill is probably the hardest part in the demo. ;) As for the full version... It'll be a long time in the making. :cry:

Awesome. Any details specifically that you like or don't like? Thanks for the feedback, too. :up:

Oh dude...On the first mission where u have to go to get the root which the kobolds hate,there is a patch of a gate where u can pass though,just thought u wanted to know...just thought u wanted to know...it might be bug or something...I'll see which place it's at,ok?

oddler
08-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Hmmm... I'll look into that ASAP... Oops. :eek:

I've checked every spot in the Orchard and I can't seem to find what you're talking about. Can you post a screenshot of where you're able to slip through?

Cloudstrife4003
08-15-2006, 06:22 PM
HMMMM...it might be just my comp or something...srry about that..

oddler
08-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Well, I didn't get to do much this week. I've added some items and put in some new enemies but, other than that, it's been a pretty slow crawl over the past seven days.

Skills 150 / 900
Items 532 / 1000
Monsters 99 / 500
Areas 14 / 79
Sidequests 9 / 64

Total Progress: 24.29% :)

I'll try to put up some more screenshots when I get another area finished. :rolleyes2 Peace.

oddler
08-25-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, practically nothing happened the past week. Like a huge amount of other EoFFers, I started that whole deal with the education and whatnot recently. Must try harder, must try harder. :eep:

Skills 150 / 900
Items 532 / 1000
Monsters 100 / 500
Areas 14 / 79
Sidequests 9 / 64

Total Progress: 24.33% :)

Every little bit helps, right? Does anyone else have any opinions on the demo version yet?

Slicksword45
09-10-2006, 04:02 AM
I would but i'm getting the same error messege that the other guy got. how did he fix it I wonder....

oddler
10-29-2006, 01:52 AM
I think Cloudstrife4003 just followed the instructions that Rase posted to get it to work. Also, make sure that you're downloading the game and the player from the correct links. The game is linked in post #49 and the player is linked in post #56.

Now that I've taken a reasonable hiatus from this project to prevent an inevitable burnout, I'm back in the saddle. I will start updating weekly again starting next Wednesday probably.

EoFF references will make their way into the game soon enough so check back and I'll post screenshots of them. :)

oddler
11-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Not an uber update but it's as good as I could do, being absorbed with FFXI and all. Added more skills, weapons, armor, and enemies as usual and tweaked some of the events from the demo. Also, I've found a couple switch problems after playing through it again. :eek:

Skills 155 / 900
Items 540 / 1000
Monsters 103 / 500
Areas 14 / 79
Sidequests 9 / 64

Total Progress: 24.72% :)

If anyone has any ideas for little things to put into the game, feel free to let me know. I'll do what I can but I can't promise anything.

The Unknown Guru
11-09-2006, 03:49 AM
This looks like it's gonna be awesome. Can't wait until it's done :)

By the way, where did you get the program to create this? I've always been interested in creating my own RPG.

oddler
11-09-2006, 04:47 AM
This looks like it's gonna be awesome. Can't wait until it's done :)

By the way, where did you get the program to create this? I've always been interested in creating my own RPG.

Thank you. :D

The program is called RPG Maker XP and I downloaded the trial version from Download.com. The legal full version costs $60 US (which I also paid :p ).

oddler
11-15-2006, 11:08 PM
A couple minor things were fixed again this week including problems where some weather effects would continue to run in towns or inside "dungeons". Some random drop percentages were also increased for rare fame items.

Skills 156 / 900
Items 544 / 1000
Monsters 105 / 500
Areas 14 / 79
Sidequests 9 / 64

Total Progress: 24.90% :)

I have plans to include two members of EoFF so far in this project. As soon as they materialize, I'll be sure to post screenshots of them in action. :p

Rinöa
11-16-2006, 01:35 AM
When I try to play the game it says "RG55102E.dll could not found." I followed all the directions. :sad:

oddler
11-16-2006, 05:11 AM
When I try to play the game it says "RG55102E.dll could not found." I followed all the directions. :sad:

It seems a lot of people are having a little trouble with the game. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the differences in our computers or something else. :( Another member tried to download the things from other links within this thread and it worked for him. Maybe you can try that. :confused: I'm sorry.

Goldenboko
12-31-2006, 07:01 AM

It seems a lot of people are having a little trouble with the game. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the differences in our computers or something else. :( Another member tried to download the things from other links within this thread and it worked for him. Maybe you can try that. :confused: I'm sorry.

Here's a very good link to a descripition of how to destribute games to people who don't have RPG Maker XP

http://www.dubealex.com/asylum/index.php?showtopic=1303

Grendal
02-09-2007, 01:42 PM
Spam my comment box, will you? :p

To return the favor...

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/615/untitledgy5.th.png (http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledgy5.png)

This is a project I'm working on: "Lost Legends: The Promised Land"

As you can see, I hate the default resources. Unlike some people who insist on using them to death. ;)

oddler
02-12-2007, 03:20 AM
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/615/untitledgy5.th.png (http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledgy5.png)

This is a project I'm working on: "Lost Legends: The Promised Land"

As you can see, I hate the default resources. Unlike some people who insist on using them to death. ;)

Very nice. Do you have a site somewhere that it's hosted? Maybe a download I can check out?
And oh, about the default settings: :choc2: .

Well, I've got this thing kicking again after taking quite an extensive breather. I started working on the next areas and I'm going to try and go back to the earlier maps and add some interesting puzzles to add to their depth.

Skills 176 / 900
Items 554 / 1000
Monsters 105 / 500
Areas 16 / 79
Sidequests 9 / 64

Total Progress: 26.05% :)

I'll be right back with something quite hilarious. *goes to make screenshot

Edit: Okay.

oddler
02-19-2007, 03:54 AM
With this update, I've started messing around with scripts. I've added a new Active Time Battle system and changed the fonts and menus a little. Also, another area was added along with new enemies and skills for the characters as well as new opportunities for "fame" increases.

Skills 179 / 900
Items 563 / 1000
Monsters 107 / 500
Areas 17 / 79
Sidequests 9 / 64

Total Progress: 26.63 % :)

I don't have any screenshots available for this update because I'm still in the process of testing and tweaking the battle system. Congratulations to Psychotic for finally getting this sucker to work, too. :p

oddler
09-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Who likes reeking corpses? Not I. Let's fix this one up, shall we?

Through much mocking and constant reminders of deadlines ( :rolleyes2 ) I was able to birth the second chapter of Hero Spirits. So this post is to let anyone who played the first part and/or for those who didn't and are interested. Different battle system, customized windowskin, over 20 hours of "yay play time" as well as some real revelations as to what the hell is going on in the story. The following is a work completed by none other than P. Paul Psychotic that houses this lovely game I've created. Say, "What is up?" to the Hero Spirits webpage.

Hero Spirits (http://sparelimited.com/psy/herospirits.html)

If you need the stuff to run RMXP games, click the first link. The game is downloadable from the second link. And, to continue with the theme of this ancient thread and because I am SO dork, it's time to update:

Skills 230 / 900
Items 609 / 1000
Monsters 133 / 500
Areas 21 / 79
Sidequests 10 / 64

Total Progress: 31.06% :p

Like I've said before, don't expect anything too special and mind-blowing. This is just to keep me busy and to pump up my ego by saying that I made this game. I still have a long way to go but I'm setting goals for myself for each chapter now. Hopefully, that'll keep me kicking. Oh! Yes, yes... There are EoFF members in this one and there will be many more as more areas open up. Already got it worked out in the noggin.

Many thank yous to anyone who has helped, played, or offered suggestions. :love:

KoShiatar
09-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm glad this is going on because the plotline looked interesting.