PDA

View Full Version : Smoothview.EXE

NeoCracker
04-22-2006, 08:18 AM
For some reason when I start up my Laptop now this Smoothveiw.exe application is running and it takes 99% CPU usage. I can just end the application and my comp goes back to normal, but it comes up everytime i turn on my computer. I ran a search on that name but found nothing, so can someone tell me what this application is and how I can stop its CPU suckage?

Samuraid
04-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Open the windows registry editor by selecting Start -> Run and running "regedit"

In the registry tree on the left, browse to: HKEY Local Machine / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Run

In the list on the right, you may see an entry for Smoothview.exe
If you are careful, you can select that line and delete it, which should stop the program from starting when windows starts up.

NeoCracker
04-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Thnx, but what exactly is that file? Its a little weird that it ended up on my comp.

Samuraid
04-22-2006, 10:51 AM
SmoothView.exe is a process that belongs to the Zooming Utility from TOSHIBA. It is used to offer Zoom functionality in common application such as MS-Office. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference.
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/SmoothView/

Looks like it's perfectly ok to keep it disabled. :)

Mirage
04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
You can also use msconfig to disable startup items. You can disable registry entries as well as startup items and services there. It might be a bit more user friendly than the registry editor.

crono_logical
04-22-2006, 02:21 PM
I prefer using Autoruns (http://sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html) to view/disable startup items, since it gives you much more detail too whilst still being as simple as unticking a box to disable something :p Better than deleting the line too (although you can do that in Autoruns if you want), since you can re-enable it again if you decide you want something back :p Just be careful if it's a Microsoft-signed item you disable - you could cripple the system :D