PDA

View Full Version : My rant about Square-Enix

Richnbowl
04-23-2006, 12:53 PM
I am going to give a brief history of myself then go into my rant about Square-Enix

I have been a huge fan of Square and Enix; I would like to say since the beginning, hell I still own Rad Racer for the NES from when it originally came out. My first game I ever bought with my money was Secret of Mana, for the SNES, when I was 11 years-old. I loved the game at 11 and from there some friends introduced me to Final Fantasy III for the SNES, really Final Fantasy VI. Lets just say since then it has been a down hill ride for RPG’s. I try to get my hands on any RPG that someone recommends or that I come across with a good review. Then there is the name. Yes, I buy every game Square-Enix comes out with. That is just me, even though I am getting disappointed with the newer games that have come out, but I must say I love Dragon Quest VIII. I will say my love for RPG’s will always be set in the 8, 16 and 32 bit systems. I could careless for the graphics but love the stories. If you ever want to know an opinion about a game I would enjoy stating my opinion and I hope you would do the same.

Ok now my rant.

I have been trying to fill the rest of my library of games. My Final Fantasy collection is almost complete but I am missing a vital part. Let us see, can we say Final Fantasy III. Yes, of course I have played it with en emulator, but where is the actual game? I would love to play it in Japanese but currently I can not read, write or speak the language and really I have no time to learn it. Hell I own Final Fantasy three F-ing times, NES, PSX, and GBA. Does anyone see where I am going with this? What is with the issue about coming out with this game? I have even written Square about it but all they have said is that they cannot take ideas from people and I should work for a gaming company. Most of the games I enjoy are made in Japan. Little bit of a problem, sorry would love to visit, but not my cup of tea on terms of living.

Ok let us investigate further.

Now one of my all time favorite games Secret of Mana. Now it seems that every game for the NES and SNES has been remade for the PSX or the GBA. ??? Now I am wondering where is Secret of Mana for the SNES. Hell where are the first two Mana games? I love to play my SNES but try not to so that I can still use it for years to come. I will even go further in saying why has Nintendo not made a Super Mario RPG for the GBA? Why has Square-Enix not come out with Dragon Warrior IV for anything? Hell Enix even put an ad in Dragon Warrior VII that it was coming out in 2002. Now I know that the gaming industry is a business but come on. They act like these games would not sell. I have been trying to buy back the Dragon Warrior series for the NES. Dragon Warrior IV alone was going for $80 on eBay. Ouch, talk about a little dent in the pocket. So where are these games for the current systems? Like I said before I do not have time to learn Japanese. So maybe people can help me out here. Maybe propose to Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft to come out with a few of these classics. Some of the games, at least the ones that I can think of at this moment in time, that I believe should come out are Mana series 1 and 2, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, Dragon Warrior IV, V, and VI and a few more that have slipped my mind at this time.

So now to end this, why does the American market have to differ so much from the Japanese market? Do the companies not believe that Americans would buy some of the RPG’s that were only released in Japan? Maybe I am just a die hard RPG fan or do some people have the same opinions? I guess for the time being I should really ask, does anyone own a copy of Learn Japanese in 3 easy steps or something similar? I would purchase it for a good price because god only knows when Square-Enix and other companies will release/re-release some great RPG titles.

You are more then welcome to voice your own opinion or comment on mine. That is all I have time for right now, enjoy and hopefully we will prevail in the future.
:tonberry:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-23-2006, 01:16 PM
I have been trying to fill the rest of my library of games. My Final Fantasy is almost complete but I am missing a vital part. Let us see, can we say Final Fantasy III.Final Fantasy III is being completely remade for the Nintendo DS; this news has been out for over a year now. It will be released in Japan this summer, and it'll definitely be coming to America.

As for your complaint that they're not making enough ports of old games, bear in mind that the Nintendo Revolution's "virtual console" aspect will allow you to download and play old NES and SNES games. Nintendo's president, Satoru Iwata, has declared that the virtual console will be the iTunes of video games, which means you can count on it being highly inclusive.

Richnbowl
04-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Yes, I was looking up more stuff and ran into the fact that Final Fantasy III will be out for the DS in Japan. I noticed that the Japanese website has finally been made but only a video plays for it. Again, we will have to wait and see if it comes out here. That of course is a different story totally, even if it is said that it will come out here. An easy way to put things into perspective is that Enix started to translate the newly released Dragon Warrior IV and gave it a release year, but nothing ever came of it, money wasted, have to love it.

Now, where the Revolution is concerned. I love the fact that Nintendo has stated that you are going to have the ability to play old games on the system, I cannot wait. But I have a problem with them saying that. Granted I love Nintendo out of all of the system makers, of course the CD-i Zelda's were indescribably bad, but Nintendo likes to talk a lot of BS. Maybe it is them always being so closed lipped about things but they themselves have no idea how they are going to market these games. Then again how long are you going to be able to store these games also? I will need a few hard drives of space in order to store the games I would like. Remember Nintendo stated that they were going to release a disk system for the N64, they did in Japan. I remember them stating that they were going to introduce a disk system for the NES, they did in Japan. They even stated they were going to have the ability to play stuff over cable/satellite for the SNES, they did in Japan. Hell even the Sega did it for the Genesis, it kind of sucked, but made me a fan, for a little while, of the system.

Like I said I love Nintendo. If you do not believe me, I own and still play my NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy SP, DS and a DS lite, so recommend buying one if you have the money. Hell I am currently trying to buy the Famicoms, even with the large price tags that some place on them. What Nintendo says, of course when they say things, you have to take with a grain of salt. Have to love them, but they can so drive you mad sometimes.

Still thank you for the comment.

XxSephirothxX
04-23-2006, 04:41 PM
The Revolution will feature 512 MB of Internal Memory, I believe, which is enough to hold a significant portion of the Super Nintendo's library. NES files will be even smaller, of course. Now, certainly all of Nintendo's first party titles will be available, but we don't really know about third party games yet. Sega Genesis games and TurboGraphix 16 games will be available too, and it'll be easy to buy extra flash memory to store more game files. Considering the projected low price of the system, it's a pretty good deal. Hopefully the "iTunes of videogames" will work out as well as they think.

As for FFIII DS, I think it's a pretty safe bet it'll be coming out in the States. After all, FFI&II Advance and FFIV Advance both came out over here, and I think one or both of them even debuted here before it hit Japan. FFIII DS might take longer to get here, but I think it'll show up within the next year, year and a half.

Zeromus_X
04-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Not to mention FFV/VI Advance, which they'd have to be crazy not to release outside of Japan. :cat:

Necronopticous
04-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Final Fantasy III DS, Final Fantasy V Advance, and Final Fantasy VI Advance will all see a U.S. release, It would be ridiculous to doubt that.

Richnbowl
04-23-2006, 08:10 PM
I agree with everyone. It is hard to believe that some of these games will never come out for the Advance or DS. I hope more games come out for the DS. It was more of a statement on why has Square not brought out more games to America in a suitable fashion. Why are we waiting for years to have to complete a series when the missing link was made in 1990, only 16 years late? As for the Revolution. I am not sure where you pulled up that it will have 512mb of internal memory, but I will take your word for it. The fact that you can hook up flash drives is a plus, because I will need a lot of room. Then again we might only get the first party titles and only a few of the third party titles. Now further on, the point was to state that games have not been introduced to America. Like I said the Mana series 1 and 2. This is just an example. Hell even a lot of the Dragon Warrior games have not come out in America. Your right I might be able to play Dragon Warrior 1-4, 7 and 8 but still who is going to fill in 5 and 6?? Does anyone else see a problem with this? Do not focus so much on Final Fantasy III. I have played a translated version of the game. It is the mere fact that we will never get some of the great RPG's that have only come out in Japan.

To further go on with the Revolution. I am a huge fan of the Zelda series. Again I have everyone that has ever come out. But I will place a bet with anyone that Nintendo will not release the 2 CD-I games for the Revolution. If you ever get the chance to play them I highly recommend it, lets just say you will watch the opening scenes play for about a minute and wish to god you never knew about the game in your life. Again this is an example of some games that I do not care to come out here, even though they already have but to further bring fourth the idea that there are excellent games that have come out that will never be introduced to America.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Hell even a lot of the Dragon Warrior games have not come out in America. Your right I might be able to play Dragon Warrior 1-4, 7 and 8 but still who is going to fill in 5 and 6?? Does anyone else see a problem with this? Do not focus so much on Final Fantasy III. I have played a translated version of the game.And you can just as easily play translated versions of Dragon Quest V and VI.
But I will place a bet with anyone that Nintendo will not release the 2 CD-I games for the Revolution.Considering the virtual console is only slated to support the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and NEC consoles, I don't think anyone's going to bet against you.

DJZen
04-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Dragon Warrior IV's PS1 remake was cancelled because... Well... I'll let Justin Lucas answer that:

You knew this question was coming. Dragon Warrior IV. For those who still don't know, what happened, development-wise?

If you don’t know the story you must be living under a rock! Hahahah! I think from the time we announced the cancellation to the time of the merger the message board was FULL of posts calling us liars. If we wanted to lie, I am sure we could have come up with something much more creative than Heartbeat closing up shop wanting to move on. Ask any programmer of any programming language how interested they are in working on someone else’s code. That will give you an idea of what we went through to find a way for us to bring the title to the US.

Please explain to everyone why hiring new programmers wouldn't work.

As I mentioned working on someone else’s code – no matter what language is difficult, add in the fact that DW IV was IMMENSE- Nobody wanted to touch it, it was just too daunting a task – There would be nobody to ask how certain event scripts are handled – how anything is done within the code, Every programmer does tasks differently, and having anyone have to learn what does what on the fly would be daunting to say the least.

Millia Billia
05-01-2006, 04:29 AM
I'm annoyed that an NTSC of the original FFIII isn't being released and likely never will be. I'm not complaining about that remake, but where's the original?

Zeromus_X
05-01-2006, 04:32 AM
Well, you could get a ROM. Or...get the Famicom cartridge off of Ebay, like me.

Getting a Japanese Famicom and sufficient skills in reading Japanese on the other hand...

But yeah, I don't believe they'll just rerelease a NES cartridge at this point. :cat:

DJZen
05-02-2006, 01:20 AM
I'm annoyed that an NTSC of the original FFIII isn't being released and likely never will be. I'm not complaining about that remake, but where's the original?

Nah, FFIII's original release was NTSC ;)

Captain Maxx Power
05-02-2006, 11:34 AM
The Revolution will feature 512 MB of Internal Memory, I believe, which is enough to hold a significant portion of the Super Nintendo's library.

512MB? Man that's pathetic. No offense, but they could easily throw in a Gig or more of memory. I hope they either increase this or allow add-on HDs.

DJZen
05-03-2006, 04:34 AM
Or maybe a *dum dum dum!* media card reader.