PDA

View Full Version : A strange problem

Killy
04-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Recently, my computer has been acting odd, sometimes crashing at different stages of the booting process (Sometimes while still booting the Bios, sometimes during the "Windows is loading" screen. And recently I got this message from the Bios: Overclocking attempt failed, load default values/something else I dont remember. Now since I haven't been overclocking or otherwise tampering with my hardware, this is not normal.

Also, once while browsing, I was directly thrown to my BIOS screen, not like the normal crash/reboot, it was much more direct and showed me the the manufacturer logo screen. It never appeared in the past and now appears everytime I boot.

So what in god's name is happening?

crono_logical
04-23-2006, 10:18 PM
I would check the BIOS chip is seated correctly on the motherboard, and the CMOS battery isn't dead :p

I assume the manufacturer logo screen you see now is the BIOS's default "quiet" boot which got set when you said it loaded default values, hence why you see it on every boot now - I presume what looked like you getting thrown to that was Windows bluescreening, except you had Automatically Reboot so you didn't see the blue screen, it just rebooted, and due to earlier change in settings, it looked like it went straight to that logo. If you're no longer getting the other problems, just seeing this screen, then I'd guess everything's mostly back to normal - you just have to go into the BIOS to disable that screen again :p

Memtest might be a good thing to try too to make sure it's not bad memory that caused the earlier problems :p

Samuraid
04-24-2006, 01:18 AM
Bios: Overclocking attempt failed
In addition to what cl_out suggested, check to see if your BIOS has any automatic overclocking settings enabled, and disable them. In situations where computer stability is an issue, it's a good idea to only run the CPU and RAM at the recommended frequency.

Killy
04-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Thank you, I will try to change the battery and see if it gets any better.