PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this game?

~Auron~
04-24-2006, 02:42 AM
I just finished FFX, and sunk over 100 hours into it. Now I'm ready for FFXII but know that I'll have to wait till November for that, soI need another FFgame:tongue:

I was thinking of X-2, but I know its got a lot of bad reviews and is widely considered as one of the worst FF games yet. The thing is, I really liked the characters from X and want to see what happens to Spira.

Does Square really wreck all that was good in FFX with this game? Or is it worth a playthrough?

Markus. D
04-24-2006, 03:21 AM
thats up to you.

however.... if you are to pay it out on this certain section once you are done playing through it !ALL!... I will be very dissapointed :)

I loved it. :)

LunarWeaver
04-24-2006, 03:35 AM
This is kind of hard to answer...

Personally, I love Spira, Yuna, and Rikku enough that I took the time to get 100% completion and the secret ending and all that. So to me it was worth it.

The battle system is totally reinvented as always and super fast paced... I love the battle system actually, and I got lost for hooours just learning new abilities for all the dress spheres (which are basically jobs). You set dress spheres into a Garment Grid and can change into any you have set during battle with rather spiffy transformations. There are only three characters, so any character can be a Black Mage, White Mage, Gunner, or the like once you find that Dress Sphere. You set an ability to learn and when you have enough AP (1 AP for each enemy killed and 1 AP for each skill used in that dress sphere, such as using Fire in the Black Mage) you learn it. The game returns to the ATB bars so the CTB from FFX is gone. On Active the whole thing is fast and makes you think on your feet, which is always fun. Getting hits close together forms Chains that ups your damage, so there's enough to keep you busy even when you're just mashing attack over and over. The game is mission based, and counts a % completion, and % carries over so there's room to mess up. If you blow over the game only hitting the spots with story missions it will take you only about 20 hours to beat, but doing everything will take a nice amount of length. There's also a nifty New Game + for once that carries over all Gil, Items, Dress Spheres and Garment Grids earned, Abilities, and Accessories (but you restart at level 1). Oh, and the girls all earn levels as normal so no Sphere Grid like progression.

The story isn't very good though. If you're already invested in FFX it will be good to you on a personal level often, such as seeing what has become of many areas in a year's time, but overall it's nothing special. The whole idea here is "Yuna is coming out of her shell", so expect to hear lines like "Oh, poopie!" and "This isn't fun at all! Let's have Yuna sing for us!" It DOES get serious at many parts, but Yuna is trying to be more care-free then before so it's mostly girl-pop-power situation.

Its texture is fluffy and the flavor here is all pink bubblegum. If you can swallow that you will have no problem with the game... If you're mad the serious storyline of other FF's isn't present then you won't make it past the first few hours.

I like the game and don't regret buying it. I would not have spent 50$ dollars on it, but I got mine on Amazon for 15 used and I've sunk over 100 hours into the sucker getting that godforsaken ending. It's cheap now, and it will entertain you. But if you go in with huge expectations you will be let down...

It's mostly just a huge romp through Spira and not much else. If you like Spira as your amusement park and just want an excuse to play in it this game will serve its purpose, but no this will not be anywhere close to your favorite of the series.

CaptRory
04-24-2006, 03:42 AM
Final Fantasy X-2 isn't like every other FF game. It doesn't start off as a serious mission to save the world from one thing or another. It really has its own vibe from the get go. Some people accuse the game of being too girly, keep in mind that the three protagonists are women. It works thematicly. And while some would describe the overall tone as "girly" I'd use lighthearted instead, granted there are serious parts and some bits that are depressing, but overall the game is a breath of fresh air. You also have unprecedented Freedom at the beginning of the game, having access to an airship immediately. Its not a long game, and *IF* the game were stand alone the plot wouldn't be that great. But since it is a continuation those problems are not really problems but just a part of making a short sequel that's purpose is to wrap things up.

Zeromus_X
04-24-2006, 03:43 AM
FFX-2 will not be the rewarding experience FFX was. That's not to say you won't like it, go on and give it a try, but be warned beforehand. :cat:

rubah
04-24-2006, 03:44 AM
If you go into it expecting something lighthearted and fun, you won't be disappointed. If you want a dark atmosphere, you'll have to look hard to find it.

~Auron~
04-24-2006, 04:35 AM
This is kind of hard to answer...

Personally, I love Spira, Yuna, and Rikku enough that I took the time to get 100% completion and the secret ending and all that. So to me it was worth it.

The battle system is totally reinvented as always and super fast paced... I love the battle system actually, and I got lost for hooours just learning new abilities for all the dress spheres (which are basically jobs). You set dress spheres into a Garment Grid and can change into any you have set during battle with rather spiffy transformations. There are only three characters, so any character can be a Black Mage, White Mage, Gunner, or the like once you find that Dress Sphere. You set an ability to learn and when you have enough AP (1 AP for each enemy killed and 1 AP for each skill used in that dress sphere, such as using Fire in the Black Mage) you learn it. The game returns to the ATB bars so the CTB from FFX is gone. On Active the whole thing is fast and makes you think on your feet, which is always fun. Getting hits close together forms Chains that ups your damage, so there's enough to keep you busy even when you're just mashing attack over and over. The game is mission based, and counts a % completion, and % carries over so there's room to mess up. If you blow over the game only hitting the spots with story missions it will take you only about 20 hours to beat, but doing everything will take a nice amount of length. There's also a nifty New Game + for once that carries over all Gil, Items, Dress Spheres and Garment Grids earned, Abilities, and Accessories (but you restart at level 1). Oh, and the girls all earn levels as normal so no Sphere Grid like progression.

The story isn't very good though. If you're already invested in FFX it will be good to you on a personal level often, such as seeing what has become of many areas in a year's time, but overall it's nothing special. The whole idea here is "Yuna is coming out of her shell", so expect to hear lines like "Oh, poopie!" and "This isn't fun at all! Let's have Yuna sing for us!" It DOES get serious at many parts, but Yuna is trying to be more care-free then before so it's mostly girl-pop-power situation.

Its texture is fluffy and the flavor here is all pink bubblegum. If you can swallow that you will have no problem with the game... If you're mad the serious storyline of other FF's isn't present then you won't make it past the first few hours.

I like the game and don't regret buying it. I would not have spent 50$ dollars on it, but I got mine on Amazon for 15 used and I've sunk over 100 hours into the sucker getting that godforsaken ending. It's cheap now, and it will entertain you. But if you go in with huge expectations you will be let down...

It's mostly just a huge romp through Spira and not much else. If you like Spira as your amusement park and just want an excuse to play in it this game will serve its purpose, but no this will not be anywhere close to your favorite of the series.

Thanks for the great reply, I'm probably gunna get the game now:)

boys from the dwarf
04-24-2006, 08:03 AM
this is what i say to most people who want to buy the game. for a game its quite good but for an FF its pretty poor. if your a massive FF fan and feel you need to buy every single FF like me, go ahead and buy it. it has good points but not enough to balance out all of those bad points. the storyline and plot is the worst out of any FF. i even found FF1's plot better than this and FF1 hardly has a plot. but if your an FF collector just buy it no matter what people say about it.

Venom
04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
X-2 is absolutely worth the money if you HATE immensly the concept of fun.

DeathKnight
04-24-2006, 06:15 PM
He already bought the game, so you're just making meaningless posts now:irked:

Setzer Gabianni
04-24-2006, 07:52 PM
^ Haha, sorry, but so are you.

Hope you have fun with it. Watch out for Gippal speaking, he is very sexy.

~Setzer Gabianni

DeathKnight
04-24-2006, 08:09 PM
^ Haha, sorry, but so are you.

Hope you have fun with it. Watch out for Gippal speaking, he is very sexy.

~Setzer Gabianni

Maybe so, but at least I'm doing something to stop it. But of course there'll be people like you who like to argue 'bout every little thing.

Setzer Gabianni
04-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Ugh, don't speak about me like that, please. He said he was going to PROBABLY get it, and so two people posted after him, and you have to stop others posting? I don't argue about everything little thing, so please don't do that again. If I do argue, then you do as well.

~Setzer Gabianni

DeathKnight
04-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Please don't twist my words, all I said was "it's MEANINGLESS to post now since he already bought the game" I didn't say "stop posting you fuckers" Those are two different things. I just gave 'em a suggestion.

rubah
04-25-2006, 12:51 AM
And the only suggestions needed were whether or not to buy the game. Please stay on topic, especially if you're going to go into petty arguments :]

Jessweeee♪
04-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Let me summarize:
Story sucks
Gameplay good

Dreddz
04-26-2006, 12:58 AM
I recommend you get it. Some slag it but no one can question that it is a good game.

XxSephirothxX
04-26-2006, 01:07 AM
It's a Greatest Hits title now, right? Regardless, the story is a bit lame, but it's fun to play and worth the money for that alone.

DeathKnight
04-26-2006, 01:57 AM
It's a Greatest Hits title now, right? Regardless, the story is a bit lame, but it's fun to play and worth the money for that alone.

Uhh he already bought the game:tonberry:

Contrary to you, it's one of the best FFs out there. IGN.com rated it with a 9.5/10 so you're getting more for what you're paying buddy.

Setzer Gabianni
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
You don't just go by IGN's review, you need to look elsewhere, looking at one site isn't going to give you the best insight.

Just get it anyway. Nooj, Gippal and Baralai are the sex <3

~Setzer Gabianni

Venom
04-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Its more of a personal perspective really.

XxSephirothxX
04-27-2006, 01:41 AM

Contrary to you, it's one of the best FFs out there. IGN.com rated it with a 9.5/10 so you're getting more for what you're paying buddy.
Since when did 'probably' mean 'certainly'? And IGN is far from the be-all and end-all when it comes to games.

LunarWeaver
04-27-2006, 01:45 AM
IGN gave Kingdom Hearts 2 a 7.6... That means they feel X-2, Wild Arms 4, Xenosaga episode II, and a whole slew of others are better sequels :eep:

IGN is the devil! DEVIL! :P

Markus. D
04-27-2006, 02:38 AM
If you go into it expecting something lighthearted and fun, you won't be disappointed. If you want a dark atmosphere, you'll have to look hard to find it.

yes you will, because within all of that happyness is a very grim story about a little of Zanarkands historical measures.

the war between Zanarkand and Bevelle.

that is a bit of a spoiler...

Zeromus_X
04-27-2006, 03:19 AM
Yeah, but compared to all the dark crap in X, it isn't really all that much. :cat:

Markus. D
04-27-2006, 04:39 AM
Yeah, but compared to all the dark crap in X, it isn't really all that much. :cat:

you would be suprised.

X-2 sticks to many topics, while 10 is more focused on 1....

Marluxiaswife
04-27-2006, 04:55 AM
to tell you the truth i didn't know if i should play ffx-2, i though i would be like movies when they make part two they weren't good, now i love ffx-2 i'm happy i bought it :D

*threedarkness*
04-27-2006, 05:52 AM
to tell you the truth i didn't know if i should play ffx-2, i though i would be like movies when they make part two they weren't good, now i love ffx-2 i'm happy i bought it :D

same here :D

Setzer Gabianni
04-27-2006, 07:57 AM

you would be suprised.

X-2 doesn't really describe much of the Bevelle vs Zanarkand history, that's what he is getting at I think.

~Setzer Gabianni

Markus. D
04-27-2006, 09:00 AM

you would be suprised.

X-2 doesn't really describe much of the Bevelle vs Zanarkand history, that's what he is getting at I think.

~Setzer Gabianni

the spoiler I stated is the topic of history it focuses on...

DeathKnight
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM

Since when did 'probably' mean 'certainly'? And IGN is far from the be-all and end-all when it comes to games.

Yes it is:)

Darth Cid
04-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Zidane: Nope, it's not worth buying.