PDA

View Full Version : scary games

Lynx
04-24-2006, 06:09 AM
has there ever been a video game that scared you? if so what gamne was it and what scene.

i myself have never played any games that i concidered scary but i heard there are a few.

Samuraid
04-24-2006, 06:18 AM
I've been a bit uneasy playing certain games, not because of the storyline or scary sequences, but more because of the environments and ambiance. (dark scenes, music, sound environments)

Rase
04-24-2006, 06:27 AM
The scariest part of a game for me was the mission Robbing the Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows. The whole thing was the ambiance, especially the sound effects and the music in the background. Chains, woman and children screaming, babies crying, moaning, sudden loud noises. Took me forever to beat the level too, because I could only play for maybe half an hour before I had to take a break from it, it freaked me out so much. :(

Polnareff
04-24-2006, 10:41 AM
The Japanese version of Monster Party when I was younger, due to its art style and monster designs.

Strangely enough, after playing that game, I've watched so many horror movies that later games like SH and RE don't faze me all that much. They may startle me every once in a while (especially RE with stuff randomly jumping at you), but the don't really scare me. =/

Erdrick Holmes
04-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Silent Hill 4 gave me nightmares.

Angel Heart
04-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Resident Evil 2. It was the first horror game i played, and it was scary, especially the part where you fall through the floorboards and where the zombies hands grab you through the boarded-up windows. :eek:

Dreddz
04-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Forbidden Silence scared me a bit. So did Nightmare Creatures. I dont recommend Nightmare Creatures though as the game was pretty crap :rolleyes2

Shaun
04-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I feel at home playing games like Project Zero and Silent Hill. They really make me grin.

~SapphireStar~
04-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Silent Hill 2 ~ Zombie Rape scene ... OMFG, PH bloody rocks, but sitting in a cupboard watching that *shudder* can make you feel unsettled.

Roto13
04-24-2006, 04:18 PM
Eternal Darkness does well with the freaky atmosphere. There's that one moment that scared the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif out of me. It's not even an important moment, and it's completely optional. It only lasts a moment. Freaky. At one point, if you check out the bathtub as Alex, the camera flashes a scene of her, dead in a the blood-filled bathtub. That was awesome!

defcon_blackice
04-24-2006, 04:26 PM
the only game that was ever scary to me was the first silent hill game that game was weard as hell:sweat: :sweat:

Necron
04-24-2006, 05:48 PM
There has been a FEW moments on Resident Evil 2 that have startled me, such as When you pick up the cog (at least I think it's a cog) and Mr X comes through the wall. That made me jump! . Moments on other RE's have scared/made me jump too.

Madame Adequate
04-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Resident Evil, but not because of any particular deftness in the game, just because I hate zombies. For actual terror, three things come to mind;

Fatal Frame/Project Zero games
Silent Hill games
Ravenholm in Half-Life 2

Erdrick Holmes
04-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Shaq-Fu, I think that game is frightening enough.

Kyri
04-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Eternal Darkness was one of the scariest game I've played. >.<

amratis
04-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Any Silent Hill game really, but especially Silent Hill 2, JESUS CHRIST! :eek: I was practically hiding behind the sofa whilst playing it.

I also found Area 51 abit creepy. Part from that...oh there's been loads over the years that have their moments.

edit - someone else seems to have mentioned it and reminded me - Thief :Deadly Shadows, there really are some truly scary missions in that, I hate the god damn zombies in that game.

Shiny
04-24-2006, 09:27 PM
I found Pokemon Snapshot pretty scary. As well as Silent Hill 1,2&4 and Resident Evil 1&4.

Lynx
04-24-2006, 09:37 PM
yeah i had heard silent hill was really scary and with the movie jsut comeing out its what sparked me into makeing this thread. also i had almost forgot i did play some of fatal frame that was pretty creepy. and one of the legacy of kain games was creepy. i only played 1 of them i forget which one though.

Shoeberto
04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
When I played Resident Evil 2 at the tender age of nine when it was released in 1997, I swore off scary video games for about five years. I didn't even get past the dumpster heading towards the police station before I had to shut the game off.

Silent Hill 1 did something to me, too. That game was straight-up frightening when I first played it.

Doom 3 was a nervewracking type of scary to me. I couldn't play it for extended sessions because I got myself too worked up in expecting something to jump out. The game was lackluster, but it accomplished its goal.

And Ravenholm in HL2 was terrifying.

Sergeant Hartman
04-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Pigsey's gonna suck your guts! - Manhunt.

Ramza Beoulve
04-24-2006, 10:54 PM
RE3, when I was little, and Shadowman because I played it all night long (it was the first game that I had for PS!), but I was a little child. God, I love that game

Venom
04-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Tetris.

Reles
04-25-2006, 03:38 AM
Fatal Frame makes me scream and jump. I always play it with my brother and we turn the lights out. We're weird siblings.

Markus. D
04-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Painkiller with the rock battle music muted.

that showed my friend who thought he never got scared of survival horrors.

muahahahahaha.

kikimm
04-25-2006, 05:10 AM
Silent Hill is scary and creepy and all that, but it's nothing compared to Fatal frame, in my opinion. That's a scary game. I don't want to play it anymore, even though I'm like, pretty much done. Ah.

Also, Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines can be scary as hell. The hotel in the beginning? I had to go out of my room every few minutes and run around and look at the sun. :( So scary.

theundeadhero
04-25-2006, 05:21 AM
Nothing has ever come close to giving me as much creeped out paranoia as Quake on the PC did. Fatal Frame II comes second.

mega_tonberry
04-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Fatal frame and Ravenholm from Half-Life 2 stick out the most. I've played Silent hill so much it hardly bothers me anymore and Resident evil can still make me jump sometimes.

black orb
04-25-2006, 06:59 AM
>>> Lots of things scare me but for some odd reason I cannot be scared by videogames.. :mad2:
Plus, all those creepy games like RE and stuff bore me to death..

Erdrick Holmes
04-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh yeah, the scariest video game my far is Doom for the Playstation. The sound effects the game used mixed with the music gave the game a very scary as hell feel to it. I remember playing it and having NIGHTMARES for weeks. There was one level where in the background music you can hear people groaning in agony and a babies crying.

FallenAngel411
04-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Fatal Frame. (shiverrrrrrrr)

The first will always be the scariest for me, because before that I had never played anything like it before. I never knew a game could give me nightmares until Kirie came out of a mirror and grabbed me....I mean Miku. Grabbed Miku. :eep: After that, the second is a little less scary only because I'd played the first to death, then the third even less scary, because it mostly borrows from the first two. But they are all still part of the elite in terms of scary games.

Silent Hill was also quite disturbing for me, but not in an enjoyable way. I don't like feeling sick to my stomach every time I'm about to open a door, thanks.

Yuna-Lenne
04-25-2006, 04:49 PM
well I'm a real wimp! -_- When I was about 12 I got scared by Beyond Good and Evil and couldn't play it for a few months...I'm too soft. :|

KoShiatar
04-25-2006, 05:40 PM
I've never been truly scared by a videogame, but Ghosts and Goblins as a child used to make me feel somewhat unsettled. Really.

Necron
04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I dunno about anyone else, but Yoshi on Mario scares me stiff.

Crop
04-25-2006, 08:21 PM
When I first got the game dino crisis, someone told me to play it best in the house alone in the dark so I did and sometimes it got so crazy (like when the T-rex took a lunge at me) I had to pause it for a breather.

Spatvark
04-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Scariest thing I've ever experienced was in Thief 2, when I first encountered the tree monsters. Normally, they just sit there, looking like a perfectly harmless tree, until you sneak by them, and then they make the most godawful sound and start chasing you. And when one starts chasing you, the others wake up too, and you quickly get twenty of the sods after you.

I've also never been able to finish either of the two System Shock games, since they utterly creep me out.

leon123
04-27-2006, 11:59 PM
silent hill 2 the room with the body parts laying around

Bart's Friend Milhouse
04-28-2006, 12:06 AM
bio hazard. I'm not bad at it I just get second thoughts

kikimm
04-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Okay I take back what I said before. Silent Hill IS scary. :( Replaying SH3 has reminded me of what I had obviously forgotten. Well, SH and SH3 were the only scary ones. 2 and 4 didn't really SCARE me at all, although everything about Walter is very unsettling.

Elite Lord Sigma
04-29-2006, 08:36 PM
No game has scared me at all. I find most of the segments where you're supposed to be freaked out amusing.

Nick Schovitz
04-29-2006, 08:51 PM
There has been a FEW moments on Resident Evil 2 that have startled me, such as When you pick up the cog (at least I think it's a cog) and Mr X comes through the wall. That made me jump! . Moments on other RE's have scared/made me jump too.
yeah that scared me too and when you were in this room with a mirror and when you were about to leave, a licker jumped and busted through the mirror.

Necron
04-29-2006, 10:13 PM
silent hill 2 the room with the body parts laying around

I recently bought this game, is that the bit where You get the flashlight from the model thing, and then a straightjacket monster jumps up from the ground? If so, then that was SCARY!

NeoCracker
04-29-2006, 10:21 PM
Bahrne of FF IX greatly scared me.

Necron
04-30-2006, 08:02 PM
yeah that scared me too and when you were in this room with a mirror and when you were about to leave, a licker jumped and busted through the mirror.

Yeah, that made me jump too.

Yuffie514
05-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Silent Hill's ultimate challenge is not Resident Evil. the goal is to be a horror game:

what lies beyond those dark, bloody rooms?
will you investigate or stay behind?
would you play with all the lights off?

the monster, Twin Victims from Silent Hill 4: The Room was freaky. they look like two conjoined-heads mounted on top of a shaved gorilla's torso. they look more like two pale and shrunken granny heads stuck together IMO, xD.
this is not the only one in the series that has scared me - i haven't had the chance to play Silent Hill 2 again (in a loooong time), because i can't anyway, and i never got far in Silent Hill 3 to share much experience.

EDIT: more Silent Hill 4: The Room scare.

demons started taking over my room. 1) the bloody prints of my shoes that originally stood by the door found in the kitchen. 2) dozens of imprints on the wall of what appears to be little girls crying. 3) what is this?! poltergeist? xD, windows gone mad and some invisible demon in my room. approach, stay and eventually...

Cless
05-05-2006, 03:38 AM
I found Silent Hill 2 scarier than the first one actually. And for one major reason; Pyramid Head scared the absolute crap out of me. I swear, I played most of that game on the edge of my seat, unsettled by the very thought that Pyramid Head could be waiting for me around the corner. I felt like I could just feel his ominous presence looming over me as I played, pervading the entire game from whence you first encounter him. And I would feel it more the further I progressed. Eventually I had to call it quits, as it got a little bit too much for my shaky nerves to withstand.

Perhaps I'll play it again some day.

Cid Vicious
05-05-2006, 12:17 PM
The scariest part's of Silent Hill 2, is the part's where nothing happen's.
The loooooong walk through The Park and Cemetry to SH Ranch, and the hole in the ground in SH Musieum.

It's the same type of thing in Resident Evil 2.
Droping through the floorboards, beat any encounter with Nemisis.

Giga Guess
05-05-2006, 01:32 PM
I found Silent Hill 2 scarier than the first one actually. And for one major reason; Pyramid Head scared the absolute crap out of me. I swear, I played most of that game on the edge of my seat, unsettled by the very thought that Pyramid Head could be waiting for me around the corner. I felt like I could just feel his ominous presence looming over me as I played, pervading the entire game from whence you first encounter him. And I would feel it more the further I progressed. Eventually I had to call it quits, as it got a little bit too much for my shaky nerves to withstand.

Perhaps I'll play it again some day.

One of the reasons Silent Hill 4 is good is that it has that suspense. It's like.....16 different Pyramid Heads wandering about (albeit not in the same area), but most with less damage capacity. but nevertheless, you can knock them down for a few seconds but they get right back up.

Sut SH3, with the mannequin in the Office Buildinng area....that scared me.

Spawn of Sephiroth
05-08-2006, 11:54 PM
the only game to ever scare the hell out of me was Resident Evil 4. I don't know why, but it always scared the hell out of me.:choc2: