PDA

View Full Version : Ad-Ware Removal?

agrudis
04-24-2006, 05:31 PM
My comp is swamped with ad-ware, and I've only recently decided to do anything about that. The problem is, every time I try to delete ad-ware manually or download ad-ware/spyware remover, my computer crashes. I don't have enough money to get anyone to look into it, and I have too much on here to lose so I can't reboot my comp (or reset, or renew, or whatever the word is). Any ideas on what to do? 'Cause I'm all out.

Raistlin
04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
*beats Unne to it*

Reinstall Windows.

agrudis
04-24-2006, 05:36 PM
But won't that mean I'll lose everything on my computer? I've got a 6000-ish page story I spent a year writing that I REALLY wouldn't want to lose.

Raistlin
04-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Save it to a CD or upload it on the internet or email it to yourself. Backup everything you want to keep and then wipe your HD and start from scratch. I think that's the only foolproof way.

Yamaneko
04-24-2006, 05:52 PM
*moves to Help*

Your best bet is to format and reinstall after you backup. There's no point in fighting a losing battle.

Mirage
04-24-2006, 08:59 PM
When reinstalling, be sure to make a separate windows partition, so that you won't need to back things up every time you need to reinstall windows. It's so convenient!

Samuraid
04-25-2006, 02:28 AM
You may want to try booting the computer into Safe Mode with Networking, and installing and running Adaware or Spybot S&D then.

To do this, press F8 on the keyboard a few times right after you turn the computer on until you see the windows startup menu. (looks like white text on a black screen)
In the menu, there should be an option to start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking.