PDA

View Full Version : Broken Windows (Microsoft [VISTA] style)

bipper
04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
So, we are looking into the future (still distant: three years after anouencing the new OS) and microsoft windows has yet to fufill thier longhorn promice.

The new Microsoft OS looks to be catching a ride on the crap train faster than its windows 95 ancestor. Even the Microsoft fanboys are getting worried [ http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5308_05.asp ]

The article does not make any absolution, but even for the enthused Windows OS fan, it puts a heavy handed perspective on things. I wasx even looking forward to athis installment, and hoping windows may yet redeem itself, and I am in way going to count it out yet - I am just stating that things look rather grim.

So, what are your anticipations for the future of Windows (this release and beyond)?

Are you excited for the new release, or curious in the least?

Bipper

Peegee
04-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Not really. The majority of the innovative addons and integrated software I won't ever use. I don't know enough about the technical specs, but I've always saw Vista as 'a waste of your video card'.

I wasn't always this way. In fact I was intending for this to be my first and only 'official' windows purchase.

KoShiatar
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
I know a friend beta testing Windows Vista. He told me that every beta he tried, it sucked more and more resources from the system: first, like, 128 MB RAM, then 200+, now 300+, in a PC with 500 MB RAM. At which I replied: "Is Mr. Gates making fun of us all? I thought a good operating system was that which uses the least resources, not the most!"
And what about the ineffable Palladium? What about the bugs and safety faults all the latest Windows releases had? What about all the useless crap they will force on us together with the system whether we want it or not, instead of making it, say, downloadable later from their site?
No, I'm definitely not looking forward to Windows Vista. Actually, I hope I never will be in the condition of having to install it forcibly.

bipper
04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
I beleive microsoft tries to use up resources to push the hardware industry further (colation w/ other technologies), and cause people to upgrade. It is just my paranoia though :) Though I am sure there is more merit to that claim than one may think. :p

Odaisé Gaelach
04-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I'll always have Windows 2000 if Vista goes belly-up. So I'm not too worried.

Dr Unne
04-24-2006, 10:38 PM
I wasx even looking forward to athis installment, and hoping windows may yet redeem itself, and I am in way going to count it out yet...

Upon what do you base this opinion? Their previous seven high-quality operating systems?

Microsoft's goal is not to make a good product. It's to sell a lot of product and make a lot of money. Sometimes making a good product is a good way to achieve the goal of selling a lot of product. But it's much cheaper to make garbage if you know everyone is going to buy it from you anyways. Or at the very least, make the bare minimum semi-garbage that most people will still buy from you. Or even better, make whatever level of garbage Dell and friends will buy from you, since whatever Dell pre-installs on its computers is what 99% of people will use.

I will never buy Vista, nope. My prediction is that it will suck hard and still be a smashing success (in that it makes lots of money for MS). Very much like their previous seven operating systems.

Shoeberto
04-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I really had no opinion of Vista - nothing for nor against it, because I don't really care and have no intent to upgrade - for the longest time, until the idea of it being a proprietary gaming platform. Alienating other OSes is one thing, but alienating their own OSes? I just hope the folks at the Cedega project can crack whatever crap they make, and that more software companies will take note from iD and do crossplatform OGL engines. Which probably won't happen. So >:(

Yamaneko
04-24-2006, 10:51 PM
I'm not going to waste my time with DRM issues and viewing down-sampled content on a non-DRM enabled monitor. That should be criminal. Of course the movie studios are part to blame, but Micro$oft is allowing it to happen. I'll stick to the Linux/Windows (20GB game partition) method for a long while.

KoShiatar
04-24-2006, 11:05 PM
I beleive microsoft tries to use up resources to push the hardware industry further (colation w/ other technologies), and cause people to upgrade. It is just my paranoia though :) Though I am sure there is more merit to that claim than one may think. :p

If you knew what kind of things MS did in the past to promote their own products over other products that worked better, you would not feel paranoid at all.

Necronopticous
04-24-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm excited for Vista, Microsoft Office 12 Beta 1 was enough to trigger that. I'm excited to use Vista Paint and Vista Minesweeper. Most of all, I'm excited for Square's new MMORPG coming to Windows Vista.

Thankfully I'm running a computer with good hardware, so the resource consumption doesn't bother me.

DMKA
04-24-2006, 11:21 PM
I'll stick with XP until everything is only supported by whatever comes after XP like XP is now to all the old versions of Windows. Operating systems really, really don't mean that much to me. I'm always going to use the operating system that I can obtain the cheapest products with and has the widest range of compatability.

rubah
04-24-2006, 11:33 PM
I was excited about vista until I heard about the requirements, the cost, and about how poorly implemented some of the new features seem to be.

bipper
04-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Upon what do you base this opinion? Their previous seven high-quality operating systems?

Nothing really, just blantant high hopes that they would follow the trends of linux, which they are OBVIOUSLY trying to replicate on thier own OS. Smurf Micro$uck. ;)

Aside from that, I am excited, as it seems the release is going to be rushed and suck even worse than anyone has anticipated. Another nail in the coffin, so-to-speak.

Operating systems really, really don't mean that much to me. I'm always going to use the operating system that I can obtain the cheapest products with and has the widest range of compatability.

Sweet! You use linux! grats

Bipper

Levian
04-25-2006, 02:59 PM
What's a longhorn promice?

ZeZipster
04-25-2006, 03:01 PM
OH MY GOD IT'S VISTA...I MEAN...LOOK AT IT...IT'S VISTA. I WANT VISTA EVERYTHING!! I WANT VISTA ICONS AND VISTA WALLPAPERS AND VISTA SKINS...I WANT MY WHOLE OPERATING SYSTEM TO LOOK LIKE VISTA. FOR GOD'S SAKE IT'S VISTA!! FROM NOW ON EVERYONE SHOULD CREATE VISTA SKINS ONLY...OH MY...VISTA...I CAN'T GET OVER IT. VISTA IS SO SWEET IT MAKES ME WANT TO CRAP MY PANTS. VISTA!! IF A SKIN ISN'T VISTA I DON'T WANT IT...I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR ALL OF THESE "OTHER" SKINS...VISTA IS THE ONLY ONE FOR ME. AND WHEN VISTA COMES OUT...I STILL ONLY WANT VISTA SKINS...I WANT SOMEONE TO CREATE A VISTA SKIN OF VISTA SO I CAN APPLY VISTA OVER VISTA...MY GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE DOUBLE VISTA EVERYTHING!! CAN'T YOU BELIEVE IT??? IT'S VISTA!!! I WANT A VISTA TEE-SHIRT AND CUT MY HAIR IN THE STYLE OF VISTA...OH MY GOD I'M CALLING FOR AN APPOINTMENT NOW!!! WHEN I HAVE KIDS I'M NAMING THEM ALL VISTA...I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY ARE...BOY OR GIRL OR GOAT I'M NAMING THEM ALL VISTA. I'M EVEN GOING TO GIVE THEM VISTA FOR A MIDDLE NAME AND CHANGE MY LAST NAME TO VISTA SO THAT ALL THREE OF OUR NAMES CAN BE VISTA VISTA VISTA. DEAR LORD IT'S GLORIOUS...MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S VISTA....HOLY /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif I LOVE VISTA SO MUCH. I'M GOING TO SHAVE MY CAT TO LOOK LIKE VISTA!! I'M GOING TO EAT NOTHING BUT FRUITY PEBBLES FOR EVERY MEAL SO THAT WHEN I CRAP IT LOOKS LIKE VISTA!! JESUS LORD IN HEAVEN IT'S VISTA...SWEET MOTHER OF GOD I CAN'T WAIT!!! I WANT THE THE UNITED STATES TO CHANGE IT'S NAME TO THE UNITED VISTA OF VISTA...MY WORD I'M CALLING MY CONGRESSMAN NOW....

Loony BoB
04-25-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm not terribly excited. Windows XP works just fine for me, and if I buy a new PC then I'll be putting Linux on my old one anyway, so I can finally get around to figuring it out. :p

Shaun
04-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Heh, I've seen smurf-loads of torrents on the Internet for Longhorn/Vista in beta stage. ;P Of course, I haven't download any.

bipper
04-25-2006, 04:53 PM
OH MY GOD IT'S VISTA...I MEAN...LOOK AT IT...IT'S VISTA. I WANT VISTA EVERYTHING!! I WANT VISTA ICONS AND VISTA WALLPAPERS AND VISTA SKINS...I WANT MY WHOLE OPERATING SYSTEM TO LOOK LIKE VISTA. FOR GOD'S SAKE IT'S VISTA!! FROM NOW ON EVERYONE SHOULD CREATE VISTA SKINS ONLY...OH MY...VISTA...I CAN'T GET OVER IT. VISTA IS SO SWEET IT MAKES ME WANT TO CRAP MY PANTS. VISTA!! IF A SKIN ISN'T VISTA I DON'T WANT IT...I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR ALL OF THESE "OTHER" SKINS...VISTA IS THE ONLY ONE FOR ME. AND WHEN VISTA COMES OUT...I STILL ONLY WANT VISTA SKINS...I WANT SOMEONE TO CREATE A VISTA SKIN OF VISTA SO I CAN APPLY VISTA OVER VISTA...MY GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE DOUBLE VISTA EVERYTHING!! CAN'T YOU BELIEVE IT??? IT'S VISTA!!! I WANT A VISTA TEE-SHIRT AND CUT MY HAIR IN THE STYLE OF VISTA...OH MY GOD I'M CALLING FOR AN APPOINTMENT NOW!!! WHEN I HAVE KIDS I'M NAMING THEM ALL VISTA...I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY ARE...BOY OR GIRL OR GOAT I'M NAMING THEM ALL VISTA. I'M EVEN GOING TO GIVE THEM VISTA FOR A MIDDLE NAME AND CHANGE MY LAST NAME TO VISTA SO THAT ALL THREE OF OUR NAMES CAN BE VISTA VISTA VISTA. DEAR LORD IT'S GLORIOUS...MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S VISTA....HOLY /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif I LOVE VISTA SO MUCH. I'M GOING TO SHAVE MY CAT TO LOOK LIKE VISTA!! I'M GOING TO EAT NOTHING BUT FRUITY PEBBLES FOR EVERY MEAL SO THAT WHEN I CRAP IT LOOKS LIKE VISTA!! JESUS LORD IN HEAVEN IT'S VISTA...SWEET MOTHER OF GOD I CAN'T WAIT!!! I WANT THE THE UNITED STATES TO CHANGE IT'S NAME TO THE UNITED VISTA OF VISTA...MY WORD I'M CALLING MY CONGRESSMAN NOW....

I declare this post ... legendary!

What's a longhorn promice?

Basically whay windows promiced Loghorn (Vistas development name) would be capable of.

Bipper

KoShiatar
04-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not terribly excited. Windows XP works just fine for me, and if I buy a new PC then I'll be putting Linux on my old one anyway, so I can finally get around to figuring it out. :p

Which is exactly the same thing I am planning to do right now, with the distanto goal to be able one day to leave Windows forever, or at least no longer be a slave of it. You see, I just sent an MP3 to a friend of mine (classical music, so I suppose it's not copyrighted), and his new MSN beta blocked the file as being potentially dangerous (sure, why not. For the major's incomings, maybe.) and possibly deleted it. I want to be free to share my files with whomever the smurf I want to, and that's a good reason not for choosing Vista alone.

rubah
04-25-2006, 10:44 PM
We were discussing microsoft and their operating systems and web browsers last night in #fat_chocobo, and I realized that Microsoft only releases a new version of Internet Explorer if they have a new operating system close at hand.

IE 1.0 debuted pretty much with Windows 95. IE3 was fairly close to the secondary releases of '95. IE4 was such a few months after windows '98. IE5 was about a year after '98 SE, but windows 2000, IE5.5 and Windows ME were all within a very close span in 2000.

IE6 came out barely months before Windows XP, and neither have seen a significant update since that time.

The time between XP and Vista will be comparable in length to that between '95 and ME. And there was a lot of things between Win95 and WinME.

What's been between xp and now? a couple of service packs.

It's very clear that the web browser is a secondary concern-- I'd imagine they think it can take care of itself.

But does that mean they shouldn't update it after years because they don't have a new operating system to pair it with?

Shoeberto
04-25-2006, 11:29 PM
It's very clear that the web browser is a secondary concern-- I'd imagine they think it can take care of itself.
Dvorak seems to think they should give up on it altogether. (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1952999,00.asp) I gotta agree with him.

Mirage
04-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, it looks nice. And about the graphics card thing; what do you think your 3D card is doing when you're not playing a game? Pretty much nothing. Why shouldn't windows use those hundreds of megahertz to run the GUI instead, and at the same time free some CPU cycles?

And about huge RAM usages, that might be because of the new preloading technology. If RAM isn't used, it'll use it to preload parts of programs you tend to use at different times. For example, if you tend to play FFXI or WoW at the afternoons every day, it'll load lots of resources into RAM a bit before that, so that those programs can launch real quick. Ofcourse, Vista might not always be able to predict what you're going to use. However, if you run low on RAM, it's supposed to clear that stuff from memory instantly. If it works.

From what it seems, running admin as default is supposed to go away too, and they've implemented technologies that will let even poorly programmed programs that earlier required administrator rights, still be able to run as a restricted user. You will also be able to downprioritize interrupts from certain programs, so that virus scanners will affect you productivity (or gaming) far less than it would by simply downprioritizing the CPU usage.

I think Vista will be pretty good. If you look at the giant leap Windows XP was from Windows NT 4, then imagine a similiar leap in technology from XP to Vista, I think it will be cool. I'll get it if it doesn't have too much DRM crap in it. I suppose I will still be able to run Winamp and get regular MP3s, so I guess I'm okay. I might have to get a cracked version if the price tag is too high though :p.

XxSephirothxX
04-26-2006, 12:06 AM
I just got XP recently, so I'm not exactly looking to buy Vista anytime soon. Maybe in a couple years if it turns out better than expected and has some to-die-for feature I don't know about yet. As of right now, though, I haven't seen a thing about Vista that makes it interesting other than the fact it looks nice. And I'm not paying 150 bucks, or howevermuch it's going to cost, for something that just looks nice. :p

Samuraid
04-26-2006, 02:43 AM
I generally wait a year before installing the lastest Microsoft OS, just to see how it fairs. (I went from windows 3.1 straight to win98 straight to windows XP pro, for obvious reasons) Thus, I'm marginally excited, and only if they do get a very stable and efficient OS by the end of the first release year.

Yeah, suffice it to say, I'll be making good use of my Linux installs for the next few years.

Peegee
04-26-2006, 03:01 AM
I'll probably end up getting it, thanks to planned obselesence of winXP. I'm worried however -- will the interface force my cpu to be running cycles ad nauseum? Wouldn't that lower its life, etc?

Roto13
04-26-2006, 03:50 AM

http://www.crystalxp.net/dl/en.gal.130.htm

Congrats. You have Vista.

DMKA
04-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Sweet! You use linux! grats
Well I see my earlier post was deleted; I'll attempt to put it more politely...

Quit trolling (again). You know what I mean, and if you think Linux has more compatability than Windows and works with more hardware than Windows then you've either never used Linux, never used Windows, barely touched both, or just plain know nothing about either operating system. Linux is the exact opposite; it's compatable with the least and Windows is compatable with the most; quality is a matter of opinion and grounds for argument of course.

I will never switch to Linux (but I have had the displeasure of using it over the course of six or so months) until, like I already said and you completely ignored, or just failed to read, it surpasses all other operating systems, including Windows, in terms of compatability, user friendlyness, and range of products I can get for it at reasonable prices. And don't start with that "BUT ALL LINUX'S PROGRAMS ARE FREE HAR HAR HAR!!!1"...I video edit and play games on my computer, and there's not a single decent editing program for Linux that wouldn't cost a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifload of money to get up and running, and lets not even get into games.