PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII-IX on Handhelds

-Red XIII-
04-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Sooner or later, they're gonna have to put the "newer" FF's on a handheld like the DS and PSP (Like FF7, 8, 9). 10 on up might be too much, but if you think about it, the DS cartridge has about as much power as maybe one and a half PS1 discs. What do you think would be best on it? What do you think they'd have to do in terms of technology to make it happen?

Dreddz
04-24-2006, 10:04 PM
It will be very odd if they did. The DS Im sure cant handle the games, especially VIII and IX. The PSP on the other hand probably could. If they are released on the PSP however it would cause a problem. The first 6 are out on Nintendo handhelds. So you would have to buy a PSP to experience the other half of the series.

-Red XIII-
04-24-2006, 10:10 PM
True, but they could probably include more cartridges in the game box for it. It would definanlty put them on the spot. Like the N64: they're games use a gigabyte. DS games use 4.5 gigabytes. what's that say? any game n the N64 (more or less) can be put on the ds. Mario 64. Rayman. Think about it.

DJZen
04-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Think about this. If a DS cart is 4.5 gigs, that's the equivalent of 6 CDs. However, that's a fallacy. DS cards only store 1GB. This is just under 1.5 CDs. Basically you'd need two DS cards for FFVII alone. Now, while you might assume this gives the PSP the edge with its ub4rl337 0pt1c4l dr1v3 p0w4rz, it's not much of an edge. The UMD format is only capable of storing 1.8GB, which is roughly 2.5 CDs, meaning you'd still need 2 UMDs for a game like FFVII.

Long story short, don't hold your breath for the PS games to be released on portable format. I'm sure it'll happen, just not soon. Possibly not until the next generation of handhelds.

Necronopticous
04-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Sony mentioned the possibility of an official PSX emulator on PSP in the future.

-Red XIII-
04-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Think about this. If a DS cart is 4.5 gigs, that's the equivalent of 6 CDs. However, that's a fallacy. DS cards only store 1GB. This is just under 1.5 CDs. Basically you'd need two DS cards for FFVII alone. Now, while you might assume this gives the PSP the edge with its ub4rl337 0pt1c4l dr1v3 p0w4rz, it's not much of an edge. The UMD format is only capable of storing 1.8GB, which is roughly 2.5 CDs, meaning you'd still need 2 UMDs for a game like FFVII.

Long story short, don't hold your breath for the PS games to be released on portable format. I'm sure it'll happen, just not soon. Possibly not until the next generation of handhelds.

True, but look at Resident Evil DS. That was originaly a PS game. they redid it, AND added stuff.

ljkkjlcm9
04-25-2006, 01:20 AM
uhm Sony is releasing a PS1 game download service on both the PSP and the PS3

THE JACKEL

DJZen
04-26-2006, 01:47 AM
IF you removed the FMVs, the game could easily fit onto one UMD with room to spare. However, fans would hate that more than anything. There would be riots and... Well actually it'd be more like people e-mailing Squenix and telling them they've sold out and screwed over their fans. The game with FMVs included takes up about 2.3 Gigabytes. The "high capacity" 1GB Memory Stick is often criticized for being too expensive. How do you think fans would feel about buying a 4GB MS just to store the one game? Again, angry e-mails mostly filled with references to Squenix's newfound homosexuality.

DeathKnight
04-26-2006, 02:05 AM
For what? SquareEnix will never do such a thing, at least not in like 10 more years or so.

Zeromus_X
04-26-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm sure it'll happen.

In the future. :cat:

DeathKnight
04-26-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm sure it'll happen.

In the future. :cat:

2029! yes:tonberry:

DJZen
04-27-2006, 12:28 AM
That's what I'm sayin', homes!

ZeZipster
04-27-2006, 02:22 AM
I would love FF7 on the PSP.

Ballistix Man
04-27-2006, 02:27 AM
I can see this happening in the next year or so.

DJZen
04-27-2006, 02:58 AM
We'll see when we see.

Ballistix Man
04-27-2006, 03:04 AM
I mean they could put the FFVII game out on the download service in fourth's.

Axel Gaius
05-06-2006, 09:41 PM
How about release VII ( All else seems too much) for both systems?

DS: Two carts
PSP: Two UMDS, but with enhanced FMVs?

Rengori
05-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Everyone complains about the PSP's load times, and yet they want to play FFVII-IX on it, where a new load screen would come up about every 20 steps on the world map?

Carmilla
05-08-2006, 05:01 AM
The PSP is losing terribly compared to the DS.
Theres no way Square, who follows the money, would release 7, 8, or 9 on it.

Just wait and see that FF7 Crisis Core game be cancelled for the PSP.

Im guessing 7-9 will be released on the next gen portable DS2 or something. :choc2:

PontiusPilate
05-10-2006, 01:15 AM

Im guessing 7-9 will be released on the next gen portable DS2 or something. :choc2:

I have to completely disagree with you. If you looked at the sales of the DS compared the the PSP. PSP is utterly raping DS in sales. PSP improved the DS in every area. And I can bet money Crisis Core isnt leaving the PSP. And it might be released on the DS2. If there ever is a DS2 because PSP is controlling the hand helds

PontiusPilate
05-10-2006, 01:17 AM
How about release VII ( All else seems too much) for both systems?

DS: Two carts
PSP: Two UMDS, but with enhanced FMVs?
But how could you transfer your data from cart 1 to cart 2?

Carmilla
05-10-2006, 04:57 AM

I have to completely disagree with you. If you looked at the sales of the DS compared the the PSP. PSP is utterly raping DS in sales. PSP improved the DS in every area. And I can bet money Crisis Core isnt leaving the PSP. And it might be released on the DS2. If there ever is a DS2 because PSP is controlling the hand helds

Controlling the handhelds? How?

In The US and Europe the PSP and DS are neck and neck. But if you factor in GAMES sales than the PSP doesnt even come close.

Or just look at Japan where the DS sold 260000 in one week last month compared to 40000 of the PSP.

Yuffie514
05-10-2006, 05:22 AM
...if they did i wouldn't buy them just to enjoy them like whenever i take a trip to China or somewhere overseas. i would play them again on the original platform they were made for instead.

DJZen
05-10-2006, 05:55 AM
Will you still feel that way when you learn about the new dungeons, new characters, improved FMVs, voice acting and improved translation? :D

PontiusPilate
05-10-2006, 10:40 PM
DS Has very few good games. Id say 90% of them suck, and 7% of the games that don't suck are queer remakes. Also you can do more with the PSP

sephiroth64
05-17-2006, 10:01 PM
I have both a psp and a ds and i think that they would b more suited to psp but i doubt they would make them and we would have alot of umds or cartriges on our hands

Rengori
05-17-2006, 10:17 PM
DS Has very few good games. Id say 90% of them suck, and 7% of the games that don't suck are queer remakes.
Aren't 99.99% of PSP games queer remakes?

~SapphireStar~
05-17-2006, 10:42 PM
7 and 8 on the PSP would be very, very tasty indeed.

DJZen
05-17-2006, 11:32 PM
DS Has very few good games. Id say 90% of them suck, and 7% of the games that don't suck are queer remakes.

*sigh* Trauma Center, Jump Superstars, Pheonix Wright, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrows, Kirby Canvas Curse, Polarium, Super Princess Peach, The Rub Rabbits, Sonic Rush, Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble, Lunar Dragon Song, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, Nanostray, Meteos... You should really read a little bit more about what the DS has to offer. It's currently the most popular handheld in Japan, and with good reason.

~SapphireStar~
05-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Trauma Center, Jump Superstars, Pheonix Wright, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrows, Kirby Canvas Curse, Polarium, Super Princess Peach, The Rub Rabbits, Sonic Rush, Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble, Lunar Dragon Song, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, Nanostray, Meteos, Lost In Blue...
Just thought I'd add a fav :D

Rengori
05-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Trauma Center, Jump Superstars, Pheonix Wright, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrows, Kirby Canvas Curse, Polarium, Super Princess Peach, The Rub Rabbits, Sonic Rush, Viewtiful Joe Double Trouble, Lunar Dragon Song, Mario & Luigi Partners in Time, Nanostray, Meteos, Lost In Blue, Advance Wars DS...
Just thought I'd add a fav :D
Adding another fave...

Mirage
05-18-2006, 12:38 PM

First, the FF7 CDs aren't completely filled up, second, you'd only need one version of the game data, and third, the PSP can decode much more powerful video codecs than the PS1, meaning they can nearly halve the video files. Take FF8PC as an example, that game features twice the resolution on movies, while still fitting them on as many discs as the PS1

DJZen
05-18-2006, 06:48 PM
I can't really reply to that until I know what you mean by "one version of the game data"

Mirage
05-18-2006, 11:42 PM
Version was a silly thing to call it. You know, when you have 3 discs, you need to put the game data, such as the executables, the textures, battle and field models, plus all of the backdrops (and a few movies, like the elevators in Junon) on every disc. With one UMD, only one set of those is needed.