PDA

View Full Version : I just can't use different characters... HELP!!!

Prancing Mad
04-25-2006, 02:35 AM
I have this problem see. People often have a varying opinion on which chracters in a game are good, and which are bad. I've been trying to experiment with different styles of play, using different characters, but when I fight, I find myself disappointed with the outcome. For instance, why use a second-rate character like Quina or Eiko, when I can use a powerhouse like steiner that always takes out wicked damage, or maybe use a healer like Garnet who has more options? I'm baffled. The good things I can see for Eiko (phoenix, and the types of carbuncle spells). I guess frog drop must really be awesome or something. Anyways, how can I help myself experience more of the game by playing with these less-likable characters, and yet not feel overwhelmed by their inadequacy?

Rengori
04-25-2006, 03:13 AM
For a good majority of FFIX, you don't have a choice so it doesn't seem to big of a problem. Also, the other characters don't level up with the current party, so who you choose to use somewhere near the time you get the Blue Narcisass is what you're stuck with.

rubah
04-25-2006, 04:34 AM
I use whatever ones I like the best, whether they're good at attacking or not. Sometimes I like them because they are strong fighters though xD

Crossblades
04-25-2006, 05:21 PM
I always use a balanced party, Having two magic users and two melee users always work best for me

Darth Cid
04-25-2006, 05:30 PM
I always use a balanced party, Having two magic users and two melee users always work best for me

Zidane: Most times one of the magic-based is Garnet, and one of the melee-based is Zidane, naturally. :D

Dell
04-25-2006, 05:36 PM
I agree with Crossblades, having two melee user and two magic user is the best like in FFIX: I use Zidane, Vivi, Eiko and Steiner for most of the battles, and I though that Eiko have more White Magic than Garnet. Prancing Mad talk more about FFIX than the first generation so I guess this thread should be in FFIX.

crazybayman
04-25-2006, 05:40 PM
Its the same with me. The silly, second rate (IMO) characters like Quina, Cait Sith, Selphie, Rikku, etc always get left behind, and remain at lower levels.

I'm very partial to the powerhouse strong physical attack characters, definitely. And its the same every time I play through a new quest of any FF.

Darth Cid
04-25-2006, 06:31 PM
I agree with Crossblades, having two melee user and two magic user is the best like in FFIX: I use Zidane, Vivi, Eiko and Steiner for most of the battles, and I though that Eiko have more White Magic than Garnet. Prancing Mad talk more about FFIX than the first generation so I guess this thread should be in FFIX.

Zidane: Eiko does have more white magic, but what's the point? when you have all immunities on and Auto-Regen on all characters, what's the point of White Magic besides Holy? Garnet has a better range of eidolons to choose from(Bahamut and Ark, come on, we got Bahamut dealing 9,999 damage so what's the point of waiting on Ark's long-a** FMV for an attack with an element tacked on to it?) But a two-summoner team is good, the Holy spell and the eidolon Bahamut pwn. Most of the time, my party is Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Eiko OR Zidane, Garnet, Vivi, and Steiner. Quina is uneeded in battle unless you catch 100 frogs and make Frog Drop 9,999 damage, then I recommend Quina in a party up against Ozma.

EDIT - Since FFIX is a tribute anyway, I make up tribute battle tactics, in FFIV the Magus Sisters' Delta Attack comprised of Sandy reflecting(Walling at the time) Mandy, Mandy attacking, and Cindy casting Fira, Blizzara, Thundara, Bio(known as Fire2, Lit2, Ice2, Virus at the time) on Mandy to be reflected back. I created a tactic called the Delta Cannon that I do for fun, Eiko cast Carbunkle(Reflects everyone), Zidane attacks, Garnet uses a summon(Odin, Bahamut, or Ark, doesn't matter), and Vivi casts a high level on the party(it Reflects, makes a cool sound, I say "1a-2a-3a-4a") it does 9,999 damage, the process is uneeded, but it's for laughs.

Crossblades
04-25-2006, 06:43 PM

Not just in FF IX, though. In any RPG

Darth Cid
04-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Not just in FF IX, though. In any RPG

DarkLadyNyara
04-25-2006, 08:53 PM
I refuse to waste my time on sucky characters that I have no use for. But, to each his own, I guess.

DeathKnight
04-26-2006, 02:06 AM
I use all of them and I'm VERY proud of that:tonberry:

Captain Maxx Power
04-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I usually go off who I think is the coolest. For example in FF7 I always have Cid in my party because he's awesome.

Shin Gouken
04-26-2006, 07:10 PM
I always pick my fave and stick with them. Exept in FFX where i used whoever's skill i needed. I never used Wakka or Kimahri though. I don't think it's nessessary to use them just because they are there

Prancing Mad
04-27-2006, 02:52 AM
Oh it's not necessary to use them, but it provides a whole new experience with the game. By not having a PS2, I'm limited by what I can play. I have a massive collection though for PS ( I still have 3 games I need to actually finish playing through). Point being: Some people like characters that I consider absolutely useless. I want to figure out their style, and why they like these characters. I'm ALL about pure brawn and healing. I'd like to see what the real benefits are of using the other types of characters.

valentine
04-27-2006, 09:49 AM
No character is completely useless, even if you had a party made up entriley of the suckiest characters, you could still beat the game. So it doesn't really matter.

Personally I choose to use all my characters and balance them out. I always choose whoever is the lowest level to be in my party, and when they're level gets higher I switch them out for the new lowest leveled character, rinse and repeat until the end of the game where I use whoever the hell I feel like for the final boss.

NeoCracker
04-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I use all of them, but in the end I always use a healer and the rest my high-damage people. At least for the most part anyway. In BoF 2 I used Either Bow or Rand in the end. While Rand does have a mean hit, he's mostly for a wall. Bow I may use instead since in that game defensive magic is quite useful and bow is the only one who gets Defense-up X.

In IX this time around I'm planning on changing up my party for the end. I might try runnin with Zidane, Garnet, Quina, and Amarant.

six underground
04-27-2006, 11:03 AM
i love the combination of cloud, vincent and cid esp when they pose at the end hahaha. vincent stays in the center and looks like a gang boss while cloud and cid look like his henchmen, cloud swinging his sword around and cid puffing a cigarette. funny when they try to catch a chocobo though :)

Shin Gouken
04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
In most final fantasy games (the ones ive played anyway) you can make any character you want to be the way you want. Anyone can be a healer, melee or magic fighter etc The differences in whos better is either barely noticable or can be customised in the way you level them up.