PDA

View Full Version : So an athiest walks into a church...

yingyang
04-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Hey, I wanted to know if this was a common occurance with anyone else:

You tell someone that either A) You don't believe in God, B) You don't go to church, or C) all of the above. Now, let's say the person you're talking to is really into his/her religion, or is even into it mildly so.

The VERY first thing they respond with is, "Well, you should come to my church, it's great, we could help/improve your relationship with God, it's different/better than other churches..etc.."

Is this just a 'bible belt' thing? Or do you guys get this as well?

I just ask because some people I've talked to have never had this happen while others agree.

Raistlin
04-25-2006, 05:22 AM
I have never had someone respond that way to me. I've had people ask me to join a Bible study thing or attend some church function or whatever, but didn't know I was an atheist and stopped bugging me when I declined.

If someone did, I don't know how I'd respond. Probably resist the urge to punch them in the face and walk away.

LunarWeaver
04-25-2006, 05:26 AM
I tell people I'm an atheist and all I ever hear from that point on is about Hell and God and coming to church... I TRY to explain telling me to adopt religion and go to church is completely ineffective... It would be like me going to a priest and saying "Drop your religion and never go to church again." That priest isn't going to say, "You're one sentence on this subject matter has opened my eyes and morphed my entire life! I WILL become an atheist!"

Now I tell people I'm a Christian and go to church every Sunday. It's all much easier.

Dignified Pauper
04-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Meh, I have a really good group of friends and I attend church regularly when home. I, currently, am atheist, but I do take time to educate myself thoroughly. I do not agree with someone who calls themselves atheist, yet they know nothing about theology. I find it very ignorant. Same with theists who know nothing of science. Learn about something before discrediting it.

yingyang
04-25-2006, 05:45 AM
It would be like me going to a priest and saying "Drop your religion and never go to church again." That priest isn't going to say, "You're one sentence on this subject matter has opened my eyes and morphed my entire life! I WILL become an atheist!"

Haha... that made me laugh. Yeah, same here.

I'm not an athiest, By the way.

dirkdirden
04-25-2006, 06:20 AM
yes happens to me all the time.

People who feel unsure of there faith try to get other people to believe in the same nonsense that they believe in. Because the way they see it is the more people that believe it the more it must be true.

yes they are retarded. Next time ask them if they Believe in magic. If they say no ask then how the hell did Haysus walk on water, how did Moses part the sea, how did Noah hold thousands of large mammals in a tiny boat for 1 week, ware did the water from the flood go?, and last but not least how do all the presents get under the tree. If that's not magic I don't know what is.

They will get mad and never ask you this again. religious people are easily offended because they are easy to make look stupid and they have to rely on faith alone to back up there story's.

black orb
04-25-2006, 07:15 AM
>>> I just tell them I dont care about religion..

Dignified Pauper
04-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Jesus died for you, the least you could do is worship him.

dirkdirden
04-25-2006, 07:48 AM

NO THAT IS THE BIGEST LIE I HAVE EVER SEEN

Jesus died so Mel Gibson could make a movie about it

Jesus died for Mel Gibson

Peegee
04-25-2006, 10:01 AM
A better topic is why teens are generally antagonistic about Religion. I've never figured it out.

It's one thing to reject it for your own reasons -- it's another to openly mock and deride it.

Personally I never make the mistake of saying I'm Athiest. I never say anything and when people bring up Bible study I tell them I go to *local church near my house that my mother goes to* because 1) it's close to my house and 2) it's closer than your church.

Hah I win.

~SapphireStar~
04-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Im a Catholic, havent been to Church in a while, say my prayers everynight and sometimes do and dont believe in God. Thats mainly when bad crap happens, I blame him, yet other times I believe he listens to me when I pray to him. I havent been told I need to go to church more, I guess people accept the fact that I still pray is good enough.

Loony BoB
04-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I do believe that the church I went to in NZ is probably the only one I would ever go to regularly because it set such a high standard. That, and UK's style of church is not my style. I've tried dozens of churches in the UK and NZ outside of GEBC (my church) and none of them are rockin' enough.

But I've never been a preacher. I tend to avoid the topic unless it's brought to me.

Old Manus
04-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I thought this would be a 'So a guy walks into a bar' jokes with an atheist twist, but it turned out to be something boring.

Shaun
04-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I will always be convinced that there is no God. It's just what I believe. I was brought up by my parents to believe in God, but I deviated. Not for rebellion, but it's what I believe. There just isn't enough goodness in this world for me to believe there's a god in control. I tell anyone plain and simple what I believe.

fire_of_avalon
04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
yes happens to me all the time.

People who feel unsure of there faith try to get other people to believe in the same nonsense that they believe in. Because the way they see it is the more people that believe it the more it must be true.

Actually, one of the largest precepts of Christianity and all of its major denominations is witnessing to unbelievers. So, in truth, it normally takes someone very strong in their faith to seek out others who are unfamiliar with the Bible/church/etc.

LunarWeaver
04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
You know, if you don't believe in God that's perfectly fine, but if you run about saying things like "God is da Retardz he don't exist I PWN RELIGION" then that doesn't exactly project a good image to those that ARE religious ~_^.

I'm glad so many people believe different things... There's no reason we shouldn't all live differently, yet together hmm... But for some reason those with religion and those without have become rather nasty to each other. Your lifestyle isn't an excuse to hate everyone who isn't just like you, so leave the church-goers alone O_o

Anaisa
04-25-2006, 03:46 PM
You know, if you don't believe in God that's perfectly fine, but if you run about saying things like "God is da Retardz he don't exist I PWN RELIGION" then that doesn't exactly project a good image to those that ARE religious ~_^.

I'm glad so many people believe different things... There's no reason we shouldn't all live differently, yet together hmm... But for some reason those with religion and those without have become rather nasty to each other. Your lifestyle isn't an excuse to hate everyone who isn't just like you, so leave the church-goers alone O_o
Non religious people don't go around knocking on religious peoples doors and talking about how ridiculous they find the bible. So I think it's more a case of church-goers leave the non religious people alone, not the other way around.

Loony BoB
04-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Non religious people don't go around knocking on religious peoples doors and talking about how ridiculous they find the bible. So I think it's more a case of church-goers leave the non religious people alone, not the other way around.
You can turn them away. It's easier than you might think. Also, slamming religious people in general for the actions of those who go knocking on doors is a crap thing to do.

EDIT: Also, you probably don't realise just how in-your-face atheism is until you try being religious. And at least those religious people who knock on doors aren't making fun of you or anything. What PG said is very true - teens are generally antagonistic about religion.

Anaisa
04-25-2006, 04:19 PM
You can turn them away. It's easier than you might think. Also, slamming religious people in general for the actions of those who go knocking on doors is a crap thing to do.
I don't dislike all religious people. And I don't slam all religious people in general because of annoying religious people that knock at my door.
EDIT: Also, you probably don't realise just how in-your-face atheism is until you try being religious. And at least those religious people who knock on doors aren't making fun of you or anything. What PG said is very true - teens are generally antagonistic about religion.
Atheism is a lot less in your face than religion is. The amount of churches there are where I live is absurd. And the people who knock at my door are making fun of my intelligence if they think that I'm going to convert to their religion because they've come to my door with some pamphlets. Not to mention that their religion insults me anyway.

Loony BoB
04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Atheism is a lot less in your face than religion is. The amount of churches there are where I live is absurd. And the people who knock at my door are making fun of my intelligence if they think that I'm going to convert to their religion because they've come to my door with some pamphlets. Not to mention that their religion insults me anyway.
Maybe it's just where you live - I've only lived in NZ and the UK, after all. But if you're religious, I assure you, atheism is hugely in your face, especially in the youth environment. I don't have many people talking to me about religion at all outside of atheists these days, and they constantly bring it up. My friends make fun of my beliefs and I've even been told that people have lost respect for my intelligence because I was religious. Atheism seems to be considered to be the 'safe' route for the media, too, which plays a huge part in putting things in your face. I tend to avoid religious discussion because teenagers and young adults make such things seem like a constant battle for me to be allowed to just believe what I want to believe. Maybe you feel the same way in that regard too... I don't know. But I don't attack other beliefs. I just wish people would leave me alone when it comes to mine, though. But instead I have to put up with seeing entries on my LJ friends list mocking my religion on a regular basis. It's pretty disheartening at times.

/personal rant

Raistlin
04-25-2006, 04:42 PM
BoB: that is quite possible for Europe. But I promise you that, in the States, atheism is hiding in the corner rather than in your face, despite what the fundies try to say about the War Against Christianity *cue spooky music*.

DarkLadyNyara
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
The VERY first thing they respond with is, "Well, you should come to my church, it's great, we could help/improve your relationship with God, it's different/better than other churches..etc.."
Oh, man, tell me about it. I get this from compleat strngers, and I live in southern California. :rolleyes2

Jesus died so Mel Gibson could make a movie about it

Funny. :D

Thank you. I find millitancy irritating no matter who does it.

Alive-Cat
04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I once told some guy I hated God and he cried. For hours.

bipper
04-25-2006, 04:47 PM

While I have never had anyone knock on my door, dave for one Jehova Witness) I often run into athiests who seem to be adiment on converting Christians - or any faith for that matter. I work with one, whom is very admiment in assalting religion of any sort - mainly christianity.

I will attest and spread the word, but I will never force anyone into Christianty; I know this is not a universal standard, but from personal experience, I would say I have run into a 3:1 oppressive athiest to oppressive christian ratio. I define the oppresive nature as being more of a discrediting nature, as in an athiest calling a christian 'stoopidz' or what have you, or vice versa. I work in a more logistical dominated field, so my exposure is prolly no true control to go by. ;) (I agree with BoB - sound post)

Bipper

Levian
04-25-2006, 04:49 PM
I rarely ever met someone with a faith. Being an atheist is very normal in norway, so like 90% of the people I know are atheists. So it's more like "wtf, you're a christian? You should come to my place, we can curse and sloth all day!"

DarkLadyNyara
04-25-2006, 05:00 PM
I often run into athiests who seem to be adiment on converting Christians - or any faith for that matter. I work with one, whom is very admiment in assalting religion of any sort - mainly christianity.

I hate, hate, HATE people like that. At least Christians have the excuse of wanting to save your soul, what excuse do Atheists have? Live and let live, people.

Anaisa
04-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Maybe it's just where you live - I've only lived in NZ and the UK, after all. But if you're religious, I assure you, atheism is hugely in your face, especially in the youth environment. I don't have many people talking to me about religion at all outside of atheists these days, and they constantly bring it up. My friends make fun of my beliefs and I've even been told that people have lost respect for my intelligence because I was religious. Atheism seems to be considered to be the 'safe' route for the media, too, which plays a huge part in putting things in your face. I tend to avoid religious discussion because teenagers and young adults make such things seem like a constant battle for me to be allowed to just believe what I want to believe. Maybe you feel the same way in that regard too... I don't know. But I don't attack other beliefs. I just wish people would leave me alone when it comes to mine, though. But instead I have to put up with seeing entries on my LJ friends list mocking my religion on a regular basis. It's pretty disheartening at times.

/personal rant
Here the youngsters don't care enough about religion to even insult it. And they don't know enough about it to do so anyway. So it's really only the religious people you hear talking about religion.
While I have never had anyone knock on my door, dave for one Jehova Witness) I often run into athiests who seem to be adiment on converting Christians - or any faith for that matter. I work with one, whom is very admiment in assalting religion of any sort - mainly christianity.

I will attest and spread the word, but I will never force anyone into Christianty; I know this is not a universal standard, but from personal experience, I would say I have run into a 3:1 oppressive athiest to oppressive christian ratio. I define the oppresive nature as being more of a discrediting nature, as in an athiest calling a christian 'stoopidz' or what have you, or vice versa. I work in a more logistical dominated field, so my exposure is prolly no true control to go by. (I agree with BoB - sound post)

Bipper I've never met anybody that has tried to convert somebody to atheism. And randomly insulting religion to a religious person that hasn't made some reference to you about religion is wrong. But if it's a case where you've provoked them by spouting something religious, you can't complain. Not rightfully anyway.

Loony BoB
04-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Here the youngsters don't care enough about religion to even insult it. And they don't know enough about it to do so anyway. So it's really only the religious people you hear talking about religion.
Those people I mentioned that are my friends and mock my religion are, for the most part, Americans. But America is a big place... I don't think any of them live in the "Bible belt" as it seems to be called.

Raistlin
04-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Who mocks you? I think you may not be distinguishing between mocking and discussion (as in, trying to make a point).

bipper
04-25-2006, 05:56 PM
I've never met anybody that has tried to convert somebody to atheism. And randomly insulting religion to a religious person that hasn't made some reference to you about religion is wrong. But if it's a case where you've provoked them by spouting something religious, you can't complain. Not rightfully anyway.

Too vauge. If I pray before I eat (silently) and someone desides to dig into me, that is wrong. I guess you can say I instegated, as I existed in that instansiation of time, there for it is my fault.

Most of the people in which I am refering start off with a gerneralized insult towards Jesus, or some 'fallacy', etc just as one would break the ice for a normal conversation. It is quite common, and as an apologetisist, they usually get pissed when I start defending. From there, a few people have come back to me with a retort of such. I must admit, I am not able to answer every question or attack, but my personal ability is neither here nor there. The fact of the matter is simple, there are a higher ratio of Antivangalists (as I will call em) to Evangalists in my daily enviroment.

Who mocks you? I think you may not be distinguishing between mocking and discussion (as in, trying to make a point).

So much grey area /cry

Bipper

Zante
04-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Some girls in my class once tried to talk me into going to see some great preacher they know, cause they thought he could get me back on the right track. They were afraid for my soul, they said. I found that somewhat funny, though it also was kindna nice that they cared about me. They ment it well, so I didnt realy mind them, we had a nice discussion about religion too.

Anaisa
04-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Too vauge. If I pray before I eat (silently) and someone desides to dig into me, that is wrong. I guess you can say I instegated, as I existed in that instansiation of time, there for it is my fault.
If you pray before you eat your meal and someone decides to bug you about it, I wouldn't say you instigated it. I was refering to a reference to religion that is directed at a non religious person. For example: when I was told that I shouldn't eat my meal at school without saying a prayer before it, I had every right to then turn on the person who said that to me, and tell them how I felt about their religion. But it would have been wrong of me to say the same thing to somebody who was praying before they ate their food, but they weren't telling me that I should pray myself.

LunarWeaver
04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm getting the general impression from all these replies that this problem is largely based on location... While I get assaulted for being an atheist, there are others saying religious people never bring it up to them... Then there are religious people saying atheists assault them!

You probably feel somewhat attacked by the other side depending on which you are, depending on what area you live in.

In the end, this is exactly like all things. It comes down to the people that surround you, not all the people that belong to a specific group. Everybody has different experiences I'm sure...

Though I made it sound like Christians poke me with forks and call me names, it's nothing too serious. For the most part, I can have intelligent non-persuasive discussions and never get into arguments about it. After all, selling your lifestyle is as futile as other's telling you to buy theirs... Nobody's going to change for somebody else "Just Because"... Unless you're Katie Holmes, but that's because Scientology has bitch smacked Khabbala out of the top Celebrity religion spot.

Dreddz
04-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Meh, I asume people like that are just trying to be nice. I dislike the few who cant seem to understand what personal opinions are though. Im an atheist, but I do respect other peoples views on God and such. Its just when some people cant seem to respect my view that there is no God, it really annoys me. Theres only one way that Ill ever turn religous in the slightest, if theres proof.

Itsunari 2000
04-25-2006, 07:29 PM
If anyone asked me ...

Punch them in the face.

Aggressive diplomacy silences all further questions.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-25-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm quite open with the fact that I'm an Athiest, but so far no one has imposed religion on me when I tell them.

fantasyjunkie
04-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I live in Southern California. i have had people knocking on my door trying to get me to join their particular church. Even though I'm athiest, they don't even ask me what my belief is, they just assume that I'm protestant or Catholic and try to explain to me how wrong those faiths are and how their belief is right. I just say "not interested" and shut the door.
In Louisiana where I grew up, which is in the middle of the bible belt, I have been verbally assaulted for not being christian on more than one occasion. My sister, who is a religious nut used to yell and scream at me for not believing in God :rolleyes2

eestlinc
04-25-2006, 09:26 PM
if someone I don't know asks me about my religious views I just tell them they are personal.

also, there's a difference between being an atheist and being a jerk. Atheists don't believe in a god. Jerks try to insult others for their beliefs.

Captain Maxx Power
04-25-2006, 11:15 PM
I was invited to a church as a friend rather than as part of a religious conversion. I've since made some of the best friends I've ever had through this church, though I'm still an atheist (though I'm probably more agnostic these days). I'd say don't be too close-minded about these things, you never know what you may get out of something.

Lost Number
04-25-2006, 11:17 PM
Im atheist and go to a catholic school (thats where the transiton happened). Its not as though im forced to go to the masses and such. Oh no, not them.

SammieBabe
04-26-2006, 12:07 AM
if someone I don't know asks me about my religious views I just tell them they are personal.

also, there's a difference between being an atheist and being a jerk. Atheists don't believe in a god. Jerks try to insult others for their beliefs.

Yeah. I generally try to stay out of religous debates. I've saved alot of friendships and family grief that way...

XxSephirothxX
04-26-2006, 12:12 AM
It's happened to me once, and since I almost never talk about religion with people who aren't my friends, I haven't given it many more chances than that. Living in the bible belt as I do, I know how most people will react, so I just avoid the subject.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
04-26-2006, 01:03 AM
I am open to tell people I am atheist. Nothing of the christian belief just makes sence to me. That and I lost faith........

People shouldn't judge others for their religion though.

For me being an atheist is pretty sad because my grandfather is a minister.

ZeZipster
04-26-2006, 02:26 AM
The only people who try to convert me are close friends and they aren't stupid enough to say anything about "my relationship with God". Oh, and if someone asks me to go to church with them I'll go. Although I've only been to church once and my friend didn't want me to go so he could convert me or anything like that.

Reles
04-26-2006, 04:40 AM
Hahahaha, Most people that know me who are religious have stayed away from asking me to their church, mainly because I'm quite blunt and I'll tell them to go shoot themselves. I don't necessarily think the kind of people I hang out with are completely religious anyway. Plus, we live 5 minutes from eachother, it has nothing to do with being in the bible belt, just who you hang out with.

Dr Unne
04-26-2006, 06:30 AM
I believe in leaving people the heck alone. If someone I don't consider a close friend mentions religion I smile and nod and change the subject or walk away. If someone presses the matter I start pretending that person no longer exists. I know some crazy people of all religions, and I let them be crazy. None of my business.

No one in real life has ever directly asked me what my religion is, likely because I give off an aura that if you ask me I will hurt you. No one has ever invited me to their church, possibly because they wouldn't want me there anyways. If I was invited I'd smile and nod and decline. People may be like that here, but I have yet to encounter any. Most people here hand out fliers on the streets if anything, going for quantity over quality would be my guess.

It's different if I'm at some place where talking about religion is the whole point of course, like various internet forums. Or if a close friend brings up the subject. I really do enjoy talking about it and tend to have strong opinions about it. I don't care about "converting" people, but I like learning and helping people learn, for the sake of learning. I don't think anyone should ever randomly start a conversation about private matters with people they aren't close to though.

black orb
04-26-2006, 06:38 AM
>>> naa.. this (http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0104/ps2.html) is more convincing..