PDA

View Full Version : Manners

Rye
04-26-2006, 01:35 AM
Where, oh where, have manners gone?

I think I am of a dying race. It's called people with manners. When I was brought up as a kid, I was always made to be polite to people, and if I wasn't, I'd get in trouble, as it should be. If I didn't say thank you to someone, my Mom would yell at me for not being polite, and I'd say it and apologize. Are manners a thing of the past or something? :(

I mean, even just saying thank you when someone holds a door open for you. Is it SO hard to do now? That's my biggest pet peeve, when people don't thank you when you do that. I don't really do anything about it besides say "Your welcome" sarcastically to myself, though I think I'd be perfectly justified dragging the person back to the door and smashing their face into it until they learn. Though, I do have manners, so I don't do that.

And the idea that people need to attend manner classes is just dumb. All you need to do is teach your child to say please, thank you, sorry and to not to be obnoxious in public. The latter meaning that if they're in the movie theatre, to not run around and scream, that kind of stuff. That's all. That's ALL I ask.

But I pity the children, as it's not their fault, it's their terrible parents who have no manners and don't even have a part in raising their children, so they dump them in a daycare all day. If you can't take the time to teach your kid to say please and thank you, then you shouldn't be having children. Period. As harsh as that sounds. :p

Please tell me someone feels as I do. Let us share our terrible experiences of people who don't have proper manners. ;________;

Tavrobel
04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
It's called modern America. People can't be taught manners by those who have an immense lack of them. People get lazier and lazier, because technology does everything for us now. If it's out of our way in any bit, one isn't going to jump in and do it. that would be a waste of the effort that we no longer wish to exert. For some reason, people have this concept of being gangsta is cool, and we don't exactly see 50 Cent exerting common courtesies. That would destroy his image. I wouldn't want to say "thank you" to people who shot me.

But, being poor is a good thing?

Although, I try my best. I often do hold doors open for people at my school, not having to go out of my way, but at least I don't shut it in their face. It's been done before to me, but I don't let it get to me. You're not alone, but that's where society is going. Sad, but true. Everyone has some form of mild ADD, or ADHD, these days.

DeathKnight
04-26-2006, 01:44 AM

I think I am of a dying race. It's called people with manners. When I was brought up as a kid, I was always made to be polite to people, and if I wasn't, I'd get in trouble, as it should be. If I didn't say thank you to someone, my Mom would yell at me for not being polite, and I'd say it and apologize. Are manners a thing of the past or something? :(

I mean, even just saying thank you when someone holds a door open for you. Is it SO hard to do now? That's my biggest pet peeve, when people don't thank you when you do that. I don't really do anything about it besides say "Your welcome" sarcastically to myself, though I think I'd be perfectly justified dragging the person back to the door and smashing their face into it until they learn. Though, I do have manners, so I don't do that.

And the idea that people need to attend manner classes is just dumb. All you need to do is teach your child to say please, thank you, sorry and to not to be obnoxious in public. The latter meaning that if they're in the movie theatre, to not run around and scream, that kind of stuff. That's all. That's ALL I ask.

But I pity the children, as it's not their fault, it's their terrible parents who have no manners and don't even have a part in raising their children, so they dump them in a daycare all day. If you can't take the time to teach your kid to say please and thank you, then you shouldn't be having children. Period. As harsh as that sounds. :p

Please tell me someone feels as I do. Let us share our terrible experiences of people who don't have proper manners. ;________;

Rye Rye! you're the babe of the week:cool: :up:

Oh yeah, your question. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah, I know what you mean, back in the days everything had "order" everyone was friendly, people respected other people's feelings (not all though :eep: ) and yeah, socially back in the days (1980s, 1990s as far back as I can go) People were cool. Now people are spoiled, obssessed and fucked up:irked:

Elite Lord Sigma
04-26-2006, 01:44 AM
I try to keep my manners, except if I'm angry at somebody. My younger brother acts like an obnoxious twat at times, annoying me by doing stupid things like turning off my computer when I'm in the middle of chatting, posting on the forums, etc.

Venom
04-26-2006, 01:47 AM
I usually have manners, exception made when I'm mad. Or in the presence of a hot chick.

rubah
04-26-2006, 02:01 AM
It's so cute when guys open your car door for you until they STOP. *glare*

Shoeberto
04-26-2006, 02:07 AM
:cry:

XxSephirothxX
04-26-2006, 02:11 AM
I hate to say it, Rye, but I'm one of your people without proper manners. :p I don't deliberately snub people, but I probably don't always thank them when I should. As for some things, like table manners, (having this fork here and using this fork for dessert and this one for salad and this spoon for soup) I think they're just antiquated and retarded, and I have no intention to follow them. I'm not much for chivalry, either.

Miriel
04-26-2006, 02:14 AM

They all stop though. Every single one of 'em stops eventually. :p

Samuraid
04-26-2006, 02:38 AM
Some manners are significant, some are just cumbersome. I think people in general are just lazier and don't want to bother with exercising good manners. I've personally had times where manners seemed like too much of a bother.

Stayin Dizzy
04-26-2006, 02:45 AM
I know my manners I just don't mind them. Theres a time and a place for formalities, typically in public, but I try to be myself and realistic. I'm nice to everyone, but I'm just as quick to tell someone to F off

Madame Adequate
04-26-2006, 02:52 AM
Manners don't bother me much, so long as people are courteous.

Ramza Beoulve
04-26-2006, 03:12 AM
I have manners, but I don't care for a prize...

Think this:

When you open the door to someone, you do it for a "thanks" or for self respect?, actually, if you do it for the thanks, you don't have a lot of manners, just have "gentle" actitude.

But when you do it just because you want to, and don't care about the answer of the others, then you are great ;)

Just be yourself, don't care about the answer of others, with the just feeling of have done a good action, that should be your prize, don't you think? ;)

Godspeed :moomba:

rubah
04-26-2006, 03:14 AM
They all stop though. Every single one of 'em stops eventually. :p
Yeah, he didn't STOP until we were out with my PARENTS. way to be impressive there~;]

mooglebunni608
04-26-2006, 03:16 AM
I have manners... I just stop using them when people piss me of :(
but I still chew with my mouth closed :D

Reles
04-26-2006, 04:23 AM
I think I'd rather be shown that someone is sorry, or thankful, instead of them saying it. There are a lot of people who say thank you or please, but they don't actually MEAN it, because you tell by how they say it. It's like a robot, who's been programmed to say it, but not feel it. But I understand what you're saying and I agree. But like I'm my own MILF said, it's being courteous that matters.

friedpork
04-26-2006, 04:26 AM
I hate to say it, Rye, but I'm one of your people without proper manners. :p I don't deliberately snub people, but I probably don't always thank them when I should. As for some things, like table manners, (having this fork here and using this fork for dessert and this one for salad and this spoon for soup) I think they're just antiquated and retarded, and I have no intention to follow them. I'm not much for chivalry, either.

same with me.

fire_of_avalon
04-26-2006, 04:26 AM

Think this:

When you open the door to someone, you do it for a "thanks" or for self respect?, actually, if you do it for the thanks, you don't have a lot of manners, just have "gentle" actitude.

But when you do it just because you want to, and don't care about the answer of the others, then you are great ;)

Just be yourself, don't care about the answer of others, with the just feeling of have done a good action, that should be your prize, don't you think? ;)

Word up scary avatar guy.

Another example of horrible manners, I think, is when people talk about other people behind their back non-stop, or when people mock other people for any reason at all. I don't think there's ever a justified reason to mock someone, and I think it's an example of terrible manners and a terrible upbringing to do something like that.

Miriel
04-26-2006, 04:48 AM
I think people who use their cell phones while at the table are displaying horrible manners. I don't mean picking up a phone and chatting for a few seconds and then hanging up. I'm talking about going out to dinner with a group of people and having a nice conversation going when one of your friends picks up their cell and decides to have a LOUD 5 minute chat while everyone sorta sits and listens cause talking loudly over this person is also a bit rude. If you're gonna talk on the phone for more than 30 seconds, excuse yourself from the table and take your conversation elsewhere.

And this is especially true when you go out with family or grandparents. It's just rude to subject others to your inane one-sided cell phone conversations.

Kirobaito
04-26-2006, 06:12 AM
I have table manners but choose not to use them because it's too much work.

I have to hold the door open for people when I can and have to say thank you when someone does it for me, because it's been ingrained in my skull from birth.

I notice when people don't say thank you to me when I do this. And I <i>never</i> forget it.

Ramza Beoulve
04-26-2006, 06:21 AM
What is "word up", fiery shield avy girl? n.nU sorry, I have a crappy english n.nU

Rye
04-26-2006, 11:49 AM

Think this:

I don't do it for the thanks, I do it to be nice, but it bugs me when I go out of my way to do things, and people don't thank me like I would thank them.

And anyone who says that they don't get a tiny bit annoyed at least when you open a door for someone and they don't even smile a thanks at you is lying. :p

fire_of_avalon
04-26-2006, 12:33 PM
I think people who use their cell phones while at the table are displaying horrible manners. I don't mean picking up a phone and chatting for a few seconds and then hanging up. I'm talking about going out to dinner with a group of people and having a nice conversation going when one of your friends picks up their cell and decides to have a LOUD 5 minute chat while everyone sorta sits and listens cause talking loudly over this person is also a bit rude. If you're gonna talk on the phone for more than 30 seconds, excuse yourself from the table and take your conversation elsewhere.

And this is especially true when you go out with family or grandparents. It's just rude to subject others to your inane one-sided cell phone conversations.
omg you're my hero. I tried to explain this to my boyfriend and he tried to tell me I was full of crap.

Ramza, word up is my way of agreeing with you. xD

And Rye, I disagree with you about the lying thing. I hold doors for people all the time and I don't really care one way or the other if they say thanks or not. It's not like I'm just going to let the door slam back on them if they don't say thanks. In some cases, the courtesy is implied, I think.

Also, it's improper manners to call someone a liar! ;)

Anaisa
04-26-2006, 12:36 PM

I hate that. It's only ever my mother who does it to me, but it's so ignorant. I also hate it when people interrupt when other people are talking. Wait your turn! If somebody doesn't say thank you if I hold a door open for them etc, I will comment on what a disgrace I think they are. And anybody who bumps in to me and doesn't apologise, if they are still in close proximity I will walk up to them and bash into them.

Shaun
04-26-2006, 12:39 PM
My workplace is a generally friendly atmosphere, but my college is not. I guess it depends on the background of the people, but 90% of youths are ignorant.

Itsunari 2000
04-26-2006, 01:41 PM
I extend common courtesies without thinking. It's ingrained in me, almost.

Well, I'm SICK OF IT.

Next time I will slam the door in someone's face instead of holding it for them and laugh quietly to myself as I strut away down the corridor, cool as they come.:cool: :D If their stupid relatives come after me, let's say for example their pudgy, bald uncle and whining nark of an aunt with a chronic smoking problem, I'll beat the crap out of them. Then the mall security guard, who invariably weighs 250 pounds and has a gray mustache, will bounce along swinging his stupid baton and I'll take it out of his hand and beat his ass with it before decapitating him with a spectacular roundhouse that will leave the collective public in awe. The moral of this story is, nobody fucks around with me and lives.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

smittenkitten
04-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I love it when a guy has manner's, I like getting pampered but what woman does'nt :rolleyes2: I think I am polite it's the wayI was brought up ex. hold the door for someone, help someone if they drop something I actually asked this old lady if she was ok getting across the street but I don't know if that's manners. :greenie:

NeoCracker
04-26-2006, 03:47 PM

Another example of horrible manners, I think, is when people talk about other people behind their back non-stop, or when people mock other people for any reason at all. I don't think there's ever a justified reason to mock someone, and I think it's an example of terrible manners and a terrible upbringing to do something like that.
But I love mocking people :cry:

Slightly more seriously I'd rather someone not say thanks if they don't mean it, thats just plain rude to do. But I mostly agree with Milf.

Cz
04-26-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't really care if people don't thank me for something, or if their manners aren't absolutely spot on. One of the terrible things about being English is the awkwardness of the "After you, no after you, oh but I insist" conversation, which is what happens when people are brought up to be polite and courteous all the time. I'd be happy to simply dispense with it all entirely. I mean, it's obvious that someone appreciates it when you hold a door for them, or let them pull out of a junction, it isn't really necessary to say it.

This doesn't mean I'm willing to let rudeness slide, of course. Uncaring or thoughtless people are extremely irritating. But meaningless, everyday manners don't really matter to me.

Ramza Beoulve
04-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Ramza, word up is my way of agreeing with you. xD

And Rye, I disagree with you about the lying thing. I hold doors for people all the time and I don't really care one way or the other if they say thanks or not. It's not like I'm just going to let the door slam back on them if they don't say thanks. In some cases, the courtesy is implied, I think.

Also, it's improper manners to call someone a liar! ;)
n.nU upsss haha, and yup, I agree with you too in the lying thing n.n

Zeldy
04-26-2006, 06:09 PM
My parents always went on to me about Manners and I always say Please and Thankyou.

Im so polite to my friends parents its unbelievable xD Just a simple thing like saying "Yes Please" or "No Thankyou" leaves a really good impression.

Evastio
04-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I know what you mean. All people without manners should be skinned alive and have their jaw chainsawed off.

I would share my experiences with people without manners, but there's too many to count.

Lost Number
04-26-2006, 07:56 PM
My manners are directly relative to 2 factors - my temper and whether or not the person themselves shows manners. Since i am usually angry and few people have manners, rarely do I show them.

Luther X-Rated
04-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Hmmm...I would say on a daily basis I show little or no manners at all.

I am very polite to elders and other polite people.

Any other Puntos! Forget it! They would kill me for the little money I had if they
had the chance : I

Yuna-Lenne
04-26-2006, 08:47 PM
I sometimes get annoyed at myself because it feels I have too many manners. -_- I say "pardon" instead of what and I say thankyou to people at shop counters when they take what I'm buying, hand me the change, hand me the receipt AND then the bag, xD! so three to four times. :eep: I open doors for people often and never push past people in the corridoors, which sometimes means I'm waiting for ages for them all to move. It's also partly due to being quite nervous. If people push past me I don't comment either. I sometimes end up waiting for ages for tonnes of people to come out of a door so I can get inside one of the school buildings, xD! It really annoys me when people don't even say thanks! -_- But I've been brought up to have immaculate manners. When I was young, we were even told off at school if we held our fork the wrong way! -_- Geez. Ah well!

Chaos
04-26-2006, 08:51 PM
I alwyas try and be polite. I hate it when people are rude....I can take rudeness if I like the person and we are friends....say a mate going 'oi, idiot, pass me *insert object here*. Thats fine...but whenever I'm around people I don't know I'm formal. I hold doors open for people, help people with luggage if I can see they need help and I make a concious effort to carry this over in my driving too...I hate rude road-users.

One thing that I dislike is people taking liberties with food...eh, its an odd thing I know, but no matter how well I know someone I can't stand them taking my food without asking. Even if its bestest ever friend, if they try and snaffle some of whatever food I am currently eating without asking...oooh there is trouble.

Anyway yeah, food aside, I like manners....treat people how you want to be treated. I don't hold with this 'be nice to people if they are nice to you, and be rude to them if they are rude to you lark..' If someone is rude to you, smile politley, get the moral high ground and dont give them the satisfaction of seeing you make a tit out of yourself, because you'll both go away from the encounter thinking 'omg, how rude were they....?!' Counter-productive.
Anyway, I'm not making sense now, so I'll stop....

Yuna-Lenne
04-26-2006, 08:55 PM
One thing that I dislike is people taking liberties with food...eh, its an odd thing I know, but no matter how well I know someone I can't stand them taking my food without asking. Even if its bestest ever friend, if they try and snaffle some of whatever food I am currently eating without asking...oooh there is trouble.

Ugh, my dad does that!!! It really gets on my nerves, and I end up swearing at him...there is a plus though, I don't get told off for shouting at him, cause my mum HATES it when he takes food from other peoples plates. :cool:

Crop
04-26-2006, 09:03 PM

Thank you for posing this, you deserve one of crops rare usernotes.

Anyway, I agree, im very polite to people when they give me things or do something for me. There is some goodness in the world, just the other day me and a friend got onto a bus, they dont give out change and it costs £2:00 together (£1 on our own) we only had a five pound note so we just reluctantly gave him that. We sat down and a women whom I had never seen before gave us change from her own pocket, I did try and stop her but she insisted. That wasnt really manners but good hearted.

And one time my mum held the door open for a man and woman and they didnt even say anything so when they walked back in I slammed the door shut just when they were about to come in. But they deserved it.

Anaisa
04-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Anyway yeah, food aside, I like manners....treat people how you want to be treated. I don't hold with this 'be nice to people if they are nice to you, and be rude to them if they are rude to you lark..' If someone is rude to you, smile politley, get the moral high ground and dont give them the satisfaction of seeing you make a tit out of yourself, because you'll both go away from the encounter thinking 'omg, how rude were they....?!' Counter-productive.
Anyway, I'm not making sense now, so I'll stop....
You don't have to "make a tit out of yourself" to treat people the way they deserve to be treated. Things must be different where you live to where I do. Because here they get their satisfaction from the fact that they can be as ill mannered as they like and people haven't got the guts to say anything to their face about it.

Levian
04-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Manners schmanners. I eat with my fingers, and curse at any given occation. Hell, I'll curse for no reason at all.

faster skating penguin
04-27-2006, 12:12 AM
Of course, I am a polite, urbane gentleman with enormous genitalia to boot.

Madonna
04-27-2006, 01:37 AM
I'd chime in with a "Haven't you people ever heard of closing a goddamn door?!?"

It's impolite to talk about gripes, complaints, and general angst so publically, as well as so immodestly crying out something akin to, "Yes! I'm a polite person and I will rag on some other people with you!"

Shiny
04-27-2006, 02:22 AM

Tell me about it. Today I was walking in the hallways of my school and I had to walk through this area to go to my locker, but this guy was blocking my way. I said, "Excuse me." He didn't move, because I don't think he heard me but I proceeded to walk through politely trying to squeeze through without touching him. Then the unthinkable happens; the guy's elbow came in contact with my forehead. It was then that he finally realized I was trying to get through. So he laughed and said, "Where are you walking?" As if it's my fault I just got pounded in the face. He didn't even apologize or say excuse me. Even if he had said nothing it would have been better than laughing in my face.

Hambone
04-27-2006, 03:47 AM
I use my manners! because if I don't I get in serious trouble... shut up!

dirkdirden
04-27-2006, 04:40 AM
I don't like maners.

they are a false image of who people really are.

I have maners out of habbit, but when I'm holding a door open for someone I am thinking in my head "i wish they would Hurry up or die so I could stop holding this damn door for there lazy ass", and to them it looks like I a nice guy when really I'm a jerk who wishes them harm.

NeoCracker
04-27-2006, 04:48 AM
I don't feel like quoting whoever said this, but they menitoned saying thanks to a guy who sells them something.
What possessed people to start saying thanks? They guy selling you something is in no way being a nice person or being polite, he is doing it so some other dude will pay him money. The chances are they are not even themselves when they sell you something because of the Job, so a thanks is hollow and pointless there. I still do it only out of force of habbit, but I know the guy could care less if I say thanks or not. Usually they want you there and out as fast as possible unless you get along.

Anaisa
04-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I don't feel like quoting whoever said this, but they menitoned saying thanks to a guy who sells them something.
What possessed people to start saying thanks? They guy selling you something is in no way being a nice person or being polite, he is doing it so some other dude will pay him money. The chances are they are not even themselves when they sell you something because of the Job, so a thanks is hollow and pointless there. I still do it only out of force of habbit, but I know the guy could care less if I say thanks or not. Usually they want you there and out as fast as possible unless you get along.
I think the worst case of that is when people get off a bus and say thank you to the driver! He's doing a job that he's paid to do. He's not doing you any favours.

Shaun
04-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Heh. I often say thanks on the bus, but when I think about it that way, I probably shouldn't.

Anaisa
04-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Heh. I often say thanks on the bus, but when I think about it that way, I probably shouldn't.
Stop now Shaun, it's never too late. (until you're dead that is, then obviously it's too late)

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
04-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I hate it when people let doors close in your face. i hold doors open as i go through them even if theres noone there... it's just a habit :S and I hate it when people leave my bedroom door open.

Angel Heart
04-27-2006, 01:17 PM
I always say please and thanks, it's the way i've been brought up. It's nice to see people smile after you've said thank you, although i've never said it too a bus driver. :)

What possessed people to start saying thanks? They guy selling you something is in no way being a nice person or being polite, he is doing it so some other dude will pay him money. The chances are they are not even themselves when they sell you something because of the Job, so a thanks is hollow and pointless there. I still do it only out of force of habbit, but I know the guy could care less if I say thanks or not. Usually they want you there and out as fast as possible unless you get along.:mad: Just because it's their job dosen't mean you can't be polite, most decent people say thank you after they've bought something from a shop.

Shoden
04-27-2006, 04:10 PM
pffft, screw manners. Adults who bitch on and on about manners and politeness bores and annoys me. All it is "stop that, it's bad manners" pfft, so what, I can do it if I like, it aint illegal.