PDA

View Full Version : Google Image Search

Roto13
04-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Lately, whenever I try to use Google to search for images, I get blank thumbnails. I've cleared my history and my cache, but it hasn't fixed it. Also, I followed a link to a Google Image search that was already performed, and the thumbs were there. It seems that they're only missing when I search myself. Anyone have any ideas?

rubah
04-26-2006, 10:48 PM
Our school's filtering gives lots of red x's when image searching there. Do you have anything like that?

Roto13
04-27-2006, 01:09 AM
Nope, no red X's. Just blue outlines with white in them. Pic here.

ZeZipster
04-27-2006, 01:32 AM
Nope, no red X's. Just blue outlines with white in them. Pic here.

Are you at a school or on a LAN though? That'd be my first guess. Did you try any other browsers? That'd be my second guess. After that I'm stumped.

Leeza
04-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Is it possible that they're maybe still loading?

Samuraid
04-27-2006, 04:07 AM
Are you using any firewall or filter software, such as Zonealarm, by chance?

Roto13
04-27-2006, 04:58 AM
@ZeZipster: I'm using my laptop with a wireless connection at home. It was working until a short time ago. This only started a few days ago.

*tries another browser*

Alright, it works with Internet Explorer, but lord knows I don't want to switch to that whenever I want to find an image. The problem must be with Firefox itself.

@Leeza: Nope, it's a high speed connection, and they simply never show up.

@Samuraid: No filter softwear, and a firewall comes standard with Windows XP, right? I'm either using that one or a Norton Antivirus one. I'm not sure. I don't think it's the firewall, though.

Samuraid
04-27-2006, 06:36 AM
Ok, just checking. I'm not sure what could be causeing the problem at the moment.

crono_logical
04-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Does running Firefox in Safe Mode from the Start Menu make any difference? It could be a misconfigured plugin or something :p

Hawkeye
04-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Try google.fr

o_O
04-27-2006, 08:19 PM
Make sure that when you go to Tools > Options > Web Features, that "Load Images" is ticked, and "For the originating website only" is not ticked.

Roto13
04-27-2006, 08:42 PM
I just realised that Google redirects itself to Google.ca. Someone go to google.ca and try the image search, and tell me if it works for you.

@cl_out: I tried Safe Mode, and it didn't make a difference.

@Being Retarded: I just tried Google.fr, and it seems to be working.

@o_O: I just checked, and it's set the right way.

Mirage
04-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Google.ca works fine for me. And see what the second result for "lol" was:
http://killy.0.free.fr/ff11/et%20une%20autre%20lol.JPG
That really is l<b></b>o<i></i>l.
And thanks a fucking lot for that censor. It's impossible to avoid it without breaking the URL. Some smart staff member needs to turn it off when the URL vB tag is used.

Shiny
04-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Hmm, that's odd. Did you try clicking on one of them to see if the pictures will comes up anyway? Did you reload the page to see if it works? Or just try yahoo, or dogpile instead.

Roto13
04-28-2006, 01:51 AM
If I click on an image, the page it comes from loads, but the thumbnail in the frame on top doesn't. If I click on the thumbnail to go directly to the image, then it loads. It looks like I'm going to have to use Yahoo from now on, even though it sucks >_>

Shiny
04-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Oh well google seems to be being a pain. Sense it doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your laptop it must be the browser. It does this to me from time to time although when I reload the page it works. What pictures are you trying to get? Maybe I can upload them for you.

Roto13
04-28-2006, 02:28 AM
There's nothing I'm looking for at the moment, but I'm a forum whore so I'm always looking for something. I'll just have to use Yahoo. Thanks.

crono_logical
04-29-2006, 02:57 AM
It doesn't work on google.ca but does on google.fr? That's interesting :p

Google redirects you to google.blah depending on your country unless you tell it not to - in my case, I always get redirected to google.co.uk :p