PDA

View Full Version : Net Neutrality

Elite Lord Sigma
04-26-2006, 09:28 PM
Net neutrality, for those that don't know, is basically the 1st Amendment equivalent for the Internet. It states something along the lines of "ISPs cannot discriminate which web sites load quickest, etc."

Now in America, Congress might take that right away.

I can't explain it too well, but here (http://www.savetheinternet.com) is a place that can.

I personally believe that this is a right that should be protected, and anybody stupid enough to be against it has lost my vote in elections, if they are still in politics when I'm old enough to do so.

Loony BoB
04-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Only in America!

theundeadhero
04-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Look what's happened to your hair BoB. It's standing straight up on end!

While few politicians have supported this, fewer less have opposed this, and the majority are yet undecided :(

Tavrobel
04-26-2006, 10:07 PM
It is, at the least, a challenging concept. While both good and bad could come from this, just about anyone who uses the internet frequently would oppose this, except for the companies, who stand to make, what...
$100 MEEEEEEEEE-LLION DOLLARS!

I strongly believe in the concept of web neutrality. This entire bill is a very obvious seed of the corruption of Capitalism, and the revoking of internet rights, which in no way are at all different from rights in the real world. To me, the internet is a forum... a gigantic forum where one can speak his thoughts, or put something up for their own amusement. Of course, bad things can occur (malicious code, viruses, Trojans, etc.). While it COULD have been made to protect the best interests of the surfer, this is an abomination in my opinion, and I can find it very difficult to see this from any other point of view.

This would essentially rob anyone who was poor of the ability to post something online, or speak to his friend, simply because he could not pay a corrupt, Communist company. Only the monopoly would reign supreme, and is hypocritical of the origins of this country, which was founded on the basis of freedom... any freedom, a freedom of the small to defeat the small in the hands of persecution and tyranny. Yeah, Taxes, you can get arrested for, but Taxes are used to maintain MANY things, for the good of the public. I can see no other way that this would benefit the phone/internet companies, than to feed their considerable pockets. Unfortunately, people tend to be swayed by the concept of dead presidents, and a form of trade revolving around something, which in essence, is worth NOTHING, and is NOTHING, a mere throwaway commodity.

Levian
04-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Oh well.

nik0tine
04-26-2006, 10:47 PM
This would essentially rob anyone who was poor of the ability to post something online, or speak to his friend, simply because he could not pay a corrupt, Communist company.What?

Tavrobel
04-26-2006, 10:54 PM
What?

Why?

edczxcvbnm
04-26-2006, 11:47 PM
What drives a state to be neutral? At least if they are your enemy you know where they stand but neutral...you don't know if they will be your friend or your foe....you just don't know what to think.

I doubt anything would happen if this law was passed. Do you know how many calls ISPs would get complaining about slow speeds? It would cost them more money in the end.