PDA

View Full Version : Amano Working on Final Fantasy XIII

Crossblades
04-27-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2006/042606d.html

In a recent interview with French magazine Japan Vibes, acclaimed character designer Yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka Amano made mention of his current work on a few different projects, including Final Fantasy XIII. This is one of the first real acknowledgements of the game's development, though no official announcements have been made regarding it.

Amano did not discuss his exact role in its development, nor did he mention any details concerning the game's format or platform choice. With E3 only weeks away, Square Enix will likely reserve any further information for the upcoming event.

DeathKnight
04-27-2006, 07:45 PM
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2006/042606d.html

In a recent interview with French magazine Japan Vibes, acclaimed character designer Yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka Amano made mention of his current work on a few different projects, including Final Fantasy XIII. This is one of the first real acknowledgements of the game's development, though no official announcements have been made regarding it.

Amano did not discuss his exact role in its development, nor did he mention any details concerning the game's format or platform choice. With E3 only weeks away, Square Enix will likely reserve any further information for the upcoming event.

Fucking great!:cool:

Best thing 'bout this game is that it's being made by the FFX team:choc2:

FF in PlayStation3's graphical glory.........man I can't wait to see how great the graphics and character emotions of this game are gonna look. FFVII's demo thing for PlayStation3 has me psyched!

Loony BoB
04-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Best thing 'bout this game is that it's being made by the FFXIII team:choc2:
Well, yes, games generally are being made by the team making them. :p

Looking forward to seeing something to do with the game (outside of "we're working on it"). :)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2006, 09:14 PM
This is like Danny Elfman saying, "Yeah, I'm working on the next Tim Burton movie."

Loony BoB
04-27-2006, 09:18 PM
This is like Danny Elfman saying, "Yeah, I'm working on the next Tim Burton movie."
Still, it signifies that work is actually being done. I think this is the first official word of FFXIII, is it not?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2006, 09:24 PM
You can prettymuch assume that the next Final Fantasy is being worked on as soon as the current one is released, or even prior to that if a different team is handling it. This is not news.

scooby
04-27-2006, 09:32 PM
OMG! I can't believe that Yo/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifaka Amano's name has been censored! :hahaha:

I am soooo stupid....

Loony BoB
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
You can prettymuch assume that the next Final Fantasy is being worked on as soon as the current one is released, or even prior to that if a different team is handling it. This is not news.
It's newsworthy enough for me. It lets you know of the first "team" member involved in Final Fantasy XIII, and it's the first open acknowledgement that it's being worked on... which is always a big thing for any FF fan, as far as I'm concerned.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-27-2006, 09:51 PM
But it's just saying something that everyone with any sense already knows. Amano has worked on every single game in the main series to date.

Loony BoB
04-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Don't rain on the parade, man! This is better than hearing nothing. :p Which is all we'd heard before now.

marc
04-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Amanos stuff is kool.
I adore his drawings for FF9 escpecially.

Zeromus_X
04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
So..is he the character designer, or is he just doing conceptual artwork? Well, I hope he'll be the character designer...:cat:

LunarWeaver
04-27-2006, 11:05 PM
So..is he the character designer, or is he just doing conceptual artwork? Well, I hope he'll be the character designer...:cat:

I'm going to get yelled at for this, but I'm a bigger fan of Nomura. His crazy, impracticle outfits with all the zippers and leather... Delicous! I guess I'm one of the few that likes his sense of style...

Not that IX (Or VI or number number..) had bad character designs. IX is one of the Best.Games.Ever.O_o. after all.

Call my lotsa names, but I love Nomura's spikey haired bishies :D

*Draws a target on himself for all the anti's... Hit the middle and gain one "Let me guess, you came in at SEVEN -SNEEZE-" freebie!*

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 03:27 AM
Well, not that I hate Nomura's style (his menu portraits are so purty), I just prefer Amano's colourful, sketchy art style. Although Nomura's belt fetish is pretty entertaining. I also like the Tactics designer's style (name?). I haven't really seen much of this new guy's style, but I don't remember his name anyway.

DeathKnight
04-28-2006, 03:29 AM
Best thing 'bout this game is that it's being made by the FFXIII team:choc2:
Well, yes, games generally are being made by the team making them. :p

Looking forward to seeing something to do with the game (outside of "we're working on it"). :)

AH! I meant meant FFX team!

"Best thing 'bout this game is that it's being made by the FFX team:choc2:"

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Belt fetish ahahaha... Too true.

I think XII's Character Designer's name is Yoshida..I would look it up at wikipedia but then I'd have to my hand aaalll the way from the keyboard to the mouse and such effort would kill me.

I like all three a lot, I just like Nomura the best. He injects all his character's with a special dose of Sexy.

Ballistix Man
04-28-2006, 03:33 AM
I really dont think DeathKnight really has seen much of Amano's art. I mean he has stated his dislike of bishies a lot and Amano's art is full of bishies.

DeathKnight
04-28-2006, 03:41 AM
I really dont think DeathKnight really has seen much of Amano's art. I mean he has stated his dislike of bishies a lot and Amano's art is full of bishies.

Well I have faith in him changing his way. But in all realiaty I don't care what he does, what I care 'bout is WHICH FF team is the one making the game, and if I'm right it's the one that made FFX

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Jeez, don't just call him over here!

Anyway, so is it unknown if he's the character designer or what? He's done conceptual artwork for all of the main-numbered games, and the logos for each, so it's not like that's new. If he's the character designer, then it'd be somewhat important. :cat:

Edit: Too late.

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 03:44 AM

Anyway, so is it unknown if he's the character designer or what? He's done conceptual artwork for all of the main-numbered games, and the logos for each, so it's not like that's new. If he's the character designer, then it'd be somewhat important. :cat:

Edit: Too late.

One can only hope the new logo is even larger then XII's...

GIGANTIC CHOCOBO NINJA as the logo, what else?

Del Murder
04-28-2006, 05:50 AM

Knock that crap off. Anyone can post in any thread.

Loony BoB
04-28-2006, 07:38 AM
what I care 'bout is WHICH FF team is the one making the game, and if I'm right it's the one that made FFX
Where did you hear that?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-28-2006, 08:32 AM
It's been rumored for quite a while that Kitase and Nomura will be producing and designing for FFXIII.

Larahl
04-28-2006, 10:47 AM
It was obvious after that perfect score at Famitsu that Square Enix will be working on FFXIII.
Though I'm glad we can hear about it and not just guess...

As much as I like Amano's original style, I'll be more than happy to see Nomura doing the Character Designing for FFXIII.

PS3 graphics' zippers, weee... :tongue:

Prancing Mad
04-28-2006, 12:11 PM
No way! THEY'RE GONNA DEVELOP A 13th?

DeathKnight
04-28-2006, 04:09 PM
what I care 'bout is WHICH FF team is the one making the game, and if I'm right it's the one that made FFX
Where did you hear that?

Yoshinori Kitase Talks Final Fantasy PS3
The guy overseeing all FFVII games talks about his next big project..
by Anoop Gantayat
June 10, 2005 - The latest issue of Japan's Dengeki PlayStation magazine features a short interview with Square Enix executive producer Yoshinori Kitase. Kitase previously worked on Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X and is now overseeing four titles in the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII series. He also, as revealed in the interview, seems to have a hand in the upcoming PS3 Final Fantasy game.

On that subject, Kitase is first asked to comment on the Final Fantasy VII real-time introduction clip that was shown at the Sony press conference. He reveals that the clip was made just prior to the conference and he, at first, didn't think it could be done. He summoned Koji Sugimoto, the main programmer for Final Fantasy X, and he and his team were able to create the demo in a one and a half month period. According to Kitase, given more time, it would be possible to make a higher quality, better-looking demo. He expresses surprise that, even though they didn't come close to making full use of the PS3 hardware, they were able to get as far as they did.

At the Sony press conference, Square Enix president Yoichi Wada revealed that Final Fantasy would be coming to the PlayStation 3. Questioned about this, Kitase states that he can offer no comment aside from the fact that Final Fantasy is being developed for the system. As a hint, he states that the Final Fantasy VII demo was created with himself as director working with a staff that included Motomu Toriyama, director of Final Fantasy X. He suggests that we imagine something along those lines.

Kitase's closing comments suggest that the PlayStation 3 Final Fantasy game is being developed by some offshoot of the team that created Final Fantasy X. This wouldn't be too surprising, given that Final Fantasy XII is being developed by a group different from those who made FFX and FFX-2.

While details on the PlayStation 3 Final Fantasy are probably a ways off, we expect to learn more about the other Final Fantasy titles at Square Enix's big game event, set to kick off exclusively in Japan on July 30. Of course, we'll, pass on everything we learn to you.

Source: IGN.com

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 04:54 PM
You know I love them all so much, choosing a favorite was hard for me... But in the end Final Fantasy X is my top game of the bunch. Linear like a tube but awesome to the 20th degree.

So if the X team is truly handling XIII like all this evidence points to, I am pretty damn excited.

But then I have to wonder... Kitase and Nomura say a FF7 remake would take too long due to "current" projects, but they have enough time to make XIII? Oh well, who am I to complain!

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 05:02 PM
If the X team is working on it..hm...

Maybe it won't be another real-time game! I sure hope so. :cat:

I still think it's kinda funny that FFXII hasn't been released outside of Japan, and now we're talking about FFXIII. :p :cat:

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 06:13 PM
We are all kind of jumping the gun, but it's fun to muse XIII I guess.

I have read here and there a few times the X team didn't want random encounters or a battle screen of any kind, similar to XII. But they didn't have enough time or the system wasn't "powerful" enough or some lie or another so it didn't get done.

This leads me to believe Square will keep with the enemies on screen. I really, really doubt it will be as automated as XII though. I don't see why I can't run up to an enemy, pull out all my weapons, have ATB bars fill and all three menus pop up right next to each other when they are full... Similar to X-2 I guess but without the SHAAAATTER of battle.

Here's to hoping the lead in XIII is a female and the boy gets the backseat Hi-yo! :moomba:

Loony BoB
04-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I hope it doesn't end up too much like FFX. But as LunarWeaver pointed out, it's so far away that we can't really expect or assume anything yet.

Here's to hoping the lead in XIII is a female and the boy gets the backseat Hi-yo! :moomba:
They already did that in VIII and X anyway. ;)

KoShiatar
04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm not excited by the mere existence of Final Fantasy XIII as much as by Amano working on it. Yay!

LunarWeaver
04-29-2006, 01:55 AM
I hope it doesn't end up too much like FFX. But as LunarWeaver pointed out, it's so far away that we can't really expect or assume anything yet.

Ack, VIII and X were the worst of the bunch. Ladies too dependent on the fellows :P Though that can be rather argued in either case, and Yuna was nothin' to sneeze that's for sure.

I mean for XIII a wussy white mage male that clings to his warrior-girlfriend that shows up to save the day. Delicious. Square would never do such a thing though... They wouldn't put themselves through the "Main character in XIII is gay" onslaught of E-mails :p

Zeromus_X
04-29-2006, 02:15 AM
I have read here and there a few times the X team didn't want random encounters or a battle screen of any kind, similar to XII. But they didn't have enough time or the system wasn't "powerful" enough or some lie or another so it didn't get done.

This leads me to believe Square will keep with the enemies on screen. I really, really doubt it will be as automated as XII though. I don't see why I can't run up to an enemy, pull out all my weapons, have ATB bars fill and all three menus pop up right next to each other when they are full... Similar to X-2 I guess but without the SHAAAATTER of battle.

Me too. I most likely believe that they'll keep to the system FFXI/XII has, though it's not surprising it they go back to ATB either.

And yes, what you've said is true, according to an interview with one of the developers (Testu Tsukamoto, the monster designer for FFX) in the strategy guide.

We planned on a major reworking of the look of combat, but due to hardware-and system-related issures, it ended up pretty much the same. We planned on having wandering monsters that would approach and assault the party, freedom of movement during combat, and a seamless transition into every battle. We even designed monsters especially for these features. They'd mimic characters' actionas, become invisible, and attack from different levels of the landscape. Oh well, there's always next time.

How eerily specific when he says 'next time'. :cat:

LunarWeaver
04-29-2006, 02:20 AM
See everybody! I don't just make this crap up!

Thank God for non-lazy people that provide evidence for me...

Loony BoB
04-29-2006, 02:33 AM

Ack, VIII and X were the worst of the bunch. Ladies too dependent on the fellows :P Though that can be rather argued in either case, and Yuna was nothin' to sneeze that's for sure.

I mean for XIII a wussy white mage male that clings to his warrior-girlfriend that shows up to save the day. Delicious. Square would never do such a thing though... They wouldn't put themselves through the "Main character in XIII is gay" onslaught of E-mails :p
I think you completely missed my point. :)

LunarWeaver
04-29-2006, 02:43 AM
Oh? Was the point that the leading lady's were better then the males in overall cool factor?

*Looks over his head, and sees all kinds of points flying by*

My, I miss a lot of points.

Loony BoB
04-29-2006, 02:44 AM
Oh? Was the point that the leading lady's were better then the males in overall cool factor?

My point was that Squall and Tidus both were far, far too feminine looking for my liking. :p

LunarWeaver
04-29-2006, 02:45 AM
Oh that, well I'm in denial about all things negative relating to Tidus so I'm immune to understanding the obvious when it comes to him.

DeathKnight
04-29-2006, 11:11 PM

My point was that Squall and Tidus both were far, far too feminine looking for my liking. :p

add Vaan to the TOP that list

And to say that Tidus ans Squall look femenine is like saying "60% of caucasian males look femenine" well it's quite true if you ask me.

valentine
04-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I really don't get why everyone keeps complaining about "girly" looking main characters. Especially how people can say "I'm glad X is doing character designs rather than Y. Maybe now they won't be so girly!"

Yoshi.taka Amano designed the characters for I-VI, and IX. People complain that his designs are too "girly."

Tetsuya Nomura designed characters for VII, VIII, X, and the humes and elvaans for XI. People complain that his desgins are too "girly."

Yoshida Akihiko designed characters for XII. People complained that his designs are too "girly."

What else is there left?? Stop complaining and just enjoy the games!

Also to the guy saying that Amano has worked on all Final Fantasies. The reason why this is such big news is because of how he says it, it makes it seem as if he will be doing actual character designs again, not just the logo. Although, no one will really be sure until we see the artwork for the game, or until square-enix confirms it.

Also, while he has done the logo for each game, correct me if I'm wrong but I have yet to see any other Amano art for FFXII.

Zeromus_X
04-29-2006, 11:38 PM
It's a sure thing that Amano will/has done conceptual artwork for FFXII, besides the logo. (At least I see no reason why he'd just stop doing artwork.) He's even done work for FFXI, so it's pretty much a sure thing he'll continue doing artwork for the main-numbered series.:cat:

And yes, complaining that the main character(s) are girly is pretty retarded.

DeathKnight
04-30-2006, 04:54 AM
It's a sure thing that Amano will/has done conceptual artwork for FFXII, besides the logo. (At least I see no reason why he'd just stop doing artwork.) He's even done work for FFXI, so it's pretty much a sure thing he'll continue doing artwork for the main-numbered series.:cat:

I've seen more retarted things coming from many FFVII fanboys

LunarWeaver
04-30-2006, 05:12 AM
Misspellings O_O...Retarded*

Ballistix Man
04-30-2006, 05:16 AM
I deleted I dont want to be banned for flaming.

LunarWeaver
04-30-2006, 05:17 AM
I just think of Deathknight as a prococious but cute kitten and things tend to turn out well for us both.

Ballistix Man
04-30-2006, 05:21 AM
I just think of Deathknight as a prococious but cute kitten and things tend to turn out well for us both.
I dont usually fing 6'5" tall white men cute but I guess thats understandable.

DeathKnight
04-30-2006, 05:26 AM
I dont usually fing 6'5" tall white men cute but I guess thats understandable.

I'm not white

Ballistix Man
04-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Couldve sworn you said you were. Oh well.

LunarWeaver
04-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Come to think of it, I've never once even thought about what race people might be on here... I must be supremely non-racist! I will now congratulate myself :greenking Uh anyway I think the topic has been lost in the shuffle at this point errm...

So here's to hoping Amano works on art-related things but Nomura does the character designs *Shines his Nomura fanboi badge*

Ballistix Man
04-30-2006, 05:39 AM
I always think about it just so if they slip up I can pull out the race card. I love that card wasn't it in KH COM

valentine
04-30-2006, 05:57 AM
Come to think of it, I've never once even thought about what race people might be on here... I must be supremely non-racist! I will now congratulate myself :greenking Uh anyway I think the topic has been lost in the shuffle at this point errm...

So here's to hoping Amano works on art-related things but Nomura does the character designs *Shines his Nomura fanboi badge*

Naw, here's hoping not only does Amano do the character designs but, for once, they are portrayed accurately, or at least as accurately as tehy were in the FFV and FFVI FMVs.

Nomura can work on FFXIV. Which I honestly wouldn't be suprised if they had already started work on.

LunarWeaver
04-30-2006, 06:03 AM
FFXIV jeeze hahah numerals as crazy as Super Bowls these days...

I don't mind Amano but there's something about his style that's very... How should I put this. I'd love to see it in a painting, but not necessarily run around as it for 40 hours. How uneloquent :mad:

Except for Kuja. Kuja was all Sephy should have been. His outfit reigns supreme.

Ballistix Man
04-30-2006, 06:08 AM
I dont believe a bad guy should wear a thong. I also dont believe a bad guy should be female but thats only because I'm romantic.

Zeromus_X
04-30-2006, 06:10 AM

I've seen more retarted things coming from many FFVII fanboys
Eh?

Naw, here's hoping not only does Amano do the character designs but, for once, they are portrayed accurately, or at least as accurately as tehy were in the FFV and FFVI FMVs.

Well, they were portrayed pretty well for sprites, I'd say. And yeah, weren't those FMVs tasty? :cat: :love:

LunarWeaver
04-30-2006, 06:14 AM
^_^;; I like his thong, it sets him apart. Thongs are just leather pants that let you breathe, I don't see the difference between him and Sephy.

It's possible it will be neither of them... A brand new Character Designer for next-gen like when Nomura stepped in for VII. Got to hip it up folks.

Ballistix Man
04-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Well ya know G I thank that one du who did that one gizzame would be clizzean. You understizzur.

Nick Schovitz
04-30-2006, 08:10 PM
*screams at the top of his lungs in a totally different voice* YEAH FINAL FANTASY ON PS3 FINAL FANTASY ON PS3 WOOF WOOF!

LunarWeaver
04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
*screams at the top of his lungs in a totally different voice* YEAH FINAL FANTASY ON PS3 FINAL FANTASY ON PS3 WOOF WOOF!

And that says it all everybody :tonberry:

marc
05-02-2006, 02:48 AM
Regarding the effeminate main character situation, I quite like having more girlyman characters,
After all, I am comfortably with my sexuality.