PDA

View Full Version : Tales of the Abyss is coming to the US!

Crossblades
04-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Another Tales game I must get!:D

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/talesoftheabyss/news.html?sid=6148428

Namco Bandai dropped by recently with a yet-to-be-translated copy of Tales of the Abyss to show us how the latest game in this classic role-playing game series is turning out. Though we didn't have the opportunity to spend as much time fiddling with the gameplay as we would've liked, we did get to see a lot of what it has to offer, from sections near both the beginning and the end of the game.

Tales of the Abyss, which derives most of its influence from Tales of Symphonia, even down to using the exact same development team, begins with a story completely different from all of the previous games in the Tales series. It's not entirely a stand-alone product, however, since people who have played games like Symphonia will definitely be able to jump right into Abyss, quickly adapting to the game's style and noticing that some of the language and skill names, for example, have carried over.

You begin the story as Luke fon Fabre, the young son of a Duke (and yes, we've made the Duke Luke joke already) who was kidnapped and has no recollection of his life before the kidnapping. Confined to wander around his father's impressive mansion, Luke eventually meets up with a woman named Tear, and their introduction inspires some kind of rift phenomenon, which transports the two off into the world, far away from everything Luke has ever known. Conveniently, you're able to learn about the world as Luke does--observing his reactions as he first witnesses less-than-everyday occurrences like brutal murders. Unlike previous games, Tales of the Abyss features a more realistic presentation of character reactions, zooming in on their faces to show their expressions, for example.

True to form, Tales of the Abyss looks and feels quite a bit like an anime, favoring in-game cutscenes and skits over extensive cinematics, although there are approximately 20 minutes of cinematics in the game. The cast of characters, varying from the adorable cheegle, Mieu, to the stoic necromancer, Jade, provide worthy backup for the combat-focused Luke, and can be commandeered either by the AI, you, or up to three friends in the game's four-player multiplayer.

Tales of the Abyss expands on previous Tales games with new combat mechanics.
The best way to attack the game, as you would expect, is to use a combination of strike artes and fonic artes (the game's magic abilities, which are divided into seven of the traditional elements: fire, water, light, and so on) among your party of characters. As previously mentioned, Luke is predominately strike artes-focused, but even he will rely heavily on the newly implemented Field of Fonons gameplay mechanic. As you fight, and characters use elemental-based attacks, a ring corresponding to that element will appear on the field. Once the ring has been charged (by using said elemental spells), players can stand inside the ring and supercharge their attacks. Combine this effect with a smart application of elemental attacks (fire will not fight fire, for instance), and you have a rather effective method of dealing with enemies in a constantly interesting way.

Also bear in mind that you can use your enemies' Field of Fonons (and they yours), so it seems that there might be tactical advantages to using these sparingly now and then. If you're not playing with friends, you can map the four directions on the directional pad and the four directions on the right analog stick to correspond to four hotkeyed spells for you and your AI, respectively, so you can control all of the action with the controller pretty easily. Although we didn't spend much time in the fighting sequences, the Namco Bandai representative (whose save was logged in at 95 hours) explained that he found himself managing the AI quite a bit throughout the entire game.

Further character management comes in the form of the capacity cores, which influence the type of statistics your character acquires when he or she levels up. There are more than 20 different capacity cores in the game, and each one has a different balance of physical/fonic attacks/defense points, so you can customize your character pretty freely, all the while monitoring your character's progress by an onscreen indicator that shows how much of each statistic your character currently has. As your characters level up, they will unlock up to 80 AD (additional) skills in the game, not the least of which is the ability to turn on free run in the battlefield, which lets you move all around, unlike the straight-line combat of Symphonia. There are also fon slot chambers, which grant you the ability to add special effects to your skills in battle. The four colors of red, blue, green, and yellow offer different traits to your skills, so, for example, red will give power to your skill (increased damage for an attack, more points for a heal).

Though the story and characters are unique, some of the skills will be familiar.
Making its triumphant return to the game is the ability to cook, which is one of the things we were most excited to see in Tales of the Abyss. Titles like "necromancer" and "cook" affect your character and give you the ability to unlock additional costumes (like swimsuits and formal wear). Though there's no wonder chef in this game, you will be able to cook after most of your battles, creating tasty delicacies each time.

Though Tales of the Abyss has been out since late last year in Japan, Namco Bandai promises exclusive content for the US release in the fall of this year. We don't know what that content will be yet, but we look forward to spending more time with this game and unveiling more of its secrets as we learn them.

Roto13
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
I read as far as where it said that it had the same development team as Symphonia, and decided to buy it. I love Tales of Symphonia!

Reine
04-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Will it be released in PAL terrotory though? They decided not to release Legendia, according to what ive read, despit the fact they released Eternia, Symphonia and Phantasia here

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I am DYING to play Abyss!! Thank you Namco for bringing it overseas... I love da Namco.

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Seriously? Pretty sweet, then. I've seen Japanese videos of Abyss, so I hope it'll do well here. (It definitely will, to Tales fans.) Actually, I've heard that most if not all of the Tales games are coming to NA eventually.

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Not all the Tales games will make it here. Rebirth and Tales of Destiny II will probably never make it. I want Abyss and Rebirth but I will just have to make it by with Abyss....even though Rebirth looks ultra sexy.

Reine
04-28-2006, 05:29 PM
According to what ive read so far, Legendia isnt planned for a PAL release

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, at least enough of them to keep Tales fans gorging through a smorgasbord of linear motion fantasticallness for a very long time.

I don't think that's a word either.

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 05:46 PM
It's a word now!

-Forgive me, my eyes went right past the word "PAL", you're right... I took it out of my last post.

Rebirth was released really, really close to Symphonia wasn't it? I wonder if it has questionable quality anyway... >_>;

Namco kind of releases a new Tales game every 2 seconds after all.

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Rebirth was suppose to be good from what I read. It was released no closer to Symphonia than Abyss was to Legendia.

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 05:54 PM
Rebirth was suppose to be good from what I read. It was released no closer to Symphonia than Abyss was to Legendia.

I am corrected then ^_^.

Like I would have room to complain anyway, I'd spit out 50 bucks for anything Namco would give me. I just love running on that line and Sword Raining da baddies.