PDA

View Full Version : Usefull management of "useless charaters"

chaos9071
04-27-2006, 11:20 PM
It somewhat irks me that any hard core fan of Final Fantasy VI would ever call the following charaters useless and yet so many of you do. Why? I will tell you how I manage to make the most useless charaters quite useful.

RELM. This is easy, Although she has very little direct merits she does assist and when used properly is a valued team member. Here is what I use her for. I equip her with the cursed sheild and the heal rod along with the ribbon. This basically nullifies the effects of the cursed sheild except for the confuse and the doom. So she is confused and she attacks others will the heal rod effectively healing them... I like this because I have wicked ADD and I often forget I have equiped the heal rod and ussually end up healing my foes.

The other thing relm is useful for is to use her in concert with other charaters for obtaining either blue magic for her grandpops or stealing with Locke or GoGo. If say you want a second pair of the Tiger Claws and can't kill until you get it Control is an easy way to get them.

Relm can also obtain something few in this game can. Magic evasion rate that exceeds 100%. Let me just say that this is extremely useful.

SETZER. Simply one of the best. Equip him with fixed dice, offering, safety bit, and your best armor and you will find you have a powerhouse. Now focus your time on building up his magic powers and you will have one of the most effective charaters in the game.

GAU. Gau is a complicated charater to master. You have to spend a lot of time to develope him. There are maybe a dozen usefull attacks that he has. For fans of Leo he can do your almighty "shock". Equip him with a snow muffler and a merit award and watch out. This guy is extremely powerful. There are entire strategy guides out on the net devoted to Gau's effective use.

Umaro. a lazy person would say there isn't much you can do with this guy. The only real things you can do to elevate the status of this guy is to switch up his relics. With the Gauntlet he is pretty feirce. The only real use I have found for him is in the Tower of Kefka. Physical attacks when no one else can is powerful stuff.

My point is that everyone in Final Fantasy 6 has a purpose for being there. The people who are wickedly usefull in the WOB are often the ones who become extremely useless in the WOR. Take Edgar for example when was the last time you used a tool while fighting a major boss? What about Celes? Her Runic blade technique is equally useless. But she is a total hottie so I forgive her. I know alot of you will disagree but come on she is just eye candy. I know many of you like Cyan throughout but let us face the facts that his tech is a collosal waste of time in the WOR. Shadow I feel is subject to this as well. While I think shadow is one of the most compelling charaters in the story as a fighter I have trouble using him effectively in battle. I ussually take him along in order to look cool. Terra, Sabin, and Locke. are like the only charaters who maintain a constant state of usefullness.

ljkkjlcm9
04-28-2006, 12:22 AM
you say you're upset with people calling characters useless, then you go and call characters useless. Any character can be good, it's all how you want to play. I don't like Terra or Locke, terra does what exactly? Morph? That's no good people are as strong with her without it. Locke? He can steal great. Edgar can equip the same stuff, and his tools are cooler. You haven't proved anything with your statement. It's personal preference.

You say Cyan is useless, yet I disagree, I made him my best by far. All I need is him, with quick and an economizer. I beat the entire final boss, all the statues and kefka, with Cyan alone attacking, without getting hit. Does that sound useless to you?

THE JACKEL

Snap Jumper
04-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Edgar and Celes useless in the WOR? Celes kicks off the story and Edgar is required to move it along. Even if you don't use the special abilities, they are useful, as they can equip swords, and every character can use magic. You don't need those abilities to make a character useful. I rarely use blitzes, but Sabin has his place. Then again, level any character up to level 60, and they'll be useful. It doesn't matter who they are. Just go with your favorites.

chaos9071
04-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Not exactly. I was saying that some charaters lose their usefullness and many people think they are retained. Every charater has a use but some are more universally useful than others. Like I found Edgar lost his usefullness in the WOR. The tools he has just become antiquated. I frankly don't see anything "cool" about his tools. If you ask me Edgar is a tool. What I said is that Locke, Terra, and Sabin keep a constant level of usefullness, I did not comment on the level of usefulness. Sabin is more useful than Terra yeah I was simply saying that their level of usefullness don't change. Still there are charaters who were useless in the WOB that become very useful in the WOR. Gau and Setzer are both perfect examples. I hardly used them in the WOB. Like Umaro is pratically useless except for on the tower of kefka. I thought I was pretty clear about all this.

ljkkjlcm9
04-28-2006, 04:16 AM
I still disagree. Sabin is more useful then Terra because his blitz can do a lot of damage, well tools can do a lot of damage, namely the chainsaw, so I don't get your point there. And I never found Locke useful. His ability is steal, what's useful about that? Few enemies have things worth stealing, even less of a chance of getting it. It's really not a good ability. I'm sorry but certain abilities just ain't that great, such as morph, steal...... yeah....

THE JACKEL

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 04:37 AM
Magic is the most useful skill above all else in this game, which actually makes sense.

And really, it's true, no character is useless. Some people may think that at first, but each character has some special use.

Another thing about Relm, she can have the third best Magic with the Cat Hood, next to Tina and Celes, which is really saying something.

About Shadow, he has an extremely high (insert stat here that works as 'evasion'). Especially at higher levels. And the added bonus of Interceptor for extra damage. Shuriken are also extremely cheap for alot of damage, very early in the game. (Buy 99 when you start Mash's scenario, you'll still have some by the Floating Continent probably.)

As for Umaro, his frequent attacks by throwing your party (xD) and the Blizzard Orb, are very nice, although it's quite understandable if someone doesn't like him.

Gau needs no explanation.

Setzer definitely does not need an explanation. Although you left out the Echo Screen trick...so meh.

chaos9071
04-28-2006, 06:10 AM
Jackle: My main problem with the chainsaw is that it randomly dispatchs the enemy not a usefully thing when dealing with bosses or the Undead. It is therefore much less reliable in any fight of concequence. Honestly the Drill is much more effective in a fight as it by passes defenses which if I was Edgar fighting Gau that is what I would use barring magic. But the Drill isn't going to kill Gau because he is going to more than likely evade it as his evasion rates are rather high as well. As for Sabin I find him just a bit more useful than Edgar. Most of his blitz's that are useful rely on his Magic Stat which as the previous posted stated is the most usefull skill in the game. So while you have to waste stat building for edgar on strength you can wisely use magic on Sabin. The blitz are not 100% sure but if you play a little Street Figher II it isn't that difficult to bust out a bum rush. All and All I rather have Sabin on my team.

As for Steal not being of any concequence I suggest you try stealing some more stuff and taking it to the Collisum with either Gau or Setzer. You can pick up some very usefull equipment... even if you insist on outfiting Edgar with it.

Zeromus I am well aware of Shadows high evasion rate but what is more useful is the Magic Evasion rate. Never the less I agree with you for the most part. The Tack Star can be stolen easily and Shadow is a great charater. I do typically have him in my party. I prefer him over charaters more mainstream charaters. I just find that he hasn't reach god like status like Mog, Gau, and Setzer.

But what is the echo screen trick? I have never heard of it.

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 06:35 AM
Ah, I knew there was some 'real' stat that covered evasion. Thank you for reminding me. :p

As for Setzer...

http://masterzed.cavesofnarshe.com/GameDocs/slotfaq.html

Basically, due to a Random Number Generator, Slots isn't actually random. It's fixed depending on actions in battle. Using an Echo Screen on Setzer and then pausing the game repedeately while Slots is on, until you see the 7s lined up for the most part, you can time it so you'll always get Joker Doom. All the technical stuff is in the link. :cat:

Kyros
04-29-2006, 09:32 PM
For the few people that have said they don't find anything about Locke...wtf? O.o Did you know you can kill Kefka faster with them than anyone else? You give him the genji gloves, offering, and two valiant knives. First turn kill for 9999 8 times to kefka for the win. I don't depend on this strategy, but I don't see anything beating it either.

Zeromus_X
04-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Anyone can do 9,999 damage easily. But yes, Lock w/ Valiant Knives= teh awesomenesz. :cat:

Jimmy Dark Aeons Slayer
05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Basically you canīt say that there are useless characters the truth is that we only consider a character useless if we donīt like it.

For example Terra and Celes itīs true that after all the characters learn magic skills they become less important, but still they will always have the higher magic power which makes them pretty prety effective because if for example letīs say Relms casts Fire and makes 500 damage, Terra or Celes using the same magic can make around 1200 damage.

Some said that Locke is useless again i desagree since besides stealing his very fast and can deal serious damage if equipped right, and sometimes stealing comes a lot cheapper then actually buying items.

Edgar is another example of a great character is tools command finishes every enemy at the begining of the game and later after he learns drill and chainsaw he can do serious damage,besides even withought his tool command heīs a good hitter.

As for Shadow his also great to have because even a shuriken which is extremaly cheap can do really big amounts of damage

So you see every character as itīs purpose itīs just a matter of wether you like it or not:rolleyes2

eestlinc
05-02-2006, 04:43 AM
no character is useless, but some are just not fun to use. you only ever need three or four strong characters anyway, so levelling characters you don't like seems kinda boring and pointless.

KoShiatar
05-02-2006, 06:01 PM
no character is useless, but some are just not fun to use.

Perfectly true.