PDA

View Full Version : Non-Stereotypical Characters

Evastio
04-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Have you ever encountered a non-stereotypical character in any video game or movie?

When I say non-stereotypical I mean a character with a personality that doesn't even come close to any other characters' personality.

I Took the Red Pill
04-28-2006, 12:38 AM
When Spiderman (the comic) came out in the '60s, he was pretty unique in that he was a "flawed" hero, with the problems everyday people face (i.e., school, girls)

Shiny
04-28-2006, 12:44 AM
...Um do the sims count. They definately have some unique personalties and you can choose between atleast 20 different types of personas. It's like controlling your own little schizophrenic person. Other then that most video game characters are as so:

A. Over agressive
B. Over sexed
C. Over emotional
D. Extremely hyper active
E. Over masculine
F. Over feminine(this includes male and female characters)
G. And lastly over hyped

Evastio
04-28-2006, 12:57 AM
When Spiderman (the comic) came out in the '60s, he was pretty unique in that he was a "flawed" hero, with the problems everyday people face (i.e., school, girls)
I guess that counts. But I was meaning Non-Stereotypical by today's standards.

...Um do the sims count.
NO. Please no Sims. :nonono: I mean characters that are defaultly the way they are.

The most non-stereotypical villains I've ever encountered are Emperor Sauzer and General Palpaleos from Bahamut Lagoon. Unlike most villains they actually had consciences. I found it really awesome how Emperor Sauzer let Palpaleos join the good guys because he was in love with Princess Yoyo. Another awesome thing about those guys is how they didn't get killed by the good guys. They both chose to die.

FallenAngel411
04-28-2006, 05:04 AM
I thought V from "V for Vendetta" was pretty unique....can't remember any hero quite like him. (gazes thoughtfully at the above sig)

Yeah, that's my big movie of the moment.

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 05:07 AM
There aren't too many. Though a character definitely shouldn't be faulted for being 'stereotypical', every character has been done already anyway. Though it is awesome to see to truly brand new type of character though. :cat:

Moon Rabbits
04-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye.

Elite Lord Sigma
04-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Well, the main character from Second Sight is unique in the fact that he has psychic powers, but has no idea why he has them (at first), and also doesn't have the typical "I can do whatever I wish to" mindset of most psychics.

Rydia from Final Fantasy IV is also unique because despite being...seven years old (I think), she had the maturity level of somebody triple her age, and didn't have the typical "is weak and is captured by the main villain" complex of some other game characters.

Vincent, Thunder God
04-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Good idea for a thread Evastio :) . Non-stereotypical characters I've encountered are:

1.Howard the Duck (comic series)
2.Thomas Covenant (book series)
3.Dunstan Ramsay (Fifth Business, by Robertson Davies)
4.Guybursh Threepwood (Monkey Island series)

Can't think of any more at the moment.

Roto13
05-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Pretty much everyone in the Watchmen comics. I think I'll make a thread about them.

Evastio
05-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Rydia from Final Fantasy IV is also unique because despite being...seven years old (I think), she had the maturity level of somebody triple her age, and didn't have the typical "is weak and is captured by the main villain" complex of some other game characters.
During 1992 she was a Non-Stereotypical Character. Now practically all female characters are big-headed, disrespectful, and men hating.

I don't mean any offense to girls here on Eyes on FF. When I said what I said above I meant girls from video games and movies. Not in real life.