PDA

View Full Version : United 93 (a movie based on the story of Flight 93 on 9/11/01)

SuperMillionaire
04-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Who's going to watch United 93? It's a movie based on United Airlines Flight 93, which was hijacked by terrorists on September 11th, 2001.

Perducci
04-28-2006, 03:57 AM
I heard that this film has already been banned. Though i'll probably see it if it does come out.

kikimm
04-28-2006, 04:19 AM
I don't want to see it. I wasn't super affected by 9/11, but it just feels too close for them to already be making a movie about it. I don't know. Maybe I'm being silly. But I'd rather they wait a bit longer.

So no thanks!

FallenAngel411
04-28-2006, 05:01 AM
Wasn't there just another topic on this? I'll just restate that I'm not going to see this film, on the grounds that it disgusts me, the way they're already trying to make money off of people's emotions. The attacks did strike close to home for me, and seeing commercials for this film, making it look like some exciting, heart-wrenchingly dramatic thriller...just pisses me off.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-28-2006, 08:17 AM
The exploitation thing wouldn't bother me incredibly if the protagonists were depicted as actual people and not flawlessly noble action heroes. From the trailer, it looks like it could go either way.

Zell's Fists of Fury
04-28-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty meh. I was suprised when I first saw the trailers, like mot people. I don't know why, but it just seems too soon...

Giga Guess
04-28-2006, 01:38 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=83536

Iunno. I think I'll see it. More than likely, I'll end up renting it.

Necronopticous
04-30-2006, 06:07 PM
It was a great film, very intense.

Miriel
05-01-2006, 08:13 AM
The exploitation thing wouldn't bother me incredibly if the protagonists were depicted as actual people and not flawlessly noble action heroes. From the trailer, it looks like it could go either way.
If that's your main concern, you shouldn't worry about it in the least. NONE of them are shown as flawless action heroes. In fact, very rarely have I seen such a human and real portrayal of the "heroes" of a film.

Real people, real situation, and they did the best that they could with whatever they had on hand. I think the main think I admire about these people was that they weren't afraid to take action. They might have done it clumsily and with shaking hands and with a bit of screaming and crying, but at least they did it. Some of the passangers were paralyzed with fear as I'm sure I would have been. One passanger even tried to convince everyone that they shouldn't do anything and should just sit still.

So yeah, there was hardly an ounce of exploitation in this film. And unlike Michael Moore's movie, there is no political agenda, no propaganda, nothing like that. It was basically a real time depiction of what happened that day on the plane as well as in air traffic control rooms around the nation.

The last 30 minutes of the film was intensely gripping.

I cried.

Burtsplurt
05-01-2006, 09:00 AM
How accurate is it? I don't really want to see a film like this if it's merely, "Inspired by real events." It wouldn't feel right at all.

Miriel
05-01-2006, 09:36 AM
How accurate is it? I don't really want to see a film like this if it's merely, "Inspired by real events." It wouldn't feel right at all.
Well, a good chunk of the people who are in the air traffic control rooms and towers were played by the actual people who were there that day. So instead of getting actors, they got the actual people to basically relive what they went, what they said, how they acted on 9/11. Can't get any more accurate than that.

Plus from what I know of the phone conversations that were made that day from the plane, the conversations in the movie were spot on, sometimes word for word with the actual conversations that were recorded that day.

There's a whole bunch that was dramatized because honestly, who can know exactly what happened on the plane? But it seemed pretty accurate to me.

Roger Eberts, even though he is progressively getting more and more senile, wrote a [url=http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060427/REVIEWS/60419006]review[url] for the movie that matches almost perfectly with my own personal thoughts on the movie.