PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Characters better than the main charachters?

Ballistix Man
04-28-2006, 02:39 AM
I always found the supporting charachters eclipsed the main charachters. Your thoughts.

dodhungry
04-28-2006, 03:35 AM
Ok thats kinda vague. Really don't know which FF your talking about.. The reason I say this is cause if talking about FF 1 that really dose not make much sense since The main characters really dont speak.. All the other NPC's do all the talking. Where as in the later Gen FF's Like 7-10 I can see where you might have a point of interest.

If this is the case I agree in 10 cause Tidus was a panzy while everyone else rocked.

Ballistix Man
04-28-2006, 03:42 AM
I mean FF in general hence why I posted in general FF. But at 2 I noticed this trend. Then at 4 on.

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 03:58 AM
The Grand List of Console Role-Playing Game Cliches, Rule 152:
Stealing The Spotlight (Edea Rule)
The characters who join your party only briefly tend to be much cooler than your regular party members.

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 04:03 AM
The Grand List of Console Role-Playing Games, Rule 152:
Stealing The Spotlight (Edea Rule)
The characters who join your party only briefly tend to be much cooler than your regular party members.

A rule for the ages.

Final Fantasy Tactics had so many cool guests, I poked permanent party members with sporks for not being cool enough. Uncool bastards.

Kain424
04-28-2006, 01:34 PM
I've always found Kain to be a much more interesting character than Cecil in FFIV.

PontiusPilate
05-10-2006, 01:19 AM
I think it varied for different FF games

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-10-2006, 02:08 AM
Depends on the game. As a character, I love Ramza or Cecil or Zidane, they're all really interesting, well-done characters. However, some games have a wealth of great supporting characters and sometimes the hero isn't that great.

I was OK with Tidus, but I liked the character of Lulu a lot more, and I was actually rather disappointed at how little she was explored.

Another example is Squall, who I was unimpressed with, as opposed to say, Quisitis, who intrigued me much more.

NeoCracker
05-10-2006, 04:16 AM
The only one this isn't true in is FF IX. Coolest Character is Zidane.
4 had Rydia, edge, and Kain.
5 had Galuf and Faris.
7 had Barret, Cid, Vincent, pretty much all of them I though were cooler than cloud. Except Cait Sith.
8 They were all better than Squall. Includin gall the NPC's in town.
10 Again, everone else was cooler.

Shadow705
05-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Ah the beauty of 6. No main character... or was it they were all the main character? Either way, they eclipsed eachother and made partys of pure coolness.

~SapphireStar~
05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
I prefered the supporting characters in 9 and 10 to be better then the leads. Mainly Vivi, Freya and Garnet over Zidane and Auron, Lulu and Yuna over Tidus.

Heero Yuy NWZC
05-10-2006, 08:56 PM
For FFVIII, Xu was a pretty good character but you never see her very often. If you take the time to actually look at her conversations, you get to know her a little bit and she's a good idea for a main character.

Ya Boy Alex
05-11-2006, 12:49 AM
FFI: Pretty cool main charachters. I mean who is better than Black Mage.
FF2: This game was the definative supporting are better game.
FF4: Kain...........................>Cecil anyday. Though Edge......................................................................>all.
FF6: No mian charachter :frust:
FF7: Vincent, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Barret, Cid................>Cloud.
FF8: Squall was a relly crappy charachter. Even Cid outshined him.
ff9: I like Steiner and Vivi better.
FF10: Auron was much better than Yuna or her effeminate boyfriend Tidus.
FF12: Basch and Balflier........>Vaan.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-11-2006, 01:35 AM
FF12: Basch and Balflier........>Vaan.

I'm reserving my judgement on that until I actually play the game. Unless you've played it, I'd think it's a difficult judgement to make.

Ya Boy Alex
05-11-2006, 03:31 AM
I have played a little of my friends.

Dell
05-11-2006, 05:10 PM
FFVI - Shadow and Sabin kick Locke and Terra out of the way!
FFVII - Cloud win, but Vincent and Cid look more cooler.
FFVIII - Zell is better than Squall and Quistis pwns! Squall win if it was about power.
FFIX - Zidane is not cool in battle but have very good personality, in battle, Steiner and Vivi is enough, Eiko and Freya will help!
FFX - Tidus is the worst among the other except Blitz Ace did help. Lulu, Kimahri and Yuna pwns!
FFX-2 - Paine kicks everyone's ass!
FFT - The main party is stupid, I change all of them with Orlandu, Agrias, Ramza, a White Mage and I forget one?

Sefie1999AD
05-11-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't think the side characters were overshadowing the main character that much except maybe in FFX. There I think it's more like Yuna's journey. She's leading the group, she's the one who's going to destroy Sin and she survives in the end, and makes the final speech. Tidus is more like the character from whose point of view you watch the story, although the game does say it is his story.

Final Fantasy Tactics had so many cool guests, I poked permanent party members with sporks for not being cool enough. Uncool bastards.

Agrias, Orlandu, Ramza and Cloud. What else do you need? :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-11-2006, 09:07 PM
FFT - The main party is stupid, I change all of them with Orlandu, Agrias, Ramza, a White Mage and I forget one?

The appropriate build for Ramza can absolutely OWN Orlandu. So long as he can take the first turn and move away at a high enough rate (both of which are easily doable), he can Scream up and take him down in short order.

Plus, his personality is a lot more definied than Orlandu, which I like a lot more.

Dell
05-12-2006, 11:42 AM

The appropriate build for Ramza can absolutely OWN Orlandu. So long as he can take the first turn and move away at a high enough rate (both of which are easily doable), he can Scream up and take him down in short order.

Plus, his personality is a lot more definied than Orlandu, which I like a lot more.

Hey, I don't remove Ramza:eep: . Ramza is also a good character, I make him a Monk and he beat bad dude.

DeathKnight
05-12-2006, 04:59 PM
It happened in IX, EVERYONE's better than Zidane:choc2:

Heero Yuy NWZC
05-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Whoa! :mad: ZIDANE IS THE SHIZ!!!:exdee: Followed closely by Blank and Beatrix. No one can beat a guy with a prehensile tail ppl. :D

Dell
05-13-2006, 07:35 AM
I agree with Heero, Zidane is a well-made character but I like Vivi, Eiko, Steiner and Freya MORE!

DarkLadyNyara
05-14-2006, 03:10 AM
It happened in IX, EVERYONE's better than Zidane
Quina is pointless, Eiko is a whiney brat, Steiner is an idiot, Amarant is decent, but not great. Vivi, Freya, and Garnet are strong characters, but so is Zidane.

DeathKnight
05-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Quina is pointless, Eiko is a whiney brat, Steiner is an idiot, Amarant is decent, but not great. Vivi, Freya, and Garnet are strong characters, but but so is Zidane.

Not really, he was just a monkey who didn't allow any other the other characters besides Garnet to shine, a big headed monkey at that. Amarant, Eiko, and Vivi a thousand times

Fantasy Fan
05-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Quina is pointless, Eiko is a whiney brat, Steiner is an idiot, Amarant is decent, but not great. Vivi, Freya, and Garnet are strong characters, but but so is Zidane.

Not really, he was just a monkey who didn't allow any other the other characters besides Garnet to shine, a big headed monkey at that. Amarant, Eiko, and Vivi a thousand times
what are you talking about? Zidane was the cause of the party and who kept them all going till the end. Without Zidane, Steiner would be in the spot light, and then we'd have another FFVIII.

As for the Supporting characters to be better, can you say, Bartz, Locke, Zidane again? Though Faris was also pretty cool.

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 12:17 AM
How would we have FF VIII?

DeathKnight
05-15-2006, 01:13 AM

what are you talking about? Zidane was the cause of the party and who kept them all going till the end. Without Zidane, Steiner would be in the spot light, and then we'd have another FFVIII.

As for the Supporting characters to be better, can you say, Bartz, Locke, Zidane again? Though Faris was also pretty cool.

Steiner was better and funnier

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 01:21 AM

That is subjective reasoning. It also appears to be quite biased as you have stated many times you seem to have something against blonde main charachters.

DeathKnight
05-15-2006, 01:28 AM

That is subjective reasoning. It also appears to be quite biased as you have stated many times you seem to have something against blonde main charachters.

O RLY?! it happens to be that Tidus is my favorite lead character of all time in a FF:mog:

I do HATE the fact that every FF protagonist(male) has to be blonde, with the exception of Squall(which was a miracle).

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 01:33 AM

O RLY?! it happens to be that Tidus is my favorite lead character of all time in a FF:mog:

I do HATE the fact that every FF protagonist(male) has to be blonde, with the exception of Squall(which was a miracle).
I also could have sworn you said Yuna was your favorite main charachter. If the above statement is true you are changing to further an argument. But as I have said you seem to have something against every blonde main charachter aside from Tidus.

DeathKnight
05-15-2006, 02:20 AM

I also could have sworn you said Yuna was your favorite main charachter. If the above statement is true you are changing to further an argument. But as I have said you seem to have something against every blonde main charachter aside from Tidus.

you "sworn" to much my friend.

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 02:29 AM
I myself swear very rarely thank you very much.

Death Knight who is your favorite FF charachter. Tidus right?

No, Yuna, THEN Tidus. And if you dare say Tidus looks like a girl then you're saying 50% of caucasians look like girls

DeathKnight
05-15-2006, 02:35 AM
I myself swear very rarely thank you very much.

Death Knight who is your favorite FF charachter. Tidus right?

No, Yuna, THEN Tidus. And if you dare say Tidus looks like a girl then you're saying 50% of caucasians look like girls

If you think 'bout it, it's more of a:

-female: Yuna
-male: Tidus

kind of thing:moomba:

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Not really and I shall quote you again.

No, Yuna, THEN Tidus.

DeathKnight
05-15-2006, 02:47 AM
Not really and I shall quote you again.

No, Yuna, THEN Tidus.

It must have been a thread where it asked for your fav. FF character of all time, or fav. FFX character of all time.

I still STAND by my statement:

-female(all time): Yuna
-male: Tidus

PS: you can ask ANYONE who remembers which icon I appeared with in this message board.

DarkLadyNyara
05-15-2006, 02:50 AM
That is entirely subjective. I found Steiner to be a stubborn idiot.

And if you dare say Tidus looks like a girl then you're saying 50% of caucasians look like girls
Well, duh. 50% of caucasians are girls. :D And Tidus, compared to most of the caucasian males I know, is quite effeminate.

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 02:52 AM
Actually this was a thread in the FF XII corner where when asked if Tidus was your favorite charachter you said

No, Yuna, THEN Tidus

DeathKnight
05-15-2006, 03:05 AM
Actually this was a thread in the FF XII corner where when asked if Tidus was your favorite charachter you said

No, Yuna, THEN Tidus

well yeah, Yuna is my fav. (of all time) that's how I took it since it was in the FFXII forum. So yes, it's Yuna then Tidus. But now that I think 'bout it, Yuna is my fav. female babe and Tidus is my fav. male cahracter, simple as that my friend. I just point out that I like Yuna a little more because I like her so much:elk:

That is entirely subjective. I found Steiner to be a stubborn idiot.

And if you dare say Tidus looks like a girl then you're saying 50% of caucasians look like girls
Well, duh. 50% of caucasians are girls. :D And Tidus, compared to most of the caucasian males I know, is quite effeminate.

If you go back to that thread, you'll see that I corrected myself.

50% of caucasian males look like girls***

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 03:06 AM
Well then you yourself are continually posting a load of baloki.

DeathKnight
05-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Well then you yourself are continually posting a load of baloki.

You're the one who WANTS to fight it out all night:blahblah:

Ya Boy Alex
05-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Umm I am just arguing with valid points. If you want this to end, it ends. In fact over cus I got my point across.

boys from the dwarf
05-29-2006, 08:01 PM
i often find that my favourite character in an FF is either not the main character or not even playable. not saying that all the main characters are useless and pointless because without a main character the story would fall apart. the only FFs i can think of where my favourite character is the main one are FF8. squall has a great personality and is one of the best created characters in any game that i know of. hes a character with deep emotions and a character that a lot of people can relate to. and in FF5 bartz was probably joint favourite with galuf. bartz was funny and seemed to say things that wouldnt usually be funny but the timing somehow makes it funny. am i the only one who thinks that when X-death is revived and bartz says "oh crap." it's funny?

Nick Schovitz
05-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Not for me, I'm always sticking with the main chracters.