PDA

View Full Version : Dear God - the Revolution's official name.

Shaun
04-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Seriously, I never thought that something as insignificant as a name could cause a console to bomb, but I'm sure that in Western countries it could be the case with the Revolution.

It's been called the 'Wii', pronounced 'wee'. No, I'm not kidding either. I really don't think I can buy any product with such a ridiculous name. I could just picture the situation now: "What did you get for Christmas?" "I got a wee." Dear God no...

Topic: Did hearing about the new Revolution name make you wince? Do you think such a ridiculous name could possibly give you doubts about buying it? Are you going to buy a 'Wii'?

Flying Mullet
04-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Source?

NeoCracker
04-28-2006, 02:04 PM
With the twisted Humour of us americans, people will by it so the could honestly say, "I got a wii," I know I would.

Shaun
04-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Good source: http://forums.modojo.com/showthread.php?t=139067&page=1

Also, check http://revolution.nintendo.com. The site claims the name is used as 'we', but it still sounds mighty lame!

Cid Vicious
04-28-2006, 02:08 PM
I don't care what it's called. As long as the games are good, i'll buy it.

Shaun
04-28-2006, 02:11 PM
http://people.uleth.ca/~pollej/owiiwii.jpg

Flying Mullet
04-28-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't care what it's called. As long as the games are good, i'll buy it.

Agent Proto
04-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Here's what I think about Nintendo Wii. Yes, I think it's stupid, and I'm sure Nintendo knows that a lot of backlash will happen. However, stop and think about it. Nintendo Wii, it's a rather short and simple name, not something "complicated", or including unnecessary numbers in a name such as Sony PlayStation3 and Microsoft XBox 360. It's so simple, that there is no need for abbreviating the name, as it's Wii. Wii is Wii, a one syllable name. Not a multiple syllable name like PlaySation3 and Xbox 360. Just one syllable. Nintendo is making an attempt to reach out to non-gamers with the Wii. As ridiculous as the name may be, it makes a whole lot of sense.

I have read on several fansites that most of them don't like the name, but it's something that we will get used to by the time E3 comes around, and I think it's a smart move by the Big N to announce the name early, so it won't be the main point of discussion of E3 if it was announced in E3.

And for the record, I support the name Nintendo Wii.

Angel Heart
04-28-2006, 03:06 PM
I don't care what it's called. As long as the games are good, i'll buy it.I agree

I hope it isn't too expensive and has some new Zelda games. :)

Winter Nights
04-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Only a moron would base a purchase of a product on said product's name, rather than the quality of the product. It's a given, however, that there are alot of morons in the world.

With that said, if amuses me that a product called "Wii" has a controller that looks like a sex toy. COMPLETE WITH RUMBLE PACK!!! :p

Reine
04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
I still like the sound of Nintendo Revolution better

Madame Adequate
04-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Only a moron would base a purchase of a product on said product's name, rather than the quality of the product. It's a given, however, that there are alot of morons in the world.

But when the first thing people hear about it is 'wee', what's their impression going to be? I doubt people are terribly willing to spend significant sums of money on something they can't take seriously. Especially when everyone knows what the PS3 and XBox 360 are, my grandma knows what a Playstation is for heaven's sake. I'd be embarressed to even mention 'Wii' to her because she wouldn't let it go.

Here's what I think about Nintendo Wii. Yes, I think it's stupid, and I'm sure Nintendo knows that a lot of backlash will happen. However, stop and think about it. Nintendo Wii, it's a rather short and simple name, not something "complicated", or including unnecessary numbers in a name such as Sony PlayStation3 and Microsoft XBox 360. It's so simple, that there is no need for abbreviating the name, as it's Wii. Wii is Wii, a one syllable name. Not a multiple syllable name like PlaySation3 and Xbox 360. Just one syllable. Nintendo is making an attempt to reach out to non-gamers with the Wii. As ridiculous as the name may be, it makes a whole lot of sense.

I don't buy that argument. People are stupid, but I'm not cynical enough to think they're that stupid. Besides which, nobody cares much about saying "PS3" or "360", it's hardly an olympiad of enunciation. I think non-gamers will be even less patient with it, because they'll take one look and say "Haha wee!", whilst people who've been into games for awhile will say "Haha wee! But oooh, new Metroid/Zelda/Mario. And look what they've done with the controller, they were right, this does actually have something going for it."

Agent Proto
04-28-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm not saying you should buy what I'm saying. And many people outside of the Internet are really not that immature. Saying you're not going to buy Wii simply because of the name is kind of dumb. The name doesn't make the system, it's the games that do, and I'm pretty positive that the games will change people's low opinion of the name.

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2006, 03:58 PM
This kind of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif would fly in asian because they just don't know any better. In North America and Europe...this will look so stupid. Gamecube was a wierd name at first but it worked. Revolution may be a bit too much and make nintendo look conceited but it is at least a cool name. Stuff like this matters a lot.

Also you should have posted the thread from Modojo's War Room. That is always some good funny stuff.

DeathKnight
04-28-2006, 04:21 PM
This kind of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif would fly in asian because they just don't know any better. In North America and Europe...this will look so stupid. Gamecube was a weird name at first but it worked. Revolution may be a bit too much and make nintendo look conceited but it is at least a cool name. Stuff like this matters a lot.

Also you should have posted the thread from Modojo's War Room. That is always some good funny stuff.

Asians don't know any better? hmmm how DEVINE are we?

Raistlin
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM
But when the first thing people hear about it is 'wee', what's their impression going to be? I doubt people are terribly willing to spend significant sums of money on something they can't take seriously. Especially when everyone knows what the PS3 and XBox 360 are, my grandma knows what a Playstation is for heaven's sake. I'd be embarressed to even mention 'Wii' to her because she wouldn't let it go.
Why do you give a smurf what other people think of the gaming consoles you own? Not buying a console just because of its name is absurd.

Flying Mullet
04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
http://wiiwillrockyou.ytmnd.com/

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
I still believe it's a publicity stunt.

It's working.

Of course, it wouldn't be too surprising if it was actually it's name anyway, so...meh. :cat:

Rye
04-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I agree with Raistlin. I mean, the name is silly, but I would never not buy it just because the name is silly. People will probably buy it more than ever now because every 11 year boy wants to say to his friends "Haha! I'm playing with my wee- Nintendo Wii!" I would definitely buy the Nintendo Wee, though my brother is buying it, so I kinda get it for free. :p

And they're smart for it, since EVERYONE is talking about the Nintendo Wee now.

Zeldy
04-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Same as Rye, my brother will buy it so saves me money :p The name is stupid, but hey. Its Nintendo, atleast they are creative with their names and don't just add a "2" to it.

NeoCracker
04-28-2006, 04:44 PM
http://wiiwillrockyou.ytmnd.com/
That is the epitone of awsome.

ljkkjlcm9
04-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I find it stupid that people hate it so much, close minded people.

Come on... Google? Wikipedia? Yahoo? Napster? Ipod? all these names are weird too.....

Oh, and it's not the Nintendo Wii, it's just the Wii, that's it, no nintendo

THE JACKEL

edczxcvbnm
04-28-2006, 04:57 PM
This kind of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif would fly in asian because they just don't know any better. In North America and Europe...this will look so stupid. Gamecube was a weird name at first but it worked. Revolution may be a bit too much and make nintendo look conceited but it is at least a cool name. Stuff like this matters a lot.

Asians don't know any better? hmmm how DEVINE are we?

OOps. I meant to say Asia and not Asian XD

Maxico
04-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Come on... Google? Wikipedia? Yahoo? Napster? Ipod? all these names are weird too.....

Yes, but neither of those names are euphemisms for Penis or Urine.

I frankly find it hillarious.

Flying Mullet
04-28-2006, 04:59 PM
I still believe it's a publicity stunt.

It's working.
Yep. Considering that 3/4 of internet traffic right now is people discussing Wii in some manner, I think that the name did its job, regardless of what people think about it.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Your problem is that you're thinking of it as "wee" when it's supposed to be "we."

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Indeed, Wii sure has got people talking.

Anyway, I don't see a problem. I don't giggle everytime someone says "We are going outside" just because the word We is in the sentence. Though I know it is different I guess...

I think I'll buy it just so I can come home and say "Look at my Wii everybody! Come play with it!" instead of not buying it because of.

Cz
04-28-2006, 05:15 PM
The name of a console should not influence anyone's purchasing decision, and certainly won't influence mine. However, this does not change the fact that Wii is an absolutely bloody stupid name for a games console. This cannot be refuted with a mere "it's all a matter of opinion" argument. It is a stupid name, and you know it.

The fact is, the name will affect sales, like it or not. There are plenty of people out there stupid enough to be put off by such a superficial thing, and considering that Nintendo is looking for a more casual market the name is, if anything, more important that it would be if they were aiming the thing at gamers.

But let's just assume for a moment that the name of a console isn't going to reduce sales. What possible benefits could a name like Wii confer upon the product? It could be argued that it makes the product more accessible, but surely that could be accomplished by a stylish advertising campaign? And even then, of all the syllables that the human mind could conjure up, why Wii? Not only does it sound unbelievably twee and kiddie, but it doesn't tell the user anything about the product whatsoever. To the uneducated, the Wii could be anything from a music-player to an air-freshener (and I wouldn't buy an air freshener called Wii, thank you very much). I honestly cannot fathom how anyone at Nintendo could have thought this was a good idea.

Perhaps this is a month-late April Fools' joke. I hope so.

LunarWeaver
04-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Let's try and remember the rest of the world isn't necessarily going to find Wii funny just because English-speaking countries do >.>'

Like that gamespot article says, 'ii' is a symbol for 'good' in Japan. Maybe we just aren't hip enough to understand such things as Wii in the West.

Wii is still a better name then Xbox *dodges*

Larahl
04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
It seems like Nintendo did this name change on purpose now.
Look at all the commotion a name such a 'Wii' gives, it's the attention they want.

Nintendo always liked to stand out, be out of the box, with it's original games and such.
And telling you the truth they didn't any original names to the their consoles so far.

And now they're trying really to stand out that now they giving the fans a weird name and soon will publish all they're games (that probably be as weird as the name) and get more attention and the console will get even more famous.

But seriously not buying to console because of it's name is absurd.
And also Kawaii Ryűkishi is right you refer it to 'wee' when it's suppose to be 'we'.

Flying Mullet
04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
I agree that the rest of the world won't find it funny but remember that they named it "Wii" and pronounced it "wee" to mimic the word "we" very specifically.

Necronopticous
04-28-2006, 06:15 PM
What's the big deal? Christ.

Madame Adequate
04-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Why do you give a smurf what other people think of the gaming consoles you own? Not buying a console just because of its name is absurd.

That's not what I was saying. I'm saying people aren't likely to give it a chance based on that. I could be wrong - maybe the silliness will pique their curiosity - but I doubt it. As to my grandmother, you have no idea how long she will make fun of something like that and how annoying it gets :p

Besides, what's so terrible about buying/not buying a console based on the name? It's a criteria to measure it buy. Doesn't matter much to me whether it's got a dumb name, but that doesn't mean it's not on to make a judgement based on that. And as I said, the longtime gamers are probably much more willing to overlook something like that because they do care most about the games/system abilities, but is some average joe in the street going to buy something with a silly name and a weird controller, or something everyone on Earth knows about and knows works pretty well most of the time?

And aside from all the rest, what are Nintendo on, trying to make it out to be some big revolutionary social movement? I mean, Coca-Cola are bad enough with their everyone is happy and singing commercials, but Jesus above, this is something else entirely. So in conclusion, it's not just the name, it's what the name seems emblematic of - poor business sense. To be fair, as has been said, everyone is talking about it, so maybe it will work out well in the long run. But it's still a stupid name. As Cz says.

By the way, the presence of the two 'i's is what causes the mind to gravitate towards 'wee' rather than 'we'. After all, if you said 'Wii' as it was written, you'd probably come up with a more extended pronunciation.

Raistlin
04-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Besides, what's so terrible about buying/not buying a console based on the name? It's a criteria to measure it buy.
So is the color of the box. Just because it's a possible criteria doesn't make it any less retarded.

Madame Adequate
04-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Besides, what's so terrible about buying/not buying a console based on the name? It's a criteria to measure it buy.
So is the color of the box. Just because it's a possible criteria doesn't make it any less retarded.

That was actually something I was going to say about it. Frankly, if something is beige or puce or the like, it doesn't come into my house unless I need it to live. So if something has a retarded name I might not let it in. Same way I didn't go to McDonald's for nearly two years because their ad campaign was irritating.

I've never liked Nintendo much. Overrated crap most of the time. So I was never enthused about this in the first place. This isn't a single opinion-swaying thing, it's just another nail in the coffin.

KentaRawr!
04-28-2006, 07:32 PM
This is part of the big plan of Nintendo. They needed a short, simple, yet weird name. Like Google, wikipedia, etc. Google has a weird name. When I first saw it, I was weirded out. However, Google is a rather popular thing now. Also, it's not a gaming console. Wii, while it is a gaming console, seems to be aiming towards being perceived as a "Playing" console instead. However, wii, being sick minded nerds, think of it this way first: http://mariowiifirstlook.ytmnd.com/ when we are meant to think of it THIS way: http://mitchwii.ytmnd.com/

Yourself, other people, and fun. Yourself, other people, and fun. Nintendo can't call it whee, because that's only fun. They can't call it we, because that's just yourself and other people. So, calling it Wii makes it both. Once you get past the "Wee" part, that's what it is. After that, it will just be the Wii. Not the Wee. Not yourself, other people, and fun. Just Wii. o.o We'll get used to it.

Psychotic
04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
It's a stupid idea, and I don't know why people are saying it suddenly makes it inclusive, and that it will attract non-gamers. Why? Why does calling it Wii, or "We" somehow mean that a non-gamer will be persuaded to buy it? If anything, they're going to go with a brand name they know, like the PlayStation, and to a lesser extent, the Xbox.

The fact is, Nintendo fans would buy it no matter what Nintendo did, and furthermore hail it as brilliant, and Nintendo knows this. They could paint it bright pink and call it "This console is a steaming pile of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. No, really." and they'd eat it up as long as they get their next installment in the Mario, Zelda and Metroid series. If you're a Nintendo fan, buy it. This console is for you. I suspect you will enjoy it immensely. But does anybody genuinely think it will attract casual and non-gamers, and that, in terms of sales, the PS won't pummel it into the ground, just as it did with Nintendo's previous consoles? That's not going to revolutionise the gaming world, and to claim otherwise is naive at best.

Madame Adequate
04-28-2006, 07:36 PM
But Google is still a silly name, just not one which is associated with bodily fluids. Yahoo is a dumb name period, I've always hated it. And so on and so forth.

Plus, it's a console's name. It plays videogames. It's not even some multimedia extravaganza (Or at least it oughtn't to be), let alone some symbol of great togetherness. But PA says pretty much everything I could say about it; http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Del Murder
04-28-2006, 07:40 PM
What's in a name? I think it sounds dumb, but that will not factor in to whether or not I should buy it. Anyone who considers nomenclature when buying a system probably isn't smart enough to have enough money for one in the first place.

Yamaneko
04-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I just don't want to ask for a Wii when I go to Best Buy sometime after release day. Hopefully "Revolution" will stick as the unofficial name among the masses.

KentaRawr!
04-28-2006, 08:01 PM
It's a stupid idea, and I don't know why people are saying it suddenly makes it inclusive, and that it will attract non-gamers. Why? Why does calling it Wii, or "We" somehow mean that a non-gamer will be persuaded to buy it? If anything, they're going to go with a brand name they know, like the PlayStation, and to a lesser extent, the Xbox.

The fact is, Nintendo fans would buy it no matter what Nintendo did, and furthermore hail it as brilliant, and Nintendo knows this. They could paint it bright pink and call it "This console is a steaming pile of /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif. No, really." and they'd eat it up as long as they get their next installment in the Mario, Zelda and Metroid series. If you're a Nintendo fan, buy it. This console is for you. I suspect you will enjoy it immensely. But does anybody genuinely think it will attract casual and non-gamers, and that, in terms of sales, the PS won't pummel it into the ground, just as it did with Nintendo's previous consoles? That's not going to revolutionise the gaming world, and to claim otherwise is naive at best.

Hey, I never said the plan was smart.

Necronopticous
04-28-2006, 08:04 PM
In a time where consoles are named things like "Play Station," "Game Cube," and "X Box," I fail to see how people are so outraged at "Wii." It's original and strange, a perfect identifier to Nintendo. It's a hell of a lot better than something like "Videoterminal" or "Fundepot."

KentaRawr!
04-28-2006, 08:13 PM
In a time where consoles are named things like "Play Station," "Game Cube," and "X Box," I fail to see how people are so outraged at "Wii." It's original and strange, a perfect identifier to Nintendo. It's a hell of a lot better than something like "Videoterminal" or "Fundepot."

Actually, I like that Fundepot one. :)

Maxico
04-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Am I the only person who finds Nitendos explanation for the name 'Wii' a little pretentious?

Madame Adequate
04-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Am I the only person who finds Nitendos explanation for the name 'Wii' a little pretentious?

No, actually, that's the source of my particularly vehement stance here. I don't particularly care if they have a dumb name, I'll laugh or shake my head and move on. Though I would say 'extremely pretentious'.

Dreddz
04-28-2006, 09:19 PM
lol stop playing with your wiiners.

Zeldy
04-28-2006, 09:30 PM
lol stop playing with your wiiners.
Thats actually quite clever =P

Kawaii Ryűkishi
04-28-2006, 09:33 PM
But does anybody genuinely think it will attract casual and non-gamers, and that, in terms of sales, the PS won't pummel it into the ground, just as it did with Nintendo's previous consoles? That's not going to revolutionise the gaming world, and to claim otherwise is naive at best.The upcoming generation of consoles poses a completely different situation from before. The PS3 will offer graphics approaching photorealism at high-definition resolutions, but its controller and overall interface remain as intimidating to non-gamers as those of any PlayStation before it. It will do nothing to innovate when it comes to the basic way we already interact with games. Meanwhile, Nintendo has been focusing on that exact area for some time now, their primary agenda being to make gaming accessible to anyone. With the DS, they are already accomplishing that to a great extent, and considering all the clever and intuitive nuances of their upcoming console, they'll continue to do so with the Wii, transforming gaming from the relatively niche industry it is into something truly mainstream.

Del Murder
04-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Nintendo knows how to break ground, can't deny that, but there are the traditional gamers who like the straight forward approach. I think trying to branch out to nongamers might in fact alienate them from some of their long time loyal customers. Or maybe it's just me. All I know is I really don't like when DS games focus on using the touch screen, and I have no desire to wave a controller stick around. Then again I mainly play RPGs, and there isn't much you can do in terms of gimmicks to make those better.

Shlup
04-28-2006, 09:55 PM
C'mon guys! When you play with your Wii, you feel like urine the game!

Del Murder
04-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Shlup, that is by far the cleverest thing you have ever said.

KentaRawr!
04-28-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't see how it's clever. o_o I am a dull minded fellow. I'll try my hand at a wii joke.

The wii controller is too big. I will get the mini version when it comes out. ...

I stink at this. :(

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 10:59 PM
Y'know....for whatever reason...now I don't hate the name Wii. I don't even find it annoying, or funny. Can somebody explain this? :cat: :confused:

Madame Adequate
04-28-2006, 11:23 PM
The upcoming generation of consoles poses a completely different situation from before. The PS3 will offer graphics approaching photorealism at high-definition resolutions, but its controller and overall interface remain as intimidating to non-gamers as those of any PlayStation before it. It will do nothing to innovate when it comes to the basic way we already interact with games. Meanwhile, Nintendo has been focusing on that exact area for some time now, their primary agenda being to make gaming accessible to anyone. With the DS, they are already accomplishing that to a great extent, and considering all the clever and intuitive nuances of their upcoming console, they'll continue to do so with the Wii, transforming gaming from the relatively niche industry it is into something truly mainstream.

I don't know anybody who considers the PS to be intimidating or overwhelming. I know people who think gaming as a whole is pointless or stupid, and I know people who dislike the PS, but I don't know anyone who refuses to play one on the basis that the controls are too complex.

And gaming rakes in more cash than movies. It's already mainstream :p

oddler
04-29-2006, 04:53 AM
http://mitchwii.ytmnd.com/

Mitch rules. Period. And, more than likely, the Wii will, also.

ljkkjlcm9
04-29-2006, 04:59 AM
should this turn into a Wii joke thread?

To the hot girl at the bar
"Hey baby, come back to my place and you can play with my Wii all night!"

Pinky: Why Brain, what will Wii do tomorrow night?
Brain: The same thing Wii do(es) every night Pinky.... try to take over the world!

dude, someone who makes ytmnd..... make the pinky and the brain one!

THE JACKEL

Khaotic
04-29-2006, 06:06 AM
...Worst idea ever, I was going to go with nintendo this segment simply because I thought the name was original and cool, but now they change it? Buh bye Nintendo, hello Playstation.

Del Murder
04-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Why would you choose a system based on name alone? That makes no sense.

Khaotic
04-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Does it really matter? I don't buy a system for how powerful it is, none of that matters to me, I care more about the games it comes with and the looks "Revolution" was a good name for it, it looked advanced, and Revolution sounds advanced, but "wii" ? What is that supposed to mean?

Besides, my post was half sarcasm incase you didn't catch it, if good games come out for "wii" i'll still get it, plus its the cheapest of the 3, which is always good too.

Necronopticous
04-29-2006, 07:10 AM
...Worst idea ever, I was going to go with nintendo this segment simply because I thought the name was original and cool, but now they change it? Buh bye Nintendo, hello Playstation.For one they didn't change the name, the console was never named the Revolution, that was the name of the project to build the console, as Dolphin was the name of the Gamecube project. Two, PlayStation 2 is more original and cool than Wii? Really? And finally, are you seriously changing your mind on buying a console because you don't like the official name it was given? It isn't as if Nintendo is going to take legal action against you for calling it the Revolution.

Dreddz
04-29-2006, 08:21 PM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3347/c550f7440a17bba4327fc4f6865e03.gif

Elite Lord Sigma
04-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Hating on a system just because of its name is stupid.

NeoCracker
04-29-2006, 08:51 PM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3347/c550f7440a17bba4327fc4f6865e03.gif
Hating a system based on that, however, is slightly better, but still stupid.

Nick Schovitz
04-29-2006, 08:57 PM

I have read on several fansites that most of them don't like the name, but it's something that we will get used to by the time E3 comes around, and I think it's a smart move by the Big N to announce the name early, so it won't be the main point of discussion of E3 if it was announced in E3.

And for the record, I support the name Nintendo Wii.

Are you saying that we're to stupid to pronounce Revolution and that's why there doing it, if so that's a bunch of bull. We can't say multiple syllables so they're changing it to a one sylable word.

Captain Maxx Power
04-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Engrish never tasted so grud.

Khaotic
04-29-2006, 09:01 PM
...Worst idea ever, I was going to go with nintendo this segment simply because I thought the name was original and cool, but now they change it? Buh bye Nintendo, hello Playstation.For one they didn't change the name, the console was never named the Revolution, that was the name of the project to build the console, as Dolphin was the name of the Gamecube project. Two, PlayStation 2 is more original and cool than Wii? Really? And finally, are you seriously changing your mind on buying a console because you don't like the official name it was given? It isn't as if Nintendo is going to take legal action against you for calling it the Revolution.
Please read above your post, no reason to get all defensive when it was sarcasm, or exageration.

Also, I never said playstation was more orginal, I was merely saying i'd be going with playstation, not because its original, but because its playstation and will eventually have all the future Final Fantasys. Please don't put words I did not say in my posts to make yourself look superior.

Zeromus_X
04-29-2006, 09:02 PM
It's still going to pwn all the other systems. Except for...like...PS3.

Well, whatever. I know I'm going to go wee over the Wii. :cat:

Edit: Dammit.

Cz
04-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Shlup won this thread ages ago.

I'm not sure if Nintendo's gamble with the Wii's control system will pay off. The DS is certainly doing well, but that might have more to do with Nintendo's existing dominance of the handheld market, and the PSP's less than stellar performance so far. The home console market is a whole different matter, and one in which Nintendo is already lagging behind. They'll always have a solid fanbase in Japan, and the hard core of screaming fanboys in the west, but what of the middle-of-the-road, undecided gamer? Given a choice between the three next-gen consoles, the Wii's control system may well be off-putting. The simplicity of the Wii pad more or less rules out multi-platform conversions, so say goodbye to all of your favourite sports titles and FPS games. And if developer support for the new system is poor, then we'll see very few third-party projects for the system at all. Of course, there'll still be the Nintendo classics: Mario, Zelda, Metroid and the like, but will they necessarily be enough, particularly if we just get Mario Sunshine with a funny control system?

Of course, if Nintendo manages to capture the casual, non-gaming market then this won't be a problem. But the general public are a difficult bunch to please, and may well fail to be impressed by the Wii's new approach to gameplay. After all, is it really fundamentally all that different to the Eye Toy, in that it offers a simpler, more physical way to play games? Distinctive control methods are nothing new, and they haven't set the world alight in the past.

Craig
04-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I'm not going to let a silly name stop me from buying a console.

NM
04-29-2006, 09:24 PM
When i read about the name yesterday, I thought it was some kind of joke. I just don't understand why Nintendo would think that a word that sounds like a bodily function is a good name for thier product.

I think Nintendo have shot themselves in the foot, when they have a very good system. But giving it such a stupid name will put people off. People who like Nintendo (me) will still buy it, but your average joe, casual gamer, whaever you want to call them isn't going to buy something called Wii, especially when you need a paragraph of text to explain what context the name is in meaning to.

And to those people saying things like Google etc, are stupid names. Yes they are, but they don't have people giggeling when they read them and making silly joke's.

As an example, if someone said "I like Pooh!" What would be the first thing that came to mind! A yellow bear, or something altogether nastier? If a word has a double meaning, one of which is a source of something amusing, or considered rude, thats the one people will think of first. I mean your buying a game in a shop and the assistant, says something like "Interested in a Wii?" Most people would look at them like they have some kind of mental condition.

Nintendo like to break the mold and try new things, but calling the Revolution, Wii, is just a bad move imo, and i would say from looking around the internet, most gamers think the same.

Childish joke time. :p

My Wii is Yellow! What colour is yours? :tongue:

Ultima Shadow
04-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Well, atleast the name "Wii" gets a lot more attention and discussions around it than the names "Playstation 3" and "Xbox 360". That alone may be a small advantage for Nintendo.

Anyways... I don't really care. No matter what they name it, I'll still get it.

Rainecloud
04-29-2006, 10:46 PM
Me (Customer): Hi. Can I have a Wii, please?
Cashier: *lol*

Enough said.

On a serious note, I'll definitely be buying the console, and I think the name is cool.

Zeromus_X
04-29-2006, 11:28 PM
When i read about the name yesterday, I thought it was some kind of joke. I just don't understand why Nintendo would think that a word that sounds like a bodily function is a good name for thier product.

The thing is, it's only going to be in English that it'll be funny in. In Asia, it's not going to be a big deal. So...it's kinda funny that way.

DeathKnight
04-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Hating on a system just because of its name is stupid.

Dreddz
04-30-2006, 12:45 AM
I dont think people hate the system, they just dont like the idea of calling it wii. I think Nintendo will change the name, this has caused such an outrage. They are probably reconsidering the name now.

LunarWeaver
04-30-2006, 01:08 AM
I dont think people hate the system, they just dont like the idea of calling it wii. I think Nintendo will change the name, this has caused such an outrage. They are probably reconsidering the name now.

Nintendo doesn't listen to anyone, they just sort of do what they want. Usually works out for me though.

I think this "outrage" over Wii is the best thing that's happened to them. Sure didn't see the Revolution being debated this much.

Wii is still a better name then iPod and Xbox *evades*

Madame Adequate
04-30-2006, 01:47 AM
Why would you choose a system based on name alone? That makes no sense.

Actually, a case - though a somewhat tenuous one - could be made. If you do in fact think the name will hurt sales, then it's probably wiser to go with another console; ie a well-funded and supported one, instead of one which might not get the sales needed to make it viable to make games for. I think it highly unlikely that this would occur, but given some of Nintendo's other business... decisions over the last decade, it's just another sign of them being completely bat/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif insane. I don't know that I want to buy a completely bat/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif insane company's console if they can't support it for the reasonably expected five years.

ljkkjlcm9
04-30-2006, 01:54 AM
you're all looking at it as people now hearing Wii laughing. But when I say Wii around my friends now, they know I mean the new game system. It's akready sticking as something not as a joke, but a game system. So when people say Wii, you think game, and not piss or penis.

It's taking something and changing what you commonly think of, and I know, whenever I hear Wii or We, I think the new system now, and that's marketing genius people

THE JACKEL

Ballistix Man
04-30-2006, 01:56 AM
Wii makes me think dick.

Boyfriend to Girlfriend

Boyfriend: Hey hun wanna go play on my new game system?
Girlfriend : Oh yeah I'll defeinately play on your wii.

DeathKnight
04-30-2006, 04:59 AM
ALOT of United Statiens make me sad.

Well I'm ok with it, it's THEIR system, people can cry 'bout it, they'll just laugh 'bout it:D :up:

Oasis Writer
04-30-2006, 05:45 AM
A Wii??? What does that even mean? No, I'm not going to buy it, no Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid going to it, so I'm not going to waste money on it. Specially on a "Wii"

fantasyjunkie
04-30-2006, 08:06 AM
I will get it because I have bought every system since the SNES(except Dreamcast because I got laid off from work :( ), but I had to go to the official Nintendo website before I could believe they had such a dumb name :mad: My wife just broke into laughter and shes a Nintendo fanboy. errr Fangirl :D

Slothy
04-30-2006, 01:39 PM
But giving it such a stupid name will put people off. People who like Nintendo (me) will still buy it, but your average joe, casual gamer, whaever you want to call them isn't going to buy something called Wii, especially when you need a paragraph of text to explain what context the name is in meaning to.

I whole heartidly agree with your take. If Nintendo is after more of the casual gamer market, they're going about it in entirely the wrong way (but then, they seem to enjoy doing things that fly in the face of good business sense as often as possible). Think about how they're viewed by the casual gamer. A lot of people in that market view Nintendo as being for kids. Those of us in the know know their games are fun for all ages, but when on the outside looking in, Nintendo doesn't really do anything to make people question their assumption. Now take a system that will inherently be seen as being for kids by a large chunk of it's potential market, and name it wii. Name it something that sounds like a joke to get the 6 year olds giggling?

The name might not make anyone planning on buying it change their mind, but those who aren't already on board due to their own biases and misconceptions are likely going to be even more put off. Let's face it, it makes it sounds like a kids toy. Not the sort of thing Nintendo should be doing if they actually want some more market share this time around. Revolution was a cool sounding name, and if you ask me did the complete opposite of reinforce the idea that it was for kids. They'd be better off naming this thing Dolphin....

If the name doesn't change, then it'll be a bad move on Nintendo's part as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to have to start making a list, cause it's starting to be troublesome to keep track of their bad decisions.

ljkkjlcm9
04-30-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm still trying to get across to all of you "Wii makes me think dick, or piss." Yeah but whenever you hear We, you also think of the new game system. I mean, I'm with my friends, and one of my friends says, "So we're are We going to eat?" I reply... "Wiiiiiiiiii!" And we all laugh, because we all thought of the Wii system. It's becoming something that is so common and makes you think of the system so often. It truly is marketing genius, and if you can't see that, you're just blind.

THE JACKEL

omnitarian
04-30-2006, 06:09 PM
If Nintendo is after more of the casual gamer market, they're going about it in entirely the wrong way (but then, they seem to enjoy doing things that fly in the face of good business sense as often as possible).

That's just the thing, though- Nintendo isn't going after the casual gamer market. They tried going after the casual gamers for the past two generations, and it didn't work very well.

Nintendo wants the Wii to go along the same road as the DS. The DS is a phenomenal success in Japan not because of Final Fantasies, but because of things like this (http://www.gadgetspy.co.uk/wp-content/photos/nintendogs.JPG) and this (http://www.n-sider.com/media/news-2006-04-18-brain_age_cover.jpg) and this (http://www.gamemag.nl/previews/fronts/43d3582fd1f6cboxart_us_animal-crossing-wild-world.jpg).

DeathKnight
04-30-2006, 09:07 PM
A Wii??? What does that even mean? No, I'm not going to buy it, no Final Fantasy or Metal Gear Solid going to it, so I'm not going to waste money on it. Specially on a "Wii"

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is EXPECTED to go to Wii:tonberry:

and life ain't 'bout FF and Metal Gear. It's also 'bout Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Mario Kart, and NEW GREAT games which Nintendo keep making.:tonberry:

DJZen
05-02-2006, 04:27 AM
I love the ideas that Nintendo has for the console, but I really don't like this name. I keep hoping I'm going to wake up and read the REAL announcement for the name. I'm still gonna buy it, I think it's got a lot to offer, I'm excited about the possibilities that the new controller offers, but I think the name is terrible.

Nintendo claims that it is a "simple, fun and approachable name" that will revolutionize the industry by attracting more gamers. I think they were high when they came up with that publicity blurb. It might sound cool to the Japanese, but in America, the word itself just sounds ridiculous. Non-gamers aren't going to be attracted to the word itself. Last time I checked, non-gamers just aren't interested in ANY new game console period. This isn't to say that because of the name that they won't buy the system, but rather to say that IF they do buy it will be in SPITE of the name. A good product with a bad name is still a good product, but it still has a bad name. Meanwhile, the name itself certainly hasn't done anything to win over the hearts of PS3 and X360 fanboys who already thought that Nintendo's irreverent brand of fun was "gay".

I will buy the console, regardless of how embarassing it will be to go to the clerk and ask for a Wii. I will enjoy it, despite my sister constantly joking about how I spend too much time playing with my Wii. It may very well be the greatest thing ever, but that doesn't change the fact that the name is awful.

I just spent entirely too much time writing this.

FallenAngel411
05-02-2006, 05:06 AM
Well, my wallet only has room for one next-gen console, and that will have to be the PS3. However, I think Wii is a pretty damn funny name, and this thread has made me laugh quite a few times. I should thank Nintendo for that alone. :3

But seriously, I'm sure it'll be a great system regardless of what Nintendo finally decides on for the name. And you know what? Whatever name they do decide on, however odd at first, will eventually become a household name, and you all know it. Because that is the power of Nintendo. We'll all be saying "Wii" like its a famous historical document or something, and bowing before the majesty of its glorious name. Just give it a few months. They'll have us all brainwashed. Oui?

Lychon
05-02-2006, 05:29 AM

With that said, if amuses me that a product called "Wii" has a controller that looks like a sex toy. COMPLETE WITH RUMBLE PACK!!! :p

With mirth and merriment!

-LYCHON

P.S. NINTENDO OWNS ALL!!!
P.P.S JUGGERNAUT OWNS HULK!!!

oddler
05-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Oui?

Wow. Best one yet! :)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Every single joke that could be made about the Wii was already made within seventy-two hours of its announcement. Even if you think you've come up with a super-clever one, stop yourself and remember that it has already been done. In fact, it's already been done a thousand times or more.

Shaun
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I admit. The name is a setback. However, it's not only the name that makes me unsure about the, er... Wii. I think Nintendo started going wrong years back - since the GameCube days. There's deviating, and there's deviating a Wii bit too much. I've lost my faith in Nintendo, personally. Look at what they've done to all the major franchises...

In Mario games, they've introducted the abomination who is Waluigi, and they've tried adding a storyline when there really is no point at all. They've just made the Mario franchise what it was never meant to be. I could go on about it for ages, but there's no point. I think they've tried too hard to change the gameplay experience in Zelda too. Take Wind Waker for example. It's good fun, yes, but it just doesn't feel like Zelda. Ugh, I could go on about more for this too.

Heck, I'm tired, I've got work soon, so I'm not gonna bother. You've also got to consider that in England, 'wee' has even more meaning. With a large amount of gamers being chavs, who'd rather spend their money on FIFA Street 2, do you really think they're going to "buy a wee?" I think not.

DeathKnight
05-03-2006, 05:09 PM
I admit. The name is a setback. However, it's not only the name that makes me unsure about the, er... Wii. I think Nintendo started going wrong years back - since the GameCube days. There's deviating, and there's deviating a Wii bit too much. I've lost my faith in Nintendo, personally. Look at what they've done to all the major franchises...

In Mario games, they've introducted the abomination who is Waluigi, and they've tried adding a storyline when there really is no point at all. They've just made the Mario franchise what it was never meant to be. I could go on about it for ages, but there's no point. I think they've tried too hard to change the gameplay experience in Zelda too. Take Wind Waker for example. It's good fun, yes, but it just doesn't feel like Zelda. Ugh, I could go on about more for this too.

Heck, I'm tired, I've got work soon, so I'm not gonna bother. You've also got to consider that in England, 'wee' has even more meaning. With a large amount of gamers being chavs, who'd rather spend their money on FIFA Street 2, do you really think they're going to "buy a wee?" I think not.

Everything you just said was said 'bout the DS and look where it is.

Funny, you'll SEE how much it'll sell:chuckle:

United Statiens talk to much, in the end they'll buy the damn system.:tonberry:

KentaRawr!
05-03-2006, 05:21 PM

o.o That doesn't seem like much to me. They added a story to Mario, added a character to Mario, and made the Wind Waker. The first one sounds horrible, but when I play Super Mario Sunshine (Assuming that is the one you were referring to), most of the time I am going through levels collecting stars and coins. It just so happens that some story elements happen in the middle as well as at the beginning and the end. Waluigi is a dumb character, yes, but he's just a character who appears in the sports games. About Zelda, I can't really see why the Wind Waker doesn't feel like Zelda besides the Cel-Shaded graphic style, but it really was a one time thing besides Zelda PH. o.o

Please note: Anything that sounds rude in this post was not intentional.

Slothy
05-03-2006, 08:52 PM
I would agree with you Shaun that Nintendo's been slipping in their first party titles since the GC came out, though I don't really agree with your reasons. I could list plenty of problems I've seen in first party Nintendo game I've played over the last several years, but I don't want to get off topic here. The thread is about the name "Wii" after all. I did like how you slipped Wii in place of we, and such though. Surprisingly, I don't think I've actually noticed someone do that since the name was announced. Then again, I tend to skim posts, and I'm not that observent all the time, so what do I know.

Madame Adequate
05-04-2006, 04:59 AM
Nintendo have been doing weird stuff since the N64, nevermind the GC. It's the handheld market which has kept them from going the way of SEGA, as far as I was aware.

DeathKnight
05-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Nintendo have been doing weird stuff since the N64, nevermind the GC. It's the handheld market which has kept them from going the way of SEGA, as far as I was aware.

Not really. Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and their other great franchises kept and will KEEP Nintendo in business.

Markus. D
05-04-2006, 06:42 AM
I want a Nintendo Schit....

:|

I wouldnt mind buying a Wii.

Axel Gaius
05-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Seriously, I never thought that something as insignificant as a name could cause a console to bomb, but I'm sure that in Western countries it could be the case with the Revolution.

It's been called the 'Wii', pronounced 'wee'. No, I'm not kidding either. I really don't think I can buy any product with such a ridiculous name. I could just picture the situation now: "What did you get for Christmas?" "I got a wee." Dear God no...

Topic: Did hearing about the new Revolution name make you wince? Do you think such a ridiculous name could possibly give you doubts about buying it? Are you going to buy a 'Wii'?

Hey, I wouldn't care if they called it poop if it is a good console it is a good console and worth buying. :tonberry:

Hawkeye
05-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Every single joke that could be made about the Wii was already made within seventy-two hours of its announcement. Even if you think you've come up with a super-clever one, stop yourself and remember that it has already been done. In fact, it's already been done a thousand times or more.
That's wiilley retarded!

Ho ho ho I bet you didn't think of that one now did you.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-07-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't care if "Wii" is the official name of the Next-Gen Nintendo system I'm still going to call it the "Revolution" it just sounds better in my opinion.