PDA

View Full Version : Huge change of difficulty...

Peter_20
04-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Alright, I restarted this game two days ago, and the first day I played until I got Layla and reached Dist.
Now here's the problem: Dist Cave is ridiculously hard.
I mean, I breezed through everything else, except for the Gigant chest in the Warship, and now I suddenly have to run around in a huge cave consisting of tons of those Gigants? WTF? :eek:
I've been leveling up for quite a while by fighting Soldiers in Phin, and I even got some great equipment from Mysidia (Ice Bow ftw!), but I'm still having GIGANT-ic problems with this Dist Cave thingy.
What do the developers want me to do, anyway?
Am I supposed to start power-leveling now, all of a sudden?
How did YOU complete this thing, without using the cheap Select/Cancel glitch and whatever?

(I don't wanna use the glitches, the game gets a completely different feeling if you let Stats develop by themselves)

boys from the dwarf
04-28-2006, 04:43 PM
i always used to get stuck on this cave. it takes me ages to find the boss. i did the cave in the middle of the ocean where you get one of the masks before dist cave. then i looked again. i might have looked at an online map of the cave but i think that was another cave on a completely different game.if you warp out of the cave then go back in you might end up doing something different and taking a different stair or ladder without really realizing and that can (if your lucky.) make you almost accidently complete. just try and try and try again and go down every possible ladder and stairway because some floors have more than one. hope this helps you.

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 04:50 PM
What version are you playing? (Emulator/Origins/Dawn of Souls?)

Peter_20
04-28-2006, 04:51 PM
What version are you playing? (Emulator/Origins/Dawn of Souls?)NES emulator.

Zeromus_X
04-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Did you play through it the first time that way?

As for another question (I haven't played this game in awhile), are you strong enough to go to Mysidia yet? If you are, I'd suggest buying three Swap (or 'Change', whatever it's called) spells, and use those to raise your stats, by swapping the plants near the beginning of the game. Or, if you don't feel like 'cheating', then you could just train normally, I suppose. :p

DarkLadyNyara
04-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Teleport is your friend. Level it up and insta- kill the gigas. :D

Captain Maxx Power
04-28-2006, 08:26 PM
Go into the dungeon, work your way down, when low on health Teleport out. Rinse and repeat. Each time you attempt a dungeon in FF2 you'll become slightly stronger until you can get through to the boss with adequate HP/MP to take it down.

Snap Jumper
04-29-2006, 04:39 AM
Go into the dungeon, work your way down, when low on health Teleport out. Rinse and repeat. Each time you attempt a dungeon in FF2 you'll become slightly stronger until you can get through to the boss with adequate HP/MP to take it down.

Exactly. Just board the ship and check in at Bafsk. I'd suggest doing that every time you get a HP or MP increase.

Peter_20
04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
I'd suggest buying three Swap (or 'Change', whatever it's called) spells, and use those to raise your stats, by swapping the plants near the beginning of the game.This IS a very good strategy, but I'm this über-pure kind of player, and I don't want my main chosen fighters (Gus and Leon) gain any MP or any magic-related stats, because I want them to be pure fighters. :rolleyes2
This strategy would work nicely with Firion and Maria, though: the Paladin and the Black Mage. :D

DJZen
04-30-2006, 12:54 AM
two words man: agility gear.

Hayabusa
05-03-2006, 02:14 AM
TRAIN hard- I'm currently on it- I'm fairing well - before you go in TRAIN- Beat the fook out of yourself by attacking yourself to raise HP - My big defense has been Boosting my magic, in spellls and more MP - Get it all up, Attack your self with magic in a battle while healing so Four things are happening, HP and stamina growth, Magic defense growth, Magic growth, MP growth, and spell growth, -WOW! That's more than 4 - Or smack yourself - Fight A LOT of battles like me so you have GIL up the but and buy 99 potions - FFII seems to be a lot harder with the money though, but just TRAIN man. You can do it, put your back into it....

Snap Jumper
05-03-2006, 04:15 AM
Fight A LOT of battles like me so you have GIL up the but and buy 99 potions

That can't be done on the Nes or Origins version because of the item inventory limit.

Hayabusa
05-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Fight A LOT of battles like me so you have GIL up the but and buy 99 potions

That can't be done on the Nes or Origins version because of the item inventory limit.

.............. No son, A potion takes up one slot, then you have the number next to it, unless I'm crazy, but I think you're confused.

DarkLadyNyara
05-03-2006, 06:25 PM
.............. No son, A potion takes up one slot, then you have the number next to it, unless I'm crazy, but I think you're confused.

No, actually, on Origins, he's right. Each potion takes up one slot.

Reine
05-03-2006, 09:58 PM
In Origins, you may have 63 different items, and each one takes up a slot, as in if you have 3 Elixirs, they will take up 3 of your 63 slots

Hayabusa
05-03-2006, 11:53 PM
My apologies, I was indeed mistaken. Well then, TRAIN anyway! lol

Snap Jumper
05-03-2006, 11:54 PM

That's a big part of why the Origins version is harder. Potions will be found in chests and clutter up the inventory. It reduces space for better items. They changed it for DOS, where one slot can hold 99 of an item.

rubah
05-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Of course when you play the NES version you only get 32 item slots.

DarkLadyNyara
05-04-2006, 04:48 PM
That's a big part of why the Origins version is harder. Potions will be found in chests and clutter up the inventory. It reduces space for better items. They changed it for DOS, where one slot can hold 99 of an item.

Does that include key items?

blacknoir_619
06-05-2006, 01:39 PM
so this guys having trouble in the dist cave and hes been to mystia first, why doesnt he go to the black mask cave first its easier i did that first and it worked for me, as for your gigas problem lol agility gear has been said get theives gloves ect or blind and blink magic used togehter bearly anything can hit you and you can get them off wz ogres in that very cave so consider yourself luckly :) or from the path to the war ship oppersite direction from phin

Snap Jumper
06-11-2006, 06:45 PM

Does that include key items?

Yes, it does. And you can't sell them off either. Stinkin' canoe!!!

Peter_20
06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Just exactly WHY do the characters carry around a canoe, a pass, masks and a rod all the way to the final boss? :mad:

ScottNUMBERS
06-30-2006, 11:05 AM
two words man: agility gear.