PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Sport (EOFF verison)

DeathKnight
04-30-2006, 09:21 PM
So which one is it? No matter WHICH sport wins, they're ALL great and besides it's ONLY the opinion of EOFF's peoples. But yeah it's still a good poll.

Baseball: PURE RUSH! Different EVERY DAMN day. Crazy as hell(anything can happen), controversial, Playoffs that have the ENTIRE country or even world looking into it.

Football(United States): Short but entertaining. You can follow ANY team and there's always beer in it (I personally don't like that, but most people do).

Football/Soccer(Rest of the Wolrd): Long but rewarding! International, regional, FUN, intriguing, TOUGH TOUGH rivalries.

Hockey: Long and rewarding, if you love the cold, this is the sport for you, it carries Canadian PRIDE! It unites people and it's interesting.

Basketball: Big stars which make games all the more fun, TOUGH to the bone, unpredictable at the end. VERY fast paced, BIG rush, always keeps you on your toes. good rilvaries.

PS: Those are MY thoughts, you can submit yours if you like.

Mo-Nercy
04-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Way to not accomodate for ANY sport I enjoy watching, you crazy American :mad:

My favourite sport to watch/talk about/play with friends is definitely Rugby League. Other codes of footy are fine, I don't mind watching some Rugby every now and then (I used to play it for my school in fact), I've recently jumped on AFL (Aussie rules football) but it doesn't captivate like the NRL does.

This is followed closely by motorsport. I know some people don't find any enjoyment in watching a bunch of cars go around the same circuit for 3 hours but I find that it's so much more (except for Nascar, which is pretty much just that xD). Formula One is the best, after that I love the V8 Supercar Championship we have in this country. WRC isn't as good these days as it used to be but that's only because I'm a die hard Lancer Evo fan (xD). Drift battles have also begun to take off in this country. I like it, it's very Initial D ^^

I watched Baseball once. It's boring as hell. Cricket > Baseball

DK
04-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Cricket > *

Mo-Nercy
04-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Cricket > *
:eep:

Kirobaito
05-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Such a tough decision. I love following baseball more (minor leagues), but I love watching basketball more (as long as it's not Spurs or Pistons, it's generally exciting). I'm not really sure which one to answer.

Raistlin
05-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Football is my favorite sport to watch and follow, so I voted for that. But basketball is my favorite sport to play.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-01-2006, 02:48 AM
Both to play and watch, baseball. I like the whole Yankees-Red Sox rivalry, which is the main reason I watch it.

I Took the Red Pill
05-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Futbol (Americano). But basketball's my favorite sport to play as well.

Skogs
05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Cricket > *

QFT

Of all the football codes (Gridiron, Soccer, Rubgy Union, Rugby League, Australian) I'd have to say Aussie rules is the best to watch. Of course, soccer is the truly international sport, but there's too much money in it for my liking.

Old Manus
05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Football is the one and only proper sport (no american rubbish here)

crazybayman
05-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Hockey. For the following reasons:

Fastest of the lot: Hockey

Roughest:

Well, it could be argued that North American Football is rougher, due to tackling and what not, but hockey is faster, just by nature of skating as opposed ro running. And when you get two players colliding at top speeds, as illustrated in the below link, there's not much that can be considered rougher than that. Although football defensive linemen and the like are generally bigger, making it rough in that respect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdN9NsV4zko&eurl

Watch this hit and you'll understand exactly what bayman is talking about.

And hockey is the only sport, aside from actual combat sports (like martial arts) and lacrosse in which you're actually ALLOWED to fight. Sure there's a penalty, but its just 5min in the box, and not a suspension or anything like that. Plus every team has an "enforcer" or "goon", who's role is to protect his teammates from dirty play and cheap shots. Usually, the enforcers from opposing teams square off in a fight, making for an unbelievable tilt. As per the link in the quote below below.

http://www.extremelounge.ca/flashvideo/player.php?name=goonfights

Yeah, this is a bit ugly, but that's not how it is, most of the time. :p Its probably some bush league in Quebec.

Hockey requires an incredible amount of skill. I know, so does the rest, but skating alone is something that a hockey player must begin to do from an early age. Then all that hand-eye coordination for shooting, passing, one-timing the puck, one-timing the puck on the fly. Then you've guys who are not big by any means (I'm talking 5'10", 180 lbs), who can fire the puck at unbelievable speeds, due to technique.

And that's what makes this sport so awesome. The speed mixed with the skill level.

Anyways, I'm not claiming its the best, because frankly there is no "best", because its all a matter of opinion and preference. I just wanted to take a little time to show those who are unfamiliar with the sport a little bit of what its all about.

It's a true gladiator sport.

Cid Vicious
05-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Boxing, Where's Boxing.
:grumble:

Out of those, Soccer.

RSL
05-05-2006, 06:04 PM
I voted for american football. It's the only sport that I can watch ever single week of the season, and every playoff game, and not get bored. I love it.

edczxcvbnm
05-05-2006, 06:19 PM
I love Basketball. Next would be Football(Not soccer) as it is easier to follow with every team only playing 16 games. But my heart is with Basketball which is why I dislike the NBA commish.

bipper
05-05-2006, 06:32 PM
American (true :p ) football is by far the greatest. No pansie footing and running away and handling a ball like a freaking figure Scater. Armor up, grab the ball, and charge into a wall of aggressivly defending players and watch the blood sweat and tears pour in a supprisingly civil display!

basketball is fun to play, but the sux to watch.

Bipper

Cid Vicious
05-05-2006, 06:38 PM
American (true :p ) football is by far the greatest. No pansie footing and running away and handling a ball like a freaking figure Scater. Armor up, grab the ball, and charge into a wall of aggressivly defending players and watch the blood sweat and tears pour in a supprisingly civil display!

BipperThey wear shoulder pads.

You should watch Rugby League for a real man's sport.

crazybayman
05-05-2006, 07:07 PM

BipperThey wear shoulder pads.

Or Aussie Rules Football. :p

Burtsplurt
05-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Football (soccer). I've just been playing for a couple of hours, and I really enjoy it. I'd like to start playing a couple of times a week.

I like to follow it as well.

Raistlin
05-05-2006, 07:19 PM
They wear shoulder pads.

People who say American football is less dangerous or less physical than rugby obviously don't know anything about it. The helmets and pads make the game far more physical than rugby will ever be. Defenders tackle differently with helmets; the helmets turn into <i>weapons</i> that if someone without a helmet tried to tackle that way, they would die. Have you ever seen a quarterback being blind-sided by a 300+ pound defensive lineman? Or a wide receiver jumping in the air to catch a ball over the middle and being drilled by a 250 pound linebacker. It is not pretty.

~SapphireStar~
05-05-2006, 07:34 PM
I use to play basketball and was a huge b-ball fan. I adored the Chicago Bulls and loved Jordan, Pippen and Rodman. But sadly I had to quit basketball because of my studies and neither of my parents were willing to take me to training. Jerks.

I also love football, my team is Manchester United cause its my hometown. Im not as die hard as I once was and my fav players were Keane, Giggys and of course Cantona. Im not a fan of Rooney or when Becks played for us. I love old skool players.

bipper
05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
They wear shoulder pads.

People who say American football is less dangerous or less physical than rugby obviously don't know anything about it. The helmets and pads make the game far more physical than rugby will ever be. Defenders tackle differently with helmets; the helmets turn into <i>weapons</i> that if someone without a helmet tried to tackle that way, they would die. Have you ever seen a quarterback being blind-sided by a 300+ pound defensive lineman? Or a wide receiver jumping in the air to catch a ball over the middle and being drilled by a 250 pound linebacker. It is not pretty.

I very much agree with this. All of it. Football is more aggressive, in a smart way.

Cless
05-05-2006, 07:45 PM
My heart lies with football/soccer.

Loony BoB
05-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I added a few options.

And for the record, Dan is correct. Cricket is awesome.

People who say American football is less dangerous or less physical than rugby obviously don't know anything about it. The helmets and pads make the game far more physical than rugby will ever be. Defenders tackle differently with helmets; the helmets turn into weapons that if someone without a helmet tried to tackle that way, they would die. Have you ever seen a quarterback being blind-sided by a 300+ pound defensive lineman? Or a wide receiver jumping in the air to catch a ball over the middle and being drilled by a 250 pound linebacker. It is not pretty.
I know people who have played both. They say rugby is a rougher sport by a long way. Not more dangerous, and they're probably about equally as physical. But roughness and how much damage you feel, they say rugby. I can't remember which form of rugby, though... I think they said it was rugby league, but I'm not 100% sure. The person I'm thinking of is an American, although he's not the only one I've seen say it.

Maybe it all goes down to personal experiences, though.

EDIT: They also noted that any rugby player would be out of his league if they were to play American football, and vice versa, as they are pretty much completely different.

Having played on an organized level in both sports, I this is a fair assessment:

1. The cardiovascular demands for rugby are more intense. Football has more time in the midst of play to huddle and catch one's breath, and the plays themselves often last only a few seconds. And in football you get to rest for half the game! You won't see any 350 pound linemen lumbering around a rugby field.

2. But you will see 350 pound lineman exploding in bursts of enormous energy on a football field. Being the sole target of their attack as a linebacker or defensive back, when your attention is supposed to be focused on someone else who has the ball, is an unpleasant experience not available in rugby. And sometimes there are two of them.

3. There is a reason that football players wear padding and helmets. The hitting is more severe. In part this is due to the fact that they have helmets in the first place.

4. In my first-ever rugby game I used a football-style tackle, putting my face right in the guy's sternum, on a goal-line play. The results were outstanding, jarring the ball loose and preventing a score. My opponent broke his collarbone and I suffered a concussion. As rugby players will have it, we became good friends and admiring opponents for three years. But I learned never to tackle that way again without a helmet!

5. The rugby songs and beer beat anything football has ever devised.

On balance, I left rugby games far more exhausted, bruised and bloodied than I did football games. But I left more opponents either injured or in pain on the football field.

Both a great, intense games, whose requirements are as different as they are similar. Both provide opportunities for life lessons that are irreplaceable. To argue in favor of one over the other is to be a fan. To disrespect one over the other is to never have played the other.

Slade
05-06-2006, 12:13 PM
I used to play squash and I absolutly loved it. So SQUASH gets my vote. If it was multiple I'd also go for cricket and softball because they are both awsome sports and I've also been in teams for both.

escobert
05-09-2006, 06:49 PM
football! go bears!

Ashley Schovitz
05-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Football, and as for you british blokes I mean real football as in this
http://www.onlineseats.com/upload/sports/63_spt_63_spt_carolina-panthers1.jpg
Edit: and to qoute, WHAT'S CALVINBALL!?

crazybayman
05-09-2006, 07:27 PM
oh you people.

you all really have yet to find out how much hockey pwns all these sports. :rolleyes2

Raistlin
05-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I know people who have played both. They say rugby is a rougher sport by a long way. Not more dangerous, and they're probably about equally as physical. But roughness and how much damage you feel, they say rugby. I can't remember which form of rugby, though... I think they said it was rugby league, but I'm not 100% sure. The person I'm thinking of is an American, although he's not the only one I've seen say it.
It depends on what position you play. A running back is probably made safer by the pads, simply because he's typically hit in situations similar to rugby: with his shoulders down and he's always prepared. However, if you're a quarterback and get slammed in the back when you're standing straight up and not expected it, or if you're a wide receiver that gets drilled when he jumps straight up to catch a ball, I would argue that it would hurt more than any hits in rugby. In rugby, you're never in a position to get hit straight-up like that.

EDIT: They also noted that any rugby player would be out of his league if they were to play American football, and vice versa, as they are pretty much completely different.
Yeah, it's two completely different styles. Rugby is definitely more intense cardio-wise, because they're less pauses. Rugby also values more overall athleticism, unlike with football, which has very specialized positions. Also, offenders don't play defense in football, so the same guys aren't on the field the whole time. I'm not talking about how exhaustive a game is (soccer and basketball would beat football), just how hard the hits are. They're not really comparable, because you tackle differently. But I am saying that the pads and the specialization of the positions allow football hits to be much more severe.

bipper
05-09-2006, 08:13 PM
In high school football I ko'ed a ref when I was playing corner. There was a Hand off fake and the quaterback droped back outa pocket for a quick throw to the reciever in which I was covering. I turned arround and began to sprint nearly side by side with my reciever and all I seen in my grill was another dudes face.

Between the ref and I the pass was never completed, but the next thing I know I was looking at the ref whom was flat on his back with a dazed smile and bloody nose. Took a good minute with the smelling salts to get him up.

Now that is football pain! The refs die here son.

Bipper

dirkdirden
05-09-2006, 08:55 PM
go suns

Bball

tidus_rox
05-14-2006, 04:25 AM
Basket ball is fun, and you can play by yourslef. I like to do that, not that im a loner but sometimes it feels good just to go outside and just shoot by yourslef. I love inviting mi freinds over to play a game or maybe even taking on my brother. He wins EVERYTIME but its fun to see me loose. Therefore basket ball is my favpurite sport. OH YEAH WHAT IS CALVINBALL?????????

escobert
05-14-2006, 04:38 AM
In high school football I ko'ed a ref when I was playing corner. There was a Hand off fake and the quaterback droped back outa pocket for a quick throw to the reciever in which I was covering. I turned arround and began to sprint nearly side by side with my reciever and all I seen in my grill was another dudes face.

Between the ref and I the pass was never completed, but the next thing I know I was looking at the ref whom was flat on his back with a dazed smile and bloody nose. Took a good minute with the smelling salts to get him up.

Now that is football pain! The refs die here son.

Bipper
One of our games a ref got taken out 4 times until he was taken off in a stretcher, it was horrid. He was too old to be the defesive judge, he was getting popped by nyself and the middle line backer all teh time. He just wouodn't get out of the way :p

Ya Boy Alex
05-14-2006, 04:42 AM
Basketball.

Rengori
05-14-2006, 06:25 AM
Basketball, folllowed by Soccer and Baseball. None I find interseting to watch, but a hell of a lot of fun to play.

DeathKnight
05-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Soccer IS the sport of the World:)

Captain Maxx Power
05-30-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't see Dwarf Tossing on this list.

black orb
05-30-2006, 10:42 PM
>>> Football soccer, I love to watch it but I hate playing it..
I dont practice sports but I would like to start praying Tennis.