PDA

View Full Version : Got Chrono Trigger, so far not impressed at all

PontiusPilate
05-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Okay so i heard so much about Chrono Trigger that it had the best story of any videogame and that its a classic everyone should get. I am a hardcore Final Fantasy fan (as im sure everyone in this forum is) and i thought i would surely like it as everyone else did. So i played it and so far im not really impressed. i mean, the story is good, not great. Not a story that should be considered the best story in a game of all time. Other games that i think had a better story and better characters... (KH, KH II, FF VII, Shadow of the Colossus, Resident Evil, Onimusha 3 etc...) Im at the part where they fight this huge ancient guardien which can be see on the back of the disc box. Does it get better?

Second Question is, Should I get Chrono Cross? Is it any better than Chrono Trigger?

LunarWeaver
05-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Well if the hype-machine consumed you before you picked it up it was going to underwhelm you no matter what. Also, it being an older game now, I'm sure it wasn't quite all that and a bag of chips like it was back then.

However, it does have a good and original story to it that I believe competes with many games today. Just don't think about it so much or it will never please you. If you are all about recent games such as Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy VII your expectation should not be "Chrono Trigger will be my favorite game of all time," because I highly doubt it will be.

Just keep playing until the end and then you either like it or not I suppose.

As for Chrono Cross, others will tell you it is better, some say it is the same, and others say it is horrible. Yes, I know that all games have those three opinions, but this one is in particular highly debatable among fans. Just read some reviews on it and make the best judgment possible based off their opinion for yourself.

Patchy
05-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Personally, I love Chrono Cross, much more than Chrono Trigger. It may even appeal to you more because you seem to like newer games (based on your examples). But, as Lunar has said, everyone will tell you CC either rocks, sucks, or is no different.

I'd say the main reason that Chrono Series appeals to me is that it's based on Chronology, time travel, manipulation, FATE, da-da-da, etc, etc, and I find that subject deeply interesting and thought-provoking. Keep playing, and if you truly find it unbearable, I guess it's just not your cup of tea.

Nu nu.

edczxcvbnm
05-02-2006, 06:37 AM
All I hear is blah blah blah about the story. Half the reason the game is so great is because of it's unique battle system. From area attacks, line attacks, dual techs, triple techs, magic and tech skills made the game different. Also the fact that enemies moved around made it interesting also as you could chance waiting for them to get into position to do that area attack.

The music is great, battle system is great and it also has some of the best graphics on the SNES and is one of the biggest game ever released on the SNES reach 4 MB in size...very few games ever came close to that in size and only a few surpassed it.

Another great thing about the game(as you will find out) is the side quests at the end. They are free form and all actually tell a good part of the story for each character.

Then there is new game + and all the different endings you can achieve so replay is high.

There are multiple approches to activating the final battle with the boss of the game on top of that.

For those reasons and more it is hailed as one of the best games ever.

Zeromus_X
05-02-2006, 06:41 AM
And you just have to do a New Game+ to get to the Developer's Room! :P :cat:

LunarWeaver
05-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Oh my, I've overlooked the battle system. Yes, one of the best about... Simply engaging on all RPG-fan levels. Lots to combine, lots to do, never-ending supply of good.

Plus the music gives me the willies from how great it is.

The ultimate reason to smother Chrono Trigger with fanboy love is Lucca though :p

NeoCracker
05-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I originally thought Cross was mediocer and Trigger was shear raw awsome. Though playing through Cross again I noticed a lot of connections between the two games such as refrences and story connections I didn't notice at first, making the game a whole lot funner. Still prefered trigger, but both very enjoyable.

LunarWeaver
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
I like Trigger better because I'm a character guy. Cross just had a bunch of nobodies that said the same thing in their own dialect depending on if they were in the second or third slot.

Seeing as the main character doesn't talk and the only important character is really not a battle party member 99% of the game, that sort of bugs me... But the overall plot was good. I guess I require both in unison for a game to truly be amazing to me.

That said, the battle system is my favorite any RPG has ever devised. Makes me all torn in two.

How did Chrono Cross get a perfect 10 on Gamespot ,the only RPG to get the honor. Disturbs me

edczxcvbnm
05-02-2006, 05:27 PM
How did Chrono Cross get a perfect 10 on Gamespot ,the only RPG to get the honor. Disturbs me

Not only that but it is one of probably 4 games to ever recieve that honor.

Everything they rank a game on to come up with that score is a 10. Graphics are some of the best you will see on the PSX. Music and sound is top notch. Gameplay is very balanced with some depth. The value you get is very high due to the complex story that most have to play a few times to fully understand, new game +, the wealth of characters to 'collect' and muliple endings.

Everything they base their score on is that high and the game deserves it. Most RPGs suffer in the value, tilt or graphics category. Value because most do not offer incentive to play through again. Graphics because there is so much to design that it usually takes a hit in that category and tilt is obviously the reviewers opinion to help move the score for their own intangible reasons.

LunarWeaver
05-02-2006, 06:00 PM
While on a personal level Cross would get an 8/10 for me, were I a professional game critic and it wasn't about my feelings I'm not really against it getting a perfect 10... But I think there are RPGs that are superior in graphics, gameplay, and story to this one, so I'm not sure it all syncs up. Kind of like Xenosaga Episode II getting a 7.8 and Final Fantasy X-2 getting an 8.1 when the reviews complain about identical problems for both. X-2 might have a better battle system but then XS-2 had a better story... and in my opinion they both deserve a 7.8... But the Final Fantasy name's sway is a powerful one.

And don't get me started Crystal Chronicles getting an 8 -_-

Anyway, not like Gamespot decides it all for us, just saying. I do think Cross deserved its 10 though, it was top-notch in every area a game is supposed to be in. Plus it lets you hold a button to speed up the battles, which is something I've wanted in an RPG forever.

And Lucca is in it too :choc2:

PontiusPilate
05-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I thought CC did have a very creative battle system. Shame FF didn't follow in its footsteps. Turn-based battles are incredibly lame, if the FF series didnt have the great graphics, sound, story, and characters the game would have never made it and even though they do, i still get kind of bored sometimes.

What's the battle system in Chrono Cross compared to CT

Crossblades
05-08-2006, 12:03 AM
I feel Chrono Trigger is a much better game than Chrono Cross. It has a better story and a better cast of characters. Plus, it has high replay value because of new game plus

Skarr
05-11-2006, 03:25 AM
Play it CT over until you like. :) CC is a good game...fun, etc, etc.

ChocoKid21
05-13-2006, 04:17 AM
I just bought CT and I think its pretty cool.

Although, I'm already a fanboy for CC because I got that 5-6 years ago and it was great :)

I never did master it though -_-

Roto13
05-14-2006, 06:18 AM
I didn't like Chrono Trigger very much. I had to firce myself to finish it. I loved Chrono Cross, though. The story and atmosphere were great!

Dreddz
05-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Everything was good, not great as everyone said so. The only thing that really shone out was the music, friggin awesome.
I say you beat CT, its still a good game. After this, you can play CC which IMO, is alot better.

Hawkeye
05-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I found Chrono Trigger to be really neat because of the fact you could go forward and backward into time. How cool is that?

The Unknown Guru
05-15-2006, 09:09 PM
All I hear is blah blah blah about the story. Half the reason the game is so great is because of it's unique battle system. From area attacks, line attacks, dual techs, triple techs, magic and tech skills made the game different. Also the fact that enemies moved around made it interesting also as you could chance waiting for them to get into position to do that area attack.

The music is great, battle system is great and it also has some of the best graphics on the SNES and is one of the biggest game ever released on the SNES reach 4 MB in size...very few games ever came close to that in size and only a few surpassed it.

Another great thing about the game(as you will find out) is the side quests at the end. They are free form and all actually tell a good part of the story for each character.

Then there is new game + and all the different endings you can achieve so replay is high.

There are multiple approches to activating the final battle with the boss of the game on top of that.

For those reasons and more it is hailed as one of the best games ever.

Exactly.

Floppie
05-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I first played Chrono Trigger when it came out on the SNES, I guess I was 8 or 9 or so...since then my SNES was fried due to faulty wiring where I was living at one point, and I sold all my games to Gamestop. Huge mistake, as I now have the engineering knowledge to fix it, but no reason to. However, I digress.

I picked up CT for the PS1 after I fixed my PS2, and play through it all the time on an emulator. I can get 100% completion in about 20 hours now without New Game+. New Game+, however, is fun for having an "ongoing" game, which can continue even after beating the final boss. However, again I digress~

Chrono Cross to me was lackluster, because I was expecting something to live up to the Chrono Trigger name. I was extremely disappointed upon playing it, to find that it did not tie in with the Chrono Trigger storyline at all, and I ended up not continuing at some point. I think I was still on the first disc.

I later found out that the storylines do, in fact, tie in...but in a way more like FF4/FF9. Actually playing through it is still on my to-do list.

I guess my advice to you is just to keep playing. Try to push what the hype planted in your mind, back out of your mind. The most boring part of the game, to me, is circa 12000BC. It just seems repetitive right there. However, before and after own. Maybe you'll get some enjoyment out of the storyline.

Omega weapon123
05-26-2006, 01:26 AM
I like trigger because of the battle system and everything in it is the best, oh and the side qeusts are hard but very cool if you do them, I got my characters really high and they know every tech and magic ( I still have a snes and that game here),but yet the boss is hard but I played through the whole story(no shortcuts through the bosses thing at the end)

jj984jj
05-26-2006, 01:55 AM
I like Trigger better because I'm a character guy. Cross just had a bunch of nobodies that said the same thing in their own dialect depending on if they were in the second or third slot.

Seeing as the main character doesn't talk and the only important character is really not a battle party member 99% of the game, that sort of bugs me... But the overall plot was good. I guess I require both in unison for a game to truly be amazing to me.

That said, the battle system is my favorite any RPG has ever devised. Makes me all torn in two.

QFT

CT is the best RPG of all time, not CC.

fire_of_avalon
05-27-2006, 06:18 AM
I've yet to finish either game, but I do believe that CT is a lot of fun. But for me, that's really all it is. There are no subtleties or complexities that you'll find in CC, which is just as much fun. I think the large cast of characters in CC is interesting, because to me, it lends the idea of the broadness. Like, in every RPG ever you are saving the world with a ragtag group of 6-10 people. In CC, you're doing it with something like 44, all from different backgrounds, with different stakes. I prefer CC to CT, but I think they're both great games.

Moon Rabbits
05-28-2006, 04:50 AM
I couldn't stand Cross, and I really liked Trigger. For awhile it held position as my favourite RPG, but that was swiped away by my second play of FFIV.

I replayed Trigger and it sort of lacked an epic feel the second time through, as do alot of RPGs I play a second time...

Cecil_Dawn
08-25-2006, 06:43 PM
Keep playing it! you'll fall in love with it!:)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-26-2006, 01:01 AM
The dude to whom you're speaking was banned quite a while ago. I'm pretty sure we can let it go.