PDA

View Full Version : Ok Strange Problem

The Last Ancient
05-02-2006, 01:57 AM
Alright is it just me or is the ps2 a big heaping pile of moldy horse /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif? I've had so many problems with it its ridiculous. Anyway I'm having a new interesting problem where I can't seem to get God of War to work. I had my copy it didn't work(got it christmas played it once, took good care of it), I rented a copy it didn't work, today I went out and bought a new copy didn't work. I've tried other games, and they're working fine so I can't figure it out. Is my ps2 just refusing to play God of War. Is there something specific with God of War, technology wise that makes it harder for ps2 to play and my older ps2 just can't handle it. I know sooner or later I'm gonna have to buy a new ps2 cause it horrible, godless system that wasn't built to last, but I don't want to just cause I'm having trouble playing God of War. Anyway anyone got any advice on how to get it to work, I've tried it on every angle, with no controller and memory card, I'm like dying to play it and I'm about to go all office space on it.

Mneme
05-02-2006, 02:04 AM
How old is your PS2 (and which version is it, old style or slim line?)? They can sometimes just get funny after awhile. My first one just lit up orange one day and wouldn't open up any more (I had to literally crack it open to get my copy of ICO out). My friends one started having trouble with DVD's, then certain games...? Sometimes you just get a bad one though for some reason. While until the day it died my old one was perfect, the later slim one I got has one problem that has proved somewhat annoying... It refuses to save for PSOne games. Can play them fine, but just doesn't recognise PS1 memory cards being there to save to. Thankfully I still have the old PSOne slim if I desperately want to revisit Vagrant Story or what not... but it's still annoying.

Necronopticous
05-02-2006, 02:08 AM
I don't know what to tell you, unfortunately PS2 is one of the least reliable production game consoles I've ever owned, and probably that has ever existed. I'm currently on my third PS2, myself. I have heard that some PS2 models are very selective about which games they will and will not play. I would say it is most likely your PS2.

Stayin Dizzy
05-02-2006, 02:29 AM
I have a private game store in my town. The guy in there buys ps2s with the same problems for like 25 bucks and sells them as new. He showed me how theres 2 lasers that read in the ps2s. Sometimes they get dirty and won't play certain games or DVD's (AKA blue disk disease). Most people with this problem either couldn't play blue disks or would only play blue disks (varied). If you got 3 bucks and 20 minutes take your ps2 apart and buy some whip-its (same stuff to clean out computers) and clean out your ps2. 50% of the time this works.

The Last Ancient
05-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Well mine is the old kind.
Console: SCPH-30001
Browser: 1.20
Playstation Driver: 1.10

Is that what you mean? I just find it weird that god of war is the only game that doesn't work, its not a blue disc. This is my second ps2 btw, the first one I can't get /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif to work on, I figured I'd open that one up. So you just open it up and clean the laser with this whip-it's (what are they exactly)?? When I have to, the newest version of ps2, I guess it's the slim one, has that one been working better, less problems? Seriously man sony better do better with ps3, why does sony have to have by far the best games with by far the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.giftiest system.

~SapphireStar~
05-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Mines over 4 years old and still going. It does take longer to load games and DVDs, but its my baby and Im not replacing it anytime soon!

Reine
05-02-2006, 02:14 PM
My silver one only has a bit of trouble reading blue discs, but with persistence, I can get them to work (And its only the unoficial ones like cheat discs, Unreal Tournament an Quake 3 Revolution work fine)

Dreddz
05-02-2006, 05:37 PM
If its the ol DRE's, dont worry, Help is at hand. (http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/45797/PlayStation_2_Disc_Read_Error_Fix.html)

This is what happened to me, it would play old games, but not new, this is when I had DRE's with the games. Use the guide above, it helps. My PS2 is better than ever.

DeathKnight
05-02-2006, 05:49 PM
All I can tell you is, that if you have the habit of leaving your PlayStation2 on STANDBY then THAT'S the problem. Now, if you always turn it off from the back(completely off) then it must be the system itself(maybe too old):tonberry:

LunarWeaver
05-02-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm on my third Ps2 as well *sigh*... You may have to resign yourself to buying a new one. I opened up my last one and molested its gears in everyway possible but nothing happened -_-. At least they're down to 130 now... Can't wait for the Ps3 to cost three times as much as this one and break three times as fast. And yet I'll buy it anyway because I'm a sucker like that.

Dreddz
05-02-2006, 06:22 PM
The old systems are usually the ones which break. Sony are jackasses at this stuff, they will replace the machine for £60. Why should we pay for them making dodgy machines. They will also replace the machine with another old system. Them knowing that the system will break again and we will have to pay another £60.
Fortunately, after a court case against them, they have to replace the consoles for free if you are getting DRE's. But they will have to check the system to see if it is DRE's, if its not the case. They will charge you.

SeeDRankLou
05-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm on my second PS2. The first one went wacky in about six months, luckily it was still under warranty. I've had my currently one for at least two years, and it works just fine.

Meat Puppet
05-02-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm on my second PS2. I just couldn't resist the silver.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-02-2006, 09:37 PM
I haven't had any problems in the past five months with my PS2 as of yet.

Slothy
05-02-2006, 09:47 PM
I've got a launch PS2 and it has never acted up once. This just continues my long streak of never having to replace a system ever. Even my SNES still works fine (wish I could say the same about those damn carts though).

Try cleaning the laser, and if that doesn't work, then you're kind of screwed and should get a new one. But look on the bright side; at least PS2 defects/problems don't involve risk of death (not to my knowledge anyway).

Levian
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
You sure it's not just having problems with PS2 discs in general and working fine PS1 discs? That's the case with my PS2. It plays PS1 discs perfectly, but I have to put the PS2 in weird positions for it to play PS2 discs. I'm not buying a new one till PS3 gets released though.

I Took the Red Pill
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
I've got a launch PS2 and it has never acted up once.

starseeker
05-03-2006, 08:03 PM

Old Manus
05-03-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm on my fourth.

With this (slimline) one the disk tray is stuck open so I have to stick a couple of game boxes on top of it to keep it closed :chef:

Maxico
05-03-2006, 09:16 PM

Original quoted to prevent QUOTE PYRAMIDz!!1.

Hell, it got dropped once, the dust cover for the CD tray came off and the CD drive has been exposed for a good 4 years now (which is saying alot in my exeptionally dusty room) and I've yet to run into any serious problems.

Spammerman
05-03-2006, 10:10 PM
My ps2 wrks fine and ive had it for a while. Try tapping your ps2 while the game is loading

Yew-Yevon
05-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Im still on my first PS2 (first modle, 5yrs old and counting) and it plays all my PS2 games DVDs and PS1 games perfectly. I don't see how PS2 is a bad system. All the new games i get for it play like a charm.