PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of joining.

idol-of-ohio
05-02-2006, 03:38 AM
Hey guys, I'm very interested in possibly picking up FFXI and checking it out. I'm looking for a game that will be able to hold my attention and be able to keep me occupied for a good while. I'm a huge fan of most of Square Enix's project including but not limited to the FF series, and have much experience in many other MMORPG's and enjoy their style of gameplay, and like the social aspect to it. I was just wondering if it would be a wise descision to pick up the game and start a new character although the game has been out for a while., and how well it is able to hold the interest of a slightly above average gamer. Thanks ahead for any imput, look forward to hearing from you.

valentine
05-02-2006, 03:47 AM
Honestly? If you're looking for a game that can hold your interest than this is definitely for you. Be careful what you wish for though, because this really is a very time consuming game. Be prepared to spend at the very least 2 hours each session. It's certainly not for people who only want to play for 30 minutes each day or so, but if you're truly looking for a consuming game, then you've found it.

idol-of-ohio
05-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, I look furthar into getting it, it seem to be a very interesting game that qill be able to keep me interested for a long time to come.

theundeadhero
05-02-2006, 04:09 AM
It's a very fun and time consuming game. Plenty of quest to do with item rewards to keep you busy. The linkshell feature makes it great because you always have someone to talk to. I wouldn't worry about it being out for a while. There's always low level players to party with and rise through the game.

Shaun_lawless
05-02-2006, 04:12 AM
but it cost alot to play so you better ask how much the regestration fee is?

valentine
05-02-2006, 04:24 AM
It's a very fun and time consuming game. Plenty of quest to do with item rewards to keep you busy. The linkshell feature makes it great because you always have someone to talk to. I wouldn't worry about it being out for a while. There's always low level players to party with and rise through the game.

Oh yeah, not only that but the new expansion and xbox 360 version JUST came out so, there's even more new players than usual.

theundeadhero
05-02-2006, 04:29 AM
Right, and it only costs about $12 a month unless you have more than one character. It does take a major credit card to play so make sure you have one, or a debit card that accessess a checking account.

Markus. D
05-02-2006, 04:37 AM
I find myself player longer and longer to the point of where its part of your daily routine.

Miriel
05-03-2006, 10:08 AM
idol-of-ohio, FFXI is a great game and with the new expansion as well as the XBox release, "breath of life" doesn't begin to cover how revitalized this game has become in the last few weeks. If you were ever planning on getting this game, now is the time.

Lakenbelle
05-03-2006, 03:38 PM
Hate to break the mold, but I was bored to tears by this game. It's one of the most annoying and just unfun level grinding MMOs that I've tried. WoW is infinitely better but after a while even that couldn't keep me hooked after three months playing World of Warcraft.

Yeargdribble
05-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Hate to break the mold, but I was bored to tears by this game. It's one of the most annoying and just unfun level grinding MMOs that I've tried. WoW is infinitely better but after a while even that couldn't keep me hooked after three months playing World of Warcraft.

As much as it might be a level grinder, especially early on, I think that perhaps is what sets it apart. The stories I keep hearing from many that play WoW, especially those that played FFXI or another MMORPG first, is that after a short time in the span of a few months you've done it all and there's not much more to do but start another character.

It may take you a while to get to the top level in FFXI and once you are there you've barely begun to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer. There is more than enough content to last for many many years. WoW is extremely popular now but I think ultimately it will suffer longevity problems because you just run out of content. Sure there's a crapton of quests but most are "go kill 10 of this... go slay 5 of that"

Another thing that most hate about FFXI is that it requires grouping. There's honestly not much you can do solo, especially early in the game. While some hate this let me remind you of what you are attempting to play... it is a massively MULTIPLAYER online role-playing game. I suppose it's fun to play AROUND people instead of WITH them which is what you get from a game you can solo to endgame on. If you want to play solo go play an offline game.

I will grant you that grouping with morons sucks but at least there is a definite sense of community in FFXI. Also in the end you'll end up playing with far more mature players because they less mature are very limited by their own reputations.

Most know my view on people's opinions about the game. I honestly don't think you can judge FFXI if you've not gotten past a certain point though many do. If you haven't played a character into the 50s then I don't think you have the right to give an opinion on this game. I hate hearing people who barely get to level 10 and complain that they can't solo and there's no story line. This is much the same as saying.

"FFVII sucks... you just run around killing stuff in some reactor. There's no Magicite and the story is horrible."

"FFVI sucks because you just ride around on some machines in a cave fighting stuff that's too easy to kill with some girl that doesn't even have a name... and there's no Materia."

"FFX sucks because I just run around on a bridge figthing endless waves of spiny things with some old crippled guy"

I could go on and on but I think you get the point. You can't judge the content, gameplay, or storyline of a game that you've barely played. For an offline game it might take you 30 or more hours... for FFXI it might take you 30 or more weeks to truly grasp it.

idol-of-ohio
05-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the great feedback from everyone. Just ordered the game for PC yesterday, so it should be arriving withing the next few days. Seems like a game that will be able to fit my playstyle and be able to hold my attention. Hope to see some of you in-game.

Roogle
05-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Since you have decided to purchase the game, you may want to consider what platform you want to play on. You can play it on the Playstation 2, the XBox 360, or the PC.

You may want to consider which server you'd like to play on, too.

Miriel
05-04-2006, 08:23 AM
idol, a bunch of EoFFers play on the Pandemonium server and I can hook you up with a worldpass + linkshell if you'd like. Otherwise, most of the servers are pretty much the same. Some are a bit more renowned for in-game drama than others.

-N-
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Joke's on you - we're all guerrilla marketers for Square-Enix!

Rostum
05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Some are a bit more renowned for in-game drama than others.

Midgardsormr FTW!

Markus. D
05-04-2006, 10:29 AM

you need to give it more then a chance ;)

and trust me, its not a grinder.... have you seen the motivation video?

it gives some glimpses into the storyline...

http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=83765

Rostum
05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
It's a grinder, and it has a story that you have to grind through. =)

Markus. D
05-04-2006, 02:00 PM
grinders are without story.

this is more of a story orientated game with a giant need to strive for perfection.

Grinding is plotless killings of everything, like... Maple Story.

Khaotic
05-04-2006, 07:30 PM
??? Level grinder ?? FFXI?? How long did you play? How long did you level? I think its you that made it a level grinder, not the game itself. From level 1 theres plenty of quests you can do, first by starting off with handing your coupon thing in and gettin some gold, then you can start mission 1, you can kill some things to finish that mission while leveling, then go back to town to finish it. There is ALOT you can do, even at low levels. Its not FFXI's fault if you load the game up and go straight to leveling because you want to be the "best" character out there in a short amount of time, the game has way too many quests to be called a "level grinder".

Nimbus
05-05-2006, 11:25 PM
I recommend walking away when you have a chance. This game has comsummed my life for the past 2 and half years, and i can't seem to quit it.

If your only looking for a game to play for a short time, this MMO is not it. Since it is nearly impossible to solo past lvl 10, and make the amount of gil so your not gimped for gear. Since Gill selling has boosted the AH Prices to near impossible for new players to do anything.

Overall this game is great, but it steals your life. Seriously once your hooked there's no turning back.

P.S Choku (Seraph)

Miriel
05-05-2006, 11:30 PM
If your only looking for a game to play for a short time, this MMO is not it. Since it is nearly impossible to solo past lvl 10, and make the amount of gil so your not gimped for gear. Since Gill selling has boosted the AH Prices to near impossible for new players to do anything.

Overall this game is great, but it steals your life. Seriously once your hooked there's no turning back.

P.S Choku (Seraph)
Not true at all. BSTs can solo as long as they want. And SMNs can get pretty far soloing too.

Then there's the new NPC buddy system that allows you to solo some easy/decent stuff on your own.

Also, my life has been in tact since the day I started playing this game. I play a few hours a day, a little more on the weekends, but it hasn't consumed me at all. The player can decide how much time they want to invest in this game. Granted, it takes more time to get things done like missions and quests since you need to organize with other players and that can be tricky, but really, there's no need to let this game control your life even if it does take a significant amount of time in order to play it to it's fullest extent.

Rostum
05-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Why do people get so defensive when someone states negative opinions on a game?

I'd be willing to say that yes, you do have to grind through exp. in this game. I personaly think it's fun, but sometimes can get tedious. And yes, there are a lot of things to do at any level -- but at lower levels it starts to get very restrictive sooner or later.

I know a lot of people that quit the game at level 40, simple because they are so bored and unwilling to grind the next 10 levels or so. When it starts getting to 20,000exp TNL,then to 30,000exp TNL, then eventually to 43,000 TNL and still only getting the regular exp. amount (unless you get into mana-or-melee burn parties, which face it, not every job can), then it starts to get into a grind.

And no, I don't believe anyone that wants to be level 75 is just so they can be the best. There are a lot of level 75's, so that's just pointless. It's a sense of achievement for a lot of people, including myself.

Also, I'd like to see anyone actually doing something rather than leech, if they're going to get into the later nation missions at low level (i.e. Before level 60-65). Same with Zilart missions.

Anyways, what I was saying is that not everyone levels to 75 or any other higher number, just to be the best. And foreshame on those who do, because it's a lame train of thought.

Saying all that; I love leveling, exploring and story driven quests and missions. But I never really got into them (well, save leveling, of course) until I was above level 50. *shrug* But I've had fun every step of the way.

Miriel
05-06-2006, 02:16 AM
People always claim that MMORPG will like, steal your life or something and that's never been true for me. They act like you have no control over how much time you have to invest in the game and it just irks me. >_>

Rostum
05-06-2006, 04:44 AM
I agree Miriel. I still have pleanty of time for other things. You know, more important things like my girlfriend, family, friends, university and other commitments.

People get hooked on MMO's because they let themselves be hooked. I could easily walk away from any MMO at any time if I wanted to. As I have done for the last week or so, and I've been fine.

I must say though, sometimes time just flies by when you're playing. ^^

Lionx
05-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Well i heard in the new ToA expansions that you can easily chain/move about. Enemy AI is more smart as in if you are casting something long, they Stun you, and they move in erratic ways. They also have less HP than their mainland cousins every monster in general when in a PT, so with a COR or BRD you can especially rack in Exp in a way WoW can moving about. Or thats what i heard...i am not sure. since this is all from other sources.

Early on though i dont see what the problem is, around lvl 50+ is when the normal way of exping starts to suck and becomes a REAL grind(because before then, you can live with 5K tnl or 7K, its no biggie for the most part, nothing complainable). And i heard that Assault is when you can do at lvl 50 so you can try that instead of just grinding now. End-game merit is better off too in ToA i heard like i said above.

COR can really bump up the exp per kill btw, this person said he got up to 300-400 exp a kill with one and they pull like a BRD pulls on merits(yet in exp). With Emp Band this will help alot o_o. Or you can get a standard BRD pt if there is more VTs about and you can still do the olfashioned TP burn pts for merits.

Nimbus
05-06-2006, 06:41 PM
MMO's do steal your life in my opinion, but in the sense that you wont play any other games anymore.

You can play another game but only for an hour or 2 before you have the urge to play.