PDA

View Full Version : Finding A Job... Easy/Hard

Cid Vicious
05-02-2006, 09:39 AM
I've got a job interview today. Last-night i was woried sh*t-less about it, but this morning i'm really up for it. I need this job bad, FFIII and XII will be out soon, and i'm broke. :mad:

I don't have any qualification's, i left school when i was 13, so i didn't do any GCSE's or any of the other stuff. But i'm doing a Computer course which if i pass, should help in the future if i don't get this job.

Anyway, i just wanted to know, how hard/easy for you was it finding a job.

EDIT:
I didn't get it.
He'd already given it to someone else.

Samuraid
05-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Finding a good job is a very wise decision, even if its a "transition" job that will eventually lead to a higher-paying job. Every bit of income helps.

I've held a number of smaller, short-term and low pay jobs. While many didn't provide a lot of technical experience, they helped me refine my interests and get an idea what a steady job entails.

My currently job (summer, re-ocurring) requires a much higher level of specialized experience, much of which I gained through university work and other hobbies.

Ultimately though, its hard for anyone to jump straight into a high-level fulltime job. It's very benificial to find something a bit smaller, so that you can gain some extra money and get used to the work experience.

Gh["]sT
05-02-2006, 11:44 AM
getting a job from where im from is soild it is like nearly impossible and i have plenty of qualifcations i was thinking of getting a job at a sandwhich making place but it was to far away :( :cry: no far i would have been able to have as many free BLT sandwhichs as i like for free for FREE i say tut no far lol:D

Mo-Nercy
05-02-2006, 12:04 PM
I work at McDonalds. :choc2:

Gh["]sT
05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
so does my friend lol i laugh at him all the time lol :D :eep:

Craig
05-02-2006, 12:08 PM
When I left school I applied for a job at ASDA, and got it quite easily. Eventually left, now I'm waiting until I finish College in 6 weeks to get another.

~SapphireStar~
05-02-2006, 12:40 PM
I packed my job in at CEX 2 months ago. They wanted more hours from me, but Im a full time student, plus it took a long time to get there and back, so working nights wasnt plesant.

Ive handed out loads of CVs in my area, but no one is currently employing and I leave Uni in a year, so I want to get a job now, so when I do leave they will take me on full time till I figure out what to do with myself.

-N-
05-02-2006, 12:48 PM
I never had trouble finding a job unless I did it last minute. Like now.

crazybayman
05-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't have any qualification's, i left school when i was 13, so i didn't do any GCSE's or any of the other stuff.
If you mean you didn't graduate highschool, then I suggest you go back and do that.

xX.Silver.Wings.Xx
05-02-2006, 02:25 PM
I flatly refuse to work in McDonalds. I'm in college anyway so I like to keep the free time I have, although I've started a voluntary job in a hospice so I can get a real job in a few months. I've applied to nearly every shop in my town and I've not heard anything from them. Getting a job has proven impossible for me.

I think you get more respect if you're employed and you learn new skills with almost any job. And a full employment history is very handy if you want to apply to that "dream job"

Itsunari 2000
05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]

I think you get more respect if you're employed COLOR]

LIES. They see you what for what you are, still a lost child in the hell of alcohol and sex. Oh ,woe the children..:cry:

Larahl
05-02-2006, 03:26 PM
I had a very hard time finding a job,
due to the law we have in my country that we must at the age of 18 join the army.
So no one wanted to accept me for job because I haven't finished the army yet.
In the end I found a job as a local magazine delivery person.

MadHero
05-02-2006, 03:44 PM
I read the title and thought it would be about prostitution :(

bipper
05-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I think it is sad when people say such things as 'I would never work at _______!!!11' I mean, It really deploys an unhumiliated image and in my mind paying your bills and showing fiscal responsability would be the most important priorety in one's life. Any job is better than no job ;)

I had to work overnight recieving at Wal*Mart to make ends meet, and this is with a 2 year A.S. in Software Engineering. I had a consulting programming job on the side, but the work was never guarenteed, and the pay was not steady enough to reliably make ends meet. That's my sob story :cry:

Bipper

~SapphireStar~
05-02-2006, 04:15 PM
think it is sad when people say such things as 'I would never work at _______!!!11' I mean, It really deploys an unhumiliated image and in my mind paying your bills and showing fiscal responsability would be the most important priorety in one's life. Any job is better than no job
I will never work at a fast food resturant because my current boyfriend and ex use to work at Subway and Burger King and they both got so much verbal abuse from customers it was ridiculous! I couldnt step in to say something because they didnt want me to get involved. Yes a job is a job, but after witnessing fights and rows in fast food resturants, it has put me off alot.

One tiny thing like wanting extra bacon on your sandwich is enough to kick off! "No extra bacon?! How dare you?! Get your manager you fat git!" Yes thats what happened, over extra bacon. Its not like the guy was charged for the bacon, yet he wanted to kick up a fuss and insult my boyfriend.

Angel Heart
05-02-2006, 04:23 PM
I don't have any qualification's, i left school when i was 13,You left school when you were 13 :eek:
I think it's good that your looking for a job, most 17 year old in manchester just roam the streets all day drinking beer and causing troble. Tell us how you got on. :)

~SapphireStar~
05-02-2006, 04:26 PM
I think it's good that your looking for a job, most 17 year old in manchester just roam the streets all day drinking beer and causing troble. Tell us how you got on.
WTF!? No we dont! The chav population of Manchester do, not the decent hard workers! How dare you, that is disgusting. Shame on you.

You left school when you were 13
And my dad left when he was 15 ... Now hes a wielder in Perth. He did brilliant for himself.

Angel Heart
05-02-2006, 04:44 PM
I think it's good that your looking for a job, most 17 year old in manchester just roam the streets all day drinking beer and causing troble. Tell us how you got on.
WTF!? No we dont! The chav population of Manchester do, not the decent hard workers! How dare you, that is disgusting. Shame on you.

You left school when you were 13
And my dad left when he was 15 ... Now hes a wielder in Perth. He did brilliant for himself.Ok i should have said SOME 17 year olds do. One of my brother's is 17 and he has a good job. And i would never slag of Mancs, my parents are from manchester.

~SapphireStar~
05-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Then dont say such horrid things, not all 17 year olds from Manchester are like that. At 17 I was in my first year of college and shortly after that I started working at Matalan (I know, shoot me) at the same time of my studies and I never touched a drop of alchol.

Anyway I hope you do get employed mate. In Manchester it can be difficult, you would think because its such a huge city there are tons of employers, but not really. However, seeing as though your not in education they may take you on as you have nothing else holding back your hours. However I think college would be a great idea. If you get a EMA you get up to £60 a week attending lessons, plus if you cant afford travel fees, your college will help you pay. At least thats what they do at Bury, they are a great college. But I think you may need to get your high school involved in that area. Plus it looks great on your CV whislt looking for a part time job.

DeathKnight
05-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Getting a job in New York City is like attempting to reach the moon. It's DAMN hard, specially when you got racist rich bastards who are bias as hell.

bipper
05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I will never work at a fast food resturant because my current boyfriend and ex use to work at Subway and Burger King and they both got so much verbal abuse from customers it was ridiculous!

Hardly an excuse unless you are free of fiscal liabilities and have no need to work. Then it is just *peachy*.

Getting a job in New York City is like attempting to reach the moon. It's DAMN hard, specially when you got racist rich bastards who are bias as hell.

If you are not white, apply at any given corparation for an office job. They have quotas to fill. Sounds mean, but it's quite true ;) G'luck!
Bipper

pyro psychosis
05-02-2006, 05:16 PM
i had hell trying to find a job for years. my first advice would be to say you HAVE graduated and it was in some far off state. try applying where u know someone who can give a good word on you. it also helps to have lots of job experience. just put down a bunch of bs. they never check up on that anyway. ;)

~SapphireStar~
05-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Hardly an excuse unless you are free of fiscal liabilities and have no need to work. Then it is just *peachy*.
Oh well excuse me dad ... I wouldnt work at a fast food resturant full stop. Mainly because of the abuse Ive witnessed and also because Im not the slimest person in the world, so I would end up spending my break having a snack there.

Leeza
05-02-2006, 05:55 PM
And my dad left when he was 15 ... Now hes a wielder in Perth. He did brilliant for himself.
Not sure how long ago that was, but that might have been possible 20 years ago, but not anymore. Before, a lot of places would let you train on the job and most other places would only require a high school graduation. That is just not the case anymore. With so many people in the job market, they have raised the stakes quite a bit and now you need some sort of college/university certification/degree for most positions. Employers can pick and choose from the best.

Burtsplurt
05-02-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't know your personal circumstances, but if you're in a position to go to college and get some GCSEs then I'd do that. Maybe have a part-time job as well - most people do at college. Qualifications are so important now.

But if this isn't the route you're going for, then good luck with the job. Once you're on the ladder and you have good references etc., it's easier to get jobs in the future.

Alive-Cat
05-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Well, I don't have a job at the moment, but I have a perfect scheme for when I do.
You see, if I get up at 7 in the morning, walk a dog for somebody for £5 for 30 minutes, then move to the next house, then do the same, and finish at £9, then by the end of the day I will have a decent amount of money by the end of the day, if I do that 5 days, and not on weekends, then that will be practically normal wages.

Rye
05-02-2006, 08:14 PM
I am 15 and I cannot find a job, though my 14 year old friends have them. This bugs me, but I'll wait a month until I'm 16 to look some more, because a lot of people hire 16 year olds. I want to work in a book store. xD

Wuggly Blight
05-02-2006, 09:41 PM
hard. very very hard. Depends where you live. Rural norfolks a crippler.

Zeldy
05-02-2006, 09:52 PM
I wanted to deliver the paper's. I know its a nothing job, but atleast I'd have more money in my pocket but No. Parent's won't allow it. So I have to wait till Im 16. "Its too dangerous"

Shoeberto
05-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I think it is sad when people say such things as 'I would never work at _______!!!11' I mean, It really deploys an unhumiliated image and in my mind paying your bills and showing fiscal responsability would be the most important priorety in one's life. Any job is better than no job ;)

I had to work overnight recieving at Wal*Mart to make ends meet, and this is with a 2 year A.S. in Software Engineering. I had a consulting programming job on the side, but the work was never guarenteed, and the pay was not steady enough to reliably make ends meet. That's my sob story :cry:

Bipper
That's something I've heard before to guilt kids into taking advantage of employment opportunities, but the fact is that fast food restraunts really do screw you over - at least, I know McDonald's does. They bring you on at decent pay, then around the time they say they're giving you a raise, they slash your hours to the point where you barely work ever, until they either you quit or they fire you in order to bring in new employees. Then they trick more kids into coming in with lots of hours and beginner's wages and continue the cycle of cheap employment.

So I would refuse to work at McDonald's. As far as I know, other fast food restaraunts tend to be a little more ethical about employment, so I'd consider them if I needed a job.

Khaotic
05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
School is pointless in my opinion, all you need to do is make a name for yourself(atleast, in web design that is) and you can get hired easily simply by showing how good you are, and then eventually get big jobs.

As for finding a job, being hard or easy, it depends what you're looking for, going to mcdonalds is easy, but of course there is harder jobs to get. I find it quite easy to get online jobs with web design, though, and the pay isn't bad at all.

Levian
05-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Getting just any job is easy. There's always openings in newspaper delievery, and then there's the substitute firms where you can sign up and they'll just call you when there's something available. It's spring time, so maybe you can mow some lawns or help out some old people. Make an add in the local newspaper.

bipper
05-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey, Wal-mart was not exactly ethical when I worked there. When you need the bucks, you need the bucks :) To me, anything is better than being stuck on welfare though. Not that I am too proud to use it, but I would rather not abuse it when there are [even crappy] jobs out there.

Then you factor in imagration takeing these jobs anyway... ;) There is a point when people just have to 'buck up' and take the jobs they can. I prolly would not be where I am now (a very nice job) if it was not for the fact that I can stress the responsabilities I have had since my 15th birthday. I have been a working man since, and that was even brought up at several of my interviews. Employers seem to like the fact that you are willing to do what needs to get done. Its even been my experience that its not even 80% skills that get you a job. It is very much proving your copitence, and not comming across as some 'ewe ewe Diva' :D

bipper

Perducci
05-03-2006, 01:11 AM
I can't find a job so I just stay home and play videogames.

I probably won't be able to find a job until summer, but I only need something till September, then i'm going to college, which I will get money for. :D

dirkdirden
05-03-2006, 04:49 AM
Droping out of school at 13 limits your options for a good job. But crappy jobs are always hire becuase people are always quiting.

This is advice from me take it or leave it. Gain education or skills without them you will never become anything that will make you money.

After I graduated college I had no skills at all I sucked at programming, and SQL could barely even read it. But the fact that I had a 4 year degree gave me so many job options they were knocking my door down.

My brother is a professinal Hunter with no schooling at all. He made 230,000 last year becuase he is good at what he does. Gain a skill or education.

Monster.com and carrerbuilder can help, I got a job at Intel from carrerbuilder.

bipper
05-03-2006, 05:24 AM
Dice.com is prolly my favorite for the IT field.

Shlup
05-03-2006, 05:31 AM
I've always found it rather easy to get a job. I know what I want, and I get it. And it doesn't hurt that I'm cute.

dirkdirden
05-03-2006, 06:00 AM
yeah beeing a cute girl, and wereing something sexy, but not sluty will almost always get you a good job. Two VERY HOT girls work with me at Intel, They are smart too, but VERY HOT sticks out more than smart.

fire_of_avalon
05-03-2006, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I know wearing my thigh high boots and halter top worked for me when I went for my library job. Oh wait, I was hired by a woman and I was wearing jeans. And I got the job over three other people!

If you're being hired based on hotness, you could make a lot more money filing suit against your company for sexual harassment. :D

dirkdirden
05-03-2006, 06:39 AM
yeah but proveing you got hired for beeing hot is almost impossable. Unless they acctually say WOW you are hot congradulations you got the job.

I would Hire hot girls at my work. Keeps the Moral up.

escobert
05-03-2006, 06:42 AM
I work at McDonalds. :choc2:

Shaun
05-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Finding a job near here is near to impossible. In England, at a young age, it's becoming increasingly hard as more immigrants come into the country. I've been trying for a year, and I finally got one. It was such a relief.

However... It's not just 'hard' for anyone. Over here, they prejudge people like there's no tomorrow. I've seen many pretty boys who have gotten jobs in the first few days of trying, as opposed to me... one year. There really is no justice in this world...

dirkdirden
05-04-2006, 05:17 AM
yeah like I said beeing attractive will always help you get a better job. Its proven that the more attractive people make more money than ugly people. The only way ugly people make money is if they are so smart or so good at what they do that you can't not hire them.

DeathKnight
05-04-2006, 05:23 AM
Finding a job near here is near to impossible. In England, at a young age, it's becoming increasingly hard as more immigrants come into the country. I've been trying for a year, and I finally got one. It was such a relief.

However... It's not just 'hard' for anyone. Over here, they prejudge people like there's no tomorrow. I've seen many pretty boys who have gotten jobs in the first few days of trying, as opposed to me... one year. There really is no justice in this world...

THAT'S one of the reasons I wanna move to Japan, they don't care 'bout that kind of crap. Asian people are the kind of people who MOSTLY respect everyone individually and who don't really care 'bout looks (black, white, tall, short).:tonberry:

-N-
05-04-2006, 06:51 AM
I never had trouble finding a job unless I did it last minute. Like now.I'd like to take this statement back now.

I never had trouble finding a job.

bipper
05-04-2006, 06:54 AM
I never had trouble finding a job unless I did it last minute. Like now.I'd like to take this statement back now.

I never had trouble finding a job.

lawl; congrats:tonberry:

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 12:41 PM
yeah like I said beeing attractive will always help you get a better job. Its proven that the more attractive people make more money than ugly people. The only way ugly people make money is if they are so smart or so good at what they do that you can't not hire them.
Im sorry, but how old are you? Cause your coming up with crap that my 14 year old brother would say. Yeah pretty boys get jobs, but employing someone over how attractive they are is ridic! If someone hired me because I went in with a low cut top and skirt, I would be pissed!

Someone may be drop dead gorgeous at the end of the day and yet I tend to find people who believe that are up their own arse and have no personality! So why employ someone who is going to believe they are better then your customers? At the end of the day, who cares what you look like. If you have decent qualifications and CV, who cares? Ive never worn a suit to an interview, always a top and jeans and I got employed.

Shaun
05-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Im sorry, but how old are you? Cause your coming up with crap that my 14 year old brother would say. Yeah pretty boys get jobs, but employing someone over how attractive they are is ridic! If someone hired me because I went in with a low cut top and skirt, I would be pissed!

Someone may be drop dead gorgeous at the end of the day and yet I tend to find people who believe that are up their own arse and have no personality! So why employ someone who is going to believe they are better then your customers? At the end of the day, who cares what you look like. If you have decent qualifications and CV, who cares? Ive never worn a suit to an interview, always a top and jeans and I got employed.

It's ridiculous, but true. That's how sick the world is, unfortunately. Just because you may not have experienced that side doesn't mean others haven't. That's the way it is in many Western areas (but particularly England).

Loony BoB
05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
I'm not "typically attractive" and I'm not that bad looking either, I'm somewhere in between. I've never struggled when looking for a job, and I got all four jobs I went to an interview for. You just have to make yourself look good - and that is so, so much more than just physical appearance. If you apply with a nice, simple-but-well-filled-out CV (or resumé as you guys might call it), wear sensible clothing (a suit if you're going to a place that you'll wear a suit at) and be able to convince them that you are more than simply competent. Oh, and be well spoken, too.

That might sound like hard work, but it isn't.

Shaun
05-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Um, I did all that. Maybe it's not hard work for you. :p

dirkdirden
05-04-2006, 05:27 PM
SapphireStar I'm 22 and have seen people not get hired becuase they are UGLY. Its not the way it should be but it is the way it is. I work at Intel right now and part of the reason I got my job is becuase I am on damn handsome man, its not the only reason but it is part of the reason.

bipper
05-04-2006, 05:29 PM
I agree. Looks are not soley what a position is filled on, but it does matter. A company can not hire someone who looks like an underpaid hooker from the slums; they have an integrity to keep. The better you look - the better you look. Know what I mean :joey:

Bipper

Chris
05-04-2006, 05:31 PM
I've had quite a hard time finding myself a job. My mom refuses to give me money, so I had to find a job. At the moment I have some things goin' on, and hopefully I'll have a job by the middle of this month. I really need a job.

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 06:45 PM
I personally think its ridiculous to employ someone over how they look. Looks over personality and experince ... what a pathetic perverted society this is. What sort of example does that send out to young girls? Tart yourselves up, flirt with your interviewer and you have a better chance of getting employed then someone who has far more experince then you, but doesnt have the perfect body?

I had a chance to get an interview at TopShop, but because Im a mosher and suffer from excema I didnt bother cause I knew I would be turned down due to my skin condition.

I work at Intel right now and part of the reason I got my job is becuase I am on damn handsome man.
I just find that pathetic. Cant stand people who blow their own horns.

Project G
05-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Finding a job when you're young is extremely hard! I know because I've been looking for a job since before christmas! Thankfully I'm on Job seekers Allowance!

Dark Angel From Heaven
05-04-2006, 06:54 PM
well im 15 and i plane on geting a job when im 16, witch is soon. may 23. umm yeah...so im hopeing i get a job when im 16...i could use the money.

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I hope you do some decent spelling in your CV. I guess your dyslectic, hope thats how you spell it. Dont rely on spell check on a PC, get your mum or dad to help you.

dirkdirden
05-04-2006, 09:07 PM
I cant stand people who have no horns to blow.

and people who acctually care about how they spell something on an online forum

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 09:53 PM
I was giving the guy advice. How would it look to an employer if he misuses words like he just did. The guy would most probably laugh at him. Its called being helpful.