PDA

View Full Version : More mature me played it again

Kain424
05-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I just finished the game (FFVI) again. I haven't done that in maybe 5 or 6 years. I have to admit, I didn't care for it as much this time around.

I thought it was all a bit too "cartoony". I felt that Kefca's motivations were unclear, the dialogue was silly at best, because of these problems I had a hard time liking it as much as I did when I was younger. Have I grown too mature for the old Final Fantasies?

I remember talking with people about how this game should be "remade" with up-to-date graphics and all that crap. But now I find myself completely against such a thing. This game is far better in memory than in reality.

>:-)

Flying Mullet
05-02-2006, 12:44 PM
I still love it, but to each their own.

I always liked Kefka because he's just a maniac out for absolute power, anyway he can get it. It's a simple motivation that works well and it is taken to the extreme.

Crossblades
05-02-2006, 03:23 PM
It's an awesome FF

Kefka is clearly the best villian

KoShiatar
05-02-2006, 05:59 PM
I can guarantee you dialogues are not silly at all, if you take into account the limits of the medium through which they had to be displayed.

Roto13
05-03-2006, 03:10 AM
I still hope for a rewrite for the GBA version. It's the game's biggest weakness.

Acid Raine
05-06-2006, 04:38 AM
I still hope for a rewrite for the GBA version. It's the game's biggest weakness.
How? It has the smallest degree of Engrish than lots of the other FFs. Or do you mean the actual words themselves?

Sjorn
05-06-2006, 07:56 PM
How was the dialouge bad? :confused:

Acid Raine
05-06-2006, 08:17 PM
MAYBE they should redo the way you find out that Terra is the love child of Maduin and Madonna. Them floating around, crapping out twinkly lights, and then the twinkle lights come to gether to make a 10 pixel baby, doesnt work for me.

Kain424
05-07-2006, 12:21 PM
How was the dialouge bad? :confused:

For instance: "Destroy! Destroy! Destroy!"

Were you commanding a fleet of evil doomsweepers and issuing orders, this might (kinda) make sense. But explaining your workings and suddenly deciding to wax pseudo-philosophical to the group of people standing in deadly defiance to all your plans is simply silly.

I'm not weighing out the qualities (or lack of) Kefca's villainship. However, since we're on the subject now (yay!), I think that when it comes to his actions, Kefca makes a pretty decent bad guy. Poisoning the water supply of an entire kingdom and killing them off is quite the evil feat. Taking over an army and kingdom? Nicely done. The club favorite, Sephiroth, never accomplished so much. Too bad he looks like clown, laughs at all of his own joke and doings, and speaks silly.

But it's the actions that speak louder than words. So, all in all, he's not too terrible a bad guy (I mean that as a compliment to him).

Back to my original point, I felt that the game was too cartoony. Just not as mature as I am.

Acid Raine
05-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Well then. I see you are *far* too mature for us that like this cartoony game. Why dont you go play Front Mission or something, then?

Sjorn
05-07-2006, 06:13 PM
If you mean the look is too cartoony... then Final Fantasy V and IV look almost the same... :mad:

But if you're talking about the storyline... it isn't at all cartoony, I guess stuff like Ultros just made it seem like that... :mog:

Roto13
05-07-2006, 08:44 PM
There are way too many universal quotes. Everyone saying the same thing. That's not exactly good for showing the different character's individual personalities.

FF_Chick
05-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Play the japanese version to see better Dialogue. It is a bit cartoony, yes, but it was made on the super nintendo with light graphics. If there was a remake, I dout it would be the light. But I don't care if this game is cartoony, this game is my favorite of all times!