PDA

View Full Version : book review: Last book you read?

lady yunalesca
05-02-2006, 12:24 PM
as the title says..this is a book review. so what was the last book you read?? what was the general gist of it?? would you recommend it?? and marks out of 10!!!

Basically because i am afraid of trying new genres of books (i stick pretty much to Anne Rice) so i would appreciate some feedback that may get me to enjoy different genres!!! :)

~SapphireStar~
05-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Ive not fully finished it, but Im enjoying The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan. Its the first book in the Black Magician Trilogy. It is a great read and your imagination runs riot with it. She does now how to grib her readers and I love the maturity of it. I was expecting something like Harry Potter, but its far from.

It does take awhile for it to get going and I love the character Sonea, its nice to see a magical female lead role. Its full of magic and medievil politics, the poor and the wealthy, etc.

Polaris
05-02-2006, 01:53 PM
To school I've just finished reading 'Aparição'... it's terrible it's more filosophie than a novel so I don't recomend it to no one, only to people who loves philosophie. Then appart from it I've been reading 'A reliquia', it's amazing by Eça de Queiros... I've laughed a lot with it (i give 9 coz there was one part that he make a scene like when jesus died and I dind't like that much) and I've just started 'The Sintra stress crime' and I'm in page 20 and it's being also cool! For people to read from all the world, I serioulsy think they should read the greatest poetist: Florbela Espanca I don't know if can find something translated... if you don't, I'll translate it because it's worth!

Angel Heart
05-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I haven't read a book for ages. :( The last one i read was LOTR: The Return Of The King.

Lost Number
05-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Last I read was Trinity and Redemption by Leon Uris. They overlap, so they are one book to me. VERY long, but worth it. Some adult material, but nothing nasty. The plot is about the 'trinity' of Ireland. Catholics, Protestants and British. VERY good book. From the famine to Gallapolli and Easter REising, very historic.

dragoonknight_kain
05-02-2006, 05:31 PM
The last book I read was Deception Point by Dan Brown, (or whatever the book is called). Everyone knows, or at least heard about, this book, so I don't really need to say anything about it.:D

I've been trying to find something interesting to read, but I'm having some difficulty mainly because I don't want to risk and waste my money with a bad book.

lady yunalesca
05-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Ive not fully finished it, but Im enjoying The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan. Its the first book in the Black Magician Trilogy. It is a great read and your imagination runs riot with it. She does now how to grib her readers and I love the maturity of it. I was expecting something like Harry Potter, but its far from.

It does take awhile for it to get going and I love the character Sonea, its nice to see a magical female lead role. Its full of magic and medievil politics, the poor and the wealthy, etc.

i love the sound of that:) !! thats my problem though!! i am drawn toward the same sort of thing! always horror /fantasy type books!!

has anyone read the Da Vinci Code??? i havnt got on board that book yet!

Crushed Hope
05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm two thirds of the way through Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom and I am enjoying it very much. It is probably the best book I've read in a long while, and has pretty much got me hooked into medieval historical fiction, as I started reading a few others in the genre as well ... I've got like 2 books going aside from TLK. I am just amazed as the fact that Ragnar got killed off.

Slothy
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm not quite finished it yet, but I'm currently reading Dune by Frank Herbert. I imagine a plot synopsis would be easy enough to find on the internet so I won't bother saying what it's about because I know I won't do it justice. Basically think of it as science fictions LOTR. The book manages to create a very deep, well thought out world, without seeming overwhelming with it's history and culture which really made it easy for me to get into it and stay hooked. I also think that the pacing is just about perfect. It doesn't take long to get going, and never seems to drag on like some books can. It's always pushing the story forward which helps me stay interested.

In the event you've seen the movie before, I would recommend not basing any opinion of the book on that, because the movie didn't do it justice at all. There was a three part mini series a few years back though that was every bit as brilliant as the book if you ask me, so if you've seen it, it's a good indicator of whether or not you'll like the book. I should also point out that there are, I believe, 6 books in the series. I'm not even through the first yet and I've already bought the next two.

~SapphireStar~
05-02-2006, 10:36 PM
has anyone read the Da Vinci Code??? i havnt got on board that book yet!
The Da Vinci Code was excellent cause, for me, it was an easy reading style. I get bored with books with very small text and too much description. Puts me right off. I finished Da Vinci Code last year and Ive started on Angels & Demons now. Im not getting into it as much as I did with Da Vinci Code though.

I like Da Vinci Code because it looked at areas of Christanity that I wanted to ask questions bout. But because I came from a srtict Catholic school, I could never ask them. Looking foward to the film, but the book is always better!

Spiffing Cheese
05-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha yesterday. My review? Absolutely fantastic. Excellent storyline and brilliant writing. The writer had a way of sucking you into the story and making you really care about the characters - brilliant.

10/10.

I Took the Red Pill
05-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle. It's more or less about satirizing the end of the world due to the foolishness of human nature. The main character discovers the children of a famous scientist have in their possession Ice-Nine, a substance more deadly than the atomic bomb.

The chapters are really, really short, averaging about a page-and-a-half per chapter. I reccommend not only this, but Vonnegut's other books (i.e. Slaughterhouse Five, if you haven't read that)

8.5/10

Black Angel
05-03-2006, 01:24 AM
I've actually been reading an Anne Rice book; "Blackwood Farm". So far, I like it. i'm not sure, but have you read that one, lady yunalesca?

fantasyjunkie
05-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Da Vinci Code, Just finished it this morning. I liked it.

Shoden
05-03-2006, 09:35 PM
What's the time mr wolf? man that was a really hard book.

Really, The Call of Cthulhu by H.P Lovecraft.

Zeldy
05-03-2006, 09:40 PM
The last book I read was Memoirs Of A Geisha. And I agree with everything Spiffing Cheese said, The book is simply amazing. 10/10

lady yunalesca
05-09-2006, 09:53 PM
I've actually been reading an Anne Rice book; "Blackwood Farm". So far, I like it. i'm not sure, but have you read that one, lady yunalesca?

no not read that one yet!!! let me know how it pans out!!! ( i am not sure if that is one of the original vampire chronicals?? it doesnt sound like one) but all her work is good so i am sure it will be worth a read!!!

i have to give 10/10 to the guy that wrote the sales pitch for the haunted bear on e bay (see general thread)....that was genuis!! :)

Mythra
05-09-2006, 10:04 PM
The last book I read was Insomnia by Stephen King. Really great book, a little slow in the beginning imo, unlike the other ones I have read by him (Firestarter, The Stand, and Dreamcatcher). But when it picked up, it was one of the best books I've ever read. Everything from the little doctors (Clotho and Lachesis I think?) to the whole Dark Tower reference in the end of the story, was great. A give it a 9 out of 10.

Chris
05-09-2006, 10:09 PM
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. I finished the first book last Monday, and I started on the second one. I had never read the books until now, so I decided that now would be the time. I loved the movies, so I was curious to see how true Peter Jackson had been to the books. I love the Two Towers, and it's everything I imagined it would be! I actually think that second book proceeds the first one. I can't wait to read Return of the King, and when I'm done, I am planning to make a movie marathon of the three movies. Oh, that's like over ten hours of straight watching!

NeoCracker
05-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Last book I finished was the High Druid of Shannara: Tanequil. Just need to read Straken lord now.

Anyway I loved it. Any Shannara book I love, with the exception of Scions, Elf Queen and the First King. Aside from them the books are godly. Read them all.

Dragonfire
05-11-2006, 08:25 AM
I like Da Vinci Code because it looked at areas of Christanity that I wanted to ask questions bout. But because I came from a srtict Catholic school, I could never ask them. Looking foward to the film, but the book is always better!

The Da Vinci Code is the last book I read. I went to Catholic schools as well, and imho, they pushed me over the edge to stop believing. I used to question some of the same things and more that are in the book in religion classes. I was given many detentions and one suspension for disrupting class, for debating the stuff he was teaching about Jesus, or as they claimed, "Disruption of school activities, and refusal to participate in "approved" curiculum(SP?)."

farplaner
05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
I am currently re-reading the first book of the Dune series. (Enjoy Vivi22). Beware, though, that after Children of Dune Herbert takes the series in a pretty different direction. I think the whole series is genius, but just so you know. I agree with you Vivi, the sci-fi channel miniseries is pretty excellent- undoubtedly their best production.

Dune is sci/fi, but it's not typical. It explores so many issues: politics (the reader sees the world through the eyes of those in power- Dukes, emperors, etc.), religion, perception of time and the universe, war, destiny and free will, it's really endless.

One of my favorite things about the series is the idea of HUMAN POTENTIAL. Certain people in the story can compute data on the level with supercomputers, others have mastered the human body and physical properties of existence to an extent that they can control every bodily function and manipulate space/time. I can't really explain it as well as it should be, but I would definitely suggest trying it out, even if you're not really into sci-fi.

Slothy
05-11-2006, 10:36 PM
I am currently re-reading the first book of the Dune series. (Enjoy Vivi22). Beware, though, that after Children of Dune Herbert takes the series in a pretty different direction. I think the whole series is genius, but just so you know. I agree with you Vivi, the sci-fi channel miniseries is pretty excellent- undoubtedly their best production.

Dune is sci/fi, but it's not typical. It explores so many issues: politics (the reader sees the world through the eyes of those in power- Dukes, emperors, etc.), religion, perception of time and the universe, war, destiny and free will, it's really endless.

One of my favorite things about the series is the idea of HUMAN POTENTIAL. Certain people in the story can compute data on the level with supercomputers, others have mastered the human body and physical properties of existence to an extent that they can control every bodily function and manipulate space/time. I can't really explain it as well as it should be, but I would definitely suggest trying it out, even if you're not really into sci-fi.

Just finished the first on the weekend and I must say I agree with everything you said. Though it may be a science fiction novel, it's not about the science at all. I have to say that Paul is probably one of my favorite literary characters at the moment, simply because he's so unlike most characters. I found his own views on his power, and his place among the fremen very interesting.

I'm actually really looking forward to getting past Children of Dune, especially since you say he goes in a different direction. I've seen both of the mini series many times, so even though they're not exact translations, I have a good enough idea what's going on that I look forward to being able to read some of the books without knowing what will happen next.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-11-2006, 11:23 PM
High Rhulain
Brian Jacques

The story is very well done here, having connections to Salamandstron. Most of the characters are well fleshed out, with personalities that makes you care and feel for them. Everything is so vividly descriptive that most people could imagine the world through Jacques' words with little effort.

Score: 9.5/10

VorpalCyberWolf
05-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Ive read many book recently...

Running With Scissors is a Memoir by Augusten Burroughs depicting the most zany and crazy childhood that one could even think of. Witty and well written and definatly gets you thinking quite often. I reccommend this book to anyone, whether they perfer Ficion or Nonfiction regardless. But as fair warning, the book is very controversial and graphic at times.

Dry Is the Sequel Memoir to Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. This time he brings the reader to a later part in his life when he was an Alcoholic working in the Advertising industry. Also a very well developed story and funny read. Just as good if not better than the predecessor. There is also a Third Memoir by Burroughs that I have but have yet to read called Magical Thinking.

Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks is a classic Fantasy Novel written in the Tolkein Tradition. A wonderful story and probably my favorite book of all time. If you are into any kind of fantasy I reccomend this book and the rest of the series.

Elfstones of Shannara, Wishsong of Shannara, Scions of Shannara Look Above.

Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel is an angsty memoir about depression. It was a good read, but I only really reccomend it if you are fan of non-fiction.

Theres a couple more that Ill add later.

Jings
05-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Since you're an Anne Rice reader i thought id pop on and say i've just finished reading Interview with the Vampire, well it's been a few months now since i finished it.

I dunno, everyone seems to rave about about it but to be honest i found it to be a bit of a chore to finish. I really enjoyed New Orleans and Lestat was easily my favourite character so when Louis and Claudia 'kill' him and leave for Europe i really began to lose interest. The first half of the book is excellent but i really struggled with the second half.

Also just finished The Thing on the Doorstep and other weird stories by H.P. Lovecraft, most of the stories are pretty damn scary although there were a couple bores in there.

kikimm
05-13-2006, 01:12 AM
The Birth of Venus. I really enjoyed it, but for some reason, I wouldn't call it well-written, or even a great book. I'm not sure I even know why I liked it as much as I did. Probably the characters, though, cause that's always what I need to be interested in for me to keep reading. Also, reading about Italy in the 15th century was cool.

Reeno the Alchemist
05-13-2006, 04:29 PM
rurouni kenshin vol 16

lady yunalesca
05-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Since you're an Anne Rice reader i thought id pop on and say i've just finished reading Interview with the Vampire, well it's been a few months now since i finished it.

I dunno, everyone seems to rave about about it but to be honest i found it to be a bit of a chore to finish. I really enjoyed New Orleans and Lestat was easily my favourite character so when Louis and Claudia 'kill' him and leave for Europe i really began to lose interest. The first half of the book is excellent but i really struggled with the second half.

then you need to read the rest of the series!!! if you are a lestat fan (louis always had a little too much conscience for me too) you will love the books that follow as lestat takes central stage for a while!! you get to hear the tale from his point of view and learn much more about his background!!! Interview with The Vampire does get slightly bleeker as the book progresses but its written from louis' point of view, and he is a fairly melodramatic and sombre character!! give the others a chance and i am sure that you will appreciate it more!! :)

Jings
05-13-2006, 09:02 PM
hmmm okay ill give them a shot, i really did enjoy the first part of Interview with the Vampire and i'd like to read Lestat's view on things. Louie seemed to moan about his 'curse' a wee bit too much for my liking, hopefully Lestat will have a far better outlook on things. I think you're right though, Louie's conscience did get to me.

Chaos
05-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Dune was a brilliant book as was Memoirs of a Geisha.
I'm currently trying to find the rest of the Dune series....for those who dont like spending money on books, I suggest charity shops and second hand book shops. You can pick up some great bargins. I got my copy of Dune for £1.50 as opposed to £8.00.

Last book I've finished reading was 1984 by George Orwell, I would heartily recommend it if you have an interest (like I do) in totalitarian, opressive states...if not, its still a great moralistic tale.

That was a re-read though, I think i've read that three times now...so the last book I read that I've never read before would have to be Dante's Inferno.
That is a great piece of classic poetry, so vivid and inspirational. I advise everyone to check it out. I read the translated version by Tom Phillips...it wasn't as verbiose as i had been expecting. Great anyway...:) I give that 9 out of 10. I thouroughly enjoyed it.

escobert
05-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Last night I finished reading THe Chronicle of Narnia: The Magicians Nephew.
It was rfun to read (very quick) can't wait to start the next one.

~SapphireStar~
05-15-2006, 07:33 PM
My grandmother bought me a book from her local charity shop the other day. Its called Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Its the first in the Dresden series.

The Dresden Files are set in a "alternate" Chicago where magic is real, but only a few actually believe in it; it's a first-person tale told by an irascible wizard named Harry Dresden, who regularly gives the magical establishment indigestion — and the police, the same. Take Sam Spade, your Average Joe Underdog Action Star, and toss in some spellcraft, and you get Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Heck of a guy.

Its meant to be a teen/adult murder magic mystery novel and its an excellent read. Im currently up to chapter 3 but the chapters are quite long.

Jim Butcher (http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/)

edczxcvbnm
05-15-2006, 07:35 PM
10/10

Where's Waldo

This book keeps me entertained to this very day with all the side objects to find.

escobert
05-15-2006, 07:57 PM
I love the hollywood one.

lady yunalesca
05-15-2006, 08:15 PM
hmmm okay ill give them a shot, i really did enjoy the first part of Interview with the Vampire and i'd like to read Lestat's view on things. Louie seemed to moan about his 'curse' a wee bit too much for my liking, hopefully Lestat will have a far better outlook on things. I think you're right though, Louie's conscience did get to me.

yes it gets a bit annoying after a while... you cant help but think after 300 years...get on with it!!! :) its hard to fall in love with Lestat after reading what louis wrote of him, but the next few books really open up his character! he does have the unbearable ego that louis reported and he has to deal with the consequence of that!! there is also more about Aramand!!! i hope you like them!!! pm me if you get a chance to read one!!! (best to read in sequence as the books always refer to spoilers from previous books) :D

Imperfectionist
05-15-2006, 10:59 PM
I just finished reading Catcher in the Rye, brilliant book and a classic read, i'd recommend it to anyone.

Ifirit's Fury
05-18-2006, 01:56 PM
The last book I read was Brian Keene's City of the Dead. It's actaully the sequel to The Rising. Both are a new twist on the zombie genre.

These books are both being made into movies I believe so I wanted to read the books first as I'm sure the films will not do them justice. The writing style is quick and to the point, the events move at a steady pace making them hard to put down.

The plot is everything you'd expect from a zombie story....world is full of the undead, survivors trying to, well....survive. I don't want to ruin the story for anyone thinking of reading, but the ending of City of the Dead might not be what you'd expect.

Odaisé Gaelach
05-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Insomnia by Stephen King.

Fantastic read. The plot was a little confusing for the first chapter, but it doesn't take long to immerse you into it. The little bald doctors were a brilliant stroke too. A great read for around 3:20AM. :D

SHin_KOZuya191
05-20-2006, 12:01 AM
My latest read has to be the fifth book of stephen king's dark tower series, Wolves of the Calla. My fav character haben to bich eddie dean because he is a typical guy.