PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 6 --> Censorship? o-o

Kalinda
05-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Hey, Hey,

I have heard that it recieved a bit o' the ol' censorship of the time and that the PS version didn't fix any of this with regard to the script... though I'm sure it isn't as bad as FF4's censorship...

Come to it, the site I read it on seemed sort of purist. There's a fan translation floating around that directly translates all the Japanese stuff, including all the cursing and etc. Although I don't really consider this overly important to the gameplay...

Is FF6s censorship _really_ that bad, though? Like.. really? >><< I've started playing it again (it's stolen my soul!) and I did notice places that may have been changed.. but also places with obvious references to death. I know in the PS version they put back the proper summon grpahics and "cafe" sign is now "pub" even though when you enter it still says "cafe".

It's probly not that important anyway.. I've only recently started learning about NOAs evil censorship of the NES and SNES Eras.. some of the stuff seemed kinda silly. Of course, I hate censorship.. so that's just me.

Ya think they'll redo the reanslation for the Advance version? Not too terribly likely, I suppose... hehe.. :)

ljkkjlcm9
05-02-2006, 04:38 PM
yes they censored things like death.... and things like Siren in the american version, yes the Siren summon was "censored"

JAPAN
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/ljkkjlcm9/sirenjap.gif

AMERICA
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/ljkkjlcm9/sirenus.gif

THE JACKEL

Flying Mullet
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
The wikipedia has a little bit on what was censored as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_6

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-02-2006, 05:38 PM
Text pertaining to some of the grimmer story events was toned down for the kids, like Celes's attempted suicide. But, provided you have any amount of intuition, you should still be able to figure out what's going on.

A retranslation for the GBA version would be nice. Not that the censorship in the present translation is horribly bad, but it would go a long way towards freshening up a twelve-year-old script.

KoShiatar
05-02-2006, 05:50 PM
This document, made by Sky Render (the fantranslator you're probably talking about) contains a list of changes. I don't know if it is 100% complete or accurate (altough it claims it is) but it sure is very picky, and it will help you figure changes out.
It does not take into account script-related changes, but it'll make you see not only what has been censored (little things if compared to Final Fantasy IV), but also what has been changed without apparent reasons.

Roto13
05-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Some of those changes look suspiciously like alternate translations.

Tavrobel
05-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Hey, Hey,

I have heard that it recieved a bit o' the ol' censorship of the time and that the PS version didn't fix any of this with regard to the script... though I'm sure it isn't as bad as FF4's censorship...

Come to it, the site I read it on seemed sort of purist. There's a fan translation floating around that directly translates all the Japanese stuff, including all the cursing and etc. Although I don't really consider this overly important to the gameplay...

Is FF6s censorship _really_ that bad, though? Like.. really? >><< I've started playing it again (it's stolen my soul!) and I did notice places that may have been changed.. but also places with obvious references to death. I know in the PS version they put back the proper summon grpahics and "cafe" sign is now "pub" even though when you enter it still says "cafe".

It's probly not that important anyway.. I've only recently started learning about NOAs evil censorship of the NES and SNES Eras.. some of the stuff seemed kinda silly. Of course, I hate censorship.. so that's just me.

Ya think they'll redo the reanslation for the Advance version? Not too terribly likely, I suppose... hehe.. :)

The censorship isn't bad per se. However, many of the grimmer events were toned down, as Kawaii said. But one must consider the time era in which the script was written, which shouldn't hold a large bearing, but it does. Something that you would've stoned the makers for back then, is barely a phase for you now.

They did censor the Siren summon and the Goddess battle sprite. any other instances of nudity, were alikely snuffed out also, if they were as noticable as these.

American
http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/8230/goddess2wu.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Japanese
http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/1161/39goddessff64es.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Sorry I couldn't get sprites of the same size, but, meh. But as you can see, the skirt of the Goddess in the American version is MUCH longer. And the top covers up most of the breasts.

And the Sky Render version is supposedly an accurate translation of the Japanese game, but I very much doubt the accuracy, especially in the events where cursing was entailed. Sky Render overdoes it in his version, and I have a serious disbelief that the original makers would have THAT much cursing.

KoShiatar
05-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Humm, actually no, his translation choices are often debatable and there are some mistakes, but he doesn't overdo swearing very much. For instance, when Relm finds Stragos at the Fanatics Tower in the Japanese version she calls him "kuso jiji" which means no less than "sh*tty old man" and goes on ranting for a while.

beema
05-09-2006, 09:47 AM
yes they censored things like death.... and things like Siren in the american version, yes the Siren summon was "censored"

JAPAN

AMERICA

THE JACKAL

omg buttcracK!!

Crossblades
05-09-2006, 02:50 PM

JAPAN

AMERICA

THE JACKAL

I could've sworn they uncensored Siren in the PS version

Rengori
05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
They uncensored a lot of stuff in the PSX version, mostly graphics. (waits for Kishi to, as always, prove me wrong)

Prancing Mad
05-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Funny how a man's bum is funny, but a woman's is sexy and should not be seen, period. Say like in jackass or something

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-10-2006, 03:20 AM
They uncensored a lot of stuff in the PSX version, mostly graphics. (waits for Kishi to, as always, prove me wrong)Prettymuch only graphics, really. The script went virtually untouched, as did the names of things like enemies, items, and so forth.

DJZen
05-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Humm, actually no, his translation choices are often debatable and there are some mistakes, but he doesn't overdo swearing very much. For instance, when Relm finds Stragos at the Fanatics Tower in the Japanese version she calls him "kuso jiji" which means no less than "sh*tty old man" and goes on ranting for a while.

Right, but you have to take into consideration the cultural differences. As I hear tell, in Japan, sh*t isn't as dirty of a word as it is here. The word is the same, but the impact is different. Similarly, there isn't as much taboo in Japan regarding nudity. But god help you if that nudity includes any pubic hair!

Anyway, my point is litteral translations often lose more in translation than interpretive translations. Relm's words might have been "sh*tty old man" but as I've heard it told, the meaning is a little closer to "stupid old fart". It's still an insult, but it's nothing you couldn't hear on daytime television.

I'm sure someone is going to correct me on this.

Zeromus_X
05-10-2006, 05:53 AM
'Kuso' seems to be an all-purpose swear-word/exclamation anyway. (From what I've noticed.) :cat:

Still, they'll probably leave the GBA script like Woosley's, for nostalgia. Although it'd be kinda neat if they freshened it up, like Ryukishi said. :cat:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-10-2006, 06:29 AM
'Kuso' seems to be an all-purpose swear-word/exclamation anyway. (From what I've noticed.) :cat:"Kuso" literally refers to excrement. It's often "translated" as something less offensive in English, which is a case of the interpretive stance DJZen described.

Fantasy Fan
05-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Funny how a man's bum is funny, but a woman's is sexy and should not be seen, period. Say like in jackass or something
Yeah, why is that? Then again, who'd wanna see a man's bum? :x

Mirage
05-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Girls would.
Guess it's part of the whole "If a girl sees a naked guy, the guy is a flasher, but if a guy sees a naked girl, he's a peeker."

Michael Belmont
05-11-2006, 11:46 PM
'Kuso' seems to be an all-purpose swear-word/exclamation anyway. (From what I've noticed.) :cat:

Still, they'll probably leave the GBA script like Woosley's, for nostalgia. Although it'd be kinda neat if they freshened it up, like Ryukishi said. :cat:

Oh no no way. The script was phroperly written by the same person who did Star Ocean:Till the end of time.

Zeromus_X
05-12-2006, 01:38 AM
I'd like a source for that.

It'd actually be very hard to believe if they didn't re-use the Woosley script, because it holds so many nostalgic lines to all the people who played the game before.

Rengori
05-12-2006, 03:55 AM
'Son of a submariner!'

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-12-2006, 05:53 AM
FFIV's script was completely retranslated for the PlayStation release, but "You spoony bard!" was preserved. So, that shouldn't be a problem.

Zeromus_X
05-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Yeah, but the script for FFIV US was really screwed up. There's nothing that bad with FFVI US's script except all the censorship, but I understand what you mean. :cat:

They better not take out the self-help booklet line.

Rengori
05-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Or the waiter line.
Or any of the other classic Kefka lines.

KoShiatar
05-13-2006, 08:53 AM
It's true, "kuso" and other insults don't have the impact they would have in English, but they're rude language nonetheless. And it's out of discussion to ask if Final Fantasy Vi's script has been really toned down or not. It HAS been.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I've got the translation from zophar.net, and I like how it's more mature. That's Skyblade's, right? I didn't like it when Cefca said the f word, though. I think the best translation for kusou is crap. That's not that as bad as the word that starts with sh.

Yeah, they should keep those lines like "Son of a submariner!" but uncensor everything else, just when they come to "kusou" just translate it "crap" b/c crap isn't that bad of a word like you guys say "kusou" is. Oh, Nintendo's censorship policies are much laxed now, right?

Whoa, Relm says that? Stragos must not be raising her well.

Weird, I type l o l, and it comes out laughing aloud with mirth and merriment.

Skarr
05-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Weird, I type l o l, and it comes out laughing aloud with mirth and merriment.

Welcome EoFF's censorship pal.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
05-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Man, and I thought Nintendo had a strict censorship policy. That's not even a swear word. I just used it to make sure people knew I was joking, although I suppose it's obvious.

Peter_20
05-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Banon = Banan? XD
Haha, that's "banana" in Swedish, ffs!

[ba'na:n]

:D

rubah
05-29-2006, 02:54 AM
some of the translations are better than what skyblade picked imho.

Moon Rabbits
05-29-2006, 03:06 AM
I got a very good translation (I think) from RPGone.

It preserves the orignal names (Mash, Tina, etc.) and all that good stuff. There are subtle script changes from the official translation. I'm not sure if it actually is, but it seems well done to me.

Zeromus_X
05-29-2006, 03:14 AM
Huh. I actually like the Rubicant hack too, actually.

Then again, I just rename the characters to the JP names no matter what version, so meh.

KoShiatar
05-29-2006, 01:24 PM
That's Sky Render's translation (not Sky Blade's). However, it is debatable in a lot of points.

Michael Belmont
06-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Yeah and what about the fact that Shadow and Relm were father and daughter that was censored out two right? And the claims that ending in both were same? That's defending censorship. That's right they even censored out the romance between Locke and ether Terra or Celes. I hope Square Enix makes the story better so that Locke has gotten over Rachel and Shadow remembers Relm as his daughter so come father's day i write a fan fic of them.

KoShiatar
06-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Michael Belmont, you never learn about what you're told, uh?
I'm not going to waste my time answering you. Learn Japanese for yourself darnit.

Michael Belmont
06-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Why do you think there the same huh? Look i'm a Cloud/Tifa shipper not a Terra worshipper. But i will learn japanese just give me some time.

Necronopticous
06-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Similarly, there isn't as much taboo in Japan regarding nudity. But god help you if that nudity includes any pubic hair!Pubic hair hasn't been a big deal in Japan since 1991. Get with the times!

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
06-14-2006, 12:51 AM
Pubic hair hasn't been a big deal in Japan since 1991. Get with the times!

:eek: :eek: Wow, and when I heard Ted Woolsey say something like that's there's a bit of a sexual playfulness in Japan, I think that was an understatement.