PDA

View Full Version : Subliminal advertising?

Erdrick Holmes
05-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Ever noticed that anything was subliminally advertised?

I was watching Brainiac one time and they had three subliminal messages pop up during the show, then after the show they pointed them all out and asked if you did what they said. It worked a bit with me, during a part of the show the screen flashed for like a nano-second "You are thirsty" and I went to the kitchen for a drink during that part.

MecaKane
05-02-2006, 05:14 PM
There's no such thing as subliminal advertising.
You got something to drink because you WERE thursty. :rolleyes2

Dreddz
05-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Ive never noticed any Subliminal messages, but I could of sworn they were all over Pokemon.

mooglebunni608
05-02-2006, 05:33 PM
that's what the advertisers wanted you to think :D And I've never gotten a subliminal message that I know of....

Captain Maxx Power
05-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, I don't know about noticing subliminal adverts, but I tell you what I have noticed; the cool, refreshing taste of Pepsi. With a taste that can't be beat, Pepsi is THE drink of a new generation.

MecaKane
05-02-2006, 05:40 PM
No, that's what my introductory Psych textbooks and professors wanted me to think, so I'd pass the course. ;)

Well there's no such thing is a bad wording, I should've said it doesn't work, which means it's a pretty bad advertising strategy. >_>

DarkLadyNyara
05-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I know someone who put subliminal messages in a PowerPoint. :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Kevin Nealon is pretty funny.

Miriel
05-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Well, I don't know about noticing subliminal adverts, but I tell you what I have noticed; the cool, refreshing taste of Pepsi. With a taste that can't be beat, Pepsi is THE drink of a new generation.
Your post is not an example of subliminal messaging. That's and advert.

Subliminal messages by definition mean things that are hidden to the conscious mind. Flashes of images that you don't even register when you're viewing something, audio that's barely loud enough to hear. Stuff like that. And it's pretty much proven that those don't work at all.

Placing a coke on the judges table at American Idol isn't subliminal messaging, it's product placement. And it can be debated how effective product placement can be.

Strider
05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/striderx284/smoke.jpg

Erdrick Holmes
05-02-2006, 06:13 PM
GODDAMNIT STRIDER! I was gonna post that >=O

RPJesus
05-02-2006, 06:59 PM
It does, doesn't it? I think what they used to at the pictures, during the adverts, was flash an image of "You are thirsty", like he said. Then they'd flash a picture of Coke or something.
The message goes through to your brain, but you don't think about it consiously. So you start thinking thirsty. Thirsty for Coke. It would be easier to just fill it with Cocaine or something, but I think they stopped that.

Smoke
:greenie:

project X
05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Yvan eht nioj. :D

gyaku_zuki
05-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Ever noticed that anything was subliminally advertised?

I was watching Brainiac one time and they had three subliminal messages pop up during the show, then after the show they pointed them all out and asked if you did what they said. It worked a bit with me, during a part of the show the screen flashed for like a nano-second "You are thirsty" and I went to the kitchen for a drink during that part.

I saw that episode, but I'm weird. For some reason, I can clearly see when they flash up the "hidden" messages. Same for those Derren Brown programmes. My family did not notice at all. Maybe my eyes' "shutter speed" is too fast?

Anyway, if you clearly see them, I don't think they can work.

lady yunalesca
05-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Yvan eht nioj. :D

LOL!!! classic!!! :)

bipper
05-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Right. Subliminally, they cannot make you do something. They can suggest somthing, and you can accept it, but that is it. You got up and got a drink because you were thirsty, thier bringing this to your attention caused yourself to focus on your thirst and therefore you went to quench it.

On the same note, subliminal advertising does very well exist, to say it doesn't is an idiocy. The potency is what the debate is amongst advertising agencies, lawyers, pyscologists, etc.

Bipper

Meat Puppet
05-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Don't you work for McDonald's?

Erdrick Holmes
05-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Don't you work for McDonald's?

... no comment.

Captain Maxx Power
05-02-2006, 08:42 PM

Huh, subliminal advertising? What are you talking about? I didn't say anything.

Eat at Taco Bell.

bipper
05-02-2006, 09:00 PM

Huh, subliminal advertising? What are you talking about? I didn't say anything.

Eat at Taco Bell.

hEy, subliminAl adverTising? whAT are you TAlking COversley aBout? 'ELL, i didn't say anything.

-Would technically work better? well.. with out the gorssly enlarged font.

lol

Samuraid
05-02-2006, 10:14 PM
From what I've heard, subliminal messages in public broadcasts are illegal.

And yes, they can be effective at times.

Strider
05-02-2006, 10:25 PM

Levian
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
I, Robot. --> Converse shoes.

bipper
05-02-2006, 10:32 PM
I, Robot. --> Converse shoes.

That is simply product placement. The subliminal arts are quite a bit shadier than that.:cool:

Maxico
05-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Yes, as mentioned earlier, subliminal advertising is illegal.

So to answer the orginal question, I havn't seen anything subliminally advertised and neither should anybody else have.

Shoden
05-02-2006, 10:55 PM

are ya smoking yet?

Erdrick Holmes
05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Hmm, all the sudden I feel like having a taco and a cigarette.

project X
05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Hmm, all the sudden I feel like having a taco and a cigarette.
You don't want to join the navy? :(

rubah
05-03-2006, 12:19 AM
If you're noticing subliminal messages, someone just got fired.

Erdrick Holmes
05-03-2006, 12:52 AM
I agree, I, Robot was a crappy movie wrapped in commercials for Converse, Heineken, JVC, the USPS, and I think Pepsi was there somewhere.

Perducci
05-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Ive never noticed any Subliminal messages, but I could of sworn they were all over Pokemon.

Yes. I think they flash 'PLAY THE GAME' every so often during the show, because whenever I watch it I end up playing the game until like 5am.

NeoCracker
05-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Once me and two other people made an add for marketing class that was advertising Linkin Parks Meteora album, and it kept flashing Buy meteora, though we made it obvious.

Also I helped a friend with his presentation in power point, and if you took the first letter of every slide title it spelled kill bush.

MecaKane
05-03-2006, 01:22 AM
I agree, I, Robot was a crappy movie wrapped in commercials for Converse, Heineken, JVC, the USPS, and I think Pepsi was there somewhere.
What? Does that have anything to do with subliminal advertising? I'm confused. :confused:

Strider
05-03-2006, 05:35 AM

Miriel
05-03-2006, 05:51 AM
That's not subliminal messaging, that's product placement.

Shaun
05-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I'd never fall for that crap. To add to that, subliminal advertising is illegal in many countries.

Fatal Impurity
05-03-2006, 04:40 PM
there was one film where there really was subliminal messaging cos on my pirate copy of "freddy versus jason" dot messages flash on the cinema screen just for a nano-second and it happens with three different dot shapes through the film....it freaked me out......im still wondering what the messages mean....:O

Mirage
05-04-2006, 01:57 PM
I've noticed a lot of subliminal messages in Fight Club, the flashing cock isn't the only one. I also got a promotional VHS tape for some band once. It had the band's logo flashing several times. Just too bad the framerate for VHS is so low, you can easily notice each and every of them.

Madame Adequate
05-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Subliminal messaging isn't effective, or so I hear. I'm more interested in superliminal messaging.

"HEY! You two! Join the Navy!"

project X
05-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Subliminal messaging isn't effective, or so I hear. I'm more interested in superliminal messaging.

"HEY! You two! Join the Navy!"
:love: :love: :love: !