PDA

View Full Version : Running FFVII on Windows XP

kevinsal
05-02-2006, 06:49 PM
I have been looking for weeks for some way around the Windows xp problems running FFVII.

Currently I run the game and the title movie just displays garbage, I get to the New game or Continue screen and after i choose new game the same thing happens. I then see a black screen with music playing.

I have tried all of the patches. Is there anyways around this?

Currently the PSX version is a rare game costing over $60 :-( , so I would love to get this working. Its one of those things that drives you crazy until you get it working.

Any help would be great.

gyaku_zuki
05-02-2006, 07:07 PM
I need a few things to get it running:

First, use compatibility mode for Win98 (Right click on the EXE or SHORTCUT, click properties, click Compatibility, select Windows 98 from the drop list.)

Second, use the "Official" EIDOS patch 1.02. It's hard to find on the net now, but if you need it, I have it saved for when I need it.

Third, you need the Chocobo Patch. Again, if you need it, let me know.

kevinsal
05-02-2006, 09:46 PM
yes I need those patches, I left you a pm with my contact info please contact me asap!!

;-)

Andy001
05-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Also try running the game in Software Rederer mode , this helped me a little.

kevinsal
05-02-2006, 10:12 PM
ok after applying the 1.02 patch

ff7102zx.zip

and the chocobo patch I am still having problems. When it boots up the music plays and blotches pop up.

next the new game continue look perfect, when i hit new game I get this with more music

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/9036/ffvii8rr.jpg

gyaku_zuki
05-03-2006, 10:51 AM
what is ur graphics card? you may have used the wrong version of the 1.02 patch, as the patch you used is for the Riva128 and Riva128ZX cards (hence the zx at the end of the file name)

The garbling looks like rendering errors (possibly due to using the wrong patch), try changing from hardware rendering to software or vice versa using the config util.

Finally, since I know about computers (a lot) I tinker around with stuff, and I have long since installed http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows/appcompatibility/default.mspx, which is the enhanced version of the WinXP compatibility tab. It has some in-built settings for FF7, and installing and activating its patches will possibly help out.
Once you install the toolkit, open up the "compatibility administrator" bit of it, then in the left panel, go "System Database > Applications" and select Final Fantasy VII. If the "Fix" button at the top is coloured, press it. Then, press run, and see if it works. If so, then you will be fine from now on (IE you don't need to load up the tool each time, you can just run the game as normal.)
Try this from a FRESH install by the way, and then if you crash later at the chocobo races, install the chocobo patch.

Failing ALL that, try this unofficial patch (I don't like using unofficial patches, but anyway):
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/finalfantasy7/patch/1565.html
might work. Make sure you fully uninstall and reinstall before trying this patch.

I think the Compatibility one will fix you (fixed me), if you need help setting it up, PM me or post. Its a little complicated to use, but has in-built fixes for many older games, including FF8 also.

kevinsal
05-03-2006, 01:54 PM
My current card is:

XFX PVT40KND Geforce 6800 128MB DDR AGP 4X/8X

Does this change your diagnosis at all? I have heard somethings about my card having trouble with 8-bit textures. I will try a fresh install as well to start over from scratch.

Thanks again for helping, Ill be happy to try this when I get home from work.

:tonberry:

gyaku_zuki
05-03-2006, 07:25 PM
yea the patch u used is wrong. but try the compatibility toolkit using the method i described above.

kevinsal
05-03-2006, 11:21 PM
ok I got the tool went into System Database --> Applications and clicked on Final Fantasy VII

For some reason the Fix button is not highlighted, I tried clicking all the files and the fix did not light up. There are actual items on the list that say there are 2 fixes, but im not sure how to initiate them.

When I click run on ff7.exe the game boots up and the video starts to play but it is super slow and very choppy, it took over 2 min for the first logo to show up, and it also seemed like I was zoomed in so I could only see 1/4 of the logo.

It doesnt look like I applied the fix to the program, am I missing something?

Kavliari
05-04-2006, 05:11 AM
The reason the fixes arn't usable is probably because you havn't installed ffvi into the default installation directory. Check this and if you still have problems get a copy of windows 98/me and partition your hd with just enough room to play ffvi :P

Also make sure you completely delete the directory after unninstalling, this will get rid of any leftovers from the incorrect patch you installed.

Zeromus_X
05-04-2006, 05:15 AM
Currently the PSX version is a rare game costing over $60

:cat:? If it's being offered for over $20, it's not a fair deal. :cat: You can definitely get it for under $20. It isn't that rare at all.

Still, I suppose if you want to play the PC version, the advice everyone else has given will have to do. :cat:

kevinsal
05-04-2006, 05:36 PM
I do have the game installed in the default directory..

c:\program files\square..\ffVII

Is there anyway to force the fixes?

For some reason I just dont think its going to work on my computer. Im not sure how to really install a partition either, I dont want to screw up my hard drive.

I downloaded the PSX rom and i started playing that, eventhough I would much rather play the PC version, from what I can remember the graphics looked so much better.

Masamunemaster
05-05-2006, 01:32 PM
where did you find the computer version of it and how much was it

kevinsal
05-05-2006, 01:48 PM
oh wow, I have had this version for over 6 years. I got it when it came out back in the day.

I've seen on ebay it going for only $20, when the PSX version is $50. I think the rumor is out that the PC version doesnt run on newer machines, and now that Advent Children came out the PSX version is off ALL shelves and the price is way too high....

I've gotten the game only to slighty work in the smallest resolution, but the video plays zoomed in and was upside down before I applies the upside down patch. Once the movies get done playing the New Game Continue pops up but if the movies dont play right its not worth playing the game. For some reason I dont like the psx version, the graphics are too blotchy..

Oh well hopefully someone makes a real patch down the road.

Hayabusa
05-05-2006, 02:06 PM
When I get home which will tomorrow since my prom is tonight I'll link you guys to the two patches I had - The updates most likely will JACK it up - one patch messed it up were it would load up and all I'd see was Cloud....nothing else - I had to fix, the chocobo patch and movie patch cuz they started to skip - And this was weird for me....it always ran kind of slow not bad but slow - I thought my computer just sucked but at RANDOM the keyboard would stop working, and I"d be in a battle so I plugged in my gamepad and once I did that it started working ALL smooth - Remove the gamepad it wouldn't run smooth- Doesn't make much sencse does it? But, I started using the gamepad! lol :)

Masamunemaster
05-05-2006, 04:42 PM
my friend lost one on ebay a while back but cant find it again

gyaku_zuki
05-05-2006, 06:05 PM
ok I got the tool went into System Database --> Applications and clicked on Final Fantasy VII

For some reason the Fix button is not highlighted, I tried clicking all the files and the fix did not light up. There are actual items on the list that say there are 2 fixes, but im not sure how to initiate them.

When I click run on ff7.exe the game boots up and the video starts to play but it is super slow and very choppy, it took over 2 min for the first logo to show up, and it also seemed like I was zoomed in so I could only see 1/4 of the logo.

It doesnt look like I applied the fix to the program, am I missing something?

make sure you removed all traces of the program when u uninstalled, maybe traces of your old, wrong patches are interfering, and don't forget to tinker with the config program as well, the "zooming in" could be the rendering method you have chosen.

the fact that you can get it loaded and see the logo proves were getting there :p

kevinsal
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I tried this last night..

I uninstalled, deleted the entire directory, re-installed..

Then I tried the compadibility tool, there is only one rendering mode possible, so there isnt any tinkering I can really do. All I have is the three different resolution modes, and the only one that shows the 1/4 screen logo is the first one. The other two resolutions play music but just display a black screen. I then tried the 1.4 patch and nothing changes...

At this point im about to throw it out the window, its very aggrivating trying to get something working for hours without luck.

I really do appreciate everyones help, but I think its just not going to work.

:cry:

TheKolkster
05-07-2006, 08:10 AM
I hear the Final Fantasy VII Ultima Edition doesn't have any problems.

I bough Final Fantasy VII for computer six years ago and haven't been able to get it to work on XP so I just gave up.

Guernica
05-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Im having problems too. Everything works fine, the beginning animation works...but when it gets to the main screen that says "New Game or Continue" the hand is pointing at the continue button but it freezes and I cant do anything? The Windows XP patch on the main page of this site says "sorry but this installation program cannot install on the Windows NT 5.2 Service Pack 1 Platform".

HELP

Edit: haha, nobody told me FFVII uses the numpad as the controls. I finally started hitting random keys on the keyboad and the hand moved up to "new game". Sweet, now I can finally play. Hopefully it doesnt crash at the chocobo races.

Still having problems with any XP patch Ive tried so far. I get the same error message as above.

gyaku_zuki
05-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Hmm, I really don't know. The Ultima Edition does work, but it means downloading 2 CD images off the net (I think).

kevinsal
05-10-2006, 06:21 AM
haha that could be it. I have the original game that was released, not the Ultima version.

I need to get my hands on that. IF anyone has a good price or whatever please PM me.

gyaku_zuki
05-10-2006, 06:14 PM
No no no, the Ultima edition is like a fan-edited version that runs from 2 discs (using compression) and is more compatible with XP.

It's for download I believe, don't know the site. Google it.

TheKolkster
05-11-2006, 01:32 AM
I have the Ultima edition and I must say, it runs just fine. I'm actually able to play FFVII on my PC with Windows XP without it crashing. :D

I haven't really played thought, because I can't get ff7music to work. I don't like the Midis, so I'm trying to use the music from the FFVII OST. Everytime I try, the game wont run. It's really weird...

kevinsal - If you still need it and can't find it then let me know. I can hook you up.

kevinsal
05-11-2006, 02:46 AM
ok I was able to get a copy of Ultima Edition...

Unfortunately the same thing happens.. The movie starts playing slowly and it takes 2 min for the movie to play.

the compatibility tool doesn't apply the patch again it doesnt see the recognize its installed.

PATH

C:\Program Files\Final Fantasy VII

Duncan
05-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Don't know if this will make any difference but, I know the game has all sorts of issue if your video card is set to either force AF or AA settings. FFVII doesn't like either of those settings and you will get all sorts of graphics issues with them turned on. Make sure you set those to application preference before trying to run FFVII.

Master Katarn
05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Perhaps you can try to use the true-motion filter patch found here http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy7/downloads.html?mode=patches

Also, maybe you could try unchecking the NVIDIA checkbox in your settings, even though your card is an NVIDIA one.

Use the FF7-Universe Patch Pack here http://www.ff7-universe.com/Downloads/FF7-U_Patch_Pack.zip

There is also more info here: http://www.ntcompatible.com/Final_Fantasy_VII_c522.html

Don't use the FF7 Windows XP Patch 1.4 floating on the net as I heard that replaces system files.