PDA

View Full Version : Wait........WHAT?

Acid Raine
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
According to IMDB, since nunchaku's are illegal to possess, or portray in the UK, they were renamed "Sticks of Death"

Why didnt I know about this nunchaku law? And sticks of death?

You've got to be kidding me!!!

Flying Mullet
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
If you saw How I Met Your Mother last night you'd understand why they are called sticks of death.

Acid Raine
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
If you saw How I Met Your Mother last night you'd understand why they are called sticks of death.
Damn! I missed that!

Jessweeee♪
05-02-2006, 10:42 PM
I have an interesting story about nun-chucks:

I saw this dude outside with some showing off to a bunch of people, and then he screwed up and hit his "special place" with them. He was in so much pain he just started hurling all over the place! :exdee:

Acid Raine
05-02-2006, 10:59 PM
That is why sticks of death just plain suck.

Kamrusepas
05-03-2006, 02:48 PM
"Sticks of Death" has got to be the scariest name for an object ever.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-03-2006, 03:00 PM
During the '80s and early '90s, Europe associated the word ninja with violence to the extent that products bearing it in their title had to be altered when brought over there. Ninja Gaiden became "Shadow Warriors," Shadow of the Ninja became "Blue Shadow," and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles."

Heero Yuy NWZC
05-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Man...that is just...I can't believe such a thing existed. That sucks. :eep:

Acid Raine
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Um.....so? Giving things associated with ninjas stupid new names isnt going to affect, like.....anything. People are such idiots.

MJN SEIFER
05-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles."

What contry was this in? Because In the Uk it was Ninja turtles...

valentine
05-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles became "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles."

What contry was this in? Because In the Uk it was Ninja turtles...

Well from wikipedia:

"Upon TMNT's first arrival in the United Kingdom, the name was changed to "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" (or TMHT, for short), since local censorship policies deemed the word ninja to have excessively violent connotations for a children's program. Consequently, everything related to the Turtles had to be renamed before being released in the UK. The lyrics were also changed, such as changing "Splinter taught them to be ninja teens" to "Splinter taught them to be fighting teens."

The policies also had other effects, such as removing Michelangelo's nunchakus (which were at the time banned from appearing in even 18-rated movies) and generally toning down the usage of all the turtles' weapons. After many seasons of never using his nunchakus, they eventually disappeared entirely, replaced by a rope with a shell on the end that held small hooks.

By the time of the 2003 TV series, these censorship policies had been abolished, and no changes have occurred in the content of the show. The name "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" remained unchanged for the 2003 show. As a result, in the U.K., the 1987 show is still called Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles and the 2003 show is called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

LunarWeaver
05-04-2006, 05:37 AM
I LOVED the Ninja Turtles ^_^

Wow I didn't really add anything to this at all did I hmm.

MJN SEIFER
05-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Welll that's weird because, When I watched it was "Ninja" even durning 90s and I can remember Ninja's and Nuchakkus (sp) being used in other shows too, SO i'm shocked at this,...

Anaisa
05-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Nunchaku are not illegal to possess in the UK. It's illegal to carry them around out on the street, but not to actually own them. And I've never seen them refered to as sticks of death here either.

_yeojina_
05-04-2006, 12:47 PM
...WTF!!!

Amaru
05-04-2006, 07:49 PM
You're right MJN, as I can recollect the same thing. The first series aired with the original title and lyrics for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but after all the fuss and such, it was retitled to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, and the following series stuck with that.

Jessweeee♪
05-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles...and I thought it couldn't get any cornier...
(I'll admit, I once loved them...7 years ago I think...not that long)
.................................................................................................