PDA

View Full Version : The impact Spirits Within had on the FF series

PontiusPilate
05-02-2006, 10:48 PM
If Spirits Within had been an actually good movie that was actually about FF, FF's profits would have raised 50%. The reason I say this is because I remember as a young lad, I had just got the PS1, but didnt know what to get. I heard some people say the FF series were good. So not wanting to waste my money i decided to see SPIRITS WITHIN to see if id like FF. Well i watched it and came to the conclusion that FF sucked. Only 5 years later did i realize that FF was a master piece. Just imagine all the other people who did the same exact thing as me. If the movie wasn't such a piece of crap i would have gotten all the games. The movie was also released at a critical time for FF when they were trying to draw its most customers. Excuse my french but *snip* spirits within

Don't go around the filters - Miriel

LunarWeaver
05-02-2006, 11:58 PM
I can't say I have ever based my like/dislike for a game series off of the movie adaptions. If you did that, not a whole lot of people would like games, seeing as 99% of them are garbage.

FallenAngel411
05-03-2006, 08:47 AM
As far as I am concerned, this movie was just some random trash with a famous label on it. It never affected my judgements of the games in the least. And you know some staff member's going to blow up at you when they see your clever filter-dodging, right?

Miriel
05-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Movies and games are two different entertainment mediums. I'm sure most people would realize that very rarely do the two match up especially in terms of a movie representing what the game is really like.

I really don't think TSW made much of an impact, at all.

Fatal Impurity
05-03-2006, 02:15 PM
i think the movie rocked and it represented the serie well because of its multiple layers, witty dialogue, developed chracters, good cast, flawless animation, mystical storyline and the fact that you had to watch it more than once (just like the games) to fully understand and enjoy it!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-03-2006, 03:07 PM
If the movie had been a success, Sakaguchi would most likely still be working at Square.

PontiusPilate
05-03-2006, 10:43 PM
And you know some staff member's going to blow up at you when they see your clever filter-dodging, right?

It deserved a good "f" bomb right their. I'l try not to swear, but if u seriously aren't old enough to handle one swear word, you probably are to young to be on a forum in the first place. Haha "filter dodging"... u were actually lame enough to give it a name

Anyway back to topic, if u seriously never played a FF game before and u wanted to see if ud be interested in the series, i bet you would at least think of looking at the movie since its cheap and u can be sure u will like what u buy

i think the movie rocked and it represented the serie well because of its multiple layers, witty dialogue, developed chracters, good cast, flawless animation, mystical storyline and the fact that you had to watch it more than once (just like the games) to fully understand and enjoy it!

I thought the movie only exceled in one area; graphics. Even as a young lad when i could be entertained by the slightest thing, that movie still bored the heck outta me

Attacking other posters and calling them "lame" isn't cool, don't do it again. And please don't double post. - Miriel

SammieBabe
05-04-2006, 03:54 AM
I enjoyed Spirits Within. While it differed greatly from the games it did have the basic elements. However, the movie was not popular enough to have an impact on the games, in my opinion...

DJZen
05-04-2006, 04:23 AM
I thought the movie was fine, but shouldn't have had the "Final Fantasy" tacked onto it. They shoulda just left it as "The Spirits Within". I think that would have improved some people's opinion of the movie.

starseeker
05-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I had difficulty understanding the plot and the science so I found it too confusing to enjoy properly.

PontiusPilate
05-04-2006, 10:13 PM
But just hear this, imagine if they released a movie dedicated to FF7 (not AV, just ff7 so people could follow the plot easier) The movie would be a hit. FF7 AV had incredible action scenes (better than any movie ive seen) Spirits within were mediocre. I think that the FF 7 movie would have helped FF's business profits greatly

Rase
05-05-2006, 12:59 AM
I really don't see the Final Fantasy series struggling that much, so I doubt the The Spirits Within turned millions off of it. And even if it did, does it matter?

PontiusPilate
05-06-2006, 02:35 AM
yes.

wandererwillow
05-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Anyone remember the Final Fantasy games on gameboy? Most people dont even realize that they were never FF games to begin with. They were called SaGa. Square likes to sometimes milk its franchise by doing something like that. Honestly, if the removed the title "Final Fantasy" from it, more people would have enjoyed it. It was the hope that you were going to see a movie that somewhat resembled the games you had grown to love, and it didnt come close. You go in with an expectation, and come out disappointed. FF:SW had a good concept to it, looked great, and wasnt just one long battle sequence with a pause every now and again for story (see: Advent Children). It worked, but maybe not as well as it could have.

PontiusPilate
05-07-2006, 11:21 PM
No, i really didnt go in with high expectations. And i can honestly say taking the name FF out of the title wouldnt have made it seem any better to me. The movie was below average, period. Sorry mates got the reviews to prove it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/final_fantasy_the_spirits_within/

44/100 and 32/100. Ouch

Fatal Impurity
05-08-2006, 08:07 AM
eh.....im piffed off now......but i do agree with the tomato people!

Ramza Beoulve
05-09-2006, 06:13 AM
No, i really didnt go in with high expectations. And i can honestly say taking the name FF out of the title wouldnt have made it seem any better to me. The movie was below average, period. Sorry mates got the reviews to prove it.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/final_fantasy_the_spirits_within/

44/100 and 32/100. Ouch
The reviews not means anything. Is actually your opinion of the movie that matters. I like it, I feel is a little slow, but I don't care.

Necronopticous
05-09-2006, 07:05 AM
But the movie was good, and it was actually about Final Fantasy.

~SapphireStar~
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
As far as I am concerned, this movie was just some random trash with a famous label on it. It never affected my judgements of the games in the least.

Fatal Impurity
05-09-2006, 03:46 PM
i think that the film is just like the series! its completely different from anything attempted before it has witty dialogue, developed characters and cutting edge technology! all i can say is...just like the games some people will like it and some people will hate it! unlike FF:AC which was cashing in on another FF's ideas and popularity! (though it did it VERY well and represented FF7 exquistely but FF:SW wins brownie points for originality)

Lakenbelle
05-09-2006, 04:30 PM
I actually like it.. yeah, it's kind of crappy, but it kept in theme with the FFs in having new chars, new world and all that.

PontiusPilate
05-09-2006, 10:36 PM
But the reviews DO mean something. The whole point of the thread was why Spirits turned people off to FF. And of course yr opinion matters, but the reviews state that ALOT more people hated it than liked it, thats why i chose that site because they gave many opinions. And in my opinion even when i was like 10 and watched it and that smart ass character or whoever said something "witty". My first thought was "...wow that comment was cheesy"

Miriel
05-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I didn't enjoy Spirits Within, but that made absolutely no impact on how I viewed the Final Fantasy games. Seriously, I don't think there's much correlation between the two at all. One is a film, the others are games. Two entirely different entertainment mediums.

PontiusPilate
05-10-2006, 12:41 AM
It depends how old you were when you watched. Keep in mind Im talking about Younger gamers. Not the older gamers who skip their job to go play FF. :)

Ramza Beoulve
05-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Umm, I was really young when I see the movie, and then I had only played the FF6. I don't think the movie impacts in the videogame, is a well known fact that you can't qualify a game of a movie, think Super Mario... The movie was weird, and it hadn't a lot to make sense with the games. When I saw that movie, I still hadn't play the games, and thinked "I will play it just to make sure that it isn't a crap" and the rest is history.

The thing that matters here is that if you really want to play the series, just play them, not try to look for others opinions, because everybody will have a different one.

And the reviews... they are only opinions, and I don't believe them, I just play the games/see the movies and enjoy them.

A good example, I LOVE the game Rhapsody, and the reviews says "is a good musical, but a bad game", but I think different.

You have to play games to enjoy them, no to think "omg, if the reviews and 88 freaks says that the game/movie is crap, then I will not play/see it", remember, they are only 88 persons, not the whole world and your mind in one.

PontiusPilate
05-10-2006, 01:40 AM
Umm, I was really young when I see the movie, and then I had only played the FF6.

God people, listen. I thought the movie was crap! I only used the reviews as an example that more peopel disliked than liked it. you played, THUS you know what an FF game is like. Its not like final fantasy was my only option. If i havent played an FF game and i dont know what to get. Tell me why I should get the game when the movie sucked (keep in mind im young and assuming the movie is related to the game) when i can get a cooler looking game like Crash Bandicoot or Tony Hawks Pro Skater

Ramza Beoulve
05-10-2006, 03:02 AM
Umm, I was really young when I see the movie, and then I had only played the FF6.

God people, listen. I thought the movie was crap! I only used the reviews as an example that more peopel disliked than liked it. you played, THUS you know what an FF game is like. Its not like final fantasy was my only option. If i havent played an FF game and i dont know what to get. Tell me why I should get the game when the movie sucked (keep in mind im young and assuming the movie is related to the game) when i can get a cooler looking game like Crash Bandicoot or Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Thats the reason I POSTED the Super Mario movie example, you know, and still, I don't liked the movie, but still started to play the games...

Miriel
05-10-2006, 07:39 AM
PontiusPilate, watch your tone and try to be a little less rude.

Fatal Impurity
05-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Umm, I was really young when I see the movie, and then I had only played the FF6. I don't think the movie impacts in the videogame, is a well known fact that you can't qualify a game of a movie, think Super Mario... The movie was weird, and it hadn't a lot to make sense with the games. When I saw that movie, I still hadn't play the games, and thinked "I will play it just to make sure that it isn't a crap" and the rest is history.

The thing that matters here is that if you really want to play the series, just play them, not try to look for others opinions, because everybody will have a different one.

And the reviews... they are only opinions, and I don't believe them, I just play the games/see the movies and enjoy them.

A good example, I LOVE the game Rhapsody, and the reviews says "is a good musical, but a bad game", but I think different.

You have to play games to enjoy them, no to think "omg, if the reviews and 88 freaks says that the game/movie is crap, then I will not play/see it", remember, they are only 88 persons, not the whole world and your mind in one.

nice point dude more people need to adopt an attitude like that! everybodys different its just like the "FF10-2 being crap" debate its all about what you like and how you read into the story, script and characters of the game/movie! I suppose it doesnt matter how long or hard we argue about it, peoples opinions are peoples opinions and they probably will never change! :p :D ;) :) :cool:

Ramza Beoulve
05-10-2006, 03:11 PM
nice point dude more people need to adopt an attitude like that! everybodys different its just like the "FF10-2 being crap" debate its all about what you like and how you read into the story, script and characters of the game/movie! I suppose it doesnt matter how long or hard we argue about it, peoples opinions are peoples opinions and they probably will never change! :p :D ;) :) :cool:
True my friend, true

PontiusPilate
05-11-2006, 09:02 PM
true

PontiusPilate, watch your tone and try to be a little less rude.

What tone, its typing.... I bolded and underlined the words so nobody misread what i said like before. thats why i said "God people, listen". Its called a heated arguement, in no way did insult anyone. Smiles and giggles, buddy

Stop double posting. - Miriel

Miriel
05-11-2006, 09:24 PM
PontiusPilate, it's very possible to have a sense of tone and attitude in text. I'm asking you to please stop being so antagonistic. This is a warning.

Reine
05-28-2006, 06:40 AM
I enjoyed the movie, but I didnt see anything similar to FF apart from "Sid"

It was more like Star Wars or something like that to me.

Silvercry
05-31-2006, 10:47 AM
...you mean other than bankrupting Square Pictures, which dragged (then known as) Squaresoft down with it, thereby being the first domino in a chain reaction that would lead to them milking FF VII for every last red cent they can and the eventual merger with (read: them being swallowed up by) Enix?

Other than all that it had no impact at all.

Its a pretty good sci-fi flick. But its also a terrible Final Fantasy.

Topcat
06-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Completely agree silvercry, if it had been a normal sci-fi film i would have no problems with it, but it presented the Final Fantasy series completely differently, there were very few similarities between the film and the series. I remember talking to a friend about it afterwards, who had never played the games and he asked me- "So is Final Fantasy a First Person shooter like Halo?":mad:

starseeker
06-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Does this count as thread necromancy?

Jessweeee♪
06-30-2006, 03:45 PM
But just hear this, imagine if they released a movie dedicated to FF7 (not AV, just ff7 so people could follow the plot easier) The movie would be a hit. FF7 AV had incredible action scenes (better than any movie ive seen) Spirits within were mediocre. I think that the FF 7 movie would have helped FF's business profits greatly

I dunno. If they were to release a movie of it INSTEAD of the game, I would have found it incredibly boring at the time, being a little girl with a short attention span.

Bagheera
07-14-2006, 05:48 AM
The movie was awful. It was cheesey, cliche, predictible, and the characters wern't very likable. The "climactic" scene at the end where what's his name gets killed to save whats her face, was so awful, I actually laughed out loud in the theater. Great graphics, crappy script, crappy movie.