PDA

View Full Version : Origins Or Dawn Of Souls

Cid Vicious
05-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I've seen both on Amazon for around £12. I'm thinking of buying it. But which one is better?

Also can Origins be played on a European PS2 console?

Venom65437
05-03-2006, 08:12 PM
I have both. The only real difference is the extra dungeons in DoS, and of course the much better (in my opinion) leveling up system in FF2. If you use your handheld a lot, then go for DoS. If you don't, I'd probably just stick with Origins.

The only real way you can go wrong is not to get one or the other.

Or you can be like me and own both.

Freya Coral
01-25-2007, 05:05 AM
Neither. The NES version owns all. :D

Dr Unne
01-25-2007, 02:36 PM
The music and graphics in FFO are much nicer. The difficulty level in DoS is much easier than in FFO. FFO is better in my opinion but it lacks the extra dungeons. Both are worth getting.

ljkkjlcm9
01-25-2007, 02:37 PM
neither... the new PSP version lol

I actually prefer the NES version, cause that's the version I played and started my gaming "career" on.

THE JACKEL

Paul
01-25-2007, 02:47 PM
FF Origins will work on a european playstation only if it's the PAL version, (unless your PS is chipped) so be careful.

i haven't played origins, but i would highly recommend dawn of souls it is great, i find that the small 16bit graphics look better on a handheld than on a massive screen.

Crossblades
01-25-2007, 03:05 PM
I only played the DoS version, and I found it very enjoyable

Darth Anarcus
01-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Also, Origins has FMVs at the beginning and end of the games, which may or may not be important to you.

BustaMo
01-25-2007, 05:46 PM
I just bought Origins off of Amazon with the guide for like a $24 package total. I started playing FFI on Origins years ago, but only got like 9 hours in. It was a borrowed copy so I returned it and told him I'd buy my own someday and finish it. I'll start it up after I beat FFVI. Damn Kefka's Tower.

Martyr
01-26-2007, 05:51 AM
The original is the best, in my humble opinion.

And Origins mimics the nes version, so Origins is definitely the better pick.

DoS is so easy, with different number systems and cahracter attributes and new levels and so on that it's hard to call it FF1. It's more like a game based on FF1 Origins, which is based on Final Fantasy, which is an old nes game.

So buy friggin' Origins and play it. If you want to play a cheap game that's very similar, then check out DoS.

Especially since FF2 is pretty cool.

01-26-2007, 10:18 AM
I just started playing the DoS version. I like the NES better. The extra dungeons are nice, but there isn't anything remotely like a challenge. The NES wasn't especially challenging as it was, but in DoS I consider a difficult battle anytime the enemy doesn't die in one hit.

People complain about null attacks in the NES, but they were a good thing. It made it so you actually had to think for three seconds instead of mashing the button all the way through the game.

robfinalfantasy
01-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Come on guys! Don't be smartasses and say "neither." He wants to know which of the two is best. Let's help him out here.

Buy Origins. Dawn of Souls was dumbed down. Level ups are easy to obtain, weapon/armor/spell costs were also lowered. There is no challenge in it. At least Origins lets you choose whether you want regular difficulty (what people call "hard") or easy.

FF1BlackMage14
01-28-2007, 08:40 AM
I haven't played Origins, but it sounds much better than Dawn of Souls. Why? DoS is too easy, and they changed too much.
1. There's a retarded pool of magic instead of the amount of times you can fire a spell for each magic level.
2. You can save (permanently) ANYWHERE. So, you don't need a tent, cabin, or an inn. Just say "save" and you're good to cheat your heart out.
3. They add a crapload of new items, "Ether" and "Phoenix Down" being the worst of them all. So, if you run out of your huge pool of magic, just give yourself a few ethers and your MP's back up to full again. And, phoenix down revives one of your party members. An ITEM that you can buy from the beginning of the game at Corneria. So, basically, you don't really need a White Wizard at all.

I can't really think of the limitless amount of other stuff I didn't like about it off of the top of my head, but trust me, the GBA version is not FF1. Don't waste your money - just use an emulator+ROM like I did.

KasaiDraco
01-28-2007, 03:53 PM
^ Yeah, I used an emulator too. More fun that way. Don't get Orgins. The loading times are slow! So stick with the emulator. The game isn't too hard to find either.

DarkLadyNyara
01-29-2007, 03:25 AM
I only played the DoS version, and I found it very enjoyable

Ditto, though I am playing through Origins now. It really is a matter of personal taste.