PDA

View Full Version : Should I get this game?!

PontiusPilate
05-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Ok so ive played two tactic games in my lifetime. Tactics Ogre Knights of Lodus and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Tactics Ogre was one of my favorite games of all time. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance however, was a huge let down for me. The law system i think ruined the game and also it just didnt give em the same feeling as TO did?

My question is, should i get this game? and if not what other games would u recomend that are tactics?

Zeromus_X
05-03-2006, 11:52 PM
I'd get it, for sure. Remember FFTA? Now take out those annoying laws. There ya have it! (Well, no laws is a good thing. :cat: )

But yeah, if you can find it and play it, I'd do it. :cat:

Make two save files.

dodhungry
05-04-2006, 12:24 AM
IF you can find Tactics heck yes I would buy it. Wally World used to have a Greatist Hits Version which can probly be found in a pre owned gamming store.

But yeah very similar to FFTA but much much cooler:D

PontiusPilate
05-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Make two save files.

why should i make 2 save files?

and canu tell me how it differs from FFTA (story, gameplay etc.) and what would u give it out of 10

Crossblades
05-04-2006, 01:51 AM
The music alone makes this game worth getting:) Plus, it's fun

Tempest
05-04-2006, 02:38 AM
You've played FFTA and haven't played FFT!? :eek: Dear God, yes! Get it if you can find it. There isn't much else I can add that the others haven't stated but, one thing is in that you can adjust the the angle of the battle scenes unlike FFTA. I hope you can find it if you're going to get it. :)

RedCydranth
05-04-2006, 03:31 AM
can u tell me how it differs from FFTA (story, gameplay etc.) and what would u give it out of 10

Well, there aren't races like FFTA, all characters can become all jobs except a few special characters. There are no annoying laws like in FFTA. I would say it is a LOT more like Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodus than FFTA, seriously.

Story wise it blows FFTA out of the water. There's a lot of in depth story that requires some heavy paying attention to undertand whats going on, but that SHOULD be a prerequisite of any decent RPG.

Out of ten, FFTA gets a 3, TO:KoL gets a 7 and FFTA gets a 9

Zeromus_X
05-04-2006, 04:01 AM
Make two save files.

why should i make 2 save files?
There are points in the story where you'll have to do multiple battles in succession without resting or leveling or being able to stock up on equipment, so a second save file before you enter that area/battle is necessary to go and train so you don't have to start a whole new game. :cat:

Octorok
05-04-2006, 04:31 AM
Not to mention that you actually have to work for your abilities instead of simply attending battles.

There are certain things that make FFT a crapload more difficult and frustrating (yet more rewarding) than FFTA that you should expect:
-Once a character dies, they're set on a timer of three rounds; once it reaches zero, the character dies permanently (often making you race to revive your character before you have to reset your game).
-Spells and many abilities aren't instantaneous like they are in FFTA; they require a charge time, in which you really have to carefully plan where you aim your spells.
-There's no exp/jp gain for countermoves; countermoves are also a bit more unreliable and don't occur after every attempted hit unlike FFTA in which they are guarenteed to at least attempt a countermove
-Battlefields have random battles instead of wandering enemy parties; This tends to be a pain since battles take a lot longer than they do in FFT, often making you hesitant to move one space. Also, you can not have a fight on a city or neutral place unless it's a story battle.
-Monsters in random encounters are generally a few levels above your highest character, and are thus always a challenge (makes it a lot easier to level up since FFTA encounters never improve or keep up with your party).

So yeah, all in all, you have to put tons more effort into FFT, but is a very rewarding experiance. Of course, if you don't have the patience for it, don't bother, but otherwise, you can expect a lot of game time from this.

Zeromus_X
05-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Yeah, or you could use all the funky tricks and duplication bugs, but I guess there's nothing like hard work. :p

feioncastor
05-04-2006, 08:21 AM
My question is, should i get this game? and if not what other games would u recomend that are tactics?
Well, you should get FFT, without question. FFT is a necessity. Final Fantasy Tactics is without question my favorite game, ever. Without question. I like it more than any other game -- video, computer, board, card, athletic, whatever -- I like playing Final Fantasy Tactics more than I like doing anything else that I've ever done. And while the story remains the same every time you play it, you can always try different arrangements in your party and thus you have to form new strategies for the battles when playing. The first time through you may use mostly physical types and have only one caster, but the second time, you might have all casters. Or you might have all Oracles (if you want a serious challenge).

However, if you're looking for another excellent strategy game, I'd recommend Vandal Hearts (by Konami). It's a freaking good strategy game. It's much more guided, with a lot less options than FFT or even FFTA, but the battle system is fun, and the story... Well, I guess the store leaves a lot to be desired, but the game is still very fun.

BG-57
05-04-2006, 12:29 PM
You should get it. For many reasons:

1) Flexible Job system. Think of FFV, but taken to the next level.

2) Lots of cool subquests.

3) Large number of characters each with unique abilities, so you can picks your favorites for any situation.

4) Complex, nearly Byzantine plot.

5) Music is nice.

6) Aeris cameo.

7) If you liked Cloud, you can recruit him here too.

8) It's perfect level of difficulty. Things get harder if you try to get everything, but it's not impossible.

9) More than one way to get most things, which is good if you accidently miss something.

10) You can get most generic enemies to switch sides.

11) Monster breeding! One of my personal favorites.

six underground
05-04-2006, 01:22 PM
yes you'll love it :)

project X
05-05-2006, 07:02 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/greatestgames/index.html

Find FFT on there and it'll give you plenty of information about it. I, for one, LOVE FFT. I was so disappointed with FFTA. It was almost nothing like FFT. The storyline was.. ugh. And the laws? Bad. D: Don't even bother comparing them, FFT wins in every single way.

PontiusPilate
05-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Alright well thanks for the advice, i just got the game yesterday

Markus. D
05-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I reckon Disgaea is better.

Octorok
05-06-2006, 07:42 PM
I have a copy of Disgaea, but I haven't begun playing it yet because I'm out of memory space for a new save file.

It does look interesting though, what with the combo-system, but it seems very linear and a limited job system;
that's just on my take before I've actually started playing though, could you give me a better idea of what the game's about?

RedCydranth
05-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Sure it better if you like no class changes, weaker cutesy storylines and an extremely LONG AND TEDIOUS leveling up system.

Octorok, The game is good, it really is, but comparing it to FFT isn't really a good thing to do as they're opposite side of the spectrum from eachother. Basically the only thing they have in common is tactical gameplay.