PDA

View Full Version : Da Vinci Code material

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Ok Im not someone who has jumped onto the Dan Brown fan wagon. Of course I am a fan of his, but his topic in DVC I have questioned since I was a child, eg is the Bible telling us everything? So of course the DVC was a breakthrough for me because I could never go agasint my faith coming fron a Catholic background.

Now I want to look more into the subject and I want to know what books are good for looking more at the Jesus bloodline.

I thought about getting "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh. This was the one that took Dan Brown to court, Ive been told to avoid it because it doesnt shed anymore light on the matter because Dan Brown has explained most of it in DVC.

The one I thought would be good is "The Magdalene Legacy: The Jesus and Mary Bloodline Conspiracy - Revelations Beyond The Da Vinci Code" by Laurence Gardner. Ive been told to aviod that one because it was plainly rubbish.

So has anyone read either of these and can say anything posertive or are there others out there that are better? It would help me because the Bible has always fasinated me, but I want to go beyond its "cover" story.

Oh and remember, cinemas worldwide: 19th May :D

Evastio
05-04-2006, 03:55 AM
So of course the DVC was a breakthrough for me because I could never go agasint my faith coming fron a Catholic background.
You're Catholic? I thought I was the only Catholic person here on Eyes on FF.

I thought about getting "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh. This was the one that took Dan Brown to court, Ive been told to avoid it because it doesnt shed anymore light on the matter because Dan Brown has explained most of it in DVC.

The one I thought would be good is "The Magdalene Legacy: The Jesus and Mary Bloodline Conspiracy - Revelations Beyond The Da Vinci Code" by Laurence Gardner. Ive been told to aviod that one because it was plainly rubbish.
Yes. Avoid those books. Anything that isn't written/approved by the pope that involves the Catholic religeon should be ignored.

So has anyone read either of these and can say anything positive or are there others out there that are better? It would help me because the Bible has always fasinated me, but I want to go beyond its "cover" story.
I haven't read them. If I did I wouldn't be Catholic anymore. Practically all Catholic books are better than the 2 you just mentioned above.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-04-2006, 04:24 AM
So of course the DVC was a breakthrough for me because I could never go agasint my faith coming fron a Catholic background.

Yes. Avoid those books. Anything that isn't written/approved by the pope that involves the Catholic religeon should be ignored.

So has anyone read either of these and can say anything positive or are there others out there that are better? It would help me because the Bible has always fasinated me, but I want to go beyond its "cover" story.
I haven't read them. If I did I wouldn't be Catholic anymore. Practically all Catholic books are better than the 2 you just mentioned above.
What.
You can read books and still be Catholic. In case nobody told you.

Winter Nights
05-04-2006, 02:33 PM

Just to note, it's not likely that you'll find any books on this subject that is approved by the pope. You pretty much just told her to stop researching the subject.

And think outside the box. There are other opinions out there, besides the popes. It's called "thinking for yourself".

Mo-Nercy
05-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Someone here has obviously failed high school history.

If you restrict yourself to books that will only say what you want them to say then ask yourself the question, what are you really learning?

It's better for you to look into those books you've mentioned and decide for yourself if they're rubbish. You will have to look at them objectively and with an open-mind.

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Hope that wasnt aimed at me. And is that what Americans call Religious Studies? History? History to us is a completely different subject, well in my Catholic school it was.

Just to note, it's not likely that you'll find any books on this subject that is approved by the pope.
Thats what I thought, the current pope is trying to ban the DVC because he sees it as blasphemy. So I doubt he would write anything on the subject.

Winter Nights
05-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Hope that wasnt aimed at me. And is that what Americans call Religious Studies? History? History to us is a completely different subject, well in my Catholic school it was.
It's the same way in the US. I think that was aimed more at Evastio.

Maxico
05-04-2006, 05:06 PM
It's an airport page turner. Not a particulary good one at that.

You really shouldn't be making life affecting descisions as a direct consiquence of reading it.

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 06:52 PM
It's an airport page turner. Not a particulary good one at that.

You really shouldn't be making life affecting descisions as a direct consiquence of reading it.
Whats an airport turner? I wasnt tlaking about reading the DB novel, Ive done so. Im after material about it. And this isnt going to change my life, Im still going to be Catholic after Ive read the material. It just interests me.

Maxico
05-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I mean it's cheaply written and on par with any other thriller you'd find in an airport bookstore. Entertaining perhaps, but in no way 'great'. It's only achieved the popularity it has through hi-jacking an interesting subject.

If the subject matter intruiges you, by all means look into it. But don't try to base important decisions on a cheap thriller.

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 07:49 PM
I know what an airport turner is, I was asking you what in this thread did you consider an airport turner. You meant the DVC, but I wasnt asking opinions on DBs work, I was asking about other material linked to it.

But don't try to base important decisions on a cheap thriller.
Im not going to. At what point did I state that I may change my life? The DVC hasnt made me hate the Church for possibly having conspiracys. Im just saying that since I was a child the secret life of Christ has fasinated me, but because Im from a Catholic background I was limited to what I should know. So it was a big help for me, cheap thriller or not.

Maxico
05-04-2006, 07:56 PM
That's nice. Just try to keep in mind that the book is primarily fiction.

~SapphireStar~
05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes I know.

Evastio
05-04-2006, 10:47 PM
I think that was aimed more at Evastio.
I never took history in high school.

You can read books and still be Catholic. In case nobody told you.
It's still a bad idea though. Even though it isn't an sin to read Da Vinci Code books it could lead you to sin.

Just to note, it's not likely that you'll find any books on this subject that is approved by the pope. You pretty much just told her to stop researching the subject.

And think outside the box. There are other opinions out there, besides the popes. It's called "thinking for yourself".
Well think about this: Once the authors of the Da Vinci code die, the believers of the Da Vinci code are going to decrease. When the Apostles and Jesus died, their believers were still increasing. The believers (Catholics) still exist today even after 1973 years. If the authors were to die today, people would've totally forgotten about the Da Vinci code in 1973 years. Things made by men never last. Things made by God do.

Anyways ~SapphireStar~ like Maxico said, don't let those books influence you. There's enough traitors to the Catholic church as it is.

~SapphireStar~
05-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Im not 100% Catholic though, I have sinned, well sex before marriage sinned. I dont think reading more on the DVC will lead me to sin. I would never go and chose another faith because Ive been a Catholic all my life, but I sinend because I was a horny teenager.

Once the authors of the Da Vinci code die, the believers of the Da Vinci code are going to decrease.
I dont think there are any followers of this book. The idea of Jesus having a family has floating around before it was written. "Last Temptation of Christ" featured Jesus having sex with Mary Madgelene, which made the film get banned for awhile. People have always questioned the Bible because 11 years of our Lords life has been missed out if I recall, havent read it in a while, shame on me.

Ballistix Man
05-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Evastio every form of christianity is man made.
And more on topic I would suggest reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail Saphire.

Winter Nights
05-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Well think about this: Once the authors of the Da Vinci code die, the believers of the Da Vinci code are going to decrease. When the Apostles and Jesus died, their believers were still increasing. The believers (Catholics) still exist today even after 1973 years. If the authors were to die today, people would've totally forgotten about the Da Vinci code in 1973 years. Things made by men never last. Things made by God do.
Yeah, because the Bible is the only old book/story still read today. Not to mention that most of the theories in The DaVinci Code have been around far longer than the book itself.

Maxico
05-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Anyways ~SapphireStar~ like Maxico said, don't let those books influence you. There's enough traitors to the Catholic church as it is.

You're kind of missing my point there. I don't agree with censorship simply for the sake of withholding information. I think that everything should be put up to debate and the entire 'LALALA NOT LISTENING' approach alot of religons show is stupid.

However, the Da Vinci Code is trite. If you're interested in the theory in question there are other sources of information that don't happen to be cheap thrillers.

fantasyjunkie
05-05-2006, 08:56 PM
U.S. News Magazine just released a special edition a couple of days ago looking at the fact and fiction(true or false) statements from the novel. It's a really good read and details a lot from the book on what the author made up and researched. I would highly recommend it. The information is concise and unbiased.
And for the record, Mr. Evastio, reading a large variation of books increases one's knowledge and awareness of the world around them. That's why people fear them so much.
~SapphireStar~ I would get that US News Magazine, it looks really deep into the facts and myths on that subject. Have fun! ;)

Winter Nights
05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
U.S. News Magazine just released a special edition a couple of days ago looking at the fact and fiction(true or false) statements from the novel. It's a really good read and details a lot from the book on what the author made up and researched. I would highly recommend it. The information is concise and unbiased.
And for the record, Mr. Evastio, reading a large variation of books increases one's knowledge and awareness of the world around them. That's why people fear them so much.
~SapphireStar~ I would get that US News Magazine, it looks really deep into the facts and myths on that subject. Have fun! ;)
Nice to know.. I need to pick that up.

fire_of_avalon
05-05-2006, 09:17 PM
My friend's mom was really into the whole idea of the Magdalene story and the Knights Templar and lots of other things, but when she read Holy Blood, Holy Grail she basically said that it puts passages from the original texts of the Bible (or the oldest texts, if there were no originals) and did etymological, anthropological and historical research to show mishaps in translations, double meanings, possible hidden meanings and things like that. Their basic take on it is that Jesus of Nazareth could have just been a venerated rabbi who had a family, which I think is entirely possible, and that the Knights Templar are people descended from the original Apostles to protect that bloodline. I don't remember of Holy Blood, Holy Grail makes any mention of the Catholic church, but everything I'm talking about comes from hearsay, which may or may not be entirely accurate. If anyone else has read the book, please correct me!

Yamaneko
05-05-2006, 10:15 PM
The fact that the Priory of Sion has been proven a hoax and it's supposed last grandmaster, Pierre Plantard, doctored documents in the 1950's pertaining to the "organizations" activites during the seventeeth century, including falsifiying the names of previous grandmasters like Leonardo Da Vinci, leads me to believe that the book is complete garbage, especially the beginning which states the Priory of Sion as Fact.

~SapphireStar~
05-05-2006, 11:46 PM
~SapphireStar~ I would get that US News Magazine, it looks really deep into the facts and myths on that subject. Have fun!
Thanks for that, Im going to try my newsagents and my grandmas newagents cause one of them is sure to be able to order it for me! Thanks fantasyjunkie :D

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-06-2006, 02:09 AM
Hi, nobody is treating the Da Vinci Code as a new Bible. THere aren't followers of it. It is a work of fiction. It's not going to convert you to Vincism. It's a story. Catholics can read it. Anybody can read it. It is not Satan. It is a fairy tale.

<s>Kind of like the Bible.</s>

EDIT: Also, the pyramids seems to be lasting a good while. And Extra gum. That lasts forever! And don't get me started on Energizer batteries.

fantasyjunkie
05-06-2006, 07:39 AM
The fact that the Priory of Sion has been proven a hoax and it's supposed last grandmaster, Pierre Plantard, doctored documents in the 1950's pertaining to the "organizations" activites during the seventeeth century, including falsifiying the names of previous grandmasters like Leonardo Da Vinci, leads me to believe that the book is complete garbage, especially the beginning which states the Priory of Sion as Fact.
Well, I work part time at a bookstore and when I shelve this book it goes into the "FICTION" section of the store ;) The US News magazine I picked up says basically the same thing.

Yamaneko
05-06-2006, 07:55 AM
I am aware that the book is a work of fiction, however, Dan Brown states at the beginning that the Priory of Sion is an actual religious organization. This is not part of the fictional story. So the reader is then led to assume that when they read about the Priory of Sion in the fictional text that it is indeed real. The problem with this is such investigative trickery then leads readers to assume that other parts of the fictional work are also "fact".

NeoCracker
05-06-2006, 08:03 AM
After seeing all the debates and arguments over the Da vinci code I'm starting to believe this guy wrote the book and then went around internet forums and started laughing at all the people arguing about the book. I know I'd do something like that to fill the free time.

Zell's Fists of Fury
05-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Nah. He's laughing at us while he's rolling on his giant piles of hundred dollar bills.

~SapphireStar~
05-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Come one guys, can we please stick to the topic? Im interested in material outside the DVC. I dont care about DB browsing forums.

Lychon
05-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Come one guys, can we please stick to the topic? Im interested in material outside the DVC. I dont care about DB browsing forums.

Seriously. Back on topic, the movie is going to rock the house, at least in the States...and even more specifically, in my home country of California. There's crazy buzz about this movie.

Also, Sapphire Star, I've read both The Magdalene Legacy and Holy Blood, Holy Grail.
I don't know who told you the information in your first post, but Holy Blood, Holy Grail DOES shed light on the ideas discussed in DVC. The book goes into great historical and religious detail, so I would definitely recommend you check it out if you want more information. It's well over 400 pages and provides copious amounts of information on everything in the Da Vinci Code, plus a fuckload more.

The second book, The Magdalene Legacy, is next to worthless. It takes a winding, unfounded approach to the bloodline of Christ by actually naming the children of Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene and citing specific events from their lives. Unlike Holy Blood, Holy Grail, this book has almost no historical or logical support for the fantastical scenarios it creates.

Stick with Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and after that check out the Messianic Legacy.

I hope everyone knows by now that Mary Magdalene was really Jesus's wife and they had children and that those children were protected by a secret organization called the Ordre de Sion. Yes, it's true. :D

Oh, and Mary Magdalene is a goddess that needs to be worshipped. :D

P.S. I'm serious.

-LYCHON

Evastio
05-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Hi, nobody is treating the Da Vinci Code as a new Bible. THere aren't followers of it. It is a work of fiction. It's not going to convert you to Vincism. It's a story. Catholics can read it. Anybody can read it. It is not Satan. It is a fairy tale.
I thought for sure that there were people that did believe the Da Vinci Code material.

Mo-Nercy
05-06-2006, 05:53 PM
It's the same way in the US. I think that was aimed more at Evastio.
I was exaggerating slightly. In high school, I elected to do Extension History which was a lot more rigourous than normal textbook history. We had to gather sources as well as authenticate the validity of the author and whether what he wrote was worth taking to heart or not.

Strangely enough, this kind of history isn't really encourage in University, probably because most of the secondary sources we come across are much much more reliable and we take more of an "yeah, the historian is probably right here" kind of mentality.

My original point still stands, read all you can about the subject if you're truly interested in uncovering the truth.