PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Tactics has changed my life. How about yours?

feioncastor
05-04-2006, 08:32 AM
It's a bizzare and nerdy thing to say, I know. But after reading the thread about whether or not a guy should get the game, I realized how much I love this game.

And yes, it has changed my life. You have no idea the number of solid friendships I've made with others thanks to this game. I'd meet someone into Final Fantasy games, and I'd introduce them to FFT. They prettymuch always get instantly hooked on the game, and we stay up all freaking night playing it. We'll call in sick to work the next morning (or, in the old days, we'd miss school) because we didn't sleep at all, but mostly because going to work/school means no more playing FFT for a few hours. We'd pass out on the couch/floor with the controller still in hand, and wake up hours later with a massive stiff neck. A few Pepsis and bags of pretzels, and we are back into the game.

I honestly love Final Fantasy Tactics. I can't get bored of it. I am not capable of playing this game and being bored or sick of it. I've played over 350 hours of it, total, and that's just what I've played. I've watched the game completed by others from beginning to end about 8 or 9 times, too. And I simply can't get bored of the game. I can't talk about it without getting excited. If someone mentions the game at work or school, I instantly start hearing the songs in my head, especially that one random battle song which I have recently found out is called "A Change of Pace". When I'm at work, I hum the tunes to myself as I'm working, then I go home and play it right away. If I'm depressed or having a bad day, I take my rage out on that filthy dog Algus. If I'm exhausted from work, I unwind by using Stasis Sword (or even Steady Sword LOL).

Don't get me wrong; I play many other games, a lot of the time. I just bought Kingdom Hearts (the first one) and I'm gonna start a new game tommorrow. I bought Suikoden Tactics (hoping to rekindle that FFT magic) and so far, it's really fun. It's no FFT, but it's good. And I also love old side scrollers like SMB, Megaman, Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon and so forth.

But all of these games pale in comparison to Final Fantasy Tactics.

As stupid and nerdy as it sounds, Final Fantasy Tactics has changed my life. If I had not discovered it, I don't know what I'd be doing in the realm of video games today.

Is anyone else that stupidly passionate about this game? Or is it just me?

RedCydranth
05-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I used to be. I would play this game and only this game and it would be my entire life. You all remember me hanging out here being a master with all of you, but since then I have placed Final Fantasy aside (not just tactics, but the entire series) to explore other games and options. I've discovered Nippon Ichi's wonders and the greatness that is Suikoden. Sure I used to play the occasional other RPG like Xenosaga, but I'd always return to my beloved FFT.

Still, FFT remains my favorite game of all time and will probably never be replaced. But what has really turned me off is the lack of effort by Square-Enix to make more games in the tactical genre. FFTA in my opinion was an atrocity because it was a downgrade in almost every category. If it had been made on the Playstation, there could be some better hope because they would have made the storyline better, and the overall gameplay would have been improved.

So, I may not be as passionate as you Feion, but I still hold a flame for the game.

BG-57
05-05-2006, 01:58 AM
Does saying it's the best of the FF series, writing a (lousy) fanfiction, making fanart, and collaborating on a Proposition list with Despotus make me an obsessed fan? :D

dodhungry
05-05-2006, 04:04 AM
I might not be AS passonate but darn close to it. I have urged all my friends to at least try it and have made a short strategy guide for my fiends to use when they needed a little extra help.

But never got so far as to memorize every weapon with its stats and armor with how much hp it gives like one of my friends did with FF7

Octorok
05-05-2006, 04:18 AM
Wow, you're lucky, Feion;
I don't have any friends that play FF at all. :P

For me, FFT is always a guilty pleasure, namely because I've had the same file for the past.. five years? and I'm only at level 70 with Ramza having only mastered four or so jobs.
So it's quite more of an off and on thing for me; for the longest time I was stuck at Limberry Castle, trying to learn Ultima and steal all of that Genji equipment, that I kept one file at that position and quickly rushed through the end of the game.
After that, I put it down for awhile, and only recently I've brought it back up. Needless to say, after finally getting the Genji Equipment as well as Ultima, things move on a lot more quickly and I took on Worker 8/grabbed the Javelin II and Escutheon II and now I'm just kinda wandering around leveling Cloud and developing Beowulf's magic for Math Skill.

Problem is I rarely have any spare time nowadays to sit down and committ my full attention to the game, so I don't really bother.
Not to mention that I'm also working on finally beating Xenogears (still on the first disc) at the same time, so every once in awhile I do a little work here and then switch games and then switch back again.

But I know I've put more time into FFT than any other game out there, so I guess I can share your passion.

On another note:

Does saying it's the best of the FF series, writing a (lousy) fanfiction, making fanart, and collaborating on a Proposition list with Despotus make me an obsessed fan? :D
A proposition list, you say?

six underground
05-05-2006, 08:47 AM
the fact that Ramza is so underrated when he's my favorite FF hero drives me nuts :)

BG-57
05-05-2006, 12:16 PM
A proposition list, you say?

Yup, it lists all the Propositions including which ones give Gil, Treasure, or Unexplored Lands. I'll send you a copy. It will be (eventually) posted on the frontsite.

BG-57
05-06-2006, 08:27 PM
It's on its way Octorok.

And let me add any game that is influenced by Ladyhawke and Apocalypse Now is worth playing. :D